Short Term Cash Investment

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
nickeld

Short Term Cash Investment

Post by nickeld »

What are some good options for storing a large chunk of short term cash (will be needed within 1 year)? Right now it is an Ally checking account which on a relative basis versus CD's and such earns a pretty decent yield. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Harpoon1

Re: Short Term Cash Investment

Post by Harpoon1 »

nickeld wrote:What are some good options for storing a large chunk of short term cash (will be needed within 1 year)? Right now it is an Ally checking account which on a relative basis versus CD's and such earns a pretty decent yield. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Not sure if you meant "savings" account instead of "checking" account but, needing it within a year, an online saving account paying 1.0% or so, is the best option available right now!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Ally savings account at 1% is as good as it gets.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Toons

Post by Toons »

Others might disagree,
As there is risk of principal loss,but
I would feel comfortable with
Vanguard Short Term Investment Grade.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

I'm using Ally Savings @ 1%.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Topic Author
nickeld

Post by nickeld »

Harpoon1 wrote:
nickeld wrote:What are some good options for storing a large chunk of short term cash (will be needed within 1 year)? Right now it is an Ally checking account which on a relative basis versus CD's and such earns a pretty decent yield. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Not sure if you meant "savings" account instead of "checking" account but, needing it within a year, an online saving account paying 1.0% or so, is the best option available right now!
No, it's an interest checking account yielding .6% annually
Topic Author
nickeld

Post by nickeld »

Thanks everyone, confirmed my hunch
rbaldini

Post by rbaldini »

A thought: suppose you need 50k next year, and you have, say, 300k in stock and bond funds. What's the probability that, next year, you won't be able to access this 50k from these funds? The value of the funds would have to drop 83% in a year, which I believe is unprecedented. Obviously this is a contrived example, but the point is: depending on how much money you already have, you may not really need to park the money in a separate account (although that is certainly the safest route). This is how I'm handling my future house down payment.
Topic Author
nickeld

Post by nickeld »

Toons wrote:Others might disagree,
As there is risk of principal loss,but
I would feel comfortable with
Vanguard Short Term Investment Grade.
:happy
Thanks, I might think about a portion in short term bonds
FishinGeek

Post by FishinGeek »

I am using Goldman Sachs Bank (GS Bank) for parking cash, online savings account 1.05%.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

rbaldini wrote:A thought: suppose you need 50k next year, and you have, say, 300k in stock and bond funds. What's the probability that, next year, you won't be able to access this 50k from these funds? The value of the funds would have to drop 83% in a year, which I believe is unprecedented. Obviously this is a contrived example, but the point is: depending on how much money you already have, you may not really need to park the money in a separate account (although that is certainly the safest route). This is how I'm handling my future house down payment.
Complicated by tax advantaged accounts. Still if you had $100k in taxable in equities then there is probably no need to keep a separate stash in a 1% account. If it drops to $50k and you need it then you sell and swap bonds for equities in tax advantaged. Assuming you have enough bonds.
Harpoon1

Post by Harpoon1 »

nickeld wrote:
Harpoon1 wrote:
Ok, then I gotta ask why the checking and not the savings account, that pays 1.0%?

I have both accounts at Ally, and keep 99% of the money in savings, and with one "click" it's transferred and immediately available in the checking account.
AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 »

Jake Hogan wrote:I am using Goldman Sachs Bank (GS Bank) for parking cash, online savings account 1.05%.
Ditto, anyway it's fun to say "our money at Goldman Sachs".
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

You can get a bit more than 1% on a on line savings account. With a large amount of money at stake it might be worth it to look. I suggest depositaccounts.com. Look at Savings and bank promotions.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Dandy wrote:You can get a bit more than 1% on a on line savings account. With a large amount of money at stake it might be worth it to look. I suggest depositaccounts.com. Look at Savings and bank promotions.
Ally is nice - but you can get 1.26% APY at Popular Direct (Banco Populars online bank). Or you can get a 1 yr CD from them at 1.3%. Peruse the depositaccounts.com website to verify there isn't anything higher at the moment.
BH contests: 2020 #253 of 664 | 19 #233 of 645 | 18 #150 of 493 | 17 #516 of 647 | 16 #121 of 610 | 15 #18 of 552 | 14 #225 of 503 | 13 #383 of 433 | 12 #366 of 410 | 11 #113 of 369 | 10 #53 of 282
Topic Author
nickeld

Post by nickeld »

Harpoon1 wrote:
nickeld wrote:
Harpoon1 wrote:
Ok, then I gotta ask why the checking and not the savings account, that pays 1.0%?

I have both accounts at Ally, and keep 99% of the money in savings, and with one "click" it's transferred and immediately available in the checking account.
Yeah, I probably should open the savings account too