Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Allan

Re: Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

Post by Allan »

There are a handful of members who posts I always read, Old Meph is in that group. I enjoyed his straightforward and objective advice about life insurance, he really knows this industry. I wish him peace in his remaining days, may God bless him and his family.

Allan
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Lee Evans Marshall passed away on January 27th in Williamsburg, VA. This is likely our friend, Old Meph.

http://www.bucktroutfuneralhome.net/obi ... -marshall/
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

Just saw this.... :(
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

To me, his triple play combination of expertise, rationality and patience serves as an exemplar to emulate in one's life.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have no words, but want to express my deepest sympathy to his family.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

LadyGeek, if you follow the link, you could post a brief comment on the memorial page website, I think.
Last edited by ABQ4804 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

FreeAtLast wrote:To me, his triple play combination of expertise, rationality and patience serves as an exemplar to emulate in one's life.
+1
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

alisa4804 wrote:Lee Evans Marshall passed away on January 27th in Williamsburg, VA. This is likely our friend, Old Meph.

Such sad news. I can confirm that was our friend, Old Meph.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Toons

Post by Toons »

Lee proudly served our country during the Vietnam War in the United States Air Force. "

God Bless :thumbsup
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Sad news indeed. Lux aeterna!

Vic
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

God Bless
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The funeral home website has a button near the bottom, "Post a Condolence," that will allow you to leave a message for the family:

(It also has a "donate" button offering the opportunity to make a donation in his memory to the Heritage Humane Society but I'm going to have to call them... not only do you need to remove all browser cookie restrictions but to my shock, the page where you enter your credit card information is not a secure web page).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nisiprius wrote:The funeral home website has a button near the bottom, "Post a Condolence," that will allow you to leave a message for the family:

Nisiprius,

Thank you for posting your condolences on the funeral home website, with nice comments on how special he was to the Boglehead forum as Mephistophles. I hope his family sees this thread. Sometimes the family is unaware of how special their loved one was to others in another area of life.
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 7: The Powerful Magnetism of the Mean. Reversion to the mean prevails, sooner or later, in the financial jungle.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Miriam2 wrote:
nisiprius wrote:The funeral home website has a button near the bottom, "Post a Condolence," that will allow you to leave a message for the family:

Nisiprius,

Thank you for posting your condolences on the funeral home website, with nice comments on how special he was to the Boglehead forum as Mephistophles. I hope his family sees this thread. Sometimes the family is unaware of how special their loved one was to others in another area of life.
I hope other forum members will post condolences too, of course.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

I saw Nisprius legacy post on the link above. It is indeed sad, I'd hoped there was a chance. Ol'meph's BH.org board input was always outstanding. Condolences & Best wishes
willie838

Post by willie838 »

thanks for all your contributions and sharing of insight to help assist past current and future members.

god speed.
Kohaku

Post by Kohaku »

I just read the book recently and Meph's advice will help me a lot in the future.

Thank you, and rest easy.
Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 »

I, personally, have been a recipient of Ole Meph's sage advice when it comes to all things related to insurance...not just from his well thought out posts but through PMs. His vast experience and expertise in the insurance industry were exceeded only by his generosity in sharing his knowledge and time with others. Rest in peace Ole Meph...you would be sorely missed.
VG23
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

Late to post... Leukemia is bad illness when it strikes adults.

I hope Old Meph has forgiven me for asking him if he was Satan's left hand as detailed above! My kids have watched Cats many a time and my wife loves the musical.

Will add my thanks and prayers him!
Indexed Fully!