Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
invst65

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by invst65 »

Nobody started it yet, so I'll go ahead and do it.

I will definitely be in this class, exactly 50 years after graduating high school in 67, unless I get lucky and get laid off with a severance package before the end of the year (which is possible since I'm training foreigners to take my job).

I just read somewhere about a study that said your first year of retirement is one of the best years of your life and your last year before retirement is one of the worst. I can attest to the latter being true and am looking forward to the former. Right now, every day is Monday.
cfs

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2017!

Post by cfs »

Outstanding.

Thanks to our shipmate invst65 for the Retirement Class of 2017.

Now we have FOUR conversations on the "Retirement Series."

For anyone not on the list, time to get onboard!

Link to Retirement Class of 2014

Link to Retirement Class of 2015

Link to Retirement Class of 2016

Good luck to the Retirement Class of 2017 !!!

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I had declared for 2017, April if memory serves, now considering just going part-time at that point (4 days a week). I have nothing to retire from except for being extremely busy and until I can find something to retire to I feel like I might as well just keep on going and going and going. But congratulations to all those for whom 2017 will start a new phase and adventure in life.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
heikejohn1

Post by heikejohn1 »

My husband would love to retire in 17, but we still don't know what to expect in health care coverage.
$200.00 or $2000.00, or anything in between. :annoyed
That is our biggest hurdle in our decision
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I am in the Class of 2016. However, upon making some noise about this impending event, my boss started tring to get me to postpone 'till end of Q1 2017, as I have a couple large projects that will be wrapping up then. Is there a 16/17 class for us fence sitters?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Just sayin... wrote:I am in the Class of 2016. However, upon making some noise about this impending event, my boss started tring to get me to postpone 'till end of Q1 2017, as I have a couple large projects that will be wrapping up then. Is there a 16/17 class for us fence sitters?
Heck I really need one for the class of 2016/2017/2018 because I could change my mind on any given day. To me the date that really matters is the date you reach Financial Independence, after that you can do what you want including retirement or continuing to work or trying a new job/career. I will take being Financially Independent and still working over being force into retirement before I am financially prepared any day.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
invst65

Post by invst65 »

TheTimeLord wrote:
Just sayin... wrote:I am in the Class of 2016. However, upon making some noise about this impending event, my boss started tring to get me to postpone 'till end of Q1 2017, as I have a couple large projects that will be wrapping up then. Is there a 16/17 class for us fence sitters?
Heck I really need one for the class of 2016/2017/2018 because I could change my mind on any given day. To me the date that really matters is the date you reach Financial Independence, after that you can do what you want including retirement or continuing to work or trying a new job/career. I will take being Financially Independent and still working over being force into retirement before I am financially prepared any day.
For the past several years, whenever anybody asked me when I was thinking about retiring I always said I wanted to work for at least two more years which felt about right (I'm 67 now). My answer started changing this year and I've been telling them "some time next year". I plan on delaying SS until 70 and I have a younger wife so it might make sense to work longer but I'm in a state of extreme mental burnout, hate my job, and sitting in front of a computer for 40 years has started taking a physical toll on my back and neck. So I've decided its times to go. I don't know if I've achieved "financial independence" but all the retirement planning programs say I'm good to go right now.

I have the month of June in 2017 when I'll turn 68 in mind but I'm not going to tell my boss that. Since they are shipping our jobs to India and laying people off, I don't want them to think they can just wait until June and not have to give me a severance package. But as of now, if I don't get laid off before June I plan on calling it quits though I guess you probably never know if you are really ready to cross that bridge until you come to it. Maybe I'll wait until something totally pisses me off at work and then quit.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I plan to retire effective September 1, 2017. I haven't put in my papers, but I've told my department chair and some of my colleagues. I have some duties that will need to be transferred to other people, so I thought about a year's notice would save me some amount of "Mandy, where do you find X? Mandy, how do you do Y?" after I retire. I don't think I'll actually have to do any work after spring semester ends in May, but September 1 will be my official retirement date.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Maybe...
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
songman52

Post by songman52 »

I plan to "graduate" with this class, also. :sharebeer
Topic Author
invst65

Post by invst65 »

Well, I guess I won't be in the class of 2017 after all. Just got laid off about an hour ago.

20 weeks severance takes me almost there but just a little short.
cfs

Post by cfs »

invst65 wrote:Well, I guess I won't be in the class of 2017 after all. Just got laid off about an hour ago.

