Boston Logan Parking / Hotel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

Boston Logan Parking / Hotel?

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

Flying with my family to a wedding. Nearest nonstop flight is out of Logan. We plan to spend the night in a nearby hotel prior to our early morning flight. In the past, I was able to find Park, Sleep, and Fly deals at decent hotels priced equal to or less than a week in the Massport Economy lot (currently $138). Currently the best price I can find for a non-sleazy hotel in my timeframe is $189. Anybody have any creative ideas?
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
Millennial

Re: Boston Logan Parking / Hotel?

Post by Millennial »

What about a hotel near one of the Park and Ride locations? Those busses are run by massport and go on either hour or half hour intervals. Means a little more time to get to the airport but parking is free and hotel should be cheap in the burbs.
gtaylor

Post by gtaylor »

Yikes, $138 easy to Logan would take a bit of luck.

Maybe the Courtyard Boston Logan Airport, which is actually outside the airport up 1A, with a shuttle and park and fly program. Lists rooms for $135. Dunno what they charge for park and fly options.

The airport hotel is a Hilton, I stayed there once before an early bird flight. It is on the walkable tunnel/bridge circuit with the terminals, which is very nice for early morning staggering to the plane. There is also a Hyatt on the airport property, but not that I recall connected as such. These seem to be listed at $160. I assume both charge for parking, so they wouldn't really help.

All these of course would have the usual silly hotel tax rate added on, 25% or 40% or whatever the heck it is now. So really beating the $138 will be improbable.
traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch »

Use the airport Embassy Suites and park on-street in East Boston, outside the airport perimeter? I don't know what current parking restrictions on those streets look like, so take this approach with great care and perhaps only after a scouting trip.

More generally, find some place with free (street) parking, and use Fasten/Lyft/Uber to get to your hotel.

Depending on the direction you're coming from, consider the longer-distance coaches that serve Logan. e.g. does it make sense to take the bus from southern NH, where the park-and-ride lots might be free and, if desired, you can usually find cheap rooms?
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

traveltoomuch wrote:Use the airport Embassy Suites and park on-street in East Boston, outside the airport perimeter? I don't know what current parking restrictions on those streets look like, so take this approach with great care and perhaps only after a scouting trip.
That has possibilities, although there will be a risk of snow-removal related parking restrictions.
More generally, find some place with free (street) parking, and use Fasten/Lyft/Uber to get to your hotel
Unfortunately, 2 children in car seats would likely mean 2 taxis/ubers.. Unless my research can uncover a taxi company that uses vans...
Depending on the direction you're coming from, consider the longer-distance coaches that serve Logan. e.g. does it make sense to take the bus from southern NH, where the park-and-ride lots might be free and, if desired, you can usually find cheap rooms?
4 round trip tickets on said coach from Manchester or Concord appears to negate the hotel price advantage.

I'll look into it, but biting the bullet may be my best bet. Thanks for the ideas.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

Southern NH not an option, Boston Express' earliest bus out of Nashua isn't early enough.
Rebecca_S

Post by Rebecca_S »

If you reserve ahead, you can get taxi vans for a small upcharge.

Have you priced the cost of a car service to Boston?
Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me »

How early is "early"? And how far are you from Logan?

We have three kids and travel a few times a year. For a while we used to do the hotel the night before an early flight, but honestly it was not restful at all - many times I did not get any sleep from noise or the kids not being comfortable. So we then started just getting up super early to drive to the airport and it has worked much better for all of us. The money we save on the hotel we use to park in Central parking so we can just hop in the car and go home without worrying about a Park and Ride shuttle (and I think this might be even better for two little kids in car seats). ONly tme we might still consider a hotel is if we are getting close and storm might be on its way...

For a very current example, this weekend we are flying for a big extended group family trip to Mexico over Thanksgiving week (ah, sun and sand) for my parents 50th anniversary. Flight leaves 8:40 am from Logan and we are 2hr 45 minutes away. All our kids, now in their teens, wanted to just sleep a few hours in their own bed, get up, throw a blanket and pillow in the car, and leave at 3:30 in the morning...

If we lived closer, I would consider a car service, but it is a fortune from where we are
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

Anybody ever stay at Rodeway Inn in Revere? :shock:
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

Radjob4me wrote:How early is "early"? And how far are you from Logan?
7:20 domestic flight with a baggage train in tow, so I'm not comfortable arriving a moment later than 6. We're 3.5 hours away from Logan when traffic is good.
Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me »

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Radjob4me wrote:How early is "early"? And how far are you from Logan?
7:20 domestic flight with a baggage train in tow, so I'm not comfortable arriving a moment later than 6. We're 3.5 hours away from Logan when traffic is good.
Wow - yes that is a tough one. You must be far northern VT/NH or mid Maine if you are that far and going to Logan... If cheap is the goal, then maybe stay like 20-30 minutes away and drive down around 5-5:30? Otherwise, sounds like you might be stuck with the more expensive park and fly with kids of that age and that flight schedule... Probably have to chalk it up it just no good bargain this time :confused
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

Radjob4me wrote: Probably have to chalk it up it just no good bargain this time :confused
Or I can do mental accounting and subtract the cost of Economy lot at Logan from the hotel price, and tell myself I did okay.
dowse

Post by dowse »

A possible compromise may be Logan Express, in your case, from either Woburn or Peabody. They run every half-hour. Travel time is 30-45 min. I believe there are hotels within a few minutes drive of those locations. Parking is $7/day. Fares are $22 r/t for adults. Kids 17 and under traveling with their family ride free.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

Not sure if this will help because of your lengthly travel time to the airport and and flight departure time but for parking only I have used Preflight Parking in Chelsea for years and they are awesome. Reasonable rates too.

The times you are dealing with are tough and I'm not sure there is an ideal situation. Hopefully it will be an eventful free check in and flight so everyone can get some sleep on the plane.

Good luck. :sharebeer
dowse

Post by dowse »

SquawkIdent wrote:Not sure if this will help because of your lengthly travel time to the airport and and flight departure time but for parking only I have used Preflight Parking in Chelsea for years and they are awesome. Reasonable rates too.

The times you are dealing with are tough and I'm not sure there is an ideal situation. Hopefully it will be an eventful free check in and flight so everyone can get some sleep on the plane.

Good luck. :sharebeer
I've also had good experience with Preflight. I would add that if the parking choice comes down to Preflight vs. Massport Long Term Parking, I would go with Preflight. Better service and price.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

motorcyclesarecool wrote:Flying with my family to a wedding. Nearest nonstop flight is out of Logan. We plan to spend the night in a nearby hotel prior to our early morning flight. In the past, I was able to find Park, Sleep, and Fly deals at decent hotels priced equal to or less than a week in the Massport Economy lot (currently $138). Currently the best price I can find for a non-sleazy hotel in my timeframe is $189. Anybody have any creative ideas?
$189 is pretty reasonable for a hotel in Boston. I would try name your price on Priceline.

Sleazy and even marginal chain hotels in the Boston area, especially the close-in suburbs, are used as temporary long-term shelters (probably fine) and sometimes folks trafficking drugs (not so fine). So check Yelp reviews for each location.

There's a newish La Quinta at Assembly that seems ok. No idea about their park and fly rules. Probably a $20 Uber to the airport from there.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I wouldn't compare a hotel plus parking package to just parking at Logan. The lack of stress of being done with commuting in is worth the extra money. Pick any of the on-airport or East Boston hotels that have a stay/park program, double check the shuttle times and just book it. I've flown out of Logan (and Green and Manchester and even Bradley) for 30 years and every one of them is 6 of one, half dozen of the other. When flying with the kids when they were young, staying and taking a morning shuttle relieved stress more than any other choice for an early flight. The last thing we wanted was a car fire near a tunnel and a Logan Express bus stuck while our non-stop to Aruba flew off. Anything under a couple hundred dollars is a bargain.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

You didn't say where you are going. Does it make sense to give up on the non-stop flight idea and consider flying from Manchester (if you are up north), or Providence (if down south) etc? Would likely entail a connection, but timing, cost, might work out better.
coulombre

Post by coulombre »

I use Logan Express all the time. Leave the driving to them. Cheap parking inexpensive round trip tickets and kids are free IIRC.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

coulombre wrote:I use Logan Express all the time. Leave the driving to them. Cheap parking inexpensive round trip tickets and kids are free IIRC.
Logan Express is good. Runs from Braintree, Woburn, Framingham, Peabody, etc.

Here's a schedule, you can get further info from them. https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/ ... n-express/
TRC

Post by TRC »

There's a Hilton connected to the airport where you can walk to the terminal.
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

So, I ultimately decided to stay at the Four Points by Sheraton in Revere and use their park, sleep, fly package, through parksleepfly.com It was adequate.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

stayed here last summer

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/u ... SA-_-BOSPB

then GF caught a flight from Logan home. Was $100 for the night. She took Uber to Logan- pretty close so not expensive. Most hotels around Logan were much higher, not sure if this one is as affordable as it was last summer (?)

edit: saw you booked already.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

Boston / New England Bogleheads: Logan Parking / Hotel?

I've resurrected this thread to pose the question of best deal for Logan airport parking / lodging.

This time, we'll be getting away to somewhere sunny for 10 nights in February. I've booked the trip (minus 9/11 taxes) using points earned by paying estimated taxes with credit cards to earn sign on boni.

The number I want to beat for the Massport economy lot is $230 for 11 days, however, this time I want to spend two nights, the night before departure and the night after arrival. The number of options showing up on parksleepfly.com has decreased. Do any Boston area bogleheads have any leads on where I should look?
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

F150HD wrote:stayed here last summer

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/u ... SA-_-BOSPB

then GF caught a flight from Logan home. Was $100 for the night. She took Uber to Logan- pretty close so not expensive. Most hotels around Logan were much higher, not sure if this one is as affordable as it was last summer (?)

edit: saw you booked already.
I resurrected the thread to seek out leads like this. Thank you.
dowse

Post by dowse »

dowse wrote:A possible compromise may be Logan Express, in your case, from either Woburn or Peabody. They run every half-hour. Travel time is 30-45 min. I believe there are hotels within a few minutes drive of those locations. Parking is $7/day. Fares are $22 r/t for adults. Kids 17 and under traveling with their family ride free.
Reiterating my earlier post. Consider a Logan Express location that works for you. They have reasonable fares, parking rates and schedules from all of their locations. You should be able to find a good hotel deal nearby one of those.
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

dowse wrote:
dowse wrote:A possible compromise may be Logan Express, in your case, from either Woburn or Peabody. They run every half-hour. Travel time is 30-45 min. I believe there are hotels within a few minutes drive of those locations. Parking is $7/day. Fares are $22 r/t for adults. Kids 17 and under traveling with their family ride free.
Reiterating my earlier post. Consider a Logan Express location that works for you. They have reasonable fares, parking rates and schedules from all of their locations. You should be able to find a good hotel deal nearby one of those.
I admit to being intimidated by several negative Yelp! reviews referencing full parking lots and unhelpful employees at various Logan Express locations. Other reviews mention the buses filling up at terminal "A" and stopping at the other terminals only to tell customers waiting in the cold that they are SOL for another 30 minutes. Are those fears well founded?
dowse

Post by dowse »

[/quote]I admit to being intimidated by several negative Yelp! reviews referencing full parking lots and unhelpful employees at various Logan Express locations. Other reviews mention the buses filling up at terminal "A" and stopping at the other terminals only to tell customers waiting in the cold that they are SOL for another 30 minutes. Are those fears well founded?[/quote]

My experience has only been with the Braintree line, so I can't speak to the other locations. I have used it probably dozens of times. I try to avoid travelling during the highest peak times, so I probably have not experienced it at it's worst. That said, in my experience, I have never seen the parking lot full. I have seen full buses at the airport, though, so yes, that can be a concern. In my case, I have seen people stranded while I was already on the bus, but it would have been near the end of the pickups, i.e. Terminal C or E. It is something I worry about if I am arriving at Terminal E, and the backup plan I have is that if I were to be denied due to a full bus, I would take the free shuttle over to Terminal A so I could get on the next one at the first stop. I have never had to do this. While I don't doubt that a bus could fill up at Terminal A, I have to believe that it would only be under extreme circumstances with backups caused by late buses due to traffic, weather, etc. The most annoying thing about it to me is when I just miss a bus and have to wait 1/2 hour for the next one. I'm sure it's not hard to find people with horror stories. My experience with it has been very good. Maybe I've just been lucky.