Improving the Bogleheads forum

Discussions about the forum and contents
stlutz

Re: Improving the Bogleheads forum

Post by stlutz »

The best way to improve the forum is simply to improve the quality of one's own posts. Good posts are why I come here and why many google searches on investing topics will list BH posts high up in the search rankings.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Erwin wrote:
Lovely Rita wrote:Maybe for the Personal Consumers Issues, you could add a sticky that says: FIRST do a search to see if your issue has been addressed. Then, of course, explain how to do the search.
What is the purpose of having a Personal Consumers Issues section, this is a forum about investments?
This is a forum about personal finance, not just investments. In the personal finance perspective, being wise in one's consumption of consumer goods leads to being wise with one's money. That's also why there is a Personal Finance section.
mj13f150 wrote:a larger default font, or a way to increase the font size without doing CTRL+ which makes everything on the page bigger. Font is tiny.
The font issue is tied to the forum settings, as the font size is set in the CSS file(s) for the phpBB style being used. This forum only supports one style at the moment, the default phpBB style.
telemark wrote:If Warren hit Jimmy while lunching in Las Vegas, how would the headline read?
Buffett buffets Buffett at the buffet... which is not quite as good as "a ship shipping ship shipping shipping ships" or "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo".
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Mudpuppy wrote:
Erwin wrote:
Lovely Rita wrote:Maybe for the Personal Consumers Issues, you could add a sticky that says: FIRST do a search to see if your issue has been addressed. Then, of course, explain how to do the search.
What is the purpose of having a Personal Consumers Issues section, this is a forum about investments?
This is a forum about personal finance, not just investments. In the personal finance perspective, being wise in one's consumption of consumer goods leads to being wise with one's money. That's also why there is a Personal Finance section.
mj13f150 wrote:a larger default font, or a way to increase the font size without doing CTRL+ which makes everything on the page bigger. Font is tiny.
The font issue is tied to the forum settings, as the font size is set in the CSS file(s) for the phpBB style being used. This forum only supports one style at the moment, the default phpBB style.
telemark wrote:If Warren hit Jimmy while lunching in Las Vegas, how would the headline read?
Buffett buffets Buffett at the buffet... which is not quite as good as "a ship shipping ship shipping shipping ships" or "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo".
Things like whatever you wash your car by yourself or not are absolutely not part of the reason this forum was conceived. In my view it degrades the excellent input of many on investments.
Erwin
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Erwin wrote:Things like whatever you wash your car by yourself or not are absolutely not part of the reason this forum was conceived. In my view it degrades the excellent input of many on investments.
And yet many others find value in the Consumer forum, as evidenced by the vocal outcry when it was temporarily suspended several years ago while the admins determined if the forum would run counter to the goals of a non-profit personal finance entity.

There may be topics of a more trivial nature, but even the car wash question brings to mind personal finance issues of maintenance and upkeep of one's possessions, and trade-offs one might make between ultimate frugality and spending a reasonable amount on "wants".
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Mudpuppy wrote:
Erwin wrote:Things like whatever you wash your car by yourself or not are absolutely not part of the reason this forum was conceived. In my view it degrades the excellent input of many on investments.
And yet many others find value in the Consumer forum, as evidenced by the vocal outcry when it was temporarily suspended several years ago while the admins determined if the forum would run counter to the goals of a non-profit personal finance entity.

There may be topics of a more trivial nature, but even the car wash question brings to mind personal finance issues of maintenance and upkeep of one's possessions, and trade-offs one might make between ultimate frugality and spending a reasonable amount on "wants".
I am sure that I will not win much support by my coments, but the fact that many enjoy the topic of car washing in a forum that was specifically formed to deal with investments does not mean at all that it should be part of thus forum. Recently there was a healthy discussion on the type of guns to own. I think that cars and guns deserve to be addressed in a more relevant medium as much as I think that these topics negatively impact what we are trying to accomplish here.
Erwin
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

If an interview a few years ago had gone better, one of the first things I'd have done - as soon as my feet got back on the ground - was to ask the Bogleheads for advice on buying a car, then probably on maintaining it. Unfortunately, I will still be scrolling past auto (and gun and boat and expensive watch) threads. But I'm glad they're there because that means stuff I do need information on such as a new computer purchase in the near future or how to best allot my connectivity budget (i.e. spend as little as possible on cell phones) can be addressed.

This definitely impacts investments in a basic way. Money I dump without need can't go into the Roth. Or worse yer comes out of my investments and may even be taxed. :thumbsdown Consumer stuff can really affect investments.

Kudos to the mods for keeping trolls, shills and spammers at bay :beer - and, puhleeze keep the consumer category. It isn't irrelevant.

Vic

PS. No "like" buttons, please!
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

miles monroe wrote:automatically get rid of +1.
+1. That's what like buttons are for! :happy
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Erwin wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:

I am sure that I will not win much support by my coments, but the fact that many enjoy the topic of car washing in a forum that was specifically formed to deal with investments does not mean at all that it should be part of thus forum. Recently there was a healthy discussion on the type of guns to own. I think that cars and guns deserve to be addressed in a more relevant medium as much as I think that these topics negatively impact what we are trying to accomplish here.
It seems like we have different definitions of what this forum is trying to accomplish. I see it as promoting wise use of money in all areas of one's life (e.g. comprehensive financial literacy in one's personal finances), which would include both investing and consumer purchases like $5000 watches, cars, houses, and even guns. Perhaps you see it as just investing, in which case we'll have to agree to disagree.
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

To follow up on another poster's comment about encouraging Forum members to search before posting a new topic, I suggest that a pleasantly-worded reminder be placed on each Post a New Topic page. Perhaps something could be included that suggests that, if the poster reads relevant Wiki sections and threads first, his question is likely to be more specific and accordingly the quality of responses may be improved.

I like the technology (especially security) discussions in consumer topics. They're enormously helpful to me & I do consider them as part of my financial planning. I skip any consumer issues I don't care about, so their existence doesn't bother me. [I plead guilty to asking a question about ammo. The online source I learned about from the replies cut my target practice expenses by approx 40%]. Being able to ask consumer questions of a sane, (generally) civil group of intelligent people is helpful, even if it's not the primary purpose of the Forum. It's ok to skip topics which are not of interest to you personally, I do.

Huge shout out to administrators--we don't thank you enough for the extraordinary work you do. Thank you!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

patriciamgr2 wrote:Huge shout out to administrators--we don't thank you enough for the extraordinary work you do. Thank you!
I agree a million times over for maintaining this wonderful forum that has improved the financial lives of so many. :D :D
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Peter Foley wrote:I would also like to be able to post an excel spreadsheet or table and have the formatting hold. Again, I know there is a way to do this, but as one who would only do so occasionally, it is something I would have to relearn each time I used it.
I also wanted to be able to do this and the solution for me was to establish a free DropBox account with cloud storage ; Office files can be put out there with an access link provided and anonymity is also preserved - maybe not the best option for some but I think there are at least a few others on the forum who use GoogleDrive which is similar .
island

Post by island »

Mrxyz wrote:How about a section just for portfolio review ? Currently there are many portfolio reviews which get(/need) bumped as the review - by many contributors over time - is not complete and it can take a long time as it goes down the list and 'disappears' in page 2 etc.
That's a great idea!
I learn a lot from those.
You're right, like everything else they get pushed down in the threads and a seperate section would make it easier to keep track of them. Plus some people get "creative" and don't include portfolio review in their title and I don't see them.

Would be helpful to attach the sticky about how to post a portfolio review to that section too, if possible.
island

Post by island »

Why? If someone asks for an opinion that boils down to an either/or, looking for a consensus response, or favorite brand of something, and a poster is in agreement with what's already been posted then why not do a +1 rather than take the time and space to blabber on basically the same thing.
rongos

Post by rongos »

island wrote:
Why? If someone asks for an opinion that boils down to an either/or, looking for a consensus response, or favorite brand of something, and a poster is in agreement with what's already been posted then why not do a +1 rather than take the time and space to blabber on basically the same thing.
I think this is something Bogleheads is missing compared to other good forums that have this feature. They have a way to applaud a good post, a way to show that you strongly agree with what a poster says, a way to give support or to promote what someone else said, without having to respond "+1". A certain other forum shows a green bar that grows longer and longer every time someone votes on it, or a red bar when enough people down vote it. In this way, people won't have to say "+1", they can click a vote button, and other people will see that what this person said is very popular or has a high approval rating.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Perhaps some language near the google box to the effect of…

"Have a question? Research it here first!"

I think the forum is near perfect considering the number of people using it and the fact that it is free and seems mostly run by volunteers. For the most part, I'm content to be content with what the owners of the forum decide.

That said, I'd still like a word of caution in the registration procedure. Something like
  • "If you are seeking financial advice, a significant amount of personal information may be requested. For this reason, consider an anonymous username instead of a username that relates to your actual identity."
island

Post by island »

rongos wrote:
island wrote:
I think this is something Bogleheads is missing compared to other good forums that have this feature. They have a way to applaud a good post, a way to show that you strongly agree with what a poster says, a way to give support or to promote what someone else said, without having to respond "+1". A certain other forum shows a green bar that grows longer and longer every time someone votes on it, or a red bar when enough people down vote it. In this way, people won't have to say "+1", they can click a vote button, and other people will see that what this person said is very popular or has a high approval rating.
That's different than what I'm talking about. I have no intention or desire to uses it as an approval rating or Facebook Like.
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

-1 :wink:
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

retiredjg wrote:I think the forum is near perfect considering the number of people using it and the fact that it is free and seems mostly run by volunteers. For the most part, I'm content to be content with what the owners of the forum decide.

That said, I'd still like a word of caution in the registration procedure. Something like
  • "If you are seeking financial advice, a significant amount of personal information may be requested. For this reason, consider an anonymous username instead of a username that relates to your actual identity."
I agree with this. The forum is near perfect, but a word of user-name caution should be added. Not only would it help new registers properly plan their registration and posts, it is important information we should be providing them. The registration page doesn't give them a heads-up that their user name is not just for logging in, it's also their screen name visible to the public and open to screen shots.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Ability to highlight the OP in the responses would be a great addition. I hate having to go back to page 1 first post to see who the OP was then scroll through to find responses or updates.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Mudpuppy wrote:
Erwin wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:

It seems like we have different definitions of what this forum is trying to accomplish. I see it as promoting wise use of money in all areas of one's life (e.g. comprehensive financial literacy in one's personal finances), which would include both investing and consumer purchases like $5000 watches, cars, houses, and even guns. Perhaps you see it as just investing, in which case we'll have to agree to disagree.
Unfortunately, you may be right now, but when it started, many years ago, still under Morningstar, it was intended as a serious forum based on Markowitz concepts (Noble Prize 1970), i.e., the application of Modern Pirtfolio Theory, which eventually Bogle incorporated into his passive investment philosophy.
What you are referring is new and unrelated to the original mission.
Erwin
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

harrychan wrote:Ability to highlight the OP in the responses would be a great addition. I hate having to go back to page 1 first post to see who the OP was then scroll through to find responses or updates.
That's a good idea.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

pennstater2005 wrote:
harrychan wrote:Ability to highlight the OP in the responses would be a great addition. I hate having to go back to page 1 first post to see who the OP was then scroll through to find responses or updates.
That's a good idea.
I think it is a good idea too, as long as it does not cost much. Or anything. I suspect it does though.
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

island wrote:
+1
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Mudpuppy wrote:
Erwin wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:

This is also the way I see it. Being a Boglehead, as expressed in the Bogleheads' philosophy, goes beyond investing and into how well we save and spend our money. It's that simple - simple as the Bogleheads' philosophy.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I don't have any serious complaints at all.

It would be nice if it was easier to delete one's own posts, even after others have responded. There have been multiple times when I posted something, then realized for whatever reason that I wanted to delete it, and it was too late (most often accidental duplicate posts). That would also potentially make it easier to adhere to forum rules, if, for instance, one posts something and then has later reservations as to whether it conforms to the guidelines.

It would also be nice if there was a simpler way to quote other authors when responding. The current method works fine, but it gets a bit confusing when, for instance, there are multiple embedded posts, or when you want to quote more than one person. Perhaps it is the best possible already.

A simpler way to copy and paste an image (maybe drag and drop?) would also be welcome.

These are little tweaks, and I appreciate that it may take more expense and/or manpower to correct them than is warranted. If so, just ignore....I'm basically happy.
Last edited by protagonist on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Miriam2 wrote:
patriciamgr2 wrote:Huge shout out to administrators--we don't thank you enough for the extraordinary work you do. Thank you!
I agree a million times over for maintaining this wonderful forum that has improved the financial lives of so many. :D :D
+1
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

retiredjg wrote:Perhaps some language near the google box to the effect of…

"Have a question? Research it here first!"
I have no problem with repeating information for people.

This would most often affect newbies, with a lot of general questions that have probably been answered several times in the past.

That said, do you want to make said newbie (or non-newbie for that matter) rummage through perhaps hundreds of pages of old posts to find a simple answer? We have all been there I think, at one time or another (perhaps in some other forum).

I would rather just give him/her the answer again, especially if it is concise, or provide the reference. It is the decent thing to do. It can be very frustrating and time-consuming to find a simple answer to a common question in the archives of a huge forum like this, and that is especially true for those not familiar with navigating the site. One thing I like most about this forum is how nice and patient people are here, compared with some other sites. Empathy is a wonderful thing.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Deleted
Last edited by TimeRunner on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The site owners decide on allowable topics, which is described in the Forum Policies (Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines).

Personal Consumer Issues are specifically permitted. The rationale for deviating from a "pure" investing forum is that investing is a complicated topic. For those who don't understand investing, consumer issues provide a way to encourage people to start posting here. The hope is that once members become comfortable with consumer topics, they'll gain confidence to start asking about investing.

I will also explain that it is the moderators' job to enforce forum policy, regardless of the topic. I have removed a post which criticized the rationale for discussing consumer issues from this thread: How much do you spend on coffee/tea? See Member Rights in a Dispute, 2nd paragraph. If you don't agree with a topic, then simply do not post in that thread.

Moderator resources are very limited, which is a major reason we don't permit politics, religion, economic policy, etc.

The points about consumer issues have been made. Let's move on.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

retiredjg wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:
That's a good idea.
I think it is a good idea too, as long as it does not cost much. Or anything. I suspect it does though.
It should be just a simple plugin for phpbb.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

harrychan wrote:It should be just a simple plugin for phpbb.
I hate to sound like an old IT curmudgeon, but rarely is there such a thing as a "simple" plugin.

Yes, phpBB has the functionality for highlighting built into it, but changing all the links to have the "hilit=" option in the URL if the user has asked for that feature (because not all users will want that feature) may not be so simple.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A request to identify the OP of a topic was asked for here: Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests, there is no plugin available for this version of the phpBB software.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Regarding our fabulous wiki :happy
Sometimes it is frustrating using the wiki search box and I wish for an index or table of contents.
Apparently there is an index, I just never knew where it was = the "complete article list"

On the wiki home page, scroll down to "Can't find what you're looking for?" and there will be a link to the "complete article list" which brings up an alphabetical list of wiki articles, which link to the specific article! The index is not called an index or table of contents, it's called "All pages."

I may not be the only person who missed this index. Perhaps this link could be re-named "Index of Articles" and also a link called "index" could be included on the more visible left hand side of the wiki home page, along with the "site navigation" and "recent changes" column. It may make it easier for viewers to find articles in the wiki.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I would like a feature to either bookmark, notify, or subscribe to a post (which presumably becomes a thread) AUTOMATICALLY based on OP. For example, I would subscribe to postings by:
Jack Bogle
Bill Bernstein
Christine Benz
Rick Ferri
Allan Roth
Mike Piper
Taylor Larimore
Laura Dogu
Mel Lindauer
LadyGeek
MichDad (a fellow Fed in the same boat as me)
VIctoria

That would be a really cool feature. :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

TimeRunner wrote:I would like a feature to either bookmark, notify, or subscribe to a post (which presumably becomes a thread) AUTOMATICALLY based on OP.
While you can't do it automatically, you can create a bookmarked search. Click on the wheel next to the search bar to go to the advanced search; you can then search by author in the first post of topics only.

I use this occasionally when I want to look up a thread I started, in order to refer to it in a different thread.
Wiki David Grabiner
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

grabiner wrote:
TimeRunner wrote:I would like a feature to either bookmark, notify, or subscribe to a post (which presumably becomes a thread) AUTOMATICALLY based on OP.
While you can't do it automatically, you can create a bookmarked search. Click on the wheel next to the search bar to go to the advanced search; you can then search by author in the first post of topics only.

I use this occasionally when I want to look up a thread I started, in order to refer to it in a different thread.
Thanks, not as automatic, but nice to know. I'd add you to my list, btw. :D
pondering

Post by pondering »

I've cleaned up my wiki some, there were some trademark issues.

I keep a list of interesting links from this forum here: https://sterbalssundrystudies.miraheze. ... .org_links

Feel free to add your own page to my wiki, it is easy to do, and I'm really happy to help.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch »

rongos wrote: I think this is something Bogleheads is missing compared to other good forums that have this feature. They have a way to applaud a good post, a way to show that you strongly agree with what a poster says, a way to give support or to promote what someone else said, without having to respond "+1". A certain other forum shows a green bar that grows longer and longer every time someone votes on it, or a red bar when enough people down vote it. In this way, people won't have to say "+1", they can click a vote button, and other people will see that what this person said is very popular or has a high approval rating.
This is something I would very much like to see, also.

+1. :-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

:thumbsdown There won't be a "like" button. See: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?
siamond

Post by siamond »

Miriam2 wrote:Regarding our fabulous wiki :happy
Sometimes it is frustrating using the wiki search box and I wish for an index or table of contents.
Apparently there is an index, I just never knew where it was = the "complete article list"

On the wiki home page, scroll down to "Can't find what you're looking for?" and there will be a link to the "complete article list" which brings up an alphabetical list of wiki articles, which link to the specific article! The index is not called an index or table of contents, it's called "All pages."

I may not be the only person who missed this index. Perhaps this link could be re-named "Index of Articles" and also a link called "index" could be included on the more visible left hand side of the wiki home page, along with the "site navigation" and "recent changes" column. It may make it easier for viewers to find articles in the wiki.
Regarding our fabulous Miriam2... :wink:
==> I totally agree with you, great points.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

siamond wrote:

Regarding our fabulous Miriam2... :wink:
==> I totally agree with you, great points.
FWIW, I agree with both of you. The Word "Index" or "Table of Contents" would be nice.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Highlight or flag OP in threads.

Sometimes OP gets lost in lenghthy threads. I sometimes like to check in and see the OP's response but have to wade through lots of replies to find the OP.

Keep in mind that this site is maintained by volunteers!

Thanks to everyone that works to maintain this site!

I am not at all familiar with the ins and outs of the work involved, but I have caught bits and pieces of the process and some folks are working hard in the background to keep this site up and running.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Please allow the ability to create tables in the threads. I know there's a code box, but it's nothing like inserting a table.

I can't think of a forum that would benefit more from this feature.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I had the pleasure of meeting miriam2 at the recent Bogleheads Conference, who made a very convincing argument to make this change. :)

The wiki has been updated. First, the name has been changed from "All pages" to "Index of articles".*

Next, the wiki's left-side menu has been revised to add "Index of articles" in the top section. Recent changes has been moved to the "For wiki editors" section.

* Wikipedia uses sentence capitalization, meaning only the first letter of the title is capitalized.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

I think the new wiki Index of Articles is pretty neat, but then, I'm pretty old-school 8-)
The wiki has grown with many useful articles and the Index of articles may help readers find articles they did not know were there :happy
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LadyGeek wrote:

I had the pleasure of meeting miriam2 at the recent Bogleheads Conference, who made a very convincing argument to make this change. :)

The wiki has been updated. First, the name has been changed from "All pages" to "Index of articles".*

Next, the wiki's left-side menu has been revised to add "Index of articles" in the top section. Recent changes has been moved to the "For wiki editors" section.

* Wikipedia uses sentence capitalization, meaning only the first letter of the title is capitalized.
Thanks, LadyGeek. I can now find things! :D
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I knew the Wiki was pretty big….but oh my goodness! It's huge!
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

LadyGeek wrote:The wiki has been updated. First, the name has been changed from "All pages" to "Index of articles".
Minor point of clarification. Articles in italic are redirects, not standalone articles. There is a checkbox to hide the redirects, and the direct link is Index of articles
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good point, but I think hiding redirects may cause readers to miss articles.

Redirects are wiki terminology for a short name, abbreviation, or acronym that point to the full article name. They are primarily intended for the wiki's search box.

For example, typing "UTMA" in the wiki's search box (upper right corner) will redirect to Uniform Gift to Minors Act.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

rongos wrote:
island wrote:
Instead of a like button how about agree and disagree buttons. As noted, this is a good way to gauge consensus opinion without +1 posts.

This is different from a like button because I might like a post because it's thoughtful and well written, but that doesn't mean I agree with it.