Then welcome to the Retirement Class of 2016! Good luck in the Retiredforce !!!

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
peregrine

Post by peregrine »

My retirement date is July 31, 2017. I am already in phased retirement and am enjoying some of the benefits. An event the other day
clued me in to a potential personal finance problem in retirement. I will detail it in another post.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Isn't this Victoria's gig?

Or did she decide to pass the baton upon her retirement?

If not, isn't this like someone deciding to post "gems" without checking with Taylor first?
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Johnora

Post by Johnora »

Well my last day of work will be December 22nd, 2016, but my official retirement day will be March 1st, 2017. Riding out vacation time until then. Starting to get the retirement jitters but have a solid plan that we have worked on for years.

What to do in retirement: Watching my newest Grandson, taking care or my parents, and anything else that comes along that I really want to do!! :happy
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I had declared myself a member of the Class of 2016, but circumstances beyond my control intervened. Thus, I am re-declaring for 2017. Specifically, my last day at work will be June 30th. That will give me 18 months of COBRA (until the end of 2018) to see where the dust settles with regards to the changing landscape of the ACA - medical expenses being the single largest personal budget line-item for my wife and I. I have set my countdown calendar and eagerly look forward to the next phase of life!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

invst65 wrote:Well, I guess I won't be in the class of 2017 after all. Just got laid off about an hour ago.

I kind of envy you. I am not sure I can stand it until april of 2022.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Was going to be in the Class of 17 but worked out a deal with the boss which allows me to work three days a week and keep the benefits. Best of both worlds. Full retirement postponed until further notice.
Last edited by TravelforFun on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

invst65 wrote: I just read somewhere about a study that said your first year of retirement is one of the best years of your life and your last year before retirement is one of the worst.
Here's another way to look at it: the last year before retirement had a huge part to play in my decision to retire the following year.
:beer
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

In 2013 I was employed full-time as a union-represented broadcast tech support engineer at one of the TV networks. I was offered a buy-out, and I took it. I put in for my pension, and returned to work almost immediately as a daily-hire (25 hours/week). Between my salary and my pension I was still able to save, although at a much lower rate than before. In three weeks I will retire for real. I'll be going from accumulation mode to de-accumulation mode--the biggest change in my life in many years. I'm 63. I pay for my own health insurance through the New York State exchange. Hoping to delay SS until my FRA (66). Vanguard investor for almost 30 years!

steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
Dogbreath650

Post by Dogbreath650 »

My effective retirement date is 31 Dec 2016. Am I in the 2016 or 2017 class?

Thanks...
Johnora

Post by Johnora »

Dogbreath650 wrote:My effective retirement date is 31 Dec 2016. Am I in the 2016 or 2017 class?

Thanks...
Hell, Congratulations and join both years, nothing to lose....... :sharebeer
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Johnora wrote:
Dogbreath650 wrote:My effective retirement date is 31 Dec 2016. Am I in the 2016 or 2017 class?

Thanks...
Hell, Congratulations and join both years, nothing to lose....... :sharebeer
My effective date is also December 31 though due to the phased retirement package I was given, I actually stopped working in mid October.
Lance

Post by Lance »

My very first post. Retiring January 31, 2017 after 40+ years in the computer industry. It was a great career to me, but I'm really looking forward to the freedom.
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

New here but new new to Vanguard Investment philosophy and investing.
June 2017 will be my retirement date.
A little concern about paying health care cost.
Also, reading about retiring in Spain, Lisbon , Thailand or France .
Last edited by sil2017 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

TravelforFun wrote:Was going to be in the Class of 17 but worked out a deal with the boss which allows me to work three days a week and keep the benefits. Best of both worlds. Full retirement postponed until further notice.
Same for me. I plan to work enough hours this year to get health insurance coverage, then re-evaluate.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

wife and i are going out on October 1st/2017
Marty
puravida

Post by puravida »

December 16th, 2016. Took an early retirement / restructuring package from work and do not regret it one minute. Enjoying the time off, less stress, more golf!
Simple, passive, effective - the Bogle way...
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Punched out January 3.
:beer :happy
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Tom1320

Post by Tom1320 »

New member and first post. Just started this new life on Monday, 30-January thanks to Mr. Bogle and all the knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum. Let's hope we ALL graduate at the top of our class :beer :D .
"And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction! - Our 16th President
mrc

Post by mrc »

I'm in, graduation day is February 8th. Great to have so many classmates!
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

Plan to retire this fall at the age of 58!!!!
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

invst65 wrote:I will definitely be in this class
Congrats Invst65! I dream of the 2017 class, but now with kid #2 on the way, we're looking at either 2019 or even 2021. Ugh.... I fully understand how the last year before retirement is the worst. I think my last 5 years are working out to be equivelant to that last year. I truly look forward to being able to declare my year!
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

My last day of work is February 28, 2017.

I graduated from college in 1975, and have been working continuously for almost 42 years.

Reached critical mass a couple years ago, but just wasn't ready. Have a couple small pensions from old jobs, but mostly dependent on our retirement savings.

Some said they are concerned about health insurance. We positioned ourselves to qualify for maximum subsidy under ObamaCare. Premium is $680/year (yes, per year) for the two of us with $100/person deductible and $1,000/ person maximum out of pocket. To us, this seems like a good deal.
Topic Author
invst65

Post by invst65 »

SurferLife wrote:
invst65 wrote:I will definitely be in this class
Congrats Invst65! I dream of the 2017 class, but now with kid #2 on the way, we're looking at either 2019 or even 2021. Ugh.... I fully understand how the last year before retirement is the worst. I think my last 5 years are working out to be equivelant to that last year. I truly look forward to being able to declare my year!
Well, actually in subsequent posts I've had to announce that I surprisingly ended up in the class of 2016 although I guess I could still claim the class of 2017 since I got my last severance paycheck at the end of December.

It wasn't voluntary but I haven't looked back for a moment. Right around the time of the last paycheck I even hit my retirement number so financially things are looking fine.

The only negative thing I can report about retiring at age 67 is that all the ideas I had about how active my life was going to become, doing all the things I wanted to do when I retired ran into one slight complication - a little thing called "arthritis". It turned out to be a little more challenging to my planned active lifestyle than I thought it would be. It's nowhere near debilitating but I do find that I end up paying a surprising price in joint pain when I do the things I was planning on doing. It's caused me to take life a little slower which really isn't such a bad thing.
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

March 3, 2017 will be my last day of work. I thought I would retire 3 years ago, and kept putting it off, raising the bar, but a few weeks ago I just went in and gave notice. So glad I pulled the trigger. Bogleheads has been very helpful along the way.
iceport

Post by iceport »

April 1, 2017!

Please add my name to the 2017 Roll — if anyone is maintaining the 2017 Roll.

I've notified Human Resources, my supervisor, and his supervisor, so it must be real. My last day on the payroll will be March 31, 2017, just a month and change after turning 55.

The decision to leave this early has been much tougher than I had ever expected. I'll be taking a huge 30% hit in my pension for leaving 5 years early, and there will be 5 years' less savings. So retirement income will be significantly reduced compared to waiting until 60.

However, the opportunity cost in lost time by waiting seemed too great a price to pay. While I've enjoyed job satisfaction throughout my career, it takes more and more effort to muster enthusiasm anymore (he said on a Friday evening). Thirty years at the same place feels like just enough.

With basic expenses covered by a modest pension (about 1/3 of my final salary), and everything else covered by a combination of pre-tax, post-tax and taxable savings, the opportunity to reinvent my life just seems too good to pass up. It's time to indulge in the luxury of an early retirement, after decades of delayed gratification.

8-)
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
iceport

Post by iceport »

invst65 wrote:Well, actually in subsequent posts I've had to announce that I surprisingly ended up in the class of 2016 although I guess I could still claim the class of 2017 since I got my last severance paycheck at the end of December.

It wasn't voluntary but I haven't looked back for a moment. Right around the time of the last paycheck I even hit my retirement number so financially things are looking fine.
Glad it's working out for you!
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
mrc

Post by mrc »

LadyIJ wrote:March 3, 2017 will be my last day of work. I thought I would retire 3 years ago, and kept putting it off, raising the bar, but a few weeks ago I just went in and gave notice. So glad I pulled the trigger. Bogleheads has been very helpful along the way.
Congratulations! Bogleheads have been essential for me.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal »

I'm out on May 12th, the day I turn 50, which happens to be a Friday this year. My employer and employees all know and I can't wait until the big day. I may get involved in politics, something forbidden with my career, and I may dip my toe in the part-time employment pool at some point.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

invst65 wrote: The only negative thing I can report about retiring at age 67 is that all the ideas I had about how active my life was going to become, doing all the things I wanted to do when I retired ran into one slight complication - a little thing called "arthritis". It turned out to be a little more challenging to my planned active lifestyle than I thought it would be. It's nowhere near debilitating but I do find that I end up paying a surprising price in joint pain when I do the things I was planning on doing. It's caused me to take life a little slower which really isn't such a bad thing.
Reality bites. I had envisioned playing golf 2-3 times a week during retirement. My body can only take 1-2X a month.

For most of us, there really is a narrow window between FI and how long one can enjoy it all.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TheTimeLord wrote:I had declared for 2017, April if memory serves, now considering just going part-time at that point (4 days a week). I have nothing to retire from except for being extremely busy and until I can find something to retire to I feel like I might as well just keep on going and going and going. But congratulations to all those for whom 2017 will start a new phase and adventure in life.
After a detailed review of my next decade+ of expenses between now and Social Security it seems that while I can leave yesterday, February 1, 2018 (or beyond) would be optimum. So I am opting out of the class of 2017 (unless there is a reorg at work that alters my reporting structure). I have however started my pre-retirement fitness routine and medical check-ups as well as using taking care of some largish purchases before retirement.

"To infinity and beyond" ~ Buzz Lightyear
Fifty50

Post by Fifty50 »

I'm calling it! April 28th will be my last day at work. :beer
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

My last day at work was in the first week of January. Not sure if I'm calling it or not. I think it depends on whether or not I can get health insurance once the Cobra runs out next year.
Tom1320

Post by Tom1320 »

iceport wrote:April 1, 2017!

The decision to leave this early has been much tougher than I had ever expected. I'll be taking a huge 30% hit in my pension for leaving 5 years early, and there will be 5 years' less savings. So retirement income will be significantly reduced compared to waiting until 60.

However, the opportunity cost in lost time by waiting seemed too great a price to pay. While I've enjoyed job satisfaction throughout my career, it takes more and more effort to muster enthusiasm anymore (he said on a Friday evening). Thirty years at the same place feels like just enough.

With basic expenses covered by a modest pension (about 1/3 of my final salary), and everything else covered by a combination of pre-tax, post-tax and taxable savings, the opportunity to reinvent my life just seems too good to pass up. It's time to indulge in the luxury of an early retirement, after decades of delayed gratification.

8-)
This resonates strongly with my outlook and situation. I had 32 years at my employer and turn 55 later this year. The opportunity to discover new aspects of myself without a 9 to 5, five days a week constraint is exciting. How many good years does anyone have?

Good luck and safe travels to us all :beer .
"And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction! - Our 16th President
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

Cruise wrote:
invst65 wrote: The only negative thing I can report about retiring at age 67 is that all the ideas I had about how active my life was going to become, doing all the things I wanted to do when I retired ran into one slight complication - a little thing called "arthritis". It turned out to be a little more challenging to my planned active lifestyle than I thought it would be. It's nowhere near debilitating but I do find that I end up paying a surprising price in joint pain when I do the things I was planning on doing. It's caused me to take life a little slower which really isn't such a bad thing.
Reality bites. I had envisioned playing golf 2-3 times a week during retirement. My body can only take 1-2X a month.

For most of us, there really is a narrow window between FI and how long one can enjoy it all.
I'm right there with you. I'm not as young as I wanted to be. Darn!
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

Tom1320 wrote:
iceport wrote:April 1, 2017!

8-)
This resonates strongly with my outlook and situation. I had 32 years at my employer and turn 55 later this year. The opportunity to discover new aspects of myself without a 9 to 5, five days a week constraint is exciting. How many good years does anyone have?

Good luck and safe travels to us all :beer .
ditto, ditto - 30 years. A long time. Here's to us and our new lives!
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

cinghiale wrote:Isn't this Victoria's gig?

Or did she decide to pass the baton upon her retirement?

If not, isn't this like someone deciding to post "gems" without checking with Taylor first?
+1, I'm afraid of Victoria :shock:
Whiggish Boffin

Post by Whiggish Boffin »

On April Fools' Day i will become a gentleman of leisure. I gave notice today.

-Will do good- and -cinghiale- :
At the DC Area Diehards meeting last September, Victoria said she is happy to pass this baton. These days, I gather she's more interested in getting people to walk the Camino de Santiago.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Whiggish Boffin,
Thanks for the update. For me, it was just a matter of courtesy to check in with Victoria on this.
And congratulations on your upcoming retirement! I'm a happy member of the Class of 2015.
Will do good,
Nothing to fear. Victoria is quite wonderful. How can you be a pilgrim on the Camino and not be?
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell