What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
madbrain

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by madbrain »

I just came back from seeing Indignation, an adaptation of a Philip Roth novel, an author I have never read.

This is by far the best movie I have seen all year. I really loved those irreverent scenes with the dean. Again, a movie that hits close to home for me, being a secular Jew. If I hadn't managed to get thrown out of my high school after some uncomfortable conversations with the principal, and had gone on to college, I would surely have ended up in that kind of situation. The character of Mrs Hutton was great and quite relatable, too. I'm very glad I didn't grow up in the 1950s. Life is just too short to put up with the prudes.

This is fiction at its best. If this had been a real-life story, it would have surely been forgotten, so one just had to invent it. You really can make this stuff up, and I'm so glad it was written and made.
sco

Post by sco »

I watched Sausage Party this weekend.

It was exactly what I expected, One and a half hours of cursing and food doing funny things :)
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Road House. It's a timeless classic.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

RoadHouseFan wrote:Road House. It's a timeless classic.
Welcome to the forum. So, you're a Road House fan who might be on Facebook. :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

Valuethinker wrote:
Non7WoodUser wrote:No Escape. It's an accurate reminder of the realities of foreign travel. It confirmed that our decision to not renew our passports was the correct one.

Good grief. I apologize if I am missing an intended irony, but really?

It's really sad that an American, thinks that the rest of the world is an unsafe place to visit.
What do you mean? Those Canadians, British and Italians are really dangerous! Just look at their murder rates! And don't get me started on the Greeks and French.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

soboggled wrote:What do you mean? Those Canadians, British and Italians are really dangerous! Just look at their murder rates! And don't get me started on the Greeks and French.
Especially the British!

I recently got very interested their TV murder mystery shows. One review said that there are more murders in rural England than there are haystacks. They pile up bodies like cord wood! (or dump them down the well) Be warned! Don't get involved in local or family feuds. Hide behind those curtains. Don't take tea with the Vicar. Stay out of the Drawing Room. Better, stay away from England. It's deadly dangerous.

But fun to watch.
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Valuethinker wrote:
Non7WoodUser wrote:No Escape. It's an accurate reminder of the realities of foreign travel. It confirmed that our decision to not renew our passports was the correct one.

It's really sad that an American, thinks that the rest of the world is an unsafe place to visit.
If you look at Non7WoodUser's posts, he is consistent. He doesn't like to travel to anything other than sporting events in the US and state parks, and if it's not on Fox News, it hasn't happened. I am sure that he would not enjoy foreign travel, even to a foreign sporting event. To each his own.
dubsem

Post by dubsem »

• The Fundamentals of Caring
    Dope
    Tallulah
Netflix has some entertaining gems. I recommend these for people who enjoy comedy-drama.
G.O.O.D.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Hell or High Water. A very well-acted contemporary western thriller.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/12/movie ... .html?_r=0
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Genius

Max Perkins (Colin Firth) a calm, serious NYC book editor
who helped promote F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway
encounters brash and highly unconventional Thomas Wolfe
(Jude Law). They form a somewhat unlikely friendship and
Wolfe is successfully introduced to the literary world.
Circa 1929, Great movie, 8.5/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, I watched Handel's Water Music: Re-creating a Royal Spectacular.

Filmed on the River Thames with The English Consort directed by Andrew Manze. The renowned London Biographer Peter Ackroyd narrates the ambitious attempt of a team of historical experts to discover the remarkable story behind the 1717 premiere of Handel's Water Music on the Thames. The result is the second-ever performance on the river, filmed in costume on a regal-style period barge against the backdrop of the present-day Thames from Whitehall to Chelsea. Includes performances by The English Consort of favorite movements from the F major and D major Suites.

(Description taken from the DVD package.)
Gordon
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Almost done with Season 4 of "House of Cards" on Netflix. Really good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter »

The Secret Life of Pets (cartoon)

Silly and pointless but charming, went for the laughs and succeeded - made me laugh out loud - more so at the beginning.

Reminded me of earlier movie I had to look up: Cats and Dogs, which I think was probably better in a lot of ways but long time since I saw it.
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

One poster saw "Marguerite" and two other posters here saw "Florence Foster Jenkins". I was reading about these and they tell the same story. One can also hear the original FFJ on YouTube but I haven't done so yet. What a sad story!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Brooklyn on HBO. Sweet. Enjoyed it.
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

theunknowntech wrote:Marguerite, a luminously great French film now on disk. IMO it makes the most intensely moving use of Mozart's Figaro since the original. It's also quite funny.
Is this the same movie as Marguerite et Julien?
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

sco wrote:I watched Sausage Party this weekend.

It was exactly what I expected, One and a half hours of cursing and food doing funny things :)
it was...different. :)

it was everything i thot it would be. and more.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

A Hologram for the King, with Tom Hanks starring. Had some funny parts and Tom Hanks is always good.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"I Give It A Year" on Netflix. We enjoyed it.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Ricola wrote:A Hologram for the King, with Tom Hanks starring. Had some funny parts and Tom Hanks is always good.
Waiting for the Library DVD of that.
All the Best, | Joe
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Stranger Things, on Netflix. This is a not a movie, but a TV series made for Netflix. I'd call it a sci-fi drama and suspense. Winona Ryder plays a main character.

I was hooked from the start and only watched the first two episodes because I ran out of time. I'll be finishing up the rest of the series when I get a chance.

I haven't found all that many movies to watch on Netflix and have been searching this thread for suggestions. If anyone is watching on Netflix or other streaming source, please mention it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech »

denismurf wrote:
theunknowntech wrote:Marguerite, a luminously great French film now on disk. IMO it makes the most intensely moving use of Mozart's Figaro since the original. It's also quite funny.
No. This is the movie based on the story that "Florence Foster Jenkins" is also based on, but which precedes the latter. It would be an interesting exercise in comparative film studies to see both of them and see which you prefer and why. :^) I love Meryl as much as the next guy, but she's got some stiff competition here.
theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech »

miles monroe wrote:

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting of the ratings board when they were trying to decide why that shouldn't get an NC-17. The politics there would make an interesting story. Hysterically funny, but not suitable for the "sensitive ones". Too much explaining to do.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

theunknowntech wrote:
denismurf wrote:
No. This is the movie based on the story that "Florence Foster Jenkins" is also based on, but which precedes the latter. It would be an interesting exercise in comparative film studies to see both of them and see which you prefer and why. :^) I love Meryl as much as the next guy, but she's got some stiff competition here.
I saw Marguerite a couple days ago in my home theater after getting the Blu-ray from Netflix. I had seen Florence Foster Jenkins in a public movie theater the week before.

I think both are great movies. Really hard for me to have a preference between the two, but I'm a native French speaker.

Had not heard of "Marguerite et Julien". But now I will have to lookup that one too, just because my first name is in the title.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Ricola wrote:A Hologram for the King, with Tom Hanks starring. Had some funny parts and Tom Hanks is always good.
We saw it in the theater - Tom Hanks was good indeed, but I think the plot was weak, really, just a pretext to see those faraway places on the screen.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

If you look at Non7WoodUser's posts, he is consistent. He doesn't like to travel to anything other than sporting events in the US and state parks, and if it's not on Fox News, it hasn't happened. I am sure that he would not enjoy foreign travel, even to a foreign sporting event. To each his own.
So, last night, we went to see "Train to Busan", a South Korean horror movie that had decent ratings.
We were not prepared for a nearly full theater crowd on a sunday night at 10pm in Cupertino, with the crowd mostly Koreans young adults.

This is a pretty good zombie movie if you enjoy those - good acting, even though neither of us understand Korean, but it was subtitled; though I had to wonder about some obviously literal translations of Korean expressions.

Many of the human characters act so selfishly in this movie that the zombies are almost made look like the good guys; at least the zombies are helpless to their actions. I found myself rooting for the zombies in many scenes. I have grown to particularly enjoy zombie movies, not so much because of the horror aspect, but the reflection they often provide on human condition and infectious diseases, to various degrees of success. This one did not disappoint, and I'm glad I took a chance with it.

South Korea is definitely in on our travel list in the future; I think we will board that train to Busan when we get there. Non7WoodUser will never know what he is missing.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Trumbo

A film about the Hollywood blacklisting during the
cold war era. Great acting and well crafted but as
with any controversial topic the designation of who
was a hero and who was a villain is very subjective
and can be influenced by one's social and political
viewpoints and interpretation of the events of that
era. 6/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I watched The Rape of Europa on Netflix last night (and this morning).

Imagine the world without our masterpieces. Interviews with eyewitnesses and historians and newsreel footage show how during World War II the Nazis systematically took or destroyed the art of Europe. It follows the the heroic Europeans who first hid, and then set out to find and return what had been taken, with the help of the Allied forces "Monuments Men". It is work that continues to this day. (Description taken from library catalog summary.)

This 2006 documentary is based on a superb book by Lynn H. Nicholas, which I read when it first came out. Most are aware of the George Clooney, Matt Damon movie Monuments Men from several years back. A great 1960s John Frankheimer movie, The Train, starring Paul Schofield and Burt Lancaster (in one of his best roles) told the story of French partisans trying to stop German shipment back to Germany of looted Paris art treasures. It's a movie I highly recommend if you haven't seen it.
Gordon
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

theunknowntech wrote:
miles monroe wrote:

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting of the ratings board when they were trying to decide why that shouldn't get an NC-17. The politics there would make an interesting story. Hysterically funny, but not suitable for the "sensitive ones". Too much explaining to do.
i'll never look at a hot dog bun the same way again. :)
sco

Post by sco »

miles monroe wrote:
theunknowntech wrote:
miles monroe wrote:

i'll never look at a hot dog bun the same way again. :)

I can fit an Eggplant in here..
theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech »

madbrain wrote:
We saw it in the theater - Tom Hanks was good indeed, but I think the plot was weak, really, just a pretext to see those faraway places on the screen.
I'll disagree here. This film was a breath of fresh air, after all the made-for-international-profit foo we have to put up with. If we have to see another comic book superhero movie, well I'll...

Look at our planet from orbit and try to pick out the borders, I dare you. Hologram was a provocatively good film. Sometimes you have to just sit and think about stuff.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

theunknowntech wrote:
madbrain wrote:
I'll disagree here. This film was a breath of fresh air, after all the made-for-international-profit foo we have to put up with. If we have to see another comic book superhero movie, well I'll...

Look at our planet from orbit and try to pick out the borders, I dare you. Hologram was a provocatively good film. Sometimes you have to just sit and think about stuff.
I think you may have misunderstood - I love to see foreign countries depicted in movies, learning about new cultures, and foreign travel. I just think the plot in this movie might have been more interesting. It was somewhat slow and the plot is certainly not what kept me watching. It's almost a romantic comedy. It wasn't a bad movie, just one that could have been improved if it had a better story to tell, IMO.
theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech »

madbrain wrote:
theunknowntech wrote:
madbrain wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood - I love to see foreign countries depicted in movies, learning about new cultures, and foreign travel. I just think the plot in this movie might have been more interesting. It was somewhat slow and the plot is certainly not what kept me watching. It's almost a romantic comedy. It wasn't a bad movie, just one that could have been improved if it had a better story to tell, IMO.
Unconventional narrative.

These movies are hard to sell. We need more of them.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

Watched a lot of the Olympics this year and decided to get Eddie the Eagle via Netflix DVD's.... We thought it was good....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

theunknowntech wrote:
madbrain wrote:
theunknowntech wrote:
madbrain wrote:

Unconventional narrative.

These movies are hard to sell. We need more of them.
Now I'm intrigued, especially since I usually enjoy Tom Hanks. I read the Dave Eggers novel on which the movie is based, after reading his previous novel The Circle. Neither novel was memorable despite the acclaims by the literati, especially Hologram which I found a slog. I'll look for it when it streams on netflix.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Watched episode 7 of "The Night Of" last night.

Not as good as season 1 of "True Detective" but a very good series.

Yes, it is NOT a movie, but it sort of is.

Ed
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

Nacho Libre. Lots of laughs and enjoyed by the family.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

ruralavalon wrote:The Creature From the Black Lagoon.

A classic horror film of the early 1950s, worth watching for the nostalgia.
+1
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Captain Fantastic

A 1960s style hippie who finds himself in the 21st century has
6 children he is raising with an anti-society, anti-authority,
survivalist mindset in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest. He
instructs them well via the home school mode in history, science,
and the arts but it is laced with a Marxist, survivalist slant.

From the silly title and descriptions I thought this would be on
the comedic side, and there were some gems of humor, but
overall I would call it sad and tragic. Some people have praised
this movie but I see it as a situation where the children's lives
are hijacked by this parent's plan to mold and conform them to
his extreme view of the world.

They come back into society to a degree to attend the funeral of
the mother who has been institutionalized and has committed
suicide but they view society (except a couple of kids who are
starting to question things) as an enemy and they employ
strategies as though they were operating in enemy territory.

The movie ends on a more "balanced", hopeful note where they retain
elements of naturalism but are not total outcasts.

5/10 for me but I recommend you see it, your view may be different.
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

The Big Short. The book is good also.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Bad Moms
I'm a guy. I didn't get a lot of the jokes. :?:
The girls (4) were yukking all the time. :?:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads,

Has anyone watched the new Rocky movie - "Creed"?
woof755

Post by woof755 »

I liked it for what it was. I take a liking to boxing movies for some reason. I thought some of the themes were served with a spoon bigger than I needed to understand them, but other than being noticeable, it wasn't a distraction. I won't watch it again, but I'm definitely glad I took the two hours to watch it once. I thought the performance by the lead was perfectly fine, but didn't think it Oscar-worthy (and I am sensitive to #OscarsSoWhite)

Just watched Kubo and the Two Strings with my wife and one of my daughters. I. Loved. It.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

Black Mass (2015) Johnny Depp, Rory Cochrane, Benedict Cumberbatch, Joel Edgerton. Based on the story of James "Whitey" Bulger, crime lord of Boston, the same figure Jack Nicholson's Frank Costello was based on in The Departed. Depp plays him well, having a reserved but violent temper. I actually had the thought, "Finally, something where Depp is not playing a derivative of his Captain Jack Sparrow character." Having known the story of Bulger, I vaguely knew what to expect of the story, at least its ending. Some parts of it were predictable, even parts that didn't play directly into the outcome. Not overwhelmingly great or terrible, much like another Depp crime film, Public Enemies. 3/5.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

amateurnovice wrote:Black Mass (2015) Johnny Depp, Rory Cochrane, Benedict Cumberbatch, Joel Edgerton. Based on the story of James "Whitey" Bulger, crime lord of Boston, the same figure Jack Nicholson's Frank Costello was based on in The Departed. Depp plays him well, having a reserved but violent temper. I actually had the thought, "Finally, something where Depp is not playing a derivative of his Captain Jack Sparrow character." Having known the story of Bulger, I vaguely knew what to expect of the story, at least its ending. Some parts of it were predictable, even parts that didn't play directly into the outcome. Not overwhelmingly great or terrible, much like another Depp crime film, Public Enemies. 3/5.
The best Johnny Depp crime film is Donnie Brasco.
Gordon
Levett

Post by Levett »

An enthusiastic second to Hell or High Water. Timely plot, well-acted, rich humor, great soundtrack, and compelling cinematography.

Lev
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Joy (2015) Jennifer Lawrence, Robt. De Niro. Mildly interesting. Glad I didn't pay to see it. Just OK. But I will say this: My wife is going to buy that mop!
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

Nicolas wrote:Joy (2015) Jennifer Lawrence, Robt. De Niro. Mildly interesting. Glad I didn't pay to see it. Just OK. But I will say this: My wife is going to buy that mop!
Concur with this. I like David O. Russell films but his partnership with Lawrence seems to have run its course.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

"The House of Saddam" by HBO.

Very good.