Ally or Capital One 360 online savings account?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
iloveramen

Ally or Capital One 360 online savings account?

Post by iloveramen »

Hi Bogleheads,

As i am getting my finances in order. It is a long slow process but getting there. I am toying with the idea of opening up a high yield savings account. I am skeptical of an all online savings account but heard good recommendations to do it. I have a money market account at my local credit union (CU) but the rate ranges from .15 - .35% depending on how much you have in the account.

I researched online an saw Ally savings account and the Capital One 360 Money Market account has 1% but has good reviews. I read some bad reviews and some awful stories. I trust this forums recommendations more than the reviews I read online.

What are thoughts? Should I go with Ally or a Capital One 360? If there is other recommendations I would love to hear them. Thank you in advance.
Carter3

Re: Ally or Capital One 360 online savings account?

Post by Carter3 »

I have been happy with my ally accounts
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

I haven't used the new money market account, but I've had ING Direct/Capital One 360 savings and checking accounts for 15 years without complaint.

GMAC/Ally will never see any of my money, mostly due to mismanaging themselves into the ground, getting a government bailout, and then rebranding themselves to avoid the stigma.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

Barclay's Bank and Discover Bank are also 2 other online savings accounts to consider
Focus on what you can control
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

I've been very satisfied with ING/Capitol One 360, especially with respect to customer service. The words high yield, however, should be in air quotes!
xenial

Post by xenial »

I'm very happy with Ally. I have checking, savings, and CDs with them, and I've had no problems.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I've been very happy with Capital One 360.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
Toons

Post by Toons »

I have been pleased with Capital One.
I use the 360 checking account and money market.
Ally or CapOne
6 in one hand,half a dozen in the other. :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

Since I had some other accounts at Capital One, I decided to open a Capital One 360 savings account. I did this about one month ago. I consolidated various cash balances into the 360 account. So far so good.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

We have both CapOne 360 and CapOne MM, works for us, again we are easy to please. I have autopay from 360 to my CapOne CC every month flawless.
student

Post by student »

It is my understanding that Ally pulls your credit report but not Capital One.
209south

Post by 209south »

I use and am very happy with both. Ally currently has better CD rates so as I build a short-term CD ladder I'm shifting funds in their direction.
nyknicks4412

Post by nyknicks4412 »

Big fan of Ally. Used them the last 3 years or so. Customer service is excellent and they have a great mobile app.
nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer »

I have had both. Both are pretty seamless. CO360 has much faster ACH transfer times, but only allows 2 external account links. Ally has what appears to be a slick interface, but I find it slow and clunky. If I didn't need more account connections, I would have stayed with CO360.
student wrote:It is my understanding that Ally pulls your credit report but not Capital One.
Ally only pulls credit if you open a checking account.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I have had a capital one online saving account about 2 years ago. When I started it had one of the highest rates, but their introductory rate slowly dwindled and dropped down to 0.65% so I switched to Ally about 2 years ago. Rate has only increased by .01% since I have had them.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
yesac13

Post by yesac13 »

If you have less than $50,000 in cash...

Ally probably is a better choice. 1% or so for savings. More than the .75% Capital One pays. I recall Ally pays .25 or .35% for their checking accounts which is the same as Capital One.

Now here's the interesting part... If you have $50k to 99k Capital One pays .75% for the checking accounts! And what's more, it goes to .90% if you have 100k or more in cash! Savings are stuck at .75 no matter how much cash you have. A bit odd.

This means great convience for some people who hold 50k or more - no need to bother moving cash from checking to savings! This matters lots for some people. I myself don't have over 50k in cash (too high a cash allocation for me) so sadly do not benefit from this. I am increasingly annoyed at constantly moving cash from checking to savings to make sure my cash earns the best interest so the high checking interest rates interest me.

Once in a while Capital One offer great CD rates. They offered a 1 year 1.3% CD rate late in January 2016. I took advantage of it. It promptly dropped a short time later.

In general Capital One is not that competitive any more. The only competitive thing is their checking accounts if you have 50k or more and the occasional CD deals that show up time to time. I had this Capital One 360 account since 2009. It was originally known as ING Direct. It sold out to Capital One and no longer does business in the US. ING Direct still does business in Canada I think so Canadian Bogleheads may wish to look into them. Interesting thing is that the website design has not changed in 7 years yet the layout remains very modern and easy to use. Capital One merely changed the ING Direct orange and blue to their red and blue. Still, I had more faith in ING Direct so I was sad when it sold out. Something was lost - when ING was running things they tended to pay very good interest rates.
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

nanoanalyzer wrote:
student wrote:It is my understanding that Ally pulls your credit report but not Capital One.
I have two Ally checking accounts (recently opened in the last 90 days) and there was no credit check.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

yesac13 wrote:If you have less than $50,000 in cash...

Ally probably is a better choice. 1% or so for savings. More than the .75% Capital One pays. I recall Ally pays .25 or .35% for their checking accounts which is the same as Capital One.

Now here's the interesting part... If you have $50k to 99k Capital One pays .75% for the checking accounts! And what's more, it goes to .90% if you have 100k or more in cash! Savings are stuck at .75 no matter how much cash you have. A bit odd.

This means great convience for some people who hold 50k or more - no need to bother moving cash from checking to savings! This matters lots for some people. I myself don't have over 50k in cash (too high a cash allocation for me) so sadly do not benefit from this. I am increasingly annoyed at constantly moving cash from checking to savings to make sure my cash earns the best interest so the high checking interest rates interest me.

Once in a while Capital One offer great CD rates. They offered a 1 year 1.3% CD rate late in January 2016. I took advantage of it. It promptly dropped a short time later.

In general Capital One is not that competitive any more. The only competitive thing is their checking accounts if you have 50k or more and the occasional CD deals that show up time to time. I had this Capital One 360 account since 2009. It was originally known as ING Direct. It sold out to Capital One and no longer does business in the US. ING Direct still does business in Canada I think so Canadian Bogleheads may wish to look into them. Interesting thing is that the website design has not changed in 7 years yet the layout remains very modern and easy to use. Capital One merely changed the ING Direct orange and blue to their red and blue. Still, I had more faith in ING Direct so I was sad when it sold out. Something was lost - when ING was running things they tended to pay very good interest rates.
If you have more than $10k, you can get 1% with their new money market account. Balances less than $10k still earn .60%. I have never used Ally, but I have been happy with my two 360 (savings and money market) accounts, as well as my Quicksilver credit card. The IOS app is pretty slick.
student

Post by student »

nanoanalyzer wrote:I have had both. Both are pretty seamless. CO360 has much faster ACH transfer times, but only allows 2 external account links. Ally has what appears to be a slick interface, but I find it slow and clunky. If I didn't need more account connections, I would have stayed with CO360.
My info must be outdated. (I remember calling them a few years ago and I didn't open an account with them because the person on the phone told me that there will be a credit check.)
student

Post by student »

Loandapper wrote:
nanoanalyzer wrote:
I have two Ally checking accounts (recently opened in the last 90 days) and there was no credit check.
My info must be outdated. (I remember calling them a few years ago and I didn't open an account with them because the person on the phone told me that there will be a credit check.)
yesac13

Post by yesac13 »

I forgot about the money market account Capital One 360. That one is a pretty good deal and its new, fairly recent. Odd that it's FDIC guaranteed because usually money market accounts aren't FDIC guaranteed. At least the ones I had years ago weren't.

To review the rates Capital One 360 has, this link lists the current rates as for now.

https://home.capitalone360.com/rates
reriodan

Post by reriodan »

Can't go wrong with either one. Only way you can go wrong is by NOT using one of these banks.
Topic Author
iloveramen

Post by iloveramen »

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm leaning towards the Capital One 360 Money Market than Ally.

Question: I was searching through this forum and notice Capital One doesn't allow putting beneficiaries on the account. Is that true?
brennok

Post by brennok »

I went with Ally just for the better rate. They recently introduced tiers, but no actual difference in rates so far. ING used to be really competitive but then fell off. I do have a Cap 360 just from leaving a little money parked at ING but I never use it.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I have used both. I closed the Cap360 savings account specifically because they would not allow a beneficiary. With Ally, you go through the account opening screens and get the account set up. Then, you are immediately given the option to add a beneficiary.
TomJarkin

Post by TomJarkin »

Does anyone who have a Cap1 savings account also have a Cap1 credit card? I have only one account with Cap1 and it's a credit card. I'm working on a process to consolidate down bank accounts in total and was considering opening a Cap1 Savings account to make things easier since I like my Cap1 Credit Card and if both accounts show up on the same login account screen, that would simplify things a bit.
student

Post by student »

yesac13 wrote:I forgot about the money market account Capital One 360. That one is a pretty good deal and its new, fairly recent. Odd that it's FDIC guaranteed because usually money market accounts aren't FDIC guaranteed. At least the ones I had years ago weren't.

To review the rates Capital One 360 has, this link lists the current rates as for now.

I thought money market accounts are FDIC insured whereas money market mutual finds are not.
student

Post by student »

TomJarkin wrote:Does anyone who have a Cap1 savings account also have a Cap1 credit card? I have only one account with Cap1 and it's a credit card. I'm working on a process to consolidate down bank accounts in total and was considering opening a Cap1 Savings account to make things easier since I like my Cap1 Credit Card and if both accounts show up on the same login account screen, that would simplify things a bit.
I have both and I use one login.
Topic Author
iloveramen

Post by iloveramen »

Katietsu wrote:I have used both. I closed the Cap360 savings account specifically because they would not allow a beneficiary. With Ally, you go through the account opening screens and get the account set up. Then, you are immediately given the option to add a beneficiary.
I called Capital One this morning. You are correct they do not allow adding a beneficiary. This might be a problem later down the road, but at the same time I am still young. This might sway my decision a bit.
student

Post by student »

iloveramen wrote:
Katietsu wrote:I have used both. I closed the Cap360 savings account specifically because they would not allow a beneficiary. With Ally, you go through the account opening screens and get the account set up. Then, you are immediately given the option to add a beneficiary.
I called Capital One this morning. You are correct they do not allow adding a beneficiary. This might be a problem later down the road, but at the same time I am still young. This might sway my decision a bit.
Both American Express and Barclays allow beneficiary and their rates are competitive. Although I do not have an account as GS bank, my understanding is that it allows beneficiary.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Toons wrote:I have been pleased with Capital One.
I use the 360 checking account and money market.
Ally or CapOne
6 in one hand,half a dozen in the other. :D
+1
Lots of previous threads from people liking both....

Sincerely,
gasdoc
Kenster1

Post by Kenster1 »

otinkyad wrote:I haven't used the new money market account, but I've had ING Direct/Capital One 360 savings and checking accounts for 15 years without complaint.

GMAC/Ally will never see any of my money, mostly due to mismanaging themselves into the ground, getting a government bailout, and then rebranding themselves to avoid the stigma.
So you have a problem with GMAC/Ally getting bailout money but ok with or making an exception for Capital One Financial getting bailout money ($3.5B)?
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Any overconfidence in your investing ability, willingness and need to take risk may be hazardous to your health.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

student wrote:
yesac13 wrote:I forgot about the money market account Capital One 360. That one is a pretty good deal and its new, fairly recent. Odd that it's FDIC guaranteed because usually money market accