Ft. Lauderdale

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lucky3

Ft. Lauderdale

Post by lucky3 »

Going to Florida soon to relax on the beach. Any suggested things to do or places to visit while I'm there?

Lucky3
MrDogg

Re: Ft. Lauderdale

Post by MrDogg »

I live in Ft. Lauderdale. One thing I recommend to all my out of town visitors is to take a "ride" on the Jungle Queen. I have taken the cruise many times and never get tired if it. This riverboat cruises the New River which winds through the center of downtown and passes the most exclusive residential neighborhoods where many celebrities and potentates have homes. They have a daytime cruise and a nighttime cruise both relatively inexpensive. You can catch the boat at Bahia Mar which is in the center of Ft. Lauderdale beach on the Intracoastal Waterway.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

There is a swamp tour about 20-30 mins west if you have access to transportation. I believe the name of the place is called Everglades Holiday Park. The tour guide takes you in an airboat in a group and gives you a rundown of the local wildlife and plant life. Very nice scenery and good for a first hand look at the Everglades.

Las Olas is a nice street to just walk around on. Walking along the intercoastals, you can get really nice views of the water and the beautiful houses along it. Gives you some ideas (pipe dreams) for retirement :D
midareff

Post by midareff »

You might have a drive to the Dania Beach pier... there is a good spot for lunch there if you get tired of the sand named the Quarterdeck.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

lucky3 wrote:Going to Florida soon to relax on the beach. Any suggested things to do or places to visit while I'm there?
Lucky3
Come to the South Florida Boglehead Chapter meeting on Sun. Jan 22, 2017, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm in Miami, only a half-hour drive down from Ft. Lauderdale. We will have a rousing discussion of mutual fund taxes :mrgreen: and Taylor feeds us well with sub sandwiches. He will autograph your Boglehead books for you :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64383
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

I live in south Florida, near Fort Lauderdale. There is plenty of waterfront dining and it's highly recommended. Take a ride on the Water Taxi and check out "Beverly Hills" on the water, Amazing. Las Olas shopping is a must. Lulu's Bait Shack on Fort Lauderdale beach is a landmark not to be missed.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

Check out the Boardwalk on Hollywood beach, which just south of Ft Lauderdale, You can get there by water taxi or if you have a rental car its about a 15 minute drive.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Check this place out for lunch one day. It's a must-stop at place for my family every time we're in the area.

http://www.laspadashoagies.com/
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

In addition to what others have offered, you can choose from some of this:

Go down to Miami and go to Vizcaya, Miami Beach, Wynwood Walls. Go up to West Palm area and go to Lion Country safari.