Any Air purifier recommendations – Mainly for Cooking Odor elimination

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dreamchaser

Any Air purifier recommendations – Mainly for Cooking Odor elimination

Post by dreamchaser »

Hi,

We do cook a lot of sea food and at times Asian and Indian food at home. Though it satisfies our taste buds it also generates lot of smell that lingers in the house for long time. In summer and when the weather is good, we try to cook outside or with all window and doors open. But being in north east it’s not always a possibility.

So looking for a decently priced purifier ($100-$200 per unit?) that works very well with minimizing cooking smell. Any experience with using one that actually works and/or recommendations?

PS: We don't have any pets or allergies so those are not our criteria in picking one.

Thanks.
Ninavi

Re: Any Air purifier recommendations – Mainly for Cooking Odor elimination

Post by Ninavi »

I am using “Winix WAC5500” for past one year, got it from Amazon. It’s a budget air purifier, it does ok. We have seen decent results if we keep it running during and after cooking.
Also along with this Air purifier, we have charcoal pads in our range hood filter, it helps.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

You would want one with a high-capacity chemical filtration unit. In other words, the more activated carbon (and zeolite) the air moves over, the better the unit will be at absorbing odors.

You should also look at the ventilation hood above your stove. Getting the odors out while you're cooking is going to be more effective than trying to filter out the chemical odors. Does your hood vent to the outside? Is the vent clear? How much air does it move?
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

We've used various air purifier units over the years, but none have really stood out. We finally decided to put a gas grill w/stovetop in our garage and cook stinky food out there when we need to. Open garage door after cooking >>> air purifier.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

We use a PacAir exhaust hood.
Commented to a RE agent in Seattle who was showing new construction: "The Asians that I know, immediately rip out the weak western style hoods for the Asian Style that are more efficient, quieter, and self cleaning. "

No other suggestion.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

itstoomuch wrote:We use a PacAir exhaust hood.
Commented to a RE agent in Seattle who was showing new construction: "The Asians that I know, immediately rip out the weak western style hoods for the Asian Style that are more efficient, quieter, and self cleaning. "

No other suggestion.
+1 on an upgraded exhaust hood. The good ones have enough suction to hold a pot lid to the fan intake.

We also use a box fan filter w/ activated carbon, and for ~$30 - $40, this does a great job of neutralizing cooking odors.

(see Fan Based DIY Air Purifier - Consumer Reports, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm)

Let me dig up some instructions and a link to the activated carbon...
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

a DIY box fan filter, good for allergies and for cooking odors
(if you buy any of the parts from amazon, be sure to use the amazon referral link at the top right to help support bogleheads)

steps:
1) Procure a 20" box fan, $17 at walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-20-Box ... e/42388499
(Sometimes < $10 at end-of-season clearance sales)

2) Get a high end 20x20 furnace filter. 3M filtrete 1500 or higher (1000 or higher should be enough for allergies, but the 1500 or higher also filters out airborne bacteria and viruses). Or MERV 11 or higher.
https://smile.amazon.com/20x20x1-Furnac ... trete+1900
(They're rated for 3 months, but if you add prefilters, they should be good for 6-12 months.)

Can be less than $10 each in bulk or on sale

3) buy a roll of activated carbon filter. This is great at absorbing cooking odors and also gets a lot of the dust too. Cut to 20" lengths. Should be < $10 a roll, which is good for 2 filters
https://smile.amazon.com/Cut---Fit-Carb ... bon+filter

4) to help preserve the more expensive filters, get a cheap < $1 spun fiberglass furnace filter. These get thrown away monthly.

Tape it all together: (air outlet side of fan)<- | box fan | expensive filter | carbon filter | cheap filter. Packaging tape works great. So does blue painter's tape, which is what I use for attaching the cheap filter, since the blue tape is pretty reusable.

One difference here is that I have the filters on the inlet side to help keep the motor and fan blades clean, and so I can see how dirty the filter is getting. The video shows the filter on the outlet side -- don't know how much of a difference this makes in efficiency.

An alternative plan calls for using bigger 20x25 filters, and then using two of them to one fan, taped into a triangle. The empty sides are then filled in with a piece of cardboard cut to shape and taped on. This increases the amount of filter area so as to decrease airflow resistance, but it makes the fan's footprint much larger, and would make it harder to use the activated carbon filter, which we like for odor absorption.
http://tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com/2013 ... ifier.html

Finally, interesting data from similar DIY fans, including long term particle counter data (courtesy of china, where the air is seriously dirty and air cleaners are for the upper class and ex-pats)
http://particlecounting.tumblr.com/?soc ... soc_trk=ma

http://smartairfilters.com/cn/en/our-da ... fier-work/
investorguy1

Post by investorguy1 »

Winix 5500. I have 2 of these and they are pretty good. There are lights that tell you when the air is clean green yellow and red). They are pretty quite on the lower settings. There is an auto setting where it will go higher or lower depending on how clean the air is.
Topic Author
dreamchaser

Post by dreamchaser »

Thanks for your suggestions.

Changing the suction may not be an option (but it may be the best) since our house is one year old. Nevertheless I will still get a quote to see where it falls in terms of $$.

random_walker_77 : Thanks for detailed instructions. I'm going to build one and see how well this is going to work.

Thanks.

Post by 123 »

The Asian brands for kitchen vent hoods seem to be much more powerful then the American brands in general. When we did a remodel we got a model "AC31" from Pacific http://www.2pacific.com/ . We've had it about 6 years without any problems. The particular model we got had their auto-clean feature but was a low-end model so it's kind of noisy when it's running. I'm thinking of having it replaced with with one that's quieter but I'd probably stick with the same brand since it has otherwise performed so well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

123 wrote:The Asian brands for kitchen vent hoods seem to be much more powerful then the American brands in general. When we did a remodel we got a model "AC31" from Pacific http://www.2pacific.com/ . We've had it about 6 years without any problems. The particular model we got had their auto-clean feature but was a low-end model so it's kind of noisy when it's running. I'm thinking of having it replaced with with one that's quieter but I'd probably stick with the same brand since it has otherwise performed so well.
have updated our unit (maybe 15yo) twice. Changed light from incandescent to CFL to LED. :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Have OP or anyone else try Poo-Pourri or similar?