What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
madbrain

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by madbrain »

amateurnovice wrote:
Nicolas wrote:Joy (2015) Jennifer Lawrence, Robt. De Niro. Mildly interesting. Glad I didn't pay to see it. Just OK. But I will say this: My wife is going to buy that mop!
Concur with this. I like David O. Russell films but his partnership with Lawrence seems to have run its course.
I rented it a few months ago, and thought it was quite well done. But no, I still wouldn't buy that mop.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Saw 3 movies this week-end.

"Don't breathe". Very forgettable movie about a robbery gone bad, that somehow managed to get #1 at the box office. My recommendation : "Don't watch".

"Hell or high water". Highly entertaining movie about a robbery gone bad. Jeff Bridges is great. The dialogues are hilarious. This is the one that should be #1 at the box office, IMO, but it's only playing in a few theaters.

"Best of enemies". A documentary about the rivalry between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal. I rented the Blu-ray. This is very well done. I had a personal interest in finally seeing this, as the filmmakers very unexpectedly approached me and licensed the music from one of my Youtube videos a couple years ago for a short portion of the soundtrack. It was only in theaters very shortly a year ago, and I missed it. One of my Bach interpretations on harpsichord is briefly heard over video footage of William F. Buckley at the keyboard. It is a delicious irony for me, as a gay man, to represent this very conservative and anti-gay figure with my playing.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Valuethinker wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Deadpool. An R-rated dark comedy parody of the previous Marvel character movies. It has everything you'd expect from a Marvel movie, including a ton of action scenes. It kept me interested, but I wasn't impressed.
Marvel is anxious to grab hold of an older demographic for its MCU films (Marvel Comics Universe). Deadpool appeals to a male, politically incorrect audience. Generally it feels out of character with the general thrust of MCU.*

* MCU by its nature is lighter hearted than the equivalent DC universe.
Nah, it's MCU edgy all the way. From Iron Man's chemical dependency to discrimination against mutants and how they handle it, to Phoenix's dark side and what to do when a loved one turns ...Hulk's inability at self control ... and Spider Man introduced drugs to comics where previously drug use was not allowed by the "comic code" that publishers followed on content (even if it was a negative portrayal).

Granted DC was often bleaker and Batman especially so. Still, Marvel characters often struggled, and painfully so.

Anyway Deadpool is completely consistent with Marvel heritage ... his upside of wit and unyielding cause him real pain. His abilities (and disfigurement) set him apart from those he'd like to be accepted by. It's 100% consistent with Marvel as I know it from about three years (5th-7th grade) all of my money from two paper routes going into every Marvel comic I could buy (especially the back issues as wildly inflated prices). Maybe they had other eras where characters were different but Deadpool (who wasn't around then) certainly is consistent with the Marvel that I know.

When your differences cause un-acceptance, you know, what are you going to do? Sometimes you can find that acceptance and sometimes you can't. Anyway, the moral question was on the acceptability of violence. That is what was being asked. The taxi driver's abduction of the rival ... colossus speech on being a hero ... the ten bullets and how they are used/misused ... the dilemma on whether it's ok for him to use violence on a lady or sexist not to ...the question is there if you want to think about it ... but the answer is that love wins ... it's as irrepressible as Deadpool's spirit.

Of course Marvel likes to ask "what happens when an irresistible force meets an immoveable object". I await the next film. Just remember ... deadpool's not a hero by Marvel's and his own definition. Except that he is. And that's Marvel. Inherently contradictory so as to provoke social consciousness of different views. It's been that way since liberal student but law abiding hero Spider Man got in the middle of violent student protests in the 60's. Oh what to do ....

So run along and find the time to make a heart and feel love in your most challenging moment and you can be a hero like Deadpool too. Except he's not really a hero in his sweetheart's eyes ... cussing him out!!!
telemark

Post by telemark »

The Bridge Over the River Kwai, with Obi-wan Kenobi facing off against the Empire of the Sun.

I can't believe this has been on Netflix for who knows how long and Netflix never told me. Why didn't they tell me? Anyway, it goes away at the end of August so you'll need to watch fast.
TOJ

Post by TOJ »

Remember, which is free on Amazon prime. Loved it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Little Shop of Horrors, the original B&W 1960 version and is free through Amazon Prime.

I had watched the Rick Moranis verison from 1986 and was curious what they adapted this version from. I'm not sure I'd watch the 1960 version on its own, but to compare it to the later version is interesting.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
njboater74

Post by njboater74 »

Just watched Back to the Future...Biff is disturbingly evil.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world - 'No, YOU move'--Captain America, Boglehead
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Captain Fantastic, very good
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 »

Hell or High Water is the best movie I have watched in a long time
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

Hell or HIgh Water!!!!!!!! Great movie, good acting.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

madbrain wrote:
"Don't breathe". Very forgettable movie about a robbery gone bad, that somehow managed to get #1 at the box office. My recommendation : "Don't watch".
i just got back from "don't breathe" and it kept my interest all 90 minutes. currently 7.9/10 on IMDB; i wouldn't rate it that high but certainly higher than "don't watch". i'm not going to mention any spoilers, but i'll say that's there's more than just a simple robbery here with a twist that i didn't see coming.

i'll go to the sequel.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

miles monroe wrote:
madbrain wrote:
i just got back from "don't breathe" and it kept my interest all 90 minutes. currently 7.9/10 on IMDB; i wouldn't rate it that high but certainly higher than "don't watch". i'm not going to mention any spoilers, but i'll say that's there's more than just a simple robbery here with a twist that i didn't see coming.

i'll go to the sequel.
It kept my interest, but I was unable to suspend disbelief, there were so many incredible situations that should normally have ended the movie, particularly about one of the characters. I was glad that it was only 88mins.

Happiest part of the evening was when I was asked for my ID at the box office because it's an R movie. I just turned 40 ;)
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

Great: Another vote for Hell or High Water (is that 7 or 8 now?), best I've seen in a while. If you like the Coen brothers I think you will love it.
Good: Eye In The Sky
Poor: Hunt For the Wilderpeople, despite good reviews - like a bad Wes Anderson movie, just too "cute".
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Man Who Knew Infinity

Fascinating story of Indian mathematics genius
Srinivasa Ramanujan who come to Cambridge under
the sponsorship of Professor H.G. Hardy during
the World War I era. 8/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Just watched this classic sci-fi by Ursula Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven. You could find it on youtube, VHS quality.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081036/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

I looked at it from a Taoist view but I'm sure many interpretation applies.
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Going to see a new film called " Little Men " soon which is supposed to be very good, set in Brooklyn. Plan to see it fairly soon. Just came out.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I watched The Big Short on Netflix last night. I thought it was pretty good. I didn't read the book, though, so I have no basis for comparison.
Gordon
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

I would've liked to have seen the one referenced above, "The Man Who Knew Infinity" but didn't find it playing. I saw "Little Men" and thought it really excellent. A real 'slice of life' movie very thoughtfully done with great acting.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Just watched the Documentary "HolyHell". Wow. Pretty courageous people that told their stories, is all I can say. Should be required viewing.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Finest Hours, story from Michael J. Tougias, who spent years researching and writing the definitive account of the Coast Guard's greatest small-boat rescue, he said the movie got it right.

Spotlight, with Michael Keaton, excellent movie.

Underground: The Julian Assange Story, early life story, how true any of it is, I don't know.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

htdrag11 wrote:Just watched this classic sci-fi by Ursula Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven. You could find it on youtube, VHS quality.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081036/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

I looked at it from a Taoist view but I'm sure many interpretation applies.
In one of my courses, I assign Le Guin's translation of the Dao de Jing. I always liked Left Hand of Darkness, never made into a movie, but I think she would have a different selection. Maybe I should look at Lathe now that I am no longer young . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/books ... .html?_r=0

Vic
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Tonight, on Netflix, I watched Jane Got a Gun, directed by Gavin O'Connor and starring Natalie Portman, Joel Edgerton, Noah Emmerich, Ewan McGregor, Rodrigo Santoro, Boyd Holbrook, Alex Manette, Jame Burnett, Sam Quinn, and Todd Stashwick.

I thought this was very good, if somewhat violent. Natalie Portman is as good and luminous as ever, Joel Edgerton looks like a younger Kurt Russell to me, and I didn't recognize Ewan McGregor.
Gordon
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Hell or High Water.
Terrific.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Tinker, Taylor, Solider, Spy" on Netflix. Ugh! Gave it one star.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

TOJ wrote:Remember, which is free on Amazon prime. Loved it.
:thumbsup
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

sixtyforty wrote:Just watched the Documentary "HolyHell". Wow. Pretty courageous people that told their stories, is all I can say. Should be required viewing.
Saw it too. Pretty Stupid people to follow that Character.
All the Best, | Joe
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

joe8d wrote:
sixtyforty wrote:Just watched the Documentary "HolyHell". Wow. Pretty courageous people that told their stories, is all I can say. Should be required viewing.
Saw it too. Pretty Stupid people to follow that Character.
They weren't stupid. Thats the scary part. Low self-esteem and vulnerable, maybe.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I saw the new Jason Bourne movie this weekend. It was very disappointing. I really liked the first 3 movies but this one is simply a rehash of previous JB movies using different characters and scenes, but patterned after the originals. But these were poorly done. One of the best action scenes from the previous JB movies was the car chase between JB and the Russian assassin in Moscow. This movie has a rehash of that in LV that is far less suspenseful and poorly done. I would rather watch one of the first 3 JB movies again than waste my time and money on the latest JB movie. It is past time that they retired JB or come up with some fresh and plausible plots.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

carolinaman wrote:I saw the new Jason Bourne movie this weekend. It was very disappointing. I really liked the first 3 movies but this one is simply a rehash of previous JB movies using different characters and scenes, but patterned after the originals. But these were poorly done. One of the best action scenes from the previous JB movies was the car chase between JB and the Russian assassin in Moscow. This movie has a rehash of that in LV that is far less suspenseful and poorly done. I would rather watch one of the first 3 JB movies again than waste my time and money on the latest JB movie. It is past time that they retired JB or come up with some fresh and plausible plots.
Agree. It was by a huge margin the worst of the Damon Bourne movies. Extremely predictable, I knew exactly what was going to happen within a few minutes. I even found myself wanting it to just be over about 30min in.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Silver Streak with Gene Wilder, Jill Clayburgh, and Richard Pyror.

My favorite Gene Wilder comedy.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

[quote="wilson08"]"The Man Who Knew Infinity"

Another vote for this movie. Good summer viewing with a true story as a basis.
Wife liked it too. No violence, nudity, foul language or sexual grossness.
Dan999
Dan999
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Dan999 wrote:
wilson08 wrote:"The Man Who Knew Infinity"

Another vote for this movie. Good summer viewing with a true story as a basis.
Wife liked it too. No violence, nudity, foul language or sexual grossness.
Dan999
Watched this last night. Loved it! How come I have never heard this history of Srinivasa Ramunujanstory before. Watch this movie and learn something valuable.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Second Best Exotic Marigold
Hotel

Continuing saga about a group of British retirees in India that
have taken up residence in a restored hotel. Not bad but the
multiple stories within the story are scattered and humdrum.
Instead of this I would recommend the original from 2011:
"The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel".
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Philomena, with Judi Dench
5*
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Wiener-Dog

A dachshund enters the lives of several different people. The
premise was intriguing and this could have been a delightful
movie but the characters were so bizarre and dysfunctional
and the humor so twisted and tasteless(not to mention the
horrible ending) that even the cute dog could not save this
movie.
Except for a bag of popcorn this was an ill-spent 1 1/2 hours
at the theatre. 2/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Now You See me, Now You don't 2". The first one was interesting, until the terrible ending. This one was terrible all the way through. Some of the scenes were mind-blowingly silly.
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Point Break (2015). The original was good. This remake was awful. We turned it off halfway through due to its political agenda.
black jack

Post by black jack »

soboggled wrote:Great: Another vote for Hell or High Water (is that 7 or 8 now?), best I've seen in a while. If you like the Coen brothers I think you will love it.
Just saw Hell or High Water; agree it is good, and while overall it didn't make me think of the Coen brothers, it certainly did in a couple of places (related to a line in the movie, "Man, these concealed carry laws sure complicate robbing banks.")
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Huntsman: Winter's War, on Blu-ray DVD. It's a prequel to Snow White. It kept me interested and was somewhat entertaining. Not bad.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

LadyGeek wrote:The Huntsman: Winter's War, on Blu-ray DVD. It's a prequel to Snow White. It kept me interested and was somewhat entertaining. Not bad.
I saw them both also but bought the Snow White version.

Another one I will buy (very few BR in my collection) is Kubo and The Two Strings. For those who enjoy cartoon or anime, this one is a keeper. As always, it has a great story line. The Monkey and the Beetle have some great dialogues too. Travis Knight is the director who is the Laika president/ceo whose other works include Paranorman, Coraline and Boxtrolls.

It is the best film of 2016, IMO, better than Jungle Book and Finding Dory.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

money monster with george clooney playing the role of jim kramer. well worth the buck and a half red box rental.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I recently rewatched The Big Lebowski and I forgot how much I loved that movie.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

Sully. Pretty good but makes me want to check out how close they stuck to the facts and how much was just Hollywood.
PS: People either love or hate Money Monster. I hated it.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

MrNewEngland wrote:I recently rewatched The Big Lebowski and I forgot how much I loved that movie.
Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man.

(Mine too!)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Where to Invade Next by Michael Moore. I highly recommend everyone watch this movie, a real eye-opener and funny too.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

soboggled wrote:Sully. Pretty good but makes me want to check out how close they stuck to the facts and how much was just Hollywood.
PS: People either love or hate Money Monster. I hated it.
DW and I went to see Sully. Was entertaining but not completely factual. The NTSB team was portrayed as out to hang the pilots which is just not the way they work and the deviation from that actual investigative process were made to increase the drama and conflict. Clint Eastwood justified this by saying that the film was based on the perceptions of the pilots that the NTSB was looking for pilot error. And of course the NTSB was looking for pilot error and all other possible causes for the incident. That's not to say that the pilots wouldn't have the perception that the NTSB or USAir was out to get them.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

Hell or High Water - highly recommended! Chris Pine can do more than pilot the Enterprise. Jeff Bridges was great. Great dialog and you will learn a lot of not recommended, non-PC insults. I could watch it again....great ending.

Just rented an older Swedish movie, "A Somewhat Gentle Man" with Stellan Skarsgard. An off beat sort of comedy that was very amusing..probably not for the kids...off beat ending but it made me smile...I could almost consider buying....
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

central intelligence at the dollar theater. funny if ya like dumb movies.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, free on Amazon Prime. This is the 5th movie in the series. I liked the first of this series, but skipped the ones in-between. It's entertaining, not bad.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Defiance, 2008. Netflix. 4*. Men and women fight for their lives and humanity against the Nazi and Soviets.
Jane Got a Gun, 2014, Netflix, 3.0*. A Weinberg film. Natalie Portman stars and produces show. A hero saves a heroine in the scrub country.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo