Should I say YES or NO to this new job responsibility?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

Should I say YES or NO to this new job responsibility?

Post by financial.freedom »

I'm in the medical field and our group is being asked to cover another center. The head of the group initially said there would be additional pay since this is additional work. However, it was later announced that the new medical center only needs some of the members of our group and there would be no additional employee compensation.

When I asked where the additional revenue would go, I was told that it is one day a week and it will not generate much revenue however it could be reviewed after the end of 2017 to see how much revenue is generated and then the issue of compensation could be revisited.

Our group acquired an additional (small) hospital in the past. There was no additional pay, just extra work. We were told it wouldn't be that much extra work, but turns out that it's enough to justify one full-time employee. Instead of increasing our pay or hiring another employee, we just had to absorb the extra work.

The benefits I can think of are the following:

1. It might impress the boss by taking on more work and could lead to a later pay increase. The pay increase seems unlikely though, since this never happened when we picked up another hospital in the past.

2. If volumes go down at our current hospital, then this could help supplement the overall volume of work.

The negatives:

1. This is extra work in addition to an already busy schedule, without additional pay.

2. It adds another 10-15 minutes of commuting time.

==================================

If I say no, it may be frowned upon by my boss or others in the group. It seems they need coverage at this center and I should negotiate, but if I'm already told no by the head of our group, then attempts at negotiating an increase in pay may backfire. As an aside, I am already the lowest paid in the group and would like to obtain equal hourly pay.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!
bloom2708

Re: Should I say YES or NO to this new job responsibility?

Post by bloom2708 »

Can you say no? Some of these situations, yes or no is not really an option. The work is coming to someone.

Instead of saying yes or no, perhaps open a dialog dealing with what your priorities are and what your day will look like. Can you delegate some of your current tasks to make room for new tasks?

My assumption is you work 40-50 hours per week. The question may be better asked, "What should I stop doing if I am to take on these new responsibilities?"

If you get into a situation where your previous job is "homework", meaning all after hours/weekends, that can get old real fast. Even if it is "just for a few months".

Life is too short to get yourself into miserable situations.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

bloom2708 wrote:Can you say no? Some of these situations, yes or no is not really an option. The work is coming to someone.

Instead of saying yes or no, perhaps open a dialog dealing with what your priorities are and what your day will look like. Can you delegate some of your current tasks to make room for new tasks?

My assumption is you work 40-50 hours per week. The question may be better asked, "What should I stop doing if I am to take on these new responsibilities?"

If you get into a situation where your previous job is "homework", meaning all after hours/weekends, that can get old real fast. Even if it is "just for a few months".

Life is too short to get yourself into miserable situations.
Good points, thank you for your reply. The head of the group said that we can say no, but it seems discouraged. Since my pay is less, I was thinking of stating that I can pick up the extra work and bring in more revenue for the group if they pay me the same hourly rate as the other partners. Yes, I am currently working full-time (about 45-65 hours per week depending on whether or not it's my weekend to work).
sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 »

That revenue is going somewhere, it's not just disappearing into thin air. Either it will be swallowed up by increased overhead at the new site or it will go to line someone's pocket. The same was true with the previous acquisition as well. How clear are the books at your group?

In the short term, you may not have much of an option to turn down the work, especially if your boss is leaning on you to say yes. In the long run, you might consider a new job that is more equitable.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We were in a completely different field (software development), so I don't know if the results would be the same.

DW and I never turned down opportunities to be more valuable. It worked out well for me, and fabulously for her. The money always showed up, with interest. Your field might be different. Good luck.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

sketchy9 wrote:That revenue is going somewhere, it's not just disappearing into thin air. Either it will be swallowed up by increased overhead at the new site or it will go to line someone's pocket. The same was true with the previous acquisition as well. How clear are the books at your group?

In the short term, you may not have much of an option to turn down the work, especially if your boss is leaning on you to say yes. In the long run, you might consider a new job that is more equitable.
Thank you for the reply. They never show me the books, so I don't know. When I inquire about the finances, I receive vague answers.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

TomatoTomahto wrote:We were in a completely different field (software development), so I don't know if the results would be the same.

DW and I never turned down opportunities to be more valuable. It worked out well for me, and fabulously for her. The money always showed up, with interest. Your field might be different. Good luck.
That was my attitude a few years ago. I made partner after two years and thought that if I kept working hard and taking on more responsibilities it would translate into a raise. So after increasing my workload, bringing in more revenue, representing our group on more committees, I asked for a raise. It didn't happen and now I'm hesitant to take on more work, even if it means the head of the group may be disgruntled.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

financial.freedom wrote:
Good points, thank you for your reply. The head of the group said that we can say no, but it seems discouraged. Since my pay is less, I was thinking of stating that I can pick up the extra work and bring in more revenue for the group if they pay me the same hourly rate as the other partners. Yes, I am currently working full-time (about 45-65 hours per week depending on whether or not it's my weekend to work).
financial.freedom,

1) Are you paid by the hour?

2) If you are willing to work for free, why would I (the employer) willing to pay more?

3) If you are known not being able to say no, why would I (the employer) pay you more?

KlangFool

P.S.: If there is no additional money to be made, why would your employer do it? They are not a charity. It is just a question of whether they get to keep all the money instead of wasting on the employees that cannot say no.
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Do you believe that you are paid what you are worth? Or are you already underpaid? How do you know?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

I am not clear. If you made partner, you should have access to the books as to what profits are made and how they are distributed.

If you do not, I would suggest you test the waters. I would assume that as a partner you do not have a non compete.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

No, I wouldn't without more clarity.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

livesoft wrote:Do you believe that you are paid what you are worth? Or are you already underpaid? How do you know?
Based on percentiles (comparing revenue and pay), I am a little underpaid. The other partners are paid more but I do not know the details.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

Wildebeest wrote:I am not clear. If you made partner, you should have access to the books as to what profits are made and how they are distributed.

If you do not, I would suggest you test the waters. I would assume that as a partner you do not have a non compete.
They call it "shareholder" instead of partner. Once voted in as shareholder, one can then buy shares. I can ask for access to the books and how profits are distributed, but I'm pretty certain they will say no.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

inbox788 wrote:No, I wouldn't without more clarity.
I like the word clarity. I also thought that maybe I could request them to put the details of the new center into my contract, and then that could open up the conversation for contract negotiations and possible pay increase.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

Wildebeest wrote:I am not clear. If you made partner, you should have access to the books as to what profits are made and how they are distributed.

PS - I DO have a non-compete, but think it is not really enforced (maybe not even legal/ binding) in the state of CA.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

What exactly does the word "partner" mean in this situation? In most businesses that are partnerships, all partners have access to the books. How are raises decided? Do the partners vote? In most partnerships, there is no real "boss" who decides your raise, profits are split, perhaps not evenly, but still split.

Ralph
Morik

Post by Morik »

Disclaimer: I don't work in your industry.

I would discuss what you aren't going to be doing anymore if you pick up the new work with your boss--you are already working 45-65 hours a week.
How many hours a week would you expect to work if you pick up this additional responsibility?

I'd tell them that you are already at capacity with your current responsibilities, and if you take on this new one you need to shift some things off. "Its just one day a week"--what happens to the responsibilities you were going to take care of already on that day? Do you still have to do them?
Is this basically saying "hey, wanna work 6 days a week instead of 5, and we aren't going to pay you more?"
If so, that doesn't sound very appealing to me.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

I'd suck it up until I found another job I liked more. The folks you're working for think they can treat you poorly and get away with it. Even if things work out the way you hope, they will eventually find another way of messing with you. Build your career elsewhere.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
mouses

Post by mouses »

You're being played for a sucker. Man fool you once, etc.

I would look for another job. In the meantime, don't stir the waters.

I had a job like yours once. Management would make promises but didn't keep them, and just worked people into the ground. I left for a much better job.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

You should expect the same thing to happen this time that happened last time, more work for no more pay. You already feel underpaid. Who will benefit from the extra work for the medical group?

What if you say yes but stipulate that you expect to be given equal compensation as part of the agreement?

What are the possible consequences of you say no? Would you be willing to look for a position elsewhere if you are put on the "uncooperative employee" list?

What if everyone said no and offered the alternative of hiring an additional employee to cover the new work requirements and some of the previous new work requirements, too?

The overall situation seems like less than ideal in many ways, but are there better alternatives? If so, look for one.
Compound

Post by Compound »

Let's say you say "no" unless your compensation improves to a level you find equitable. Then your employer says "no" to an increase in compensation. What then? What's your next move?

It sounds to me like your underlying concern isn't really this new expansion, rather it is a discontent with feeling underpaid. Assuming you aren't paid fairly, what is your next best alternative (BATNA)? Would you be willing to go elsewhere? How easily replaced are you? Recruitment of professionals can be expensive, so it is in the best interest of most companies to retain current talent. However, you can't really tap into this unless you truly would be willing to leave, and ideally have a competing offer from another employer.

Ask yourself: What are you willing to do to be paid fairly?
Last edited by Compound on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mues

Post by Mues »

I would do it.

But I'm a big believer of you got to put in to get out.

I'm willing to give some up for the potential of getting promoted or rewarded later. But all my jobs have been merit based, not tenure based for reward and comp.
atlnuke

Post by atlnuke »

The medical industry is very different from most of the economy, so you might not get the best advice here. However, I do think we can all agree that being a "partner" without access to the financials is a huge red flag. I would never invest a dime in a business where I didn't have access to the books.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I have 3 hours a day min of commuting.
Not too sympathetic to the "10-15 min extra commute time". Sounds like a petty complaint unless you already have a very long commute.

Do what you can tolerate in terms of hours and locations, based on your ability and personal circumstances. But it sounds to me like a union labor negotiation, not a professional doing their job.

Sorry, you asked for opinions.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I agree with the poster who said it will be just like the last time - more work for no extra pay.

But it's hard to see how you can turn it down without a negative effect on you relationship with your employer.

Whether it will advance your career at the company is best guessed by you. Every business is different, but partners or shareholders aren't added unless you bring into too much money to let you walk or, in rare circumstances, where you can make yourself truly irreplaceable based on what you do. Unfortunately, hard workers can be replaced, so that doesn't alone warrant an equity stake.

If this is going to make you unhappy, looking for a new job in the meantime might be the way to go.

JT
burt

Post by burt »

blevine wrote:I have 3 hours a day min of commuting.
Not too sympathetic to the "10-15 min extra commute time". Sounds like a petty complaint unless you already have a very long commute.

Do what you can tolerate in terms of hours and locations, based on your ability and personal circumstances. But it sounds to me like a union labor negotiation, not a professional doing their job.

Regarding the 3 hour commute:
I wouldn't drive 3 hours for surgery, let alone work.

Regarding "Professional":
Your comment is out of date. The rules of employment (engagement) have changed significantly over the past 40 years.
Downsizing, temporary workers, contractors, pensions, outsourcing, mergers and acquisitions, synergies, maximize shareholder value,
have to hit quarterly numbers.

I know, I was there 40 years ago.

burt
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

financial.freedom wrote: There was no additional pay, just extra work. We were told it wouldn't be that much extra work, but turns out that it's enough to justify one full-time employee. Instead of increasing our pay or hiring another employee, we just had to absorb the extra work.
This sounds like the company I work for and most I've dealt with over the past 5 years.

I'm a firm believer that "If you do more work than what your paid, one day you will be paid more than than work you do." Put in the work, show your value and opportunities will come.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

financial.freedom wrote:
livesoft wrote:Do you believe that you are paid what you are worth? Or are you already underpaid? How do you know?
Based on percentiles (comparing revenue and pay), I am a little underpaid. The other partners are paid more but I do not know the details.
OK, from your response and the fact that you started this thread in the first place, I think you should get more money either through a raise or a bonus. If you don't raise a ruckus, you will be run over for the rest of your life and will get less and less pay for the work you do. In essence the folks around you have learned that you seem to be a pushover when it comes to compensation. The profits of your employer will go to those who take them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
NDfan27

Post by NDfan27 »

ralph124cf wrote:What exactly does the word "partner" mean in this situation? In most businesses that are partnerships, all partners have access to the books. How are raises decided? Do the partners vote? In most partnerships, there is no real "boss" who decides your raise, profits are split, perhaps not evenly, but still split.

Ralph
I'm curious about this as well. How many of the partners have access to the books? Everyone but you? Only one person?

This is important information if you own part of the partnership and I'm pretty sure you have a right to that information. If not, then I wouldn't buy more shares. Who know what they are doing with it?
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP:

What are the metrics upon which your organizational compensation is based?

Are you sure you are not being adequately compensated given those metrics?

If the compensation committee looks at you, do they see a performer at the median, or are you a standard deviation below the mean?

Perhaps taking more responsibility will help your metrics.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Hell no. You're adding to an already full schedule for no additional pay. Let someone treat you like a doormat once, and they'll continue to treat you like a doormat.
Mues wrote:I would do it.

But I'm a big believer of you got to put in to get out.
This is often not true in medicine.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

blevine wrote:I have 3 hours a day min of commuting.

I agree, the extra commute time of 10-15 min each way (without traffic) is minor. When we picked up the other hospital we were told it would be part-time 3 days a week. Now it is 7 days a week full-time, no extra compensation. So the commute time could make a difference if it is in traffic and becomes 5 or more days a week.

I have worked many jobs and my longest commute (one direction) was 1.5 hours. It was very painful to spend 2-3 hours in the car and work 9-10 hours each day. It also took a toll on my family. So I empathize with your commute.

The upper limit for me is about 30-35 min drive each way, which is what I do currently. Unless I have to drop of our child at school, then adds about 30 min in the morning.

I agree, it seems like a union here. It seems the people who do the least work are paid the most, and the rest are trying to get out of work. It's not that I'm trying to get out of work. I'm already working near capacity and for less pay. I know that when I cover the new center (if I say yes), they will save work for me at the other centers until I return later in the day or until the following day.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

ddurrett896 wrote:
financial.freedom wrote: There was no additional pay, just extra work. We were told it wouldn't be that much extra work, but turns out that it's enough to justify one full-time employee. Instead of increasing our pay or hiring another employee, we just had to absorb the extra work.
This sounds like the company I work for and most I've dealt with over the past 5 years.

I'm a firm believer that "If you do more work than what your paid, one day you will be paid more than than work you do." Put in the work, show your value and opportunities will come.
I've been doing this for about 5 years, and still the lowest paid in the group. Now they need my help to cover another center, so I think it might give me a chance to negotiate equal pay.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

Cruise wrote:OP:

If the compensation committee looks at you, do they see a performer at the median, or are you a standard deviation below the mean?

My wRVUs have been consistently 75th to 90th percentile for my specialty. My pay is about 55th percentile, others in the group have pay 75th percentile to 90th percentile. There seems to be no correlation between the volume of work and pay in our group. Some of it is tenure, and some of it is through connections.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

Thank you for all of the replies! I'm leaning toward keeping quiet for now until they bring it up again. When it is brought up again, I will politely tell them that I am not interested. If they then tell me I have to do it, I will tell them that it is not in my contract however if they give me a new contract with equal pay to others in the group and covering the new center, then I will sign it.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

financial.freedom wrote:

My wRVUs have been consistently 75th to 90th percentile for my specialty. My pay is about 55th percentile, others in the group have pay 75th percentile to 90th percentile. There seems to be no correlation between the volume of work and pay in our group. Some of it is tenure, and some of it is through connections.
Are you saying that you are paid at the 55th percentile of your practice's peer group? That is not bad. If you are comparing yourself to an abstract group, that is irrelevant.

Good luck with your effort to achieve the compensation you desire.
cantos

Post by cantos »

financial.freedom wrote: If I say no, it may be frowned upon by my boss or others in the group. It seems they need coverage at this center and I should negotiate, but if I'm already told no by the head of our group, then attempts at negotiating an increase in pay may backfire. As an aside, I am already the lowest paid in the group and would like to obtain equal hourly pay.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!
I take it you are not a doctor/revenue producer and do not have a lot of power. If this is so, this is not a good situation for you. The owner/boss obviously wants to maximize profit for himself at the expense of the employees. Either take it up the you-know-what and accept where you are/what your leverage is, or move on to another job.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

Cruise wrote:
financial.freedom wrote:

Are you saying that you are paid at the 55th percentile of your practice's peer group? That is not bad. If you are comparing yourself to an abstract group, that is irrelevant.

Good luck with your effort to achieve the compensation you desire.
Yes, my pay is reasonable for my specialty. It may be lowest in the group, but it's 55th percentile for my specialty.
Topic Author
financial.freedom

cantos wrote:
financial.freedom wrote: If I say no, it may be frowned upon by my boss or others in the group. It seems they need coverage at this center and I should negotiate, but if I'm already told no by the head of our group, then attempts at negotiating an increase in pay may backfire. As an aside, I am already the lowest paid in the group and would like to obtain equal hourly pay.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!
I take it you are not a doctor/revenue producer and do not have a lot of power. If this is so, this is not a good situation for you. The owner/boss obviously wants to maximize profit for himself at the expense of the employees. Either take it up the you-know-what and accept where you are/what your leverage is, or move on to another job.
I am a physician who is shareholder of the group.
sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 »

Regarding the non-compete clause, my understanding is that they are generally unenforceable in CA. However, there are exceptions around LLCs and other shared ownership businesses, so your best bet would be to consult an employment attorney.
beyou

Post by beyou »

One of my first full time jobs, I was asked if willing to travel to remote client sites, during the interview. I said no, that if this is important, do not hire me. They indicated they had enough local work to keep me busy.

Well they hired me and eventually started sending me further and further. I agreed for short durations, but eventually I was asked to go on a multi-month assignment 2+ hours from home (each way, best case 4 hrs/day in my car). My response was they could put me up in a hotel near the worksite, which was refused due to cost. So I refused to go. They found someone else who thought getting the irs mileage rate was good compensation. I stood my ground, stayed on a while longer with no ramifications, and when I resigned months later, they were sorry to see me go. It is ok to stand your ground.

That said, as a manager, if I make a reasonable request, and it is not agreed, I have a long memory and a belief that not all my staff should be paid the same.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

I do not know your profession:

However in corporate Information Technology, you do not see the money first.
You do see increased responsibility, the money and promotion follows.

You are not promoted to a position, you are already working in that elevated position, then the title / compensation follows.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

financial.freedom wrote:

They call it "shareholder" instead of partner. Once voted in as shareholder, one can then buy shares. I can ask for access to the books and how profits are distributed, but I'm pretty certain they will say no.
Also known as permenant junior - they are not showing you the books - they are using you as much as possible - this is a job without growth likely
Out of curiosity how many associates have they burned through in past decade?
You maybe happy in the job and you may be willing to let them run things give you have enough
But still sounds really sketchy
Good luck
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

LiveSimple wrote:I do not know your profession:

However in the STEM field I was in, you do not see the money first.
You do see increased responsibility, the money and promotion didn'tfollow.

You are not promoted to a position, you are already working in that elevated position, then the title / compensation didn'tfollow.
(Fixed errors to reflect my experience; hence, "sold" my experience elsewhere when I was working )
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Nearing_Destination wrote:
LiveSimple wrote:I do not know your profession:

However in the STEM field I was in, you do not see the money first.
You do see increased responsibility, the money and promotion didn'tfollow.

You are not promoted to a position, you are already working in that elevated position, then the title / compensation didn'tfollow.
(Fixed errors to reflect my experience; hence, "sold" my experience elsewhere when I was working )
Really liked your communication style !

:sharebeer Sure !
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...