Expensive dry cleaning in Boston area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
imyeti2

Expensive dry cleaning in Boston area

Post by imyeti2 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Just moved to the greater Boston area and called several dry cleaners

Laundered shirt - $2.5 :shock:
Dry clean trousers - $8 :shock: :shock:

What do Bogleheads do for a laundered shirt with some starch? For decent wool pants or khakis, I'd probably buy another pair for the price of 5-6 dry cleanings ...

Other than doing my own laundry on "Delicate" washing, any other thoughts on getting decent outcomes on the cheap? Thanks.

Yeti

Stonebr

Re: Expensive dry cleaning in Boston area

Post by Stonebr » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:40 pm

I lived in Boston for many years. I did my own shirts. I figured that after adjusting for taxes paid and unpaid, I was making more by ironing my own shirts than I was at my job. Like Andrew Tobias once said, "A penny saved is two pennies earned."

Later I bought the all cotton no-iron shirts at Brooks Brothers. They were expensive, but saved a bundle of work.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:24 am

Have you tried Dry Cleaner Secret? I think that's what it's called. It's a bag that you put your clothes into along with a moist sheet. You put that in the dryer. I have no personal experience with it.

Perhaps there are places that will do package deals (e.g. $X a month for unlimited number of pieces)?

By the way, as I'm sure you're learning, Boston is very expensive in many more ways than dry cleaning!
Stonebr wrote:Later I bought the all cotton no-iron shirts at Brooks Brothers. They were expensive, but saved a bundle of work.
Interesting, my husband bought those too, and they often come out more wrinkled than the "regular" cotton shirts. What wash and dry settings do you use?

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:49 am

sawhorse wrote: Interesting, my husband bought those too, and they often come out more wrinkled than the "regular" cotton shirts. What wash and dry settings do you use?
I get the best results with these by washing the shirts by themselves. DO NOT wash them with "heavy" items like bath towels or pants and do not fill the machine to capacity with clothes. Put them in the dryer immediately after the washer is done and get one of those anti-wrinkle balls for the dryer. Also hang up promptly when the dryer is done, otherwise they will wrinkle.

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:35 am

No-iron shirts from Brooks Brothers (and anywhere else, but I've had more trouble with the Brooks ones) have a much shorter lifespan than conventional shirts. The no-iron process damages the cotton fibers, particularly on the crases. That's where the first small holes will appear. Of course, I mean after a year or two, not "immediately".

Of course Boston has a higher cost of living than where you were before. Did you look into that before making the decision to move? Aren't wages higher there too?

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:51 am

crefwatch wrote:Of course Boston has a higher cost of living than where you were before. Did you look into that before making the decision to move? Aren't wages higher there too?
Depends on the job. On average yes but not enough to offset the increased cost of living. Rent in particular is super high.