What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by VictoriaF »

Banff Mountain Film Festival, Wednesday Program (25 January 2017) at National Geographic in downtown D.C. including films as follows:

Metronomic (2016, France, 5 min.) Filmmaker: Vladimir Cellier
Musicians play an energetic symphony devoted to risk while bunjee jumping, gliding, balancing, and performing other risky maneuvers in the skies above mountains.

Northbound (2016, Norway, 10 min.) Filmmaker: Anders Graham
Four skateboarders skate above the Arctic Circle on the Norwegian coast applying their urban skills on beach flotsam and frozen sand.

Fast Forward (2016, USA, 8 min.) Filmmaker: Anna Callaghan
Bikepacker and ultra-long-distance racer Lael Wilcox is riding the Arizona Trail—more than 800 miles of desert singletrack.

Mira (2016, Hong Kong, 42 min.) Filmmaker: Lloyd Belcher
A story of a young Nepalese woman winning medals in international running competitions.

For the Love (2016, USA, 14 min.) Filmmaker: Todd Wells
Four guys are paddling in Iceland the most difficult and remote whitewater in the world testing the limits of what's possible.

The Great Siberian Traverse (2016, Canada, 27 min.) Filmmaker: Malcolm Sangster
A 750-mile ski journey through Russia along the Trans-Siberian Railway uncovers a fringe backcountry skiing community.

Doing It Scared (2016, Australia, 11 min.) Filmmaker: Catherine Pettman
Eighteen years after a catastrophic accident that left him partially paralyzed, climber Paul Pritchard returns to Tasmania’s Totem Pole to finish the climb.

Danny MacAskill’s Wee Day Out (2016, UK, 6 min.) Filmmaker: Stu Thomson
Humorous film about incredible mountain biking in rural areas around Edinburgh.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Prime Suspect, +1.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Blues

Post by Blues »

VictoriaF wrote:Prime Suspect, a British police television series starring Helen Mirren as Detective Chief Inspector (DCI) Jane Tennison...
Victoria
As one who spent a career in law enforcement, I consider that show one of the very best of its genre along with "The Wire".

Mirren and company did a spectacular job imho.
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

Bought a juicer immediately after.. :sharebeer
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Blues wrote:As one who spent a career in law enforcement, I consider that show one of the very best of its genre along with "The Wire".
You might also be interested in the French Canadian series 19-2. There are two distinct productions, the original one in French and the parallel production I linked-to that's in English. I don't know on what network it airs in the US.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Blues wrote:As one who spent a career in law enforcement, I consider that show one of the very best of its genre along with "The Wire".
You might also be interested in the French Canadian series 19-2. There are two distinct productions, the original one in French and the parallel production I linked-to that's in English. I don't know on what network it airs in the US.
Thanks, I'll try looking for it. :beer
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

denismurf wrote:Now seen Arrival three times in theaters and still am wowed by the sound effects and presentation of the aliens and their ship.

But it is still a great science fiction story mixed with a slow, maudlin fantasy story that even Amy Adams can't rescue and that was so unnecessary to the science fiction plot.

Eventually it will come to the second run theaters, and I will probably see it again. Sigh.
Just shows how different tastes can be. I've already forgotten the movie it was that bad to me.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Watched "Singin' In The Rain" with minimal soundtrack listening to commentary. Struck by how zippy and energetic it is visually.

Also struck by how well tooled studio features could be in that period. I love the
long takes.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Manchester by the Sea

This movie is receiving a lot of accolades, attention, and awards
but I found it somewhat gloomy and dispiriting. Casey Affleck plays
his role well as a brooding, guilt-laden, blue collar building custodian
just trying to get through life. The real theme is not an uncle becoming
a guardian for his nephew as previews indicate but rather how this man
wades through life weighed down by his past.
I can feel for Affleck's character but he does not allow anyone to reach
out to him and is determined not to find a trace of light except just maybe
a wisp at the end. I can see elements of a good story but too much despair
leaves little oxygen.
Manchester by the Sea impacts people differently so I neither recommend
nor dissuade.
AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 »

fsrph wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:Hidden Figures

I just saw this powerful, evocative, and uplifting newly released movie today. It connected with me deeply on so many levels: the power of math, the importance of fighting racism and sexism, and my early childhood memories of starting school immediately after Sputnik. Anyone else my age (early 60s) will remember how we all held our collective breaths when the astronauts came splashing down. But we did not know at the time that an African African American woman (a human "computer" employed by NASA) made the key calculations needed to assure the success of the program, after overcoming all kinds of obstacles in her path. We also did not know about her pioneering colleagues in the "colored computer" room (literally a room full of African American women with mechanical adding machines) who broke through barriers to become leaders in engineering and computer science. If you are passionate about math, racial and gender justice, or any combination thereof, you need to SEE THIS MOVIE. It just opened nationwide on Thursday and I don't know how long it will be running in the theaters, but please see it!
I recently watched Hidden Figures. I agree with your thoughts on this movie. I thought it was a great movie.

Francis
Agreed, Great movie. Great actors. Great history lesson. My wife and I saw it yesterday. When the movie was finished the audience applauded.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

End of the Road: How Money Became Worthless By XIVETV, A documentary everyone interested in this title should watch at least once on IMDb & AMZNprime.

I decided to watch this the other day....is it real or sensationalism? should I run out, dump my other assets and buy gold now? (half serious, half joking)
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
travellight

Post by travellight »

2 movies so far at the Sundance film festival:

LA Times: a delightful comedy set in LA. Michelle Morgan wrote, directed, and starred in it and she is hilarious.

Polka King: a comedy based on the true life story of Jan Lewan. One of the best performances by Jack Black; it is a fun romp that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Franz: imo, this should get an Oscar nomination next year. Artistic and beautifully shot with wonderful performances.
rakornacki1

Post by rakornacki1 »

Fences with Denzel Washington.
Outstanding acting - terrible storyline.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Light Between 2 oceans.
My wife wanted to see this for her Birthday evening, so I went with it. In my opinion it is a movie that has good acting and a good story.
My wife liked it a lot and I thought it was pretty good. The decisions that people have to make in life are not easy and have consequences.
Anyway I think it is a good one to watch, but not a guy action flick. Now she owes me an action flick tonight.
Dan999
Dan999
jbny2076

Post by jbny2076 »

Waking Ned Devine. Wife stumbled across this and we decided to watch it. Was pleasantly surprised. Good Irish flick and some good laughs.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

Barefootgirl wrote:End of the Road: How Money Became Worthless By XIVETV, A documentary everyone interested in this title should watch at least once on IMDb & AMZNprime.

I decided to watch this the other day....is it real or sensationalism? should I run out, dump my other assets and buy gold now? (half serious, half joking)
I suspect you're referring to a post I made 1 page back. I'd also suspect the movies biased like everything else in Media. It's just something to consider BFG, correct?
I'd suggest you do not act on anything you see in a movie*. Those movie terms would already be priced "in" as they say! Glad you liked & learned a new perspective from the movie. Best 2U.

P.S. Last nights movie was Pills, Powders & Balms- The Cultural History of Medicines. by Klaus Steindl, a non-fiction Documentary on AMZN.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

VictoriaF wrote:Banff Mountain Film Festival, Wednesday Program (25 January 2017) at National Geographic in downtown D.C. including films as follows:
Victoria
Today (28 January 2017) I watched the Saturday program. Next week, I will be watching Thursday and Friday programs. I will spare you the list of films but will say that most of them are tremendously uplifting. The Banff Mountain Film Festival in one of my top three events in D.C.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
travellight

Post by travellight »

An Inconvenient sequel, Al Gore's follow up on global warming. It was terrific.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Zootopia, on Netflix. If you liked Shaun the Sheep, you'll like this one - perhaps a tiny bit better. I agree with previous comments that the DMV scene was hilarious. The scenes after that one had a ton of character references to the "older" age group, which I thought were very creative. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

jbny2076 wrote:Waking Ned Devine. Wife stumbled across this and we decided to watch it. Was pleasantly surprised. Good Irish flick and some good laughs.
This is an excellent comedy, somewhat off beat and very funny. We have seen it several times.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Saw Inferno last night. Really good film with Tom Hanks. Lots of twists turns and action.
You have to make it through the first several minutes of flashback/ psyhchedellic (sp) scenes, but it is worth it once you get through that.
Dan999
Dan999
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Varsity Blues (1999). Extremely good movie! Jonathan "Mox" Moxon (James Van Der Beek) is the backup quarterback for the West Canaan, Texas high school football team. Mox is thrust into the spotlight after the starting quarterback is injured and he is in constant conflict with Coach Bud Kilmer (Jon Voight). This film is an excellent portrayal of the importance of high school football in Texas. It features an all star cast. This is a must see!
travellight

Post by travellight »

Yellow Birds, at Sundance film festival. A harrowing tale of the horrors of war. It was well done as evidenced to me by how much I was disturbed by it.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Crown Heights, about injustice in the criminal justice system... based on a true story. I did not love it. The beginning was a disjointed narrative which is a style I am not fond of.

Legion of Brothers: a documentary about the first troops into Afghanistan. I thought it was just okay and like Manhunt (this director's prior film about the hunt for Bin Laden) much more.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I finished watching Season Five of Homeland Sunday night.
Gordon
Rhadamanthus

Post by Rhadamanthus »

Doctor Strange. I've seen most, but not all, of the Marvel movies and for me it ties for first place with The Winter Soldier. Now if only they'd make a good Silver Surfer movie (and maybe introduce Adam Warlock without screwing him up), my life would be complete. 8-)
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Another heartfelt vote for Hidden Figures. It manages to negotiate some nasty pieces of our (US) history without pulling punches or belaboring the nastinesses, a combination that produces a truly inspiring human story.

Unlike Arrival, another movie I loved, Hidden Figures would work just fine watched on a TV screen fed by a DVD player.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Jackie

A penetrating and moving account of the life of Jackie Kennedy
during the days after the assassination of President John F.
Kennedy. Flashbacks are designed brilliantly to capture the
personal and historical essence of this somber time. The camera
work is superb putting the viewer realistically in each scene and
setting and the music is at times haunting and appropriate to
the mystique. Highly recommended.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

denismurf wrote:Another heartfelt vote for Hidden Figures. It manages to negotiate some nasty pieces of our (US) history without pulling punches or belaboring the nastinesses, a combination that produces a truly inspiring human story.

Unlike Arrival, another movie I loved, Hidden Figures would work just fine watched on a TV screen fed by a DVD player.
We saw this one with my parents and in-laws last weekend. Fabulous film, and after some Google research, it appears that most of it was actually quite historically accurate. Several people stood up and clapped at the end.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Tonight, I watched an Israeli film, Fill the Void, directed by Rama Burshtein, and starring Hadas Yaron, Yiftach Klein, Irit Shelig, and Chaim Sharir. The story is about a young orthodox Jewish woman whose family pressures her to marry her brother-in-law after her sister dies in childbirth, rather than entering into an arranged marriage with a man closer to her age.

The movie won numerous awards in Israel and received universal acclaim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fill_the_Void
Gordon
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Fences

Was disappointed, expected more from cast.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Hell or high water. Great movie with great performances.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Today I saw Tom Stoppard's “The Hard Problem” at the Washington Studio Theater. The play is brilliant and perfectly fits my interests. It combines philosophy, psychology, behavioral economics, neuro science, investing, and hedge funds. Even Black Swans are mentioned, once. I went specifically for today's matinee, because it was followed by a discussion with the cast. That part was also very engaging; the audience has split between those who believe in pure altruism and those who think that altruism if motivated by intangible advantages such as self esteem. One member of the audience said that he was a neuroscientist and that recent research shows that people who do good have 50% lower incidence of the Alzheimer's and some other diseases. And so we has a discussion whether it's a true altruism to be altruistic in order to prevent disease.

As I was walking back home one of the actors has caught up with me and thanked me for attending the show. We started talking about various philosophical and scientific issues brought up in the play. I said that there were many more Black Swans than Tom Stoppard has recognized. The actor asked me about Black Swans. And so I had a chance to provide some insights on Taleb and his work.

Victoria
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

buccimane wrote:Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

I loved this film too and was ready to buy a juicer, in fact I had a couple picked out on Amazon but since I'm neither fat nor sick nor nearly dead my wife said no. Good thing too as I then forgot about it till now.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote:Just finished Psycho on TCM. Have seen it several times. Every time I am surprised all over again on how great a movie it is. Anthony Perkins is quite the actor. Hitchcock is quite the director.
Great film, of course. I went to an art exhibit once where this film was being shown without sound in super-super slo-mo, almost one frame at a time. It took them many hours to show the whole thing. Of course I didn't sit through it but would pop my head in from time-to-time to see what was happening. Even frame by frame and no sound it was pure art. Here’s a description of this artwork: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hour_Psycho
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Nicolas wrote:
buccimane wrote:Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

I loved this film too and was ready to buy a juicer, in fact I had a couple picked out on Amazon but since I'm neither fat nor sick nor nearly dead my wife said no. Good thing too as I then forgot about it till now.
It is pretty inspirational, it is also some major spun vegetarian propaganda. Never understood, from a nutrition aspect, why people are into juicing; "hey, let's eliminate the huge majority of the fiber, but keep all the sugar..." It's extremely cost and nutrition inefficient.
jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 »

Hillary's America and The Inside Job.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

The Gut: Our Second Brain : a non-fiction documentary on AMZN. The stomachs intelligence is a new avenue of research that is fascinating medical sciences research teams all over the world. ~

The Flaw : by D.Ariely & R.Frank directed by David Sington, another AMZN documentary w/a in-depth look at the 08-09 R.E /Credit bubble

Clintons Cash : Everything is for Sale, a movie about Peter Schweizer's book by the same name. My second viewing, very insightful. I'd suggest both the book and the movie!
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Lost in Translation - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/. I watch it at least once every weekend.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Flaws and all, I found Arrival is about family drama in how one dealt with inner demon, integrating sci-fi as its backdrop. It's the sci-fi aspect that drew me to watch. Amy Adams' acting should deserve an award. I do appreciate the "message".

For CGI eye-candy, I found the Hollywood style of Passengers would appeal to folks looking for the cinematic experience in a large venue. The special effect drew me to this movie. J Lawrence is easy on the eye but Amy Adams really rocks as an actor.

From a story perspective, Arrival is more superior; Passengers is just pure pop-corn flick.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Starting watching the series Oliver Stone’s Untold History of the United States'. Interesting to watch and learn some new through a new lens.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Movie "Lion"........... adaptation of the memoir A Long Way Home. About a lost Indian child adopted by an Australian couple.

I liked it. Plenty of tears by all.
JW
Retired at Last
market timer

Post by market timer »

Will try to catch most of the Best Picture nominees in the theater this month. Recently watched Arrival, Lion, and La La Land. All were pretty good--preferred La La Land of these three.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Three I've seen recently:

Hell or High Water. 4* out of 5.
Essentially a modern western, very well done. Loved the stalemate ending. Also (I think this has been mentioned previously in this thread), if there is a top 5 list of "Best Diner Scenes" in the movies, the one here with "So, what doncha want?..." deserves to be on it, alongside Jack Nicholson being unable to order toast in Five Easy Pieces.

Captain Fantastic. 4* out of 5.
A movie about family, but not IMO a family movie. Requires a certain amount of suspension of disbelief (as in, no way do the "Swiss Family Robinson" aspects of the film hold up to scrutiny). But if you are willing to buy in, the journey is worth it.

Victoria (2015). 3* out of 5. (Available to stream on Netflix.)
No, not the recent miniseries on Queen Victoria. The Victoria in this German film is a young Spanish woman looking for a fun night out in Berlin. It doesn't quite turn out as planned and things get very dangerous/ life-threatening. (There is some violence, but not gore.) I think the intent of the director is that one sees the descent as a series of small mistakes that "anyone" could make, but I found that I had little sympathy for her choices. Also, the director appears to have auteur pretensions--the entire 140 minute movie is (or is cut so as to appear to be) one long take.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Anomalisa. I believe it was nominated for an Oscar and lost to Inside Out (which I loved, but this is a serious contender). I loved this film; I have never seen anything like it before. Existentialist and provocative.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night I watched two Kristen Stewart movies on Netflix.

The first was Camp X-Ray, a 2014 movie directed by Peter Sattler, starring Stewart, and costarring Peyman Moaadi, John Carroll Lynch, Lane Garrison, Joseph Julian Soria, Ser'Darius Blain, Cory Michael Smith, and Julia Duffy.

A young soldier is stationed as a guard at Guantanamo Bay where she strikes up an unusual and potentially dangerous friendship with a detainee who has been imprisoned for eight years. (Synopsis taken from WorldCat inter-library catalog.). Quite good. The movie got very good reviews, especially Stewart.

The second was In the Land of Women, a 2007 movie directed by Jon Kasdan (son of Lawrence Kasdan) and starring Adam Brody (The OC), Stewart, Meg Ryan, Olympia Dukakis, Mackenzie Vega (The Good Wife), Elena Anaya, Clark Gregg, JoBeth Williams (The Big Chill – Note the Kasdan connection), Dustin Milligan, and Ginnifer Goodwin.

Devastated over his breakup with his girlfriend, Carter Webb leaves Los Angeles to stay with his ailing Grandmother in her suburban Detroit home. Across the street lives the Hardwicke family. As Carter struggles to reconcile his own inner conflicts, he is drawn into the pains and loves of the Hardwicke women. All the Hardwicke women, in their way, fall in love with Carter. Each woman, in her own way, helps Carter find his way back.
(Synopsis taken from online library catalog.) This also was good, but not as good as Camp X-Ray. Of course, these were two different movies in terms of style and topic.
Gordon
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Loved 'La La Land'. Have seen it twice. DW has gone 3 times, most recently with DD who also enjoyed it.

Very much enjoyed 'Hidden Figures' as well. Wonderful story and great period piece. Have to admit that I was left feeling a bit depressed on reflecting afterwards, a time of such progress in so many areas although I guess some eventually came to call it the decennis horribilis.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
pop77

Post by pop77 »

I stumbled upon a movie called 'Room' in Amazon Prime. Very well made..
Munir

Post by Munir »

"The Crown"- an excellent 10 part series on Netflix streaming about the reign of the current Queen Elizabeth. Great acting, interesting details never known before to the public, very rich photography. It's great all around. There are five more seasons (each 10 episodes) to follow over the next few years.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

There is a great promotion for all of this year's Best Picture Oscar Films from Regal Movies.

http://www.regmovies.com/promotions/Bes ... -Film-Fest

AMC and Cinemark also have similar deals
https://www.amctheatres.com/events/best ... e-showcase
https://www.cinemark.com/oscar-movie-week

The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides