What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Geneyus

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Geneyus »

seychellois_lib wrote:
jrtexas wrote:One more thing, does anyone else think the Man in the High Castle just Ok?
Early episodes got me hooked which surprised me. Later episodes have veered into the ridiculous IMO. John Smith, what a nasty guy! No one that nasty should have been able to avoid the grim reaper for this long.These days I notice a lot of Antagonists antagonating much longer than they ought to be. There seems to be a serious problem inventing good bad guys else life expectancy would come down big time.
My wife and I have the opposite opinion. We weren't convinced it was a great show until about halfway through the 2nd season. The final episode of season 2 explained quite a bit, and we were literally saying "Wow" at the end of it. We also like Obergruppenfuhrer Smith because we think he's a bada__. He's working with the Japanese Chief Inspector, and I think he will rise to the top as the show goes on.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

jrtexas wrote: . . . . Am I missing something with The Crown"?
It's very good.
Gordon
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Just finished Psycho on TCM. Have seen it several times. Every time I am surprised all over again on how great a movie it is. Anthony Perkins is quite the actor. Hitchcock is quite the director.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

bertilak wrote:Just finished Psycho on TCM. Have seen it several times. Every time I am surprised all over again on how great a movie it is. Anthony Perkins is quite the actor. Hitchcock is quite the director.
Have also seen it many times, first when it came out in 1960, when several of my high school friends and i saw it, or more like survived it, and knew it was not the usual horror movie, not even the usual Hitchcock movie, although it was years before we realized the classic it is.

You may have seen Roger Ebert's 1998 review, which I thought was one of the best, in particular his description of the shower scene, which he considered "the most effective slashing in movie history, suggesting that situation and artistry are more important than graphic details."

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great ... sycho-1960
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
6miths

Post by 6miths »

hoops777 wrote:On further review,Passengers is just not very good. :D
Agree. Not getting that time back.

On the other hand, we have seen La La Land twice now. Was even better the second time. Was not surprised that it did very well at the Golden Globes.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Denial

2016 film based on the libel suit brought against American historian
Deborah Lipstadt by British Holocaust denier David Irving. A real
education in the differences between the American and British
legal systems. Excellent movie and great cast.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

wilson08 wrote:Denial

2016 film based on the libel suit brought against American historian
Deborah Lipstadt by British Holocaust denier David Irving. A real
education in the differences between the American and British
legal systems. Excellent movie and great cast.
I wanted to see the movie when it came out, but I never got around to it. I just placed a hold on it at my library. (I read the book on which the film is based.)
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Tonight, I watched two films on Amazon Prime.

The first was I Was There in Color. This is a documentary of the birth of the Israel from never-been-seen before footage left behind by Jewish-American businessman Fred Monosson, who died in 1972. It was over thirty years after his death before his archives were opened to reveal this rare treasure.

The second film I saw tonight was The Counterfeit Traitor, directed by George Seaton and starring William Holden, Lili Palmer, and Hugh Griffith.
This is about an American businessman turned Swedish oil-trader who finds his life and fortunes held hostage when he's blackmailed by British agents and forced into the perilous arena of WWII espionage. I first saw this 1962 film when it came out and have seen it several times since on the telly but not in quite some time. It's very good, if somewhat old fashioned, and well worth seeing.
Gordon
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

X-Men Apocalypse. This is the latest in the series, with plenty of action and a somewhat believable plot. It's better than the last few. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Lo and Behold: Reveries of the Connected World on Netflix. Amazingly informative and well done.
RAchip

Post by RAchip »

I like sci-fi type movies

EX Machina -- loved it; one of my favorite movies all time

Snowpiercer -- didn't understand it; bizarre

Interstellar -- very long; liked it (didn't love it)
travellight

Post by travellight »

I watched Sully last night and enjoyed it. Not riveting or oscar worthy but an enjoyable time and made me google stuff afterwards which is always a good sign that it sparked interest.

I saw Still Bill also; a documentary about Bill Withers. I found myself smiling through it all. I love Bill and it was intriguing to get to know him better.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Tokyo Trial on Netflix, about the International Military Tribunal for the Far East after Japan's surrender in World War II. And also on Netflix Nuremberg: NAZIS on Trial. Both great historical series from WWII with detail not normally provided.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Goldman Sachs, The Bank that Runs The World on Netflix. Excellent look at this mega bank.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Koogie wrote:
jrtexas wrote:Watch River. Alexander Skaarsgard is the cop. Excellent.
+1 Great series.
Just finished the second episode. I agree it is really good. In the first episode the introduction of Stevie was pretty brutal!

I'm looking forward to keeping up with this one.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Sully and La La Land, both worth seeing and enjoyable. Also, watched Delivery about a man (Vince Vaughn) who fathered over 500 kids as a sperm donor. Hardly a classic but better than many movies when you are just flipping channels and stop on one.

Tim
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

"Hail, Caesar!" by the Coen brothers; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail,_Caesar! . With George Clooney among others. I enjoyed it completely--the scene where "Eddie Mannix" (Josh Brolin) is having the proposed film vetted by a Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Protestant, and Jewish clergymen is hysterical, the period detail is great--but ultimately the story doesn't really resolve, it just ends. It's rather like Barton Fink, if I remember that movie correctly. Fun while you're watching it but more of a series of sketches than a coherent story.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

bertilak wrote:
Koogie wrote:
jrtexas wrote:Watch River. Alexander Skaarsgard is the cop. Excellent.
+1 Great series.
Just finished the second episode. I agree it is really good. In the first episode the introduction of Stevie was pretty brutal!

I'm looking forward to keeping up with this one.
Yes, i really enjoyed this one.
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

Just saw Lion. Wonderful - worth seeing at the theater.
fastrock

Post by fastrock »

hacksaw ridge - every moving
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Saw Rollerball. Supposed to be set in 2018, but was made in the '70s. It makes the future look exactly like the '70s! Awful movie that is hard to stop watching due to its awfulness. :happy
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Moonlight

An amenable, nonviolent young man grows up in a brutal,
drug infested neighborhood contending with an addicted,
verbally abusive mother and bullies at school. He does
encounter a few people who give him an inkling of compassion
and encouragement in his preteen and later years. He finally
reaches a breaking point and decisively hits back at bullies who
are abusing him. Out of necessity he enters adulthood toughened
and hardened yet still retains some level of decency and humanity.

This movie is not cheerful and cozy but a revelation of the
harsh and dismal environment some children and teens must
cope with and perhaps by a miracle, survive.
Last edited by wilson08 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

The Founder. About Ray Kroc. Came away really disliking the slime ball.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

History of WWII- The American Housing crisis on Amazon, Non-fiction created by Createspace. There have been numerous housing crisis in the USA (1930s, 1950s, 2008-09).
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

dodecahedron wrote:Hidden Figures

I just saw this powerful, evocative, and uplifting newly released movie today. It connected with me deeply on so many levels: the power of math, the importance of fighting racism and sexism, and my early childhood memories of starting school immediately after Sputnik. Anyone else my age (early 60s) will remember how we all held our collective breaths when the astronauts came splashing down. But we did not know at the time that an African African American woman (a human "computer" employed by NASA) made the key calculations needed to assure the success of the program, after overcoming all kinds of obstacles in her path. We also did not know about her pioneering colleagues in the "colored computer" room (literally a room full of African American women with mechanical adding machines) who broke through barriers to become leaders in engineering and computer science. If you are passionate about math, racial and gender justice, or any combination thereof, you need to SEE THIS MOVIE. It just opened nationwide on Thursday and I don't know how long it will be running in the theaters, but please see it!
I recently watched Hidden Figures. I agree with your thoughts on this movie. I thought it was a great movie.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

"A Man called Ove". Swedish w/ English subtitles. A real Heartwarmer.
All the Best, | Joe
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Geneyus wrote:
seychellois_lib wrote:
jrtexas wrote:One more thing, does anyone else think the Man in the High Castle just Ok?
Early episodes got me hooked which surprised me. Later episodes have veered into the ridiculous IMO. John Smith, what a nasty guy! No one that nasty should have been able to avoid the grim reaper for this long.These days I notice a lot of Antagonists antagonating much longer than they ought to be. There seems to be a serious problem inventing good bad guys else life expectancy would come down big time.
My wife and I have the opposite opinion. We weren't convinced it was a great show until about halfway through the 2nd season. The final episode of season 2 explained quite a bit, and we were literally saying "Wow" at the end of it. We also like Obergruppenfuhrer Smith because we think he's a bada__. He's working with the Japanese Chief Inspector, and I think he will rise to the top as the show goes on.
Ok,fill me in. Is Obergruppenfuhrer Smith American? Be cause it shows him earlier in an American uniform watching the nuke bomb.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

About Hitchcock's Psycho...
Fallible wrote: You may have seen Roger Ebert's 1998 review, which I thought was one of the best, in particular his description of the shower scene, which he considered "the most effective slashing in movie history, suggesting that situation and artistry are more important than graphic details."

I read the Ebert review. It is pretty good, although by now nothing that hasn't been said many times. I don't think Ebert was the first to say those things -- it was written 38 years after the movie.

There was one thing in the review that Ebert didn't understand -- he said so himself ("I have never encountered a single convincing defense of the psychiatric blather").

But Ebert gives the answer earlier on in the review: "Hitchcock deliberately wanted Psycho to look like a cheap exploitation film." That kind of ending was, and still is, common for "cheap exploitation [horror] films." It was common for two reasons:

1. Give the films some pseudo-intellectual justification and gravitas. (Rocky Horror parodied this in spades.)
2. Give the audiences of the day some time to let their nerves calm down. (Cooling the mark?)

I say Hitchcock dragged it out on purpose as a kind of parody. In the interview Ebert quotes, Hitchcock said of the audience: "You might say I was playing them, like an organ." Also, the audience probably needed more calming-down time than usual!
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

jrtexas wrote:Ok,fill me in. Is Obergruppenfuhrer Smith American? Be cause it shows him earlier in an American uniform watching the nuke bomb.
Why is the Obergruppenfuhrer's name John Smith in 'The Man in the High Castle'? Was this naming intentional? Does it tell us something about the character?

Obergruppenführer suggests he was the top-ranking SS officer in the occupation of the USA.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

jrtexas wrote:
Geneyus wrote:
seychellois_lib wrote:
Ok,fill me in. Is Obergruppenfuhrer Smith American? Be cause it shows him earlier in an American uniform watching the nuke bomb.
I believe he fought for the Americans during WW2, which makes me think he was a traitor or defector since he's now a high-ranking Nazi. Plus, he has an American name. If you remember, the Japanese Inspector came to Smith's office and asked him about his WW2 medal from an American battle that's sitting on a shelf, and Smith says he keeps it as a reminder of "failure of command".
Exuberent

Post by Exuberent »

Thanks to stumblebum for the recommendation of "Little Dieter Needs to Fly". Watched it today - excellent.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

End of the Road: How Money Became Worthless By XIVETV, A documentary everyone interested in this title should watch at least once on IMDb & AMZNprime.

The Quantum Tamers by J.Berckowitz on XIVETV on AMZNprime.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Mr. Church
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

bertilak wrote:About Hitchcock's Psycho...
Fallible wrote: You may have seen Roger Ebert's 1998 review, which I thought was one of the best, in particular his description of the shower scene, which he considered "the most effective slashing in movie history, suggesting that situation and artistry are more important than graphic details."

I read the Ebert review. It is pretty good, although by now nothing that hasn't been said many times. I don't think Ebert was the first to say those things -- it was written 38 years after the movie.

There was one thing in the review that Ebert didn't understand -- he said so himself ("I have never encountered a single convincing defense of the psychiatric blather").

But Ebert gives the answer earlier on in the review: "Hitchcock deliberately wanted Psycho to look like a cheap exploitation film." That kind of ending was, and still is, common for "cheap exploitation [horror] films." It was common for two reasons:

1. Give the films some pseudo-intellectual justification and gravitas. (Rocky Horror parodied this in spades.)
2. Give the audiences of the day some time to let their nerves calm down. (Cooling the mark?)

I say Hitchcock dragged it out on purpose as a kind of parody. In the interview Ebert quotes, Hitchcock said of the audience: "You might say I was playing them, like an organ." Also, the audience probably needed more calming-down time than usual!
You make some good points, especially the psychiatrist scene.

I like Ebert’s review mainly because of his references throughout to Hitchcock’s artistry, much of which was new to me at the time. I think it was only sensed by viewers when the movie came out, and was missed or misunderstood by many critics at the time.

As for the psychiatrist, I think Ebert was saying he disagreed with reasons given for the scene, which he disliked. I like his suggested “bold reedit” to use only the first three sentences by the psychiatrist to explain Bates’s dual personality. But if audience relief stretched to parody was Hitchcock's main purpose (a clue might be the choice of Simon Oakland for the part), the full Monty would be needed. Whatever, critics still differ on the scene, whether it even belonged in the film or took away from it. I remember feeling relieved by it when I first saw the movie, but after later viewings thought the explanation was too long and too pat.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Scully, Arrival. Both are good.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

Found some hidden gems on youtube. These are a few Jean Shepherd (Author, Humorist, most known for A Christmas Story) Tv movies that aired on PBS in the 70's and 80's:

The Phantom of the Open Hearth

The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters

The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski

Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss

There is also a "sequel" to A Christmas Story called:

It Runs in the Family (1990's film, starring Charles Grodin)

For those not familiar with the work of Jean Shepherd, these films are various stories adapted from his books, they all center around his quirky childhood/teen years in the 1930's/40's, as well as all the eccentric residents of his hometown.

I laughed more watching the first two than any other movie in recent memory.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

If memory serves, Jean Shepherd's radio show was the only non-music show that I listened to on my transistor radio.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

The Accountant, enjoyed it.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

The OA on NetFlix...
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

TomatoTomahto wrote:If memory serves, Jean Shepherd's radio show was the only non-music show that I listened to on my transistor radio.
I'm in my late 30's and listen to his archived shows on my ipad.
Van

Post by Van »

La La Land. I don't get all of the awards and award nominations. It is OK, but it is not great.
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Cobra (1986). Great movie! Sylvester Stallone really displays his acting range as Marion Cobretti (aka Cobra), a police officer who restores law and order to Los Angeles.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

RoadHouseFan wrote:Cobra (1986). Great movie! Sylvester Stallone really displays his acting range as Marion Cobretti (aka Cobra), a police officer who restores law and order to Los Angeles.
I think there's an oxymoron in there.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I watched the seventh and final season of The Good Wife .
Gordon
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

RoadHouseFan wrote:Cobra (1986). Great movie! Sylvester Stallone really displays his acting range as Marion Cobretti (aka Cobra), a police officer who restores law and order to Los Angeles.
Classic!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

My wife wanted to watch this movie Bad Moms. It was actually pretty funny.
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Hell or High Water" with Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine, Ben Foster et al

Good movie on a variety of levels which hearkens back to some classic genre films of the past.

Excellent performances by the cast.
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

The Founder
About how Ray Kroc franchised McDonalds in 1954, Stars Michael Keaton. Great movie about Entrepreneurship and how fast food entered the mainstream of America.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night I watched The Company You Keep, directed by Robert Redford and starring Redford, Shia LaBeouf, Julie Christie, Sam Elliott, Jackie Evancho, Brendan Gleeson, Terrence Howard, Richard Jenkins, Anna Kendrick, Stanley Tucci, Nick Nolte, Chris Cooper, and Susan Sarandan.

Excellent film and great cast.
Gordon
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Prime Suspect, a British police television series starring Helen Mirren as Detective Chief Inspector (DCI) Jane Tennison. I purchased a DVD box set and have watched the first few discs. The series was released 25 years ago, but the work dynamics of a primarily male environment are modern. A woman who is far better than her colleagues is being held back, redirected, and ordered to stay out. Less skillful men are given high-visibility cases. Tennison is censored for a one-night-stand, whereas her male colleagues are revered for their sexual conquests. Tennison is pulled from a case for an administrative violation; male police officers who have committed crimes are given the benefit of the doubt.

The show is difficult to watch not only because Helen Mirren is vividly demonstrating the injustice to her protagonist but also because these dynamics and double standards still persist today.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)