Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
anonforthis

Re: Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

Post by anonforthis »

Echo what everyone has said. Thank you again.
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

My favorite insurance guy. Ever. Thanks for your help Meph. RIP
zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 »

Meph, thank you for sharing your knowledge so generously.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It is up to us to continue to pay it forward.
Biffer

Post by Biffer »

I read and learned from hundreds of Ole Meph posts. Thank you Ole Meph, and best to your family.
Last edited by Biffer on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

So many great contributions by Ole Meph. Many thanks! I doubt we will see someone as dedicated and honest in that profession in this board but we can always hope.
stratton

Post by stratton »

I loved Ole Meph's insurance posts. Love the boil down to main points cutting through the sales chaff.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Sad news indeed. I wish him and his family well.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

+1 to all of the above.
Really appreciated your expert posts and PMs. I learned a lot and trusted your advice.
My thoughts are with you and your family. Just remember it's a percentage game but the only outcome that matters is yours. Hang in there.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

Mephistophles - May your faith be your strength.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
artibug

Post by artibug »

Thank you, Lee. We appreciate your sage wisdom. Will miss you.

God bless.
TJSI

Post by TJSI »

Thank you for the gift of your knowledge. You have helped many along the way and it is appreciated.

TJSI
slowbutsteady

Post by slowbutsteady »

So sad. Ole Meph, Your posts and icon connote the wise old one (sage) that you indeed are. You have helped many of us, especially with regards to insurance education and decisions. You will be missed.
The tortoise wins every time I read that story.
mcgarrett

Post by mcgarrett »

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge and patiently educating us. I appreciate your honesty and sage advice, and wish you and your family comfort and peace.

McGarrett
mudfud

Post by mudfud »

Ole Meph has meant a lot to me for various reasons. All I can say is THANK YOU Ole Meph. Below I'm reproducing my post from December 7th, 2007 on this forum:

"This is a tremendous forum, thanks to folks like Ole Meph.

Everyone has their own stories about how they found the Diehards. For me it was through a Google search that led me to an incredibly insightful post by Ole Meph on the old forum.

Ole Meph also gets credit for perhaps the most stirring piece of prose ever composed on any internet forum:
http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic ... 6549#16549
Your land is not only part of your "net worth," it is also part of your total worth as a being traveling on this planet we call earth. From the dawn of time, for all living creatures, the land has been our mother, our father, our sustainer, that from which we arose and that to which we will return. Land can provide us with food, water, shelter, clothing, a place to mate and a place to call home. It can satisfy our physical needs, our emotional needs and provide a spiritual connection to all that is.

Put more concretely, Nosferatu, you can build and live on your land, grow crops and raise animals there and have the space to provide for those of your clan.

The land you own has far more value than any bank account, 401 K, mutual fund or electronic entry next to your name.

They say that value lies in the eye of the beholder, but in the case of land the value will be there long after the beholder is gone.
Best regards,

Mud"
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image
Premier

Post by Premier »

Never had the chance to interact with Ole Meph on the forum but he, along with many others, is what makes this forum a great place...full of knowledge and patience. :sharebeer Cheers to Old Meph and the countless others that bring such sage advice and true financial counseling.
Own stocks, the course to stay; Hold bonds, for they will pay; Keep cash reserves for a rainy day.
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

Does Bogleheads forum have a dedicated space, like "hall of fame," where respected forum members' invaluable advice and their profiles such as Old Meph's are archived?
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.
BL

Post by BL »

Thanks for letting us know. When Old Meph speaks, I listen. Peace.
Premier

Post by Premier »

oragne lovre wrote:Does Bogleheads forum have a dedicated space, like "hall of fame," where respected forum members' invaluable advice and their profiles such as Old Meph's are archived?
Thumbs up for this idea
Own stocks, the course to stay; Hold bonds, for they will pay; Keep cash reserves for a rainy day.
BrianMc

Post by BrianMc »

Ole Meph, a Boglehead and Diehards legend.

About 12 years ago, there were a series of monster threads on M* concerning a financial company many would consider "questionable" (I'm keeping it kind and not mentioning their name) in its dealings with military personnel with respect to investing and insurance. You would swear they hired several guys to respond to the comments on M* to any posting that mentioned the company name. Ole Meph brilliantly countered every one of their ridiculous claims, in a knock down, drag out, yet very eloquent way.

Ole Meph: THANK YOU for being a voice for America's military families.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, my friend.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

He touched many lives.

That's a real legacy. He will be missed.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Thanks for all of your contributions, Ole Meph. I learned a lot from your posts.
rick2427

Post by rick2427 »

Sorry to hear about Ole Meph's condition.

May God give him strength as he battles to survive!

Rick
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

A tribute:
On the very eve of his death, [Mozart] had the score of the Requiem brought to his bed, and himself (it was two o'clock in the afternoon) sang the alto part; Schack, the family friend, sang the soprano line, as he had always previously done, Hofer, Mozart's brother-in-law, took the tenor, Gerl, later a bass singer at the Mannheim Theater, the bass. They were at the first bars of the Lacrimosa when Mozart began to weep bitterly, laid the score on one side, and eleven hours later, at one o'clock in the morning (of 5 December 1791, as is well known), departed this life. Death of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Wikipedia
Requiem de Mozart - Lacrimosa - Karl Böhm - Sinfónica de Viena - YouTube

Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa dies illa
Qua resurget ex favilla
Judicandus homo reus.
Huic ergo parce, Deus:
Pie Jesu Domine,
Dona eis requiem.
Amen.

[Click blue autoplay button or hit cancel to stop autoplay].

Thanks for everything.
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

So sad to hear about this. His knowledge and critique with straight shooting posts will be dearly missed.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Cernel

Post by Cernel »

May God bless and bring you peace.
Thank you for all that you have done to help so many people.
We will miss you, but you will not be forgotten.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Thank you, Ole Meph, for all of you sage advice and valued contributions. May God bless you and your family.

JT
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Lost both my father, and grandad to leukemia. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

oragne lovre wrote:Does Bogleheads forum have a dedicated space, like "hall of fame," where respected forum members' invaluable advice and their profiles such as Old Meph's are archived?
Previously posted,
Tanelorn wrote:To everyone who doesn't know Old Meph by his reputation, keep reading his old posts and you'll learn a great deal about insurance (in the same way you might read Alan S on IRAs or sscritic on social security).
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

BH's is truly a community and not just a simple forum. There is a lot of respect and excellent knowledge on here, and people like Lee have built BH's as it exists today. Thank you Lee for working to create something special. Your advice has truly impacted lives for the better....I'm sure there have been decisions made based on your advice, that will have a positive impact on future generations, long after all of us are gone. May God be with you.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Previously posted,
Tanelorn wrote:To everyone who doesn't know Old Meph by his reputation, keep reading his old posts and you'll learn a great deal about insurance (in the same way you might read Alan S on IRAs or sscritic on social security).
I'm reluctant to join in this moving and heartfelt thread, because I don't have the words to express how much I respect Ole Meph. I would love to have a virtual place to revisit his insightful posts.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Dear Ole Meph,

I've learned so much from you over the years. Will miss you!

Faith
techrover

Post by techrover »

No words may do justice for his selfless help lent to others...
We pray for you...and thank for your service.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

mcgarrett wrote:I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge and patiently educating us. I appreciate your honesty and sage advice, and wish you and your family comfort and peace.

McGarrett
+1

Thanks Ole Meph
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

Sad news, indeed.
leonard

Post by leonard »

One of the great contributors on this forum.

Sad news.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

Thanks, Meph!
walkindude

Post by walkindude »

God bless you, Ole Meph!

Thanks for your valuable insights on insurance (and life) here. You will be missed!
sauron22333

Post by sauron22333 »

Ole Meph. You will be missed. God bless.
diasurfer

Post by diasurfer »

Mahalo and aloha Meph
Lauren Vignec

Post by Lauren Vignec »

Somehow, since this is an internet forum, I just think people are going to live forever. Like their screen names freeze them in time.

Meph is one of the few participants that I absolutely always paid attention to.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nisiprius wrote:Ole Meph, I can only add my voice to everything that everybody else has said. I've valued your forum contributions and some work with you behind the scenes. It's always tiny things you remember, and perhaps the moment I remember best was the time you pointed out that I was misspelling your screen name--which is Mephistophles, not "Mephistopheles." I've been punctilious about that ever since. I'm glad to have been given a chance to say goodbye.
Ole Meph has always been very careful to be "Mephistophles" and to not be confused with that demon rascal "Mephistopheles." Ole Meph has a wonderful sense of humor about himself :happy

In an earlier Boglehead thread, when asked about his schooling, Ole Meph explained:
mephistophles wrote:After graduating from Tiny Tim's Day Care Center I became a Hippie and lived in a commune in New Mexico. After that I became a Boglehead. And now, you know the rest of the story.

ole meph
Arthurdawg then questioned Ole Meph about his forum namesake:
arthurdawg wrote:have you any response to your wikipedia entry sir?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephistopheles

:lol: at the very least you need to add that you graduated from tiny tim's!!
mephistophles wrote:Why, yes, I certainly have a response. The individual you refer to has 3 e's in his name and I have only 2. That mephistopheles is no relation of mine, that I know of, but rather lives in the mystical realms and deals in the business of souls.

I am descended from a special line of critters that seeks to get at the bottom of things, so the truth will, out. This habit irritates most mortals and motivates them to hurl epithets comparing me to my near namesake.

Regards
ole meph
arthurdawg wrote:i beg your pardon, good sir! for i had mistaken you for another. :oops:
chaz wrote:Old mephistopheles is a character in the play "Cats". He is revered by the other cats for his wisdom.
We enjoy your posts, Ole Meph :happy

viewtopic.php?p=312841#p312841
shawcroft

Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

Post by shawcroft »

Old Meph:
I joined this Forum about 7 years ago, at a time when I was moving most of our financial stuff to Vanguard and had many questions, among them life insurance. I had purchased a number of life policies over the years- all with the best of intentions- but never really knew what I was buying. Old Meph answered my overall insurance questions and- to my surprise- sent me PM's which specifically addressed my situation.
He is a grand gentleman- and I will forever be in his debt for his graciousness. I would like to return the favor- and will try to do so by helping others in the same manner as he helped me. I believe that would be something which would please him.
My thanks to you, Old Meph. May God bless you and your family during this time
Shawcroft
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Barry Barnitz wrote:A tribute:
On the very eve of his death, [Mozart] had the score of the Requiem brought to his bed, and himself (it was two o'clock in the afternoon) sang the alto part; Schack, the family friend, sang the soprano line, as he had always previously done, Hofer, Mozart's brother-in-law, took the tenor, Gerl, later a bass singer at the Mannheim Theater, the bass. They were at the first bars of the Lacrimosa when Mozart began to weep bitterly, laid the score on one side, and eleven hours later, at one o'clock in the morning (of 5 December 1791, as is well known), departed this life. Death of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Wikipedia
Requiem de Mozart - Lacrimosa - Karl Böhm - Sinfónica de Viena - YouTube

Lacrimosa

Lacrimosa dies illa
Qua resurget ex favilla
Judicandus homo reus.
Huic ergo parce, Deus:
Pie Jesu Domine,
Dona eis requiem.
Amen.

[Click blue autoplay button or hit cancel to stop autoplay].

Thanks for everything.
Oh my. That link was simply exquisite. An absolutely wonderful tribute, Barry.
Buon Viaggio, Old Meph. You will not be forgotten.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
veena9111

Post by veena9111 »

Thank you for everything Lee. Prayers coming your way. God bless
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I have no doubt that these nice messages from friends and fans of Old Meph are giving him great comfort.

It's what you leave behind that really matters. Lee has left so much good advice here on the forum and it will long endure.

Best regards, dear Lee.

Mel
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Appreciate you, Old Meph! Know that you will be well remembered here for your kindness and contributions. I wish you and your family peace in the days ahead.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

Thanks for all your contributions Old Meph!
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
Gardener246

Post by Gardener246 »

Old Meph, I always looked forward to your posts, and would always pause to read your replies; thanks so much for all you have given us here on Bogleheads.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

You have been in my prayers Lee. You were always gracious, kind, and thoughtful in your responses. That is a trait not too common on anonymous internet forums. May God be with you and your loved ones as you continue on with your journey.

Eric
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson