Quartz versus granite

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cestan

Quartz versus granite

Post by cestan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Redoing the kitchen. Wife trying to decide on quartz versus granite countertops. She likes that the quartz is whiter. Also the quartz is more expensive but we can afford it. Any thoughts on advantages and disadvantages of both. We have several children so these countertops will see lots of wear. What are your thoughts.

daveydoo

Re: Quartz versus granite

Post by daveydoo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Quartz is "better," but granite is prettier and more distinctive, imo. CR had a recent issue on this (Aug, maybe), and there's a wealth of opinions everywhere. Quartz is less likely to be radioactive :happy

If you're just going for white, then probably quartz -- I find some of the granite-look patterns to be kinda fake-y. (But I suspect there were others where I never even knew).
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

dailybagel

Post by dailybagel » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Family has quartz countertops installed.

My sense is that quartz is harder to clean -- it seems like it's just a little bit more porous, and takes more physical work with a paper towel to clean.

It might be possible to achieve granite-equivalent clean-ability with special sealant, but I'm not sure about this.

I personally would prefer granite for this reason, all aesthetic considerations being equal.

IceNine

Post by IceNine » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:08 pm

We did our kitchen this year. We went with quartz. Nonporous, does not need to be sealed and resealed. It looks great. Googling "quartz or granite" will yield lots of info.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:08 pm

dailybagel wrote:Family has quartz countertops installed.

My sense is that quartz is harder to clean -- it seems like it's just a little bit more porous, and takes more physical work with a paper towel to clean.

It might be possible to achieve granite-equivalent clean-ability with special sealant, but I'm not sure about this.

I personally would prefer granite for this reason, all aesthetic considerations being equal.
Are you sure it was Quartz and not Quartzite? In any case - I thought both were less porous than granite.

rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:20 pm

My wife and I installed quartz approximately 1 year ago. Quartz is much easier to maintain, much more stain resistant and not really porous at all. It does not need sealing but granite does need sealing. You can damage any of these surfaces if you try though. Esthetically, it seems granite can have a mirror finish but quartz is not to that level but still shiny. There are many different patterns that have a almost real marble/granite look in quartz; we chose one; Cesarstone London Grey. We are very happy with that choice. Since we made that choice Cesarstone has even more realistic marble/granite types (more expensive) that look quite spectacular. Both Cesarstone and Pental have super white white colors. Also the less expensive granites do not look so good to my eye; Home Depot types.

I would choose quartz again even considering cost; it is one time. Go online and look at the variety of quartz. Cesarstone has a site where you can play with all the colors on a kitchen; a lot of fun.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:35 pm

FWIW...Installation is important; so a good contractor is critical. Cesarstone comes in slabs of 56.5x120 (inches) and you have to consider seams. I saw one unhappy example where the folks went cheap and ended up with a seam in the middle of the sink! I also saw they may have a jumbo size of 65x130. Also I recommend trying to see examples in person; slabs being best compared to small samples. If you are in the Los Angeles area, both Pental and Cesarstone have distribution centers with all the slabs for your examination. Once you see them in person, it may change your opinion or confirm your choice. Good Luck!
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

Green Nut

Post by Green Nut » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:22 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
dailybagel wrote:Family has quartz countertops installed.

Are you sure it was Quartz and not Quartzite? In any case - I thought both were less porous than granite.
That's my bet. Having Quartzite (White Fantasy) I can attest to the painstaking clean-ability, and as mine is white I would never own it with kids around, it's hard enough to keep spot free with my wife...love her to death, but what a torrid mess she leaves behind. We looked into buying Quartz, but what we saw didn't look the way we wanted.

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Are you talking quartzite or engineered quartz (such as Silestone or Caesarstone)? Some of the responses you received reference quartzite and some reference engineered quartz. There are significant differences between these two products. I just did a fast Google search and found this site comparing them:

http://www.countertopguides.com/guides/ ... rtops.html

I have Silestone engineered quartz countertops in two bathrooms and granite countertops in my kitchen and a third bathroom. It's personal preference which you like better aesthetically. I have not had any issues with maintenance with any of my countertops. None of them are anywhere near new and they all look as good as the day they were installed. I put hot pots directly down on the granite countertops in my kitchen. I don't think you can do that with engineered quartz since it is held together using a plastic resin so if you think there is a chance that someone cooking in your kitchen may forget to use a trivet, I would go with granite.

I know nothing about quartzite.

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:06 pm

I agree with Beth. It is personal preference and it really depends on the look that you are trying to achieve. I find granite to be a little bit more natural looking, but quartz fits in well with the more modern design kitchens or white kitchens.

mancich

Post by mancich » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Granite will likely have somewhat of a less uniform pattern look. I have engineered quartz in the master bathroom, installed in 2006, and it looks like the day we installed it. Very easy to clean with Clorox wipes, Windex, or whatever. No sealing or special treatment required. But I'm sure granite would do just as well. Probably comes down to aesthetics, since the OP can afford either.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:22 pm

I ended up with Silestone quartz because it has less of a pattern. In my kitchen, there was a tile backsplash that I didn't want to rip out - little tiles of about 6 different colors. All the granite samples I brought home were just too busy against the backsplash. Looked about as good as a plaid shirt with a paisley tie.

The quartz has been here for 2 years. Looks good as new. I don't do anything other than wipe it with a washcloth.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Beth* wrote:.... I put hot pots directly down on the granite countertops in my kitchen. I don't think you can do that with engineered quartz since it is held together using a plastic resin so if you think there is a chance that someone cooking in your kitchen may forget to use a trivet, I would go with granite.

At first, I thought "Beth* is wrong!" :twisted: After all, I don't use trivets for my silestone and, after ten years, have not had problems. Nonethless, a quick search revealed this site, which states that both engineered quartz and granite can suffer thermal shock and the use of trivets is encouraged: https://www.tilelines.com/2013/10/29/ho ... ountertop/

So, I've probably been lucky so far, as has Beth*. :happy

On the larger question, it is mainly a personal aesthetic call. We remain glad that we chose engineered quartz and use the kitchen without worrying about hurting the counters. Granite owners likely do the same.
Edit Signature

FWF406

Post by FWF406 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Both! We did dark granite counters with a clean white single height white quartz island in our house about a year ago. I really like the contrast between the two.

edge

Post by edge » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:49 pm

If it was me, I would favor Quartz over low end granite. Quartz looks good and is slightly easier to live with / maintain.

However, the pattern/appeal/beauty of high end granite blows the look of quartz out of the water.

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:10 pm

If you choose granite, I recommend buying it from a place where you can choose your own slab. Two different slabs of the same type of granite can look very different. A good granite company will work with you to figure out the optimal places to cut the slab in order to put the parts you like best in the most visible locations. A big box store is not going to do this.

daveatca

Quartz

Post by daveatca » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Engineered quartz. FYI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineered_stone

Many shades of white from many manufacturers.
Consider a 20mm thick slab instead of the usual 30mm to save some money.
Thinner is very trendy in Europe now. FYI - http://www.caesarstone.ca/en/News/Artic ... -2016.aspx

Quartz is stronger than granite. And, no chance of hidden flaw.
Quartz is less porous than granite.

We are now going on 6 years with white quartz. Hanstone.
Red wine spills have always cleaned up with a wipe of a sponge.
No burn marks from hot pans as we don't set them directly on the countertop.
Has not chipped.
Very happy.
Last edited by daveatca on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:48 pm

We went with quartz, silestone I think, in the kitchen (2 years ago, a marble looking white) and master bath (1.5 years ago, a brown speckle pattern). Both installed by the same home depot contractor, we even asked for the same guys. Couldn't be happier. And quartz is not as pourous as granite. Our kitchen counter looks as good as the day it was installed.

cholan

Post by cholan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Our U shaped kitchen has Cambria Quartz with just two seams, barely noticeable. We would have liked to have installed one of their newer wavy patterns but the seam matching would have been difficult.

https://www.cambriausa.com/
...leaving not a rack behind.

RDB

Post by RDB » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:57 pm

We have Quartz (silestone) in our kitchen, granite in one bath, Carrara marble in one bath. If I did I all over, I would put quartz everywhere.

bds3

Post by bds3 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Quartz, without a doubt. The only reason to get granite over quartz (for the average consumer) is if you absolutely love a specific granite look and there isn't a similar enough quartz option.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:43 pm

One thing to watch out for is that granite counter-tops come in a lot of different grades and it is really hard to know how what quality granite you are getting since something can be attractive but not high quality.

Another problem is that somewhere I heard a geologist talking about "granite" counter-tops and he said that a lot of the stuff that is being sold as granite really isn't granite but it is some other stone instead which could have much different wear and staining characteristics. A quick search found found this explanation.

http://geology.about.com/od/stonestuff/ ... estone.htm

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 pm

We redid our kitchen in dark granite ten years ago. We picked our own slab and it's pretty. There've been at least two drawbacks (in our case) that I can think of.

1. We went cheap with our choice of the edge, we didn't choose rounded or beveled but just a 90 degree angle edge. It was the cheapest. As a result we have several places now with chips in the edge from our inadvertent banging of pots and pans into it, mostly near the sink when we do the dishes. It's not so noticeable visually unless you examine it closely but if you run your finger along the edge you can feel them. This likely could've been avoided by choosing a rounded edge but we didn't anticipate this problem.

2. Another drawback is that when a glass or plate falls or is banged onto the rock-hard countertop it usually shatters.

These aren't huge problems but we've talked about getting Corian if we ever do this again.

Calidude

Post by Calidude » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:16 am

I have had both granite and caesarstone. With my dark granite I never sealed or did anything special and never had an issue of any sort.

My 4 year old caesarstone is white and has disappointed me in its resistance to stains, chips and heat. We have a number of small chips that are annoying if you focus on the details but really don't amount to much to be honest. The staining is also just a nuisance but we haven't had anything that soft scrub with bleach won't remove and with one exception our counters look brand new after a good cleaning. As others have said don't expect to just wipe up red wine with a paper towel or sponge, although that was my experience with multiple granites. The one significant issue we have is a ring from a hot pot that appeared recently (from a pan that was supposedly not quite stove hot but obviously too hot for the counter and/or was left on counter for too long). We are going to have the installer come by and see if anything can be done but I don't have high hopes.

I should also note that while I like the look of white marble it's far too precious for me so I would never get it.

Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Both seem to have their flaws.
We have granite. Installed about 15 years ago. Its one of the darker patterns (black but with sparkles of blue and silver (?) as the husband I am prone to be wrong about colors!).
The granite is supposed to be resealed every year which I admit not to getting on as timely. It has gotten some blemishes. One when my wife thought she was seeing a stain and scrubbed so hard it caused a smear or dullness about the size just smaller than a dime. A relative thought you could use it as a cutting board and sliced a couple knife cuts in it. We have sharp knives. Might be some odd light cracks that have occurred or just weren't noticed when installed - its natural so I expect natural flaws. It does tend to have a cold surface - great for making pie dough.
Cleaning you must be careful not to use certain chemicals , ammonia is one of them.
BIL installed quartz. It looks too perfect for me. Just has that manufactured look like Corian or formica to me. Hard as stone and he sets hot pans on it. He says they don't have to seal it. It has stained. Has chipped.
Disclaimer- I do own stock in Caeserstone so BUY all the quartz you want, as often, in as big a quantity you can!

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:27 pm

How about a nice thick slab o' glass. Mostly the same material as quartz, but cheaper. Black or translucent with glitter-like particles maybe. Sand blast for a frosted grippy surface. Start a new trend!

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:36 pm

nominalBob wrote:... Start a new trend!
Never mind. It turns out it's already a "thing".
http://www.thinkglass.com/glass-counter ... ps-kitchen

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Nicolas wrote:These aren't huge problems but we've talked about getting Corian if we ever do this again.
+1 on Corian. Ours is almost ten year old and still looks like new with no maintenance.

If you do get it in the future then one trick is to make sure that you keep the scraps, like where they cut out the kitchen sink.

They are pretty resistant to damage but the scrap can be used to make a patch to make a repair in the countertop if you ever need to fix it because of really bad damage. The way that the installer explained it was that they could just cut out a round hold then cut a round plug the same size to put in the hole. Something like a small ding could be sanded down and repolished to fix it. It sounded like he only occasionally had to do the "sand down" repairs and it was really rare to actually need to put a patch in the Corian, but when he did it was not a big deal.

The pattern on ours is sort of speckled so that you cannot see the seams so a properly done patch would be be unnoticeable.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Quartz is the "cool" thing at the moment...like granite was 5 years ago. Wait another 5 years and concrete will be back. Stop watching hgtv and go with what you like...what you prefer...not what people say is "cool" or "in."

leod

Post by leod » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:48 pm

ponyboy wrote:Stop watching hgtv"
made a mistake during the summer, it made my wife want to redo the bathroom and paint the kitchen cabinets white and planning to do other items

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:23 pm

granite was new in our house when we moved in three years ago. It's light years beyond laminate or tile counters in our rentals.

it's a dark pattern so it hides stains really well. i'm not aware of any that show, and we're pretty messy.

But it does seem a little porous, and some of the edges and corners have some small wear and chips. I'd seriously look at what quartz could do if we were looking for new.

kiva22

Post by kiva22 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 pm

We just went through this and had a quartz picked out. It just didn't sit well with me as it felt too 'fake' (it is a lot of resin / glue). Friend turned me on to Soapstone and we went with it. We LOVE IT. You have to be into something more "natural' looking. Color choices are more limited as it's a natural stone (grey, greens, black). It's the same stuff they use in Chemistry classrooms as it's impervious to chemicals / liquids and can withstand any heat you can throw at it (quartz and granite can't do that). Doesn't require sealing, but most people oil it from time to time to speed up the 'patina' that forms over time.

It is incredibly dense, but it is "soft". You'd have to go with somebody who knows soapstone.

http://www.remodelista.com/posts/remode ... -and-cons/

matt

Last edited by kiva22 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:59 pm

I have quartz counter tops from Cambria. Expensive and worth the $$$. I have had them for 5 years and they look new. Easy care, no sealing necessary.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:50 pm

kiva22 wrote:We just went through this and had a quartz picked out. It just didn't sit well with me as it felt too 'fake' (it is a lot of resin / glue). Friend turned me on to Soapstone and we went with it. We LOVE IT. You have to be into something more "natural' looking. Color choices are more limited as it's a natural stone (grey, greens, black). It's the same stuff they use in Chemistry classrooms as it's impervious to chemicals / liquids and can withstand any heat you can throw at it (quartz and granite can't do that). Doesn't require sealing, but most people oil it from time to time to speed up the 'patina' that forms over time.

It is incredibly dense, but it is "soft". You'd have to go with somebody who knows soapstone.

matt

Love your soapstone. This was my first choice but not my wife's

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:02 pm

Even before all of the rage about granite countertops, I found them to be quite ugly. Better to have that plastic stuff (whatever it is called) or quartz. I much prefer quartz. So shiny and good looking! Go for white quartz with some designs there with some sparkles.

kiva22

Post by kiva22 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:07 pm

TonyDAntonio wrote:
kiva22 wrote:We just went through this and had a quartz picked out. It just didn't sit well with me as it felt too 'fake' (it is a lot of resin / glue). Friend turned me on to Soapstone and we went with it. We LOVE IT. You have to be into something more "natural' looking. Color choices are more limited as it's a natural stone (grey, greens, black). It's the same stuff they use in Chemistry classrooms as it's impervious to chemicals / liquids and can withstand any heat you can throw at it (quartz and granite can't do that). Doesn't require sealing, but most people oil it from time to time to speed up the 'patina' that forms over time.

matt

Love your soapstone. This was my first choice but not my wife's
ya, the colors are limited. the above isn't my kitchen, btw...just of google images ;)

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:30 pm

We have caesarstone and love it. Very easy to clean, no nicks so far (its three years old) and a nice modern look that I like.

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:48 pm

When we remodeled our kitchen in our last home, we went with quartz. I loved it. Easy care, no sealing, cleaned up well. After 4 years it still looked like new. Our new home has granite which I truly hate. I don't know what to use to seal it, and I'm constantly worried about chipping it. It is as someone above said, great for rolling out pie crust and biscuits, but so was quartz. I'm really just in mourning for my remodeled kitchen with the custom built cabinets. I'll never remodel again just to have to one day leave it :( Quartz comes in really beautiful colors.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:29 am

Caesarstone Raven kitchen, 2 kids and 2 countersurfing dogs.
Holding up like new, 4 years later.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 am

bds3 wrote:Quartz, without a doubt. The only reason to get granite over quartz (for the average consumer) is if you absolutely love a specific granite look and there isn't a similar enough quartz option.
Cost is another big reason. You can find attractive granites for $40/sq ft. Quartz is more like $70-$80/sq ft.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

cestan

Post by cestan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:23 am

have decided to go with granite since the wife likes the look better. in the bathrooms will likely use quartz since she needs it whiter so do not need to remove the tile work thanks for all the help and to all a merry christmas

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:28 am

daveydoo wrote:Quartz is "better," but granite is prettier and more distinctive, imo.
Excellent summary. Quartz from everything I can tell is a better material for countertops but granite has a more distinctive natural look that is more attractive to many. Personally I prefer the look of granite because I like natural materials and the variation being natural causes. But I can definitely understand why people would choose Quartz for a more consistent look and easier maintenance.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:29 am

matt

That island looks fantastic!
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Watty wrote:
Nicolas wrote:These aren't huge problems but we've talked about getting Corian if we ever do this again.
+1 on Corian. Ours is almost ten year old and still looks like new with no maintenance.

If you do get it in the future then one trick is to make sure that you keep the scraps, like where they cut out the kitchen sink.

They are pretty resistant to damage but the scrap can be used to make a patch to make a repair in the countertop if you ever need to fix it because of really bad damage. The way that the installer explained it was that they could just cut out a round hold then cut a round plug the same size to put in the hole. Something like a small ding could be sanded down and repolished to fix it. It sounded like he only occasionally had to do the "sand down" repairs and it was really rare to actually need to put a patch in the Corian, but when he did it was not a big deal.

The pattern on ours is sort of speckled so that you cannot see the seams so a properly done patch would be be unnoticeable.
Thanks Watty, I'll keep that in mind if we ever go that route. It won't be on our current house but maybe in the next.

scouter

Post by scouter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:10 pm

We chose quartz nine years ago when remodeling our kitchen and loved it, though we noticed that the patterns in it are more "regular" and look man-made when compared to the random patterns in granite. But this year we used quartz for our two bathrooms and were pleasantly surprised to see how far they've come with it. The pattern in our new quartz looks remarkably like granite. Many of the sub-contractors couldn't believe our vanity tops weren't granite, and they work around counter tops and vanities every day.