Affordable home exercise

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Moolala

Affordable home exercise

Post by Moolala »

Any suggestions on low cost in-home exercise equipment? My budget is tight and my joints are young so I don't need anything fancy. I live in a rough neighborhood and sadly can't jog/bike/walk outdoors too safely, and have a budget of about $150, total. I'm not into weights (though I have a few) and am hoping for something more machine-like. I'd love to hear about any experience with bike-to-stationary-bike adapters. Thank you!
livesoft

Re: Affordable home exercise

Post by livesoft »

Get a $20 (on sale) closet pull-up bar, then join the thread on pull-ups and push-ups at Bogleheads: viewtopic.php?t=125752

You can also buy a couple of dumb bells to use with crunches and squats. They might cost $20 together.

Youtube.com has instructions for everything.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

A jump rope is the cheapest and meanest piece of cardio equipment you can get.

Extremely versatile for both strength and cardio is a kettlebell. But they can be fairly expensive.

For anything else - check out craigslist. You'd be amazed at what people want to get rid of. In a month or so, everybody will start getting rid of their new year resolutions gear :)
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I would go with a pull up bar and a set of adjustable dumbbells. Weights are really the way to go and I think you'll learn to love them. Adjustable dumbbells with plates are a very economical option rather than buying a ton of different dumbbells. I'm sure that there are many free resources through YouTube and I've enjoyed some of the DVD workout programs out there. Beachbody is a very popular company for the DVD's and I'm sure that you can find some deals on Craigslist.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007WKK5 ... ref=plSrch
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

You imply you have a bike. A couple of things - drive to a better area an ride and purchase a bike trainer. Just do a search for bike wind trainer or magnetic trainer. You mount your bike in the trainer at the rear axle. Also, look for used gear (treadmills, rowing machines, etc).
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Check garage sales and estate sales for inexpensive used equipment, sometimes almost like new.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
hightower

Post by hightower »

Run up and down your stairs:) Seriously though. It will work well.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Walking shoes
Topic Author
Moolala

Post by Moolala »

hightower wrote:Run up and down your stairs:) Seriously though. It will work well.
tigermilk wrote:You imply you have a bike. A couple of things - drive to a better area an ride and purchase a bike trainer. Just do a search for bike wind trainer or magnetic trainer. You mount your bike in the trainer at the rear axle. Also, look for used gear (treadmills, rowing machines, etc).
Wish I had stairs ! Or a car! Short on both, sadly. But I agree - those are both ideal and very smart options. I will look into that bike trainer. Maybe eBay rowing machines? Don't want to accumulate too much!
livesoft wrote:Get a $20 (on sale) closet pull-up bar
Livesoft, I love this idea (if I can commit!) Is this a silly concern - could a cheap apartment door break?

Pasadena - that jump rope is an amazing idea! Dsmil - thank you for the exercise video tip! Anyone have suggestions on exercise vids that are cost efficient and fun? And cheese_breath - certainly will do! :D
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Moolala wrote:Livesoft, I love this idea (if I can commit!) Is this a silly concern - could a cheap apartment door break?
It uses the door frame and not the door at all. I doubt the frame would break, but I don't know how much you weigh. There must be a youtube video showing these contraptions.
Topic Author
Moolala

Post by Moolala »

livesoft wrote:
Moolala wrote:Livesoft, I love this idea (if I can commit!) Is this a silly concern - could a cheap apartment door break?
It uses the door frame and not the door at all. I doubt the frame would break, but I don't know how much you weigh. There must be a youtube video showing these contraptions.
Fortunately, I'm light! Unfortunately, my apartment crumbles if I touch it. Door frame, not door, sounds much better though!
pascal

Post by pascal »

Power 90
Resistance band
"Never underestimate the ability of a bad situation to get worse...rapidly." Ninegrams
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

livesoft wrote: There must be a youtube video showing these contraptions.
:happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirkl3fN8eU
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

cheese_breath wrote:Check garage sales and estate sales for inexpensive used equipment, sometimes almost like new.
+1

There should be a greatly increased supply available in about three months :happy
Watty

Post by Watty »

If you live in an apartment or condo using a jump rope or weights might not make you very popular.

One good thing to get for home exercise is Netflix.

If you can get hooked on a TV series which had an hour long show that is about 43 minutes without commercials which is a good length for a workout. I managed to get hooked on one that had ten seasons and that kept me coming back to a stationary bike to work out more to see the next episode.
Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th »

A book on using ones own body weight for fitness training: ”You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. I haven't bought/read it yet but it's on my list, figuring if one day I have no access to a gym or wide-open space this would be a good option (maybe this is a great exercise book for prison inmates, haha). Hmm, Kindle version is $1.99, maybe I'll go buy it now.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

livesoft wrote:Get a $20 (on sale) closet pull-up bar, then join the thread on pull-ups and push-ups at Bogleheads: viewtopic.php?t=125752

You can also buy a couple of dumb bells to use with crunches and squats. They might cost $20 together.

Youtube.com has instructions for everything.
Livesoft beat me to the punch! Pull-ups; push-ups; squats/lunges; planks and maybe crunches. That's a full-body workout.

Unless you're currently doing pull-ups, allow 3-6 months to be able to do 10+ good ones in a row. Then you're good to go--it's an incredible body-weight exercise that builds up your back, arms, shoulders, hands, etc. Use proper form and don't "kip." If you get so good at pull-ups that they're too easy for you, you can add weight to your body to increase the resistance. But you also need to exercise your core and legs, and stretch too. A pair (or two) of dumbbells is all you need, really. Please don't buy useless gear.

For cardio, you can do lots of things from jumping rope, to jogging in place, climb stairs, or step-ups. Getting strong and healthy does not cost a lot of money.

Good luck!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Pluto9th wrote:A book on using ones own body weight for fitness training: ”You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. I haven't bought/read it yet but it's on my list, figuring if one day I have no access to a gym or wide-open space this would be a good option (maybe this is a great exercise book for prison inmates, haha). Hmm, Kindle version is $1.99, maybe I'll go buy it now.
Not a bad book. More a booklet. Like all such book Mark oversells, but nonetheless it has some nice variations on the basic body weight exercises. Not purely body weight as he has some ideas that include some weights, not unlike livesoft's use of hand weights while doing crunches.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Lots of good stuff up thread.

If you like the idea of stairs but do not have any get a sturdy step of 12" top 15" and step up, step down, repeat. Put in front of TV or computer and watch something.

Work up to 1000 ft in 40 minutes or less.

Then put weights in a backpack and work up to 30 lbs or so. Keep to 1000 ft in less than 40 minutes. (A $10 crowd counter clicker thingie from Staples will help a lot with keeping track).

Do once or twice a week along with some long endurance rides on your bike (trainer if stuck inside) and you will be a monster hiker.

Add in some very vigorous pull-up, push-up, etc body weight exercises and go climb some mountains!
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
TRC

Post by TRC »

Moolala wrote:Any suggestions on low cost in-home exercise equipment? My budget is tight and my joints are young so I don't need anything fancy. I live in a rough neighborhood and sadly can't jog/bike/walk outdoors too safely, and have a budget of about $150, total. I'm not into weights (though I have a few) and am hoping for something more machine-like. I'd love to hear about any experience with bike-to-stationary-bike adapters. Thank you!
Buy a pull-up bar, a pair of selectech dumbells and P90X or P90X3. Larger exercise machines (bikes, rowers, elyptical, etc) eventually become dust collectors.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

tigermilk wrote:You imply you have a bike. A couple of things - drive to a better area an ride and purchase a bike trainer. Just do a search for bike wind trainer or magnetic trainer. You mount your bike in the trainer at the rear axle. Also, look for used gear (treadmills, rowing machines, etc).
I used wind trainers for a few years - especially in the winter when it was too cold and/or dark to ride before/after work. You can adjust the tension as well as cycle through all the gears. If you have a cat, figure out some way to keep them away from the exposed wheel.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

For the bike trainer, look at the fluid ones. They are less noisy. Kurt Kenetic is a great brand. For TV since all trainers gets noisy, I'd get cheap bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth headphones, you can get them for about $30 together.

Also Id suggest a pull board over a door bar. Allows you do do more. https://www.amazon.com/Metolius-Simulat ... B002N54TE8

Finally, pushups, crunches, dips etc.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Check out suspension trainers like Blast Straps or TRX. I have the Blast Straps, and they can really provide a good workout.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

My dad recently got a pretty good recumbent exercise bike for $15. Craigslist really is quite good for lightly used equipment. Also, checkout this:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/20 ... /?referer=
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I bought a sturdy Schwinn exercise bike 30 years ago and still use it almost daily during winter. Like, right now. :happy
Topic Author
Moolala

Post by Moolala »

Thank you everyone! Every single post here is helpful! And these ideas are all so great and simple I'm feeling motivated to go and get fit.

Thank you, too, for all the background info. Good to know, for instance, that it takes a while to do good pull ups in a row, and all of the tips on Netflix, stairs, weights and bike trainers! This will be less expensive than I thought and I will be getting a much more rounded workout. :beer
Topic Author
Moolala

Post by Moolala »

Watty wrote:If you live in an apartment or condo using a jump rope or weights might not make you very popular.
Watty, you made me laugh. Good point! Thankfully, I'm on the ground floor! :D
pondering

Post by pondering »

To increase your aerobic capacity you need to do work out at at least 70% of you maximum heart rate for at least 30 minutes 2 to 3 times a week.

There are a lot of benefits to the other exercises suggested here.

A good measure to see if you are working out enough is to see if your resting heart beat is decreasing. Getting below 60 is ideal. The easiest way to measure this is via a fitness band when sleeping, though you can just learn to ready your pulse when you have had a calm period.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
SleepKing

Post by SleepKing »

https://ddpyoga.com

Nice program that I've used for a while.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Craigslist. I bought a nearly new spinning bike for $100.

I like the spin bike because it is very compact, move-able, light weight and it is a very good workout.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Moolala wrote:
Watty wrote:If you live in an apartment or condo using a jump rope or weights might not make you very popular.
Does this imply there are upper floors? Doesn't your apartment building have stairs to the upper floors? A few posts ago you said... "Wish I had stairs."
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

leonard wrote:Check out suspension trainers like Blast Straps or TRX. I have the Blast Straps, and they can really provide a good workout.
Yeah, those are good! Have them at the climbing gym.
bklyn96

Post by bklyn96 »

If you decide to get a stationary trainer I recommend lots of towels under the bike...you'll sweat like mad indoors.

Also, indoor riding can become boring quickly. This book has detailed stationary bike workout plans that will give you variety and a challenge:

Smart Cycling: Successful Training and Racing for Riders of All Levels by Arnie Baker

Good luck with your training! :happy
Topic Author
Moolala

Post by Moolala »

cheese_breath wrote:
Moolala wrote:
Does this imply there are upper floors? Doesn't your apartment building have stairs to the upper floors? A few posts ago you said... "Wish I had stairs."
It does, in fact. But they are sketch-y! Fortunately I'm only here temporarily, working my first full-time low-paying job in a very expensive city. And since my area makes it too dangerous to go out much at night, goodness knows I'll use that time to get fit! :D
Topic Author
Moolala

Post by Moolala »

bklyn96 wrote: Also, indoor riding can become boring quickly. This book has detailed stationary bike workout plans that will give you variety and a challenge:

Smart Cycling: Successful Training and Racing for Riders of All Levels by Arnie Baker

Good luck with your training! :happy
So true, and definitely something I'm worried about. I'll check out that book!
pondering wrote: A good measure to see if you are working out enough is to see if your resting heart beat is decreasing. Getting below 60 is ideal. The easiest way to measure this is via a fitness band when sleeping, though you can just learn to ready your pulse when you have had a calm period.
Great tip. Thank you!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It's been a few days since this thread started, so the OP must've already bought a pull-up bar and worked their way up to at least 3 reps of 3 pull-ups. Our work is done here.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

livesoft wrote:It's been a few days since this thread started, so the OP must've already bought a pull-up bar and worked their way up to at least 3 reps of 3 pull-ups. Our work is done here.
Hasn't it only been under 24 hours?

Speaking of which, one way to make time fly while exercising is to play a game. I've tried reading and watching TV, but for me, while spinning an exercise bike, nothing passes the time like a few rounds of "plants vs zombies"
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

random_walker_77 wrote:Hasn't it only been under 24 hours?
Oh, those were naps I woke up from and not full overnight sleeps. Nevermind. Sorry.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Chin up bar, weights, and a stationary cycle. Try Craigslist for a reasonably used one.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Most home exercise equipment quickly ends up in a corner. I suggest pulling on some running shoes and drive if you must to a large park where long runs are safe. Most will have some sort of paracourse equipment for pull-ups etc. Far better to get out.
Your local YMCA may be cheaper than you think also and you could add swimming to the mix.
Good luck, and stay motivated.
Truth and clarity are important in all things...
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

John 235

Post by John 235 »

repetitive / make a schedule
yoga / floor exercises / stretching routines / bent knee toe touches etc
slow hand weights / slow tubing / swimming motions / going for walks etc
old bicycle on wind trainer stand, have been using for decades, still <$70 on ebay
gardening / digging dirt / chopping grass with machete or kitchen knife (faster than mower)
rearranging photos and paintings on wall / painting the house / cleaning and tossing out junk
Jack Bogle says a reasonable alternative to an index fund would be to hold a well-diversified portfolio of individual stocks, as long as they are held long-term, with a minimum of trading costs. ~ Wiki
CoinCounter

Post by CoinCounter »

Pluto9th wrote:A book on using ones own body weight for fitness training: ”You are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. I haven't bought/read it yet but it's on my list, figuring if one day I have no access to a gym or wide-open space this would be a good option (maybe this is a great exercise book for prison inmates, haha). Hmm, Kindle version is $1.99, maybe I'll go buy it now.
+1

I've followed this for years because I'm too cheap for a gym. App is also highly recommended.
I think what I am seeing here is the ol' behavioral finance trap of loss aversion. Namely, folks rate losses twice as bad as the corresponding gains. Get over it. Get over loss aversion. - livesoft
telemark

Post by telemark »

A good thing to pair with a pullup bar is an extension trainer. TRX is overpriced, but I like the Lifeline Jungle Gym. $49 from the manufacturer or you can often find them on Amazon for less.

https://www.lifelinefitness.com/store/p ... ductID=684

I've used mine mainly for rehab, but every time I get it out I think "why don't I use this more?"
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Get an Amazon Echo Dot and ask Alexa to enable the "7 Minute Workout".
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

John 235 wrote:/ chopping grass with machete or kitchen knife (faster than mower)
Ha Ha! I don't think too many people would recommend this grass cutting method. It might raise some eyebrows, too. Also, the OP lives in an apartment.

However, for others who like to get stronger while mowing the lawn, old fashioned rotary push mowers work great!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

shmidds wrote:Get an Amazon Echo Dot and ask Alexa to enable the "7 Minute Workout".
Or this .. https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Fondas-Work ... orkout+dvd :D
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

telemark wrote:A good thing to pair with a pullup bar is an extension trainer. TRX is overpriced, but I like the Lifeline Jungle Gym. $49 from the manufacturer or you can often find them on Amazon for less.

I've used mine mainly for rehab, but every time I get it out I think "why don't I use this more?"
Half the price of the Jungle Gym https://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Military-Tr ... n+training. Wife and I have used this for 3yrs, exact same functionality as the TRX which costs 5x as much. Another fun cheap training gadget is an ab wheel https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fit ... s=ab+wheel - I've gotten to the point where I can do them standing, on a single leg.

I could write a book about this topic, but other posters have covered most of the basics.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

stoptothink wrote:
telemark wrote:A good thing to pair with a pullup bar is an extension trainer. TRX is overpriced, but I like the Lifeline Jungle Gym. $49 from the manufacturer or you can often find them on Amazon for less.

Half the price of the Jungle Gym https://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Military-Tr ... n+training. Wife and I have used this for 3yrs, exact same functionality as the TRX which costs 5x as much. Another fun cheap training gadget is an ab wheel https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fit ... s=ab+wheel - I've gotten to the point where I can do them standing, on a single leg.

I could write a book about this topic, but other posters have covered most of the basics.
Thanks for the tip on the low cost suspension trainer, I like them but not the price I had seen.

I like the ab wheel too, but what do you mean by "standing"? Like from a plank roll out flat and back? Or are you really standing?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Two categories of exercise (you need both):

1. Weight/strength. I would look for an assortment of hand weights or barbells or other weight things you can do at home. Perhaps thrift shops or check ads on boards in neighborhood. Maybe even out with the trash in neighborhood. Stretch bands can be good as well.

2. Aerobic. Start with a recumbent stationary bike. Look for someone selling one. Perhaps look for an elliptical that someone is not using any more.

I do almost daily exercise at a county gym. At a gym, you have access to better quality equipment and a wide choice. I don't use all of them, but at the gym I use most there is a 1/mile indoor track, 2 kinds of ellipticals, 2 kinds of stationary bikes, stairmasters, arm/leg climber, treadmills - and an array of free weights and weight machines. Look for city or county facilities for low cost, or "deals" at commercial gyms.