Favorite Coffee

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RoadHouseFan

Favorite Coffee

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Ours is Dunkin' Donuts - original blend or hazelnut.
BW1985

Re: Favorite Coffee

Post by BW1985 »

Chameleon cold brew
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

Whatever yummy single-geographical origin coffee the grocery store has on sale. Put coffee grounds in a paper filter in a plastic cone on top of a mug. Slowly pour hot but not boiling water out of a kettle over it. Drink black with breakfast.

I don't bother doing the math on how much more I'd spend if I bought coffee out. :sharebeer
Last edited by Rainmaker41 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85% Global Stock, 15% US Fixed Income
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Kirkland Colombian Supremo (from Costco)

Thrifty Bogleheads take note: this coffee is finely ground, dark, and strong. You can use less scoops per pot than most other coffees and save $$$.

Oh yeah, it's delicious, too :D
Last edited by El Greco on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

In a French press, two scopes of Dallmayer prodoma (100% Arabica) with one scope of New Orleans's French Market Coffee and Chicory. Add boiling water, wait 3-4 minutes then push down the press.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I buy any ground Colombian coffee that's on sale. The only one that I've really objected to has been Chock Full O' Nuts which seemed to be pretty tasteless no matter how strong I made it.

[Pedantic note, Colombia is the country that produces coffee. Columbia is the university and city in South Carolina.]
Sarah
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Aldis house blend.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Peet's Major Dickason's Blend course grind in a French Press. My daily morning wake me up.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

I like Folgers Black Silk. Been thinking about using Cafe Altura Organic Dark Roast again to avoid all of the chemicals. I've read that coffee is one of the most chemically treated crops in the world. It would be nice to know just how much of that makes it into my sometimes 5 cups per day.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

The one I roast myself. Right now it's a Rwanda Kivu Kanzu, before that was Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca Rosma. I buy the unroasted (green) beans from a California-based distributor who purchases them directly from the farmers.

Pluses: Rather inexpensive coffee (Average $5/lb) that is fresher and tastes better than almost anything I can get at a store or coffee shop. Always roasted exactly to my taste, as appropriate to the cultivar.

Minuses: Up-front expense and learning curve (well past both now), involves some work. Completely ruins you for drinking lesser coffee. But I guess in a way that saves money too. :mrgreen:
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

I really find Trader Joe's French Roast (the pre-ground version in bags) to be a great coffee, at a great price.

$3.99 per bag.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

A freshly roasted Jamaican Blue Mountain. Peet's Major Dickinson, which can be bought at a heavy discount at Costco, is also good. Best when brewed in Aeropress. Will also use a Black & Decker single cup auto brewer when pressed for time.
Since ER my morning cup of coffee has become something I really look forward to.
Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Any recommendations for a low-acid coffee?
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Community Coffee dark roast - the lowest prices are generally mail order, often 20% less than Amazon.

Aldi's German Roasted Coffee, Medium Roast $4.99/ 0.5 kg.
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

Organic is a must. Anything I put into my body on a daily basis better be organic... except beer.
My choice is the most flavorful inexpensive organic ground coffee that I can find anywhere, and it's available from Costco online:

San Francisco Bay Organic Rain Forest Blend
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

San Francisco Bay French Roast Whole Bean Coffee from Costco

http://www.costco.com/San-Francisco-Bay ... 39943.html
matjen

Post by matjen »

lazydavid wrote: Pluses: Rather inexpensive coffee (Average $5/lb) that is fresher and tastes better than almost anything I can get at a store or coffee shop. Always roasted exactly to my taste, as appropriate to the cultivar.
It should be noted that unroasted green beans weigh much more than already roasted beans so not exactly apples to apples on the price per pound.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Demel K. & K. Hofzuckerbäckerei, Großer Brauner, Wein, Österreich.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

Peet's Major Dickason (a dark roast), sometimes Trader Joe's Kenyan AA (a lighter roast)
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Folger's / Butternut at home. If I'm wild, mix in a little hazelnut.

On the road, use a thermos, when that runs out, McDonald's.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Medaglia Oro ground Italian espresso in a can. Super cheep at under five bucks for a 10 oz can. Run through a proper espresso machine - two double espressos every morning. I have found an espresso machine is super-efficient in extracting the maximum caffeine buzz per quantity of coffee used. Four small scoops of espresso coffee can yield either two awesome foamy double espressos or barely a quarter pot of weakass drip coffee. The choice is clear.

Drip coffee is too weak. I only drink it when there is no other option.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Has to be the in-room Blue Mountain coffee at my favorite vacation resort in Jamaica.
:happy

One of the best parts of vacation is waking up, making a couple of cups of Blue Mountain coffee, and sitting with a cup on the balcony watching the morning surf. Zoning out thinking about it.... (Zzzzzzzzzzz...)
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Greenwell Farms, Full City Roast.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
peppers

Post by peppers »

Free !
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
jdb

Post by jdb »

Ground expresso in French Press. It offends my wife's coffee sensibilities as she makes her expresso in old fashioned stove top Italian expresso maker. But I drink it like regular coffee. Only in the morning. Strong and good. Buy it from local farmer's market where Jamaican vendor supposedly sources from local roaster. By the way, the grounds are great fertilizer for Vanda orchids.
Last edited by jdb on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

There are two coffees that I drink repeatedly:

1. CoffeeBeanDirect.com Organic SWP Decaf City Roast Mexican
http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/coffee/ ... xican.html

2. Coffeeam.com Organic Decaf SWP Peru Coffee
https://www.coffeeam.com/organic-decaf- ... offee.html

Both are Swiss water process decaffeinated (but done in Vancouver, B.C.)

Most of it cold brew.
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furikake

Post by furikake »

Whatever I roast at home. :D
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Freshly roasted (about 2 day old) Sumatran brewed in an aeropresss. Love the chocolatey flavor.

Best cup of coffee was a $7 Kenyan I had at a very hip coffee bar in Lancaster pa. I highly doubted that any coffee could be worth 7 dollars a cup but the fragrance of blueberries and the beautifully balanced acidily still lingers after 2 years.
PandaBear

Post by PandaBear »

I buy dark roasted coffee for espresso from CasaCurry, a small online boutique store. I've visited their facilities/farm and I'm familiar with the way they process their coffee.

That said, I don't drink coffee, it's all for my wife. Personally, I'm a tea man like Mr. Teatime.
Eurookat

Post by Eurookat »

Hands down Jamaican Blue Mountain. I wish they came in kcups.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Another vote for Jamaican Blue Mountain.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Starbucks sumatra. Brewed at home only though. Too strong for my taste buds in store. Easy on my acid reflux as it's a low acidity coffee.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

lazydavid wrote:The one I roast myself. Right now it's a Rwanda Kivu Kanzu, before that was Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca Rosma. I buy the unroasted (green) beans from a California-based distributor who purchases them directly from the farmers.

Pluses: Rather inexpensive coffee (Average $5/lb) that is fresher and tastes better than almost anything I can get at a store or coffee shop. Always roasted exactly to my taste, as appropriate to the cultivar.

Minuses: Up-front expense and learning curve (well past both now), involves some work. Completely ruins you for drinking lesser coffee. But I guess in a way that saves money too. :mrgreen:
I considered getting into this, but there's a local store that roasts Sumatra in a way that I like. After a year or two, maybe I could learn to match it, but I'm more like your UserName than you are :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.

Post by 123 »

The last good cup of coffee (with a cookie) I had was free from my local local Savings & Loan when I last visited them in the 1980's. They went out of business and then Starbucks seemed to have take over. Would Starbucks have risen to their current position if the S&L's were still around offering free coffee (and a cookie) for just walking in the door? The S&L's usually they had a free copy of the Wall Street Journal to browse as well from a chair in the lobby.

Those were the days.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Maxwell House.
All the Best, | Joe
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sdotsen wrote:Hands down Jamaican Blue Mountain. I wish they came in kcups.
Where do you get Jamaican Blue Mountain and how much does it cost?

Todd Carmichael, he owner of La Columbe Coffee has (had?) a TV show called Dangerous Grounds. It was a travelogue of his search for exotic coffees for his business to sell. It was a very interesting show even if it was largely a sales pitch for his company.

On one show he went to Jamaica to hunt down a supplier for Jamaican Blue Mountain. Unlike most of his shows where you could order from his company whatever it was he found, he chose NOT to sell JBM because it was so expensive he felt he could not make any money with it even though he was in the boutique coffee business. My memory is bad on this but I think he said he would need to charge $100 per pound. He said that Jamaica did not produce enough JBM to remotely supply the amount of "JBM" for sale on store shelves.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I've been roasting my own since April 2003. This week it's Kenya Nyeri Othaya peaberry! I never buy preroasted beans, only green.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Peet's French Roast, yes even here in NC. :D

We buy the whole bean version, storing the bag in the freezer, and then grind it each morning, which makes the house smell great. We brew it in a Bund brewer in a thermal carafe without a heating plate, so no burnt coffee.

We used to do the French press thing but read somewhere that mysteriously, it (has) worsened cholesterol levels, so we let it go. It's still the backup once every 2-3 weeks when we don't want to brew a full pot.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

matjen wrote:
lazydavid wrote: Pluses: Rather inexpensive coffee (Average $5/lb) that is fresher and tastes better than almost anything I can get at a store or coffee shop. Always roasted exactly to my taste, as appropriate to the cultivar.
It should be noted that unroasted green beans weigh much more than already roasted beans so not exactly apples to apples on the price per pound.
It depends on what your definition of "much more" is. There's about a 20% loss in weight when roasting coffee, i.e. one pound of green yields 0.8 pound of roasted. I've been home-roasting for 13 years and I've tested it. So green beans weigh about 25% more than roasted beans of the same batch.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

Locally roasted Costa Rican beans delivered to my door every two weeks, hand ground with Hario Skerton ceramic burr grinder, for one large cup from an Aero Press each day.
Tyler9000 wrote:Any recommendations for a low-acid coffee?
You may want to read up on the Aero Press. It is claimed that the process results in a much lower acid level in the final product.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

Another vote for Peet's Major Dickasons.

When it is on sale, I usually get Dunkin Dark. It makes a good cold brew, too.

Thanks for the suggestion on Blue Mountain, will look for that next.
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

Small farm grown on Volcan' San Pedro on Lago De Atitlan',Guatamala
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Tyler9000,

If you cold brew your coffee, it will be low acid. It is a function of the brewing process. Not the coffee itself.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ecret.html

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
2muchfun

Post by 2muchfun »

Eight O'clock Dark Italian Espresso! We buy it when it's BOGO at Publix.
Last edited by 2muchfun on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Beck49 wrote:Locally roasted Costa Rican beans delivered to my door every two weeks, hand ground with Hario Skerton ceramic burr grinder, for one large cup from an Aero Press each day.
You may want to read up on the Aero Press. It is claimed that the process results in a much lower acid level in the final product.
Beck49,

I do not think so. I brew my coffee with both methods: cold brew and Aeropress.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

matjen wrote:
Losses are about 16%, so I wouldn't use the adjective "much" there, though they are lighter (and larger) after roasting. 230 grams unroasted will wind up at around 195 grams (+/-5g) after roasting, depending on the cultivar and the darkness of the roast. However, the distributor is somewhat generous with their weights, so I tend to get about 42 230g batches on average out of a 20lb bag, when I should get less than 40. So it mostly comes out in the wash.

But you're right, I could conceivably be paying as much as $5.50-6/lb after weight loss is accounted for. Still a third or less than what I'd pay for some top-quality beans from Intelligentsia, and half of what Costco charges.
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

San Francisco Bay-Organic Rainforest Blend beans @ Costco. Rogers family owned company.Super nice!
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

illy Medium Roast - very good!
james469

Post by james469 »

Philharmonic from Philz Coffee is hands down the best coffee I've ever had.
Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

KlangFool wrote:
Tyler9000,

If you cold brew your coffee, it will be low acid. It is a function of the brewing process. Not the coffee itself.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ecret.html

KlangFool
Thanks! I'll have to try that.