What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
madbrain

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by madbrain »

This past week I saw "Loving". Interesting subject, and good acting, but I thought the pace of this movie was just too slow. It should have been a half hour less.

Also saw "Lion" yesterday (I mean, "A long way home"). Great movie, and it brought me to tears at the end. Highly recommend it.

Also saw "Manchester by the sea" the week before. Again, great acting. But too depressing of a storyline, in my opinion.
Saw "Arrival" the week before as well - loved it. That is one of the best sci fi movies of last year.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We are watching "Lilyhammer" on Netflix. Entertaining!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

Saw Rogue One and enjoyed it, good not fabulous.

By the end, I was laughing at all the pen-pockets.
They've made 10 star wars movies and never had pen-pockets till now.
Some kind of fashion statement I suppose. :happy
telemark

Post by telemark »

L'Autre Dumas, which should translate as The Other Dumas, but for some reason is listed on Amazon as simply Dumas. Features a complicated plot in which absolutely no one understands what is going on, and incidentally answers the question of what to do with great wealth: get your own private menagerie.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Hacksaw Ridge!

Highly recommend, great movie!

Based on actual events.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k »

I'm 3 episodes into The Crown on Netflix and really enjoying it.
corwin

Post by corwin »

Really enjoyed The Accountant and I'm not a big Affleck fan.

Not sure what I thought of Rogue One. After the 5th scene change in 15 minutes I was very confused.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Captain Fantastic with Viggo Mortensen. I've so enjoyed his work in other movies: Eastern Promises; Lord of the Rings; et al. He was good in this as well.

OTOH what was the movie about?? I started with high expectations, then kept waiting for it to get better, then I was so time invested I had to persevere to the end. I should have watched something else.
ElecEel

Post by ElecEel »

I chanced upon some Korean movies on Netflix that turned out really good.

The Host
The Wailing
The Sea Fog

Let me know what you guys think.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

corwin wrote:Really enjoyed The Accountant and I'm not a big Affleck fan.

Not sure what I thought of Rogue One. After the 5th scene change in 15 minutes I was very confused.
The film was heavily edited and reshot over the summer. So some doctoring took place. The result is only semi coherent in my view.

However individual scenes were... subversive. I kept thinking in the Kasbah scene that "they are not going to go there, are they?" And they do-- and it's shocking. You have "good guys" prepared to do not-good things-- Han shot first, as the t-shirt goes.

And I found I cared about the characters-- particularly the Robot, the captain, the rebel. K2 out C3PO's C3PO. The characterizations were very well done, and the overall sense of an increasingly desperate Rebellion, divided in its leadership, threatened on all sides. The martial arts artist was a character to die for, and the whole film had a bit of a 7 Samurai type sensibility. When one character says "Right then. May the Force be with us" it doesn't sound forced, trite, but rather an honest plea of a commander who knows they face very long odds, of a person coming into leadership, unwanted, and knowing that they are entrusted with the success of the mission.

The usual problems: Stormtrooper marksmanship remains risible, these people need a trip to the USMC's Paris Island ;-). And what, what, is the purpose of all that battle armour, when it doesn't shield them from a man with a stick? The Imperial command structure remains overcentralized.

There are some great one liners:

"Make ten men feel like 100"
"It's Rogue. Rogue One"
"There's hope. Rebellions are built on hope"
"Why does she get a blaster?"

(there were some lines in the trailers that didn't make the final cut, it's the messiest film I have ever seen that way "This is a rebellion isn't it? I rebel")

I haven't cared about the characters like that since Episode V (The Empire Strikes Back) or, at a stretch, Ep VI.

I understand that the next film, Episode IV: A New Hope, is to be filmed by director George Lucas, and includes Hollywood stalwarts like James Earl Jones, and Harrison Ford. Given the forces aligned against them, the Rebel Alliance seems doomed, what hope do they have? After that prequel, I can't wait ;-).

Also some good cultural-military historical analysis of the career of General Organa of the Rebel Alliance

https://mobunited.wordpress.com/2016/12 ... -obituary/
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

abuss368 wrote:We watched Al Gore "An Inconvenient Truth" on Netflix.
There's a couple of newer ones.

"The Age of Stupid" (?) with the late, great Peter Posthlethwaite (see The Usual Suspects).

And Leonardo di Capricio has done one quite recently.

Merchants of Doubt (the book) is excellent, haven't seen the film.

Also Gore did an update on TED. Worth checking for.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Fletch wrote:Twelve O'Clock High (1949). Excellent study of leadership, as well as entertaining and good visuals on WWII flying.
Yes. Very good.

And there's another one "Command Decision" about the generals sending the bomber fleets in.

Memphis Bell is a bit stereotypical and cliched, but the story it tells-- of the first B17 to make the 20 missions and earn themselves a trip home (the statistical chance of doing that was something like less than 5% at that point in the war)-- is an amazing one. They hauled King George VI out to meet the crew, it was so extraordinary.

I just remember that scene at the mission briefing "Gentlemen, it's Bremerhaven" and the pilot looks like he is about to throw up-- the horror of what they are facing wrapped up in one facial expression.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Captain Fantastic. Very enjoyable. Viggo was terrific. Great ensemble cast of kids.

Arrival. I was a little disappointed. Found it to be a bit slow. Smart movie but doesn't sweep me away.

Moana. good but I had expected so much of it.

Sing. Loved it. So fun; utterly delightful. Animated films are killing it compared to the typical films out there. My favorite scene just about from any film is the scene in Zootopia with the DMV sloths.

Healing a broken ankle, I am watching some television as well. Love the great British baking show and also watching the American version. I might be insired to try some baking myself.

Also, love love love The Crown. Makes me research the history after each show but then I have to catch myself as I don't want to race ahead of the story unfolding.
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Now seen Arrival three times in theaters and still am wowed by the sound effects and presentation of the aliens and their ship.

But it is still a great science fiction story mixed with a slow, maudlin fantasy story that even Amy Adams can't rescue and that was so unnecessary to the science fiction plot.

Eventually it will come to the second run theaters, and I will probably see it again. Sigh.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Sausage Party. Hilarious, though definitely R-rated. Not at all what I was expecting from an animated movie going in.
LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN »

"Roman Holiday" - 1953 Peck and Hepburn. Delightful!
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Certain Women
Set in the somber vastness of Montana in late autumn this is
a slow paced, subtle, and beautiful movie that follows the lives
of three woman in the same area but with totally different
circumstances.
The director does not rely on cliches or jarring drama to keep the
viewer's attention, this is more like an experience at an art gallery
except the gallery is on film.

Two other movies by Director Kelly Reichardt I would also recommend
are Meek's Cutoff (2010) and Wendy and Lucy (2008).
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Killswitch,on Netflix, it is a documentary film about the battle for control over the Internet. Makes you think a little :)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Hidden Figures

I just saw this powerful, evocative, and uplifting newly released movie today. It connected with me deeply on so many levels: the power of math, the importance of fighting racism and sexism, and my early childhood memories of starting school immediately after Sputnik. Anyone else my age (early 60s) will remember how we all held our collective breaths when the astronauts came splashing down. But we did not know at the time that an African African American woman (a human "computer" employed by NASA) made the key calculations needed to assure the success of the program, after overcoming all kinds of obstacles in her path. We also did not know about her pioneering colleagues in the "colored computer" room (literally a room full of African American women with mechanical adding machines) who broke through barriers to become leaders in engineering and computer science. If you are passionate about math, racial and gender justice, or any combination thereof, you need to SEE THIS MOVIE. It just opened nationwide on Thursday and I don't know how long it will be running in the theaters, but please see it!
carolc

Post by carolc »

Just saw La La Land (because my partner wanted to). She liked it mostly and I enjoyed watching the dancing but was not impressed overall.

carolc
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Valuethinker wrote:...
Memphis Bell is a bit stereotypical and cliched, but the story it tells-- of the first B17 to make the 20 missions and earn themselves a trip home (the statistical chance of doing that was something like less than 5% at that point in the war)-- is an amazing one. They hauled King George VI out to meet the crew, it was so extraordinary.

I just remember that scene at the mission briefing "Gentlemen, it's Bremerhaven" and the pilot looks like he is about to throw up-- the horror of what they are facing wrapped up in one facial expression.
I didn't see the movie, but several years ago saw the '44 "Memphis Belle" documentary of the last flight and it was excellent. When the "Belle" returned home, the pilot made a celebratory low pass over the airfield before landing, "cutting the grass" it was called.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

dodecahedron wrote:Hidden Figures

I just saw this powerful, evocative, and uplifting newly released movie today. It connected with me deeply on so many levels: the power of math, the importance of fighting racism and sexism, and my early childhood memories of starting school immediately after Sputnik. Anyone else my age (early 60s) will remember how we all held our collective breaths when the astronauts came splashing down. But we did not know at the time that an African African American woman (a human "computer" employed by NASA) made the key calculations needed to assure the success of the program, after overcoming all kinds of obstacles in her path. We also did not know about her pioneering colleagues in the "colored computer" room (literally a room full of African American women with mechanical adding machines) who broke through barriers to become leaders in engineering and computer science. If you are passionate about math, racial and gender justice, or any combination thereof, you need to SEE THIS MOVIE. It just opened nationwide on Thursday and I don't know how long it will be running in the theaters, but please see it!
I saw this last night as well - phenomenal movie, highly recommended. I completely agree with your review.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

End of the Road : How Money Became Worthless This movie is classified as a documentary, imo, it's a docudrama w/the 09 Financial crisis as a focal point. Available on AMZN, By XIVETV

The Brain that changes itself : A documentary on nuroplasticity by Mike Sheerin, on AMZNs by XIVETV.

I've no promotional leanings on AMZN or XIVTV.
Last edited by snowshoes on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Independence Day Resurgence. This PG-13 rated movie is a sequel to Independence Day. If you want lots of action, especially lots of sound effects, this movie is for you. Otherwise, meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Hell or High Water, American neo-western heist-crime. Staring Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine, Ben Foster. Really enjoyable...two thumbs up. :)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

O.J.: Made in America. (2016) This is a six-part documentary. I didn't think I'd like it but my wife convinced me. It starts with the Watts riot in L.A. In 1965. Pretty interesting.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

I started to watch a preview of "A man Called Ove", and accidentally hit the rent button.
It was ok, I got used to the subtitles quickly. They were large and clear.
The move was somewhat enjoyable, but I would not rent it again, nor say it was a great movie.
It was informative on how other countries live, but had the predictable ending.
Dan999
Dan999
stomie

Post by stomie »

Uncle Nick on Netflix
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Goliath on Amazon Prime. Great series.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I am about 3 episodes into Hinterlands on Netflix. Another favorite!

It seems I have gotten myself hooked on British police procedural detective shows that take place in remote villages in barren landscapes. I don't know what that says about me.

So far:
  • Hinterlands
  • Wallander (Sweden but produced by the British)
  • Midsomer Murders
  • George Gently
  • Broadchurch (The first season was great but after an episode of the second season I gave it up. It was continuing the story from he first season and I wanted something new.)
  • Murdoch Mysteries (19th century Toronto, created by CGI!) There is something about this that appeals to me but I'm not sure what. I think it might be Constable George Crabtree!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Is "Billions" worth watching? My man-crush Damian Lewis is in it but after that steaming turd called "Dreamcatchers" I'm going to need a recommendation.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

MrNewEngland wrote:Is "Billions" worth watching? My man-crush Damian Lewis is in it but after that steaming turd called "Dreamcatchers" I'm going to need a recommendation.
I think it's not very good. Over-acted, implausible, it's hard to watch the screen when you're constantly rolling your eyes.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:Is "Billions" worth watching? My man-crush Damian Lewis is in it but after that steaming turd called "Dreamcatchers" I'm going to need a recommendation.
I think it's not very good. Over-acted, implausible, it's hard to watch the screen when you're constantly rolling your eyes.
[(removed) --admin LadyGeek] Maybe Damian Lewis was only good in Life, Homeland, and Band of Brothers.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

MrNewEngland wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
[(removed) --admin LadyGeek] Maybe Damian Lewis was only good in Life, Homeland, and Band of Brothers.
He was very good in The Forsyte Saga.
Gordon
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

bertilak wrote:I am about 3 episodes into Hinterlands on Netflix. Another favorite!

It seems I have gotten myself hooked on British police procedural detective shows that take place in remote villages in barren landscapes. I don't know what that says about me.

So far:
  • Hinterlands
  • Wallander (Sweden but produced by the British)
  • Midsomer Murders
  • George Gently
  • Broadchurch (The first season was great but after an episode of the second season I gave it up. It was continuing the story from he first season and I wanted something new.)
  • Murdoch Mysteries (19th century Toronto, created by CGI!) There is something about this that appeals to me but I'm not sure what. I think it might be Constable George Crabtree!
Watch River. Alexander Skaarsgard is the cop. Excellent.
daveatca

A Really Good One

Post by daveatca »

Hidden Figures is excellent.
Made me angry, proud, sad, happy.
Go see it !!
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

jrtexas wrote:Watch River. Alexander Skaarsgard is the cop. Excellent.
+1 Great series. Plus it has Nicola Walker, the main actress in Scott & Bailey and Last Tango In Halifax.
bertilak wrote:I am about 3 episodes into Hinterlands on Netflix. Another favorite!
I tried watching it in the original Welsh (Y Gwyll) on SC4. My dad was Welsh. I get maybe one word in twenty... :P There are three seasons now, so I'll get plenty of chances... :oops:
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Koogie wrote:
jrtexas wrote:Watch River. Alexander Skaarsgard is the cop. Excellent.
+1 Great series. Plus it has Nicola Walker, the main actress in Scott & Bailey and Last Tango In Halifax.
I tried watching it in the original Welsh (Y Gwyll) on SC4. My dad was Welsh. I get maybe one word in twenty... :P There are three seasons now, so I'll get plenty of chances... :oops:
Some of the Welsh is close enough to English that, when written out as in credits or signage, I can see some similarities. It reminds me of all the Swedish writing in Wallander -- street signs, newspapers, store names, etc.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Koogie wrote:Plus it has Nicola Walker, the main actress in Scott & Bailey and Last Tango In Halifax.
Not to mention as Ruth Evershead in Spooks (aka MI-5 on this side of the pond.)

(Walker was only a guest star in S&B. The main characters were Lesley Sharp (S) and Suranne Jones (B). Sharp most recently starred in Paranoid. Unfortunately that series was hugely disappointing despite competent performances by her, Robert Glenister and Indira Varma.)
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The Best Movies of 2016

The Witch.
Midnight Special.
Everybody Wants Some.
The Confirmation.
A Bigger Splash.
Weiner.
DePalma.
The Infiltrator.
Hell or High Water.
Don't Breathe.
The Handmaiden.
Hacksaw Ridge.
Arrival.
Gimme Danger.
Rules Don't Apply.
Sully.
Manchester by the Sea.
Hidden Figures.

I haven't seen Moonlight, La La Land, or Moana.

Worst: Nocturnal Animals. The satire misses completely. The scenes in Texas might as well have been filmed on the moon for all the sense of place they evoke. A very fine cast trapped in a terrible movie.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

I recently watched "Love is Colder Than Death" by Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Is_C ... %28film%29
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Saw Intruder on netflix last week, great movie and Steven Buckingham was great as usual. Very good movie if you like suspense.
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Watching "The Killing" and "OA" on Netflix. As a retired cop, and Detective,I can't get past the Homicide detectives going to crime scenes in blue jeans and hoodies. But thats Tv. A good pilot. OA is good. A little out there. Am I missing something with
The Crown"?
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

One more thing, does anyone else think the Man in the High Castle just Ok?
seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib »

jrtexas wrote:One more thing, does anyone else think the Man in the High Castle just Ok?
Early episodes got me hooked which surprised me. Later episodes have veered into the ridiculous IMO. John Smith, what a nasty guy! No one that nasty should have been able to avoid the grim reaper for this long.These days I notice a lot of Antagonists antagonating much longer than they ought to be. There seems to be a serious problem inventing good bad guys else life expectancy would come down big time.

Currently watching "3%" on Netflix. This is a Brazilian series produced by Netflix which is interesting in and of itself. I had not fully appreciated Netflix is basically a global entity at this point.

Anyway, if you don't mind subtitles (I absolutely hate dubbing plus Portuguese is a beautiful spoken language) then this series is worth a look. As is often the case, you may need to sit through an episode or two to get into it.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

My wife has gotten hooked on watching Gilmore Girls the TV series, on Netflix. It's kind of quirky and fun in smaller doses, but I am tired of it. There are apparently 153 episodes :( .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

"Passengers"...very good. A love story in space.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

The Returned on Netflix....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

ruralavalon wrote:My wife has gotten hooked on watching Gilmore Girls the TV series, on Netflix. It's kind of quirky and fun in smaller doses, but I am tired of it. There are apparently 153 episodes :( .
I bet I've watched almost every episode of that terrible, terrible show. My ex girlfriend used to love it.
iknowyouknow

Post by iknowyouknow »

I took a couple of young women to see Hidden Figures and was pleased they found it as moving and inspiring as I did. One of them came through rough circumstances but in the past few years she has turned her life around, gone back to school, and is now a rising senior in Computer Science--I think she found it especially relevant. I wish they'd do a whole series of films like this! Powerful film.