What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gkaplan

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by gkaplan »

Last night I watched Blessed is the Match: the Life and Death of Hannah Senesh.

In 1944, 22-year-old Hannah Senesh parachuted into Nazi-occupied Europe with a small group of Jewish volunteers from Palestine. Theirs was the only military rescue mission for Jews that occurred in World War II. Narrated by Academy Award nominee Joan Allen, this multi-award-winning documentary follows the remarkable journey of the young Hungarian poet and diarist, paratrooper, and resistance fighter. The film is told through Hannah's letters, diaries, and poems, her mother's memoirs, and the recollections of those who knew and loved her (including two of her fellow parachutists). It traces her life from her childhood in Budapest to her time in British-controlled Palestine – where she was drawn by the Kibbutz Movement that sought to build an independent Jewish state – to her daring mission to rescue Jews in her native Hungary. The documentary offers an intimate portrait of a singularly talented, courageous, and complex young woman. (Synopsis edited from DVD container.)

Interesting and heartbreaking, but I have two problems with the DVD: First of all, there were no captions for the hard-of-hearing. Secondly, it's not a documentary in the true sense of the word, but a docudrama, and the dramatization is irritating. They could have easily left out the dramatization, and told the story through the words of Hannah Senesh, her mother, and her nephews and the recollections of those who knew her.
Last edited by gkaplan on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

Gas Monopoly (2011) on Amzn /Non-fiction by Richard Ladkani
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Using 2 of our posters as references/critics, I take it that both didn't like "Jackie"and one didn't like "Lion" ...I was thinking of going to see the latter. Why didn't you like it? (Sorry, forgot the poster's name). The poster referenced "Slumdog Millionaire" but I never saw that, so I don't get the comparison.
The other poster was madbrain, who usually sees many films. :happy
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Just finished watching "SICARIO"......excellent. An idealistic FBI agent is enlisted by a government task force to aid in the escalating war against drugs at the border area between the U.S. and Mexico.

Saw the recommendation on this thread from a previous poster.....RoadHouseFan.......thanks.....great movie!
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Took the family to Rogue One today. Everyone enjoyed it.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
pondering

Post by pondering »

We really enjoy movies.

We had 4 Christmases and the Holiday on while unwrapping presents.

We saw Sing this afternoon.

We watched Love Actually for at least the 10th time after we put our daughter to bed.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I saw The Kind Words on Netflix this evening. This is an Israeli film directed by Shemi Zarhin and starring Rotem Zissman-Cohen (sigh), Roy Assaf,
Magi Azarzar, Assaf Ben-Shimon, Maurice Bénichou, Tsahi Halevi, Sasson Gabay, Levana Finkelstein, Deborah Bloch, and Louise Portal.

This film follows three Jewish Israeli siblings – Dorona and her brothers Netanel and Shai – who, in the wake of their mother's death, learn the man who raised them is not their biological dad. The revelation sends them on a road trip from Israel across France to discover the truth about their real father. It explores an unraveling family secret and the bittersweet journey of self-discovery that follows. (Synopsis edited from library website catalog.)

This is a great film. I can't recommend this strongly enough.
Gordon
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Recently viewed "La La Land." Well worth seeing. Leads Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are not strong singers, but they bring verve and naturalness to their roles and the picture does a good job re-booting the Musical.

Not Gene and Fred, nor Judy Garland, but "LLL" is fresh, original and worth seeing.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

It's A Wonderful Life, with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.

I watched this with my wife, 3 of our children and 2 of our grandchildren on Christmas Eve.

This was Stewart's first picture after service in U.S. Army Air Corps in Europe in World War Two, flying B24 bombers.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Rogue 1 and Passengers.Rogue1 good not great.Passengers pretty good.Passengers had a few moments where you had to say really,come on now.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

On further review,Passengers is just not very good. :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

"The Edge of Seventeen" is a funny and keenly-observed ninety-four minutes.

Hailee Steinfeld and Woody Harrelson are excellent, and the rest of the cast quite good. Plot's fairly predictable (it's a teen angst movie, after all) but the characters are nicely rounded and there are a few nice surprises along the way. Worth seeing.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-edge-of-se ... terview/2/
MP173

Post by MP173 »

The Martian.

Apollo 13 meets Gravity. Pretty good movie.

Ed
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

ruralavalon wrote:It's A Wonderful Life, with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.

I watched this with my wife, 3 of our children and 2 of our grandchildren on Christmas Eve.

This was Stewart's first picture after service in U.S. Army Air Corps in Europe in World War Two, flying B24 bombers.
My favorite Christmas movie. We watch it, along with the original Miracle on 34th Street and White Christmas every year. I am also fond of the less-classic Elf.

Interesting trivia about Stewart: While he was a Colonel in the war, he was promoted to Brigadier General in the Air Force Reserves.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

I am a fan of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and multiple
movies have been made of this classic going back to the silent
movie era. Several animated and puppet versions have also been
produced. Many use the title Scrooge and A Christmas Carol
interchangeably. My favorites are:

1.) Scrooge 1951
Alastair Sim is the quintessential Scrooge. The best version of
A Christmas Carol in my opinion.
9/10
2.) A Christmas Carol 1984
George C. Scott does a pretty good Scrooge and the child
playing Tiny Tim will melt your heart. Costumes and sets
are first class.
8/10
3.) Scrooge 1935
Seymour Hicks plays the most caustic and curmudgeon Scrooge
of all. The atmospherics are foggy and spooky, almost like a
Bela Lugosi movie.
7.5/10
4.) Scrooge 1970
A musical version of A Christmas Carol with Albert Finney as
Scrooge. Numerous liberties are taken with the book but a
different take on the theme with lots of music is not bad.
7.5/10
5.) A Christmas Carol 1938
My least favorite of my favorites. Reginald Owen is just not
a convincing Scrooge and the ridiculous departure from the
novel at the end was a bummer. Some people like this version
but for me not nearly as good as the others I have mentioned.
6/10
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

wilson08 wrote: 1.) Scrooge 1951
Alastair Sim is the quintessential Scrooge. The best version of
A Christmas Carol in my opinion.
9/10
Yes! The best one I have seen. Sim brightens up any movie he is in.
3.) Scrooge 1935
Seymour Hicks plays the most caustic and curmudgeon Scrooge
of all. The atmospherics are foggy and spooky, almost like a
Bela Lugosi movie.
7.5/10

5.) A Christmas Carol 1938
My least favorite of my favorites. Reginald Owen is just not
a convincing Scrooge and the ridiculous departure from the
novel at the end was a bummer. Some people like this version
but for me not nearly as good as the others I have mentioned.
6/10
One of the above two is the one I grew up with but I haven't seen it in years and don't know which it was. If I had to guess it would be the 1938.

The sim version is certainly better.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Sully. Hanks was very good as Sullenberger, but the NTSB portrayed as bad guy was just sad and spoiled much of it for me. Reading the NTSB's report, you can see how far off the movie was:
http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Acci ... AR1003.pdf

There also is much more to the story, fascinating detail that wasn't included in the movie or was only alluded to. And if anyone is interested in that, there is William Langwiesche's 2009 book, Fly By Wire; and Sullenberger, who has disagreed with Langwiesche about the Airbus A320, also wrote a book, Highest Duty.

I think the heroism and skill of Sullenberger and his crew, the ditching, the rescues, the extraordinary luck that day are all that Eastwood should’ve needed for a good movie. So why an antagonist at all?
Last edited by Fallible on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

Andrew Carnegie : Rags to riches, Power to peace. https://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Carnegie- ... B01KYBTVVI A Great movie imo.
letsgobobby

Deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We finished "Orange is the New Black" Season 4 and also "Narcos" Season 2. Both are on Netflix and I recommend them.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

The Accountant featuring an autistic Ben Affleck who is a better actor than his pretty face. The script and story are tight and fast moving. The ending has a nice twist. It's a great action flick with family value at its core (but not for the family - too violent) with a strong supporting cast.

Of the few I saw this year, it's right up there with Kubo and The Two Strings, followed by Spotlight, Rogue one, Civil War, Dead Pool, Zootopia, The Jungle Book, X-men, Sully, Jason Bourne, Batman vs. Superman, Star Trek Beyond, Finding Dory, and then Suicide Squad.

It has been quite a year for movies.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

hoops777 wrote:On further review,Passengers is just not very good. :D
I have no clue how Jennifer Lawrence keeps tricking people into casting her in movies. She's awful.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

htdrag11 wrote:The Accountant featuring an autistic Ben Affleck who is a better actor than his pretty face. The script and story are tight and fast moving. The ending has a nice twist. It's a great action flick with family value at its core (but not for the family - too violent) with a strong supporting cast.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I really like Affleck and am a huge Kendrick fan.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Watched "The Legend of Bagger Vance"...

A down-and-out golfer attempts to recover his game and his life with help from a mystical caddy.
Director: Robert Redford
Writers: Steven Pressfield (novel), Jeremy Leven (screenplay)
Stars: Will Smith, Matt Damon, Charlize Theron | See full cast & crew

Great movie.....I enjoy golf so it had a bit more meaning. My wife also enjoyed (she's not a golfer)
stumblebum

Post by stumblebum »

not a fan of the standard hollywood drivel--

this guy is a master of documentaries, have watched most of his films--

this one is excellent as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo_%26_Be ... cted_World

albeit a decade old---its mind-numbingly brilliant and will knock your socks off learning of the incredible subject of the film.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Di ... eds_to_Fly
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, I watched a documentary on Shimon Peres on Netflix, I Am Shimon Peres.

The documentary follows the Israeli leader during a period of four years and highlights his political career and his private life. It was okay. I would have liked to have known more about the staff who surrounded him during the making of this document. The documentary identified none of them.
Gordon
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am interested in seeing "The Founder" - the story of Ray Kroc and the building of McDoanld's. Michael Keaton is playing Mr. Kroc.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Up, from Pixar. I love the dogs ("He wears the Cone of Shame!"), but what I noticed as a Boglehead was the sequence in the beginning where they are saving for a trip, and then something happens and they have to spend the money, over and over again.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, I watched two cute Israeli films on Amazon Prime Video.

The first was Like a Fish Out of Water. Marcelo is a non-religious young man, an actor and a single parent. He`s desperately looking for someone to help him improve his Hebrew accent so he can pass the auditions for an Israeli soap opera. Anat, his religious teacher, is probably the best solution, but it seems that she hates soap operas.

The second was Is That You?. Ronnie, a 60-year-old projectionist from Israel, is fired from his job and travels to the United States to find Rachel, the love of his life from his youth.
Gordon
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Twelve O'Clock High (1949). Excellent study of leadership, as well as entertaining and good visuals on WWII flying.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We watched Al Gore "An Inconvenient Truth" on Netflix.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Hacksaw Ridge

Directed by Mel Gibson, this movie tells the story of Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector during WW II and how he became a medic and saved the lives of 75 men on Okinawa.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I watched another Israeli film on Amazon Prime last night, Walk on Water.

While on assignment in Berlin, a homophobic Israeli intelligence agent with a license to kill is tasked with offing a Nazi war criminal; however, he has a crisis of consciousness after he befriends a target's gay grandson.

Quite good. Very thought provoking. I've been thinking about the movie ever since I saw it last night. I haven't been able to get it out of my head.
Gordon
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

peppers wrote:Hacksaw Ridge

Directed by Mel Gibson, this movie tells the story of Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector during WW II and how he became a medic and saved the lives of 75 men on Okinawa.
I wanted to see that! Sounds interesting and I believe it is based on a true story.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Star Trek Beyond, on Blu-ray DVD. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Singing In The Rain, with Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly, and Dennis O'Connor.

This is a wonderful classic movie musical.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Suicide Squad- Entertaining. How Will Smith still works is beyond me.
Magnificent 7- Not bad. But Denzel can do no wrong.
Star Trek Beyond was OK. They do have a good cast to keep making more.

Still waiting on LaLaLand to come in my Sag Screener.
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Film experts here ... Is it possible that "Lion" has been retitled "A Long Way Home"? Looks like it, but it was Lion last week. (?)
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We rented "Scully" from Redbox. Directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Tom Hanks about the landing of the U.S. Air plan in the Hudson River in January 2009. Incredible and amazing story.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watched Independence Day 2. Her ewe are 20 years later. Not bad and a lot of relationships and draw from the first. Was the first better? In my opinion yes and at the time it was cutting edge. This version wrote out a lot of the actors and characters from the first film. Overall not bad.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Ok - my wife picked "Bad Moms". Surprisingly not bad and funny at times.
MariaT

Post by MariaT »

Few days ago watched "Manchester By The Sea" at the movie theatre. What an excellent movie. Highly recommend.

Last night saw "Green Fingers" on Amazon Prime and what a delightful movie. It's the story of 3 inmates, with the assistance of an old man who has been in prison for a very long time, honed their skills in gardening. It is a feel good inspiring movie starring Clive Owen and Helen Mirren as the renowned author of gardening books.
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Looked up the film. Yes, "Lion" is also subtitled "a long way home" ....the review I read said the performances given were great but he didn't like the way the film was done. Wonder if the book is much more in depth.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

I watched "13 Hours" (the Benghazi story) last night on Sling TV. It was a good movie with a lot of action, and I like that they didn't throw in political jabs at the White House for not helping. It would have ruined the story. They would just occasionally mention that they tried calling for help, and it wasn't coming.

The only part that I thought was a little strange was that they continuously made the CIA station chief, Bob, look terrible. I googled him later, and he is quoted as saying the movie isn't accurate. You can make up your own mind about who is right.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

ruralavalon wrote:Singing In The Rain, with Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly, and Dennis O'Connor.

This is a wonderful classic movie musical.
Agree. The most memorable scenes for me were Kelly's "Rain" dance, O'connor's "Make 'Em Laugh," and a surprise great performance from Jean Hagen, which I didn't immediately appreciate. How about, "Well sure we talk. Don't everybody?"
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, directed by Tim Burton. If you're a Tim Burton fan and wondered if he could make a movie that's not animated, watch this. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

High Fidelity, which I enjoyed more than I remembered, so I also re-watched a few other John Cusack faves: The Sure Thing and Better Off Dead.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Ninnie wrote:High Fidelity, which I enjoyed more than I remembered, so I also re-watched a few other John Cusack faves: The Sure Thing and Better Off Dead.
I liked 1408 with Cusak. It's a super weird horror movie that has a couple twists.

Edit: well I liked it more than I thought I would and more than most people.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I saw Blue Jay tonight on Netflix, directed by Alex Lehmann and starring Sarah Paulson, Mark Duplass, and Clu Gulager.

Two high school sweethearts run into each other in a grocery store parking lot after twenty years. Amanda is married with two kids, and Jim is in town to take care of his recently deceased mother's estate. What begins as just a cup of coffee turns into a day of rediscovering the town they grew up in and sharing stories. As the day progresses, they stop feeling like strangers and rediscover the old familiar feeling they had when they were each other's everything – as well as a big secret from their past. Written by Mark Duplass.

I'm not sure why there's a director's credit, because Sarah Paulson and Mark Duplass seem to be improving all through the film. Nothing much really happens in it, but it still managed to hold my interest throughout.
Gordon
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

China vs. USA : Empires at War ; non-fiction, by Anthony Dufour.
8 Murders a day non-fiction , by Charlie Minn, about Mexico's economic workings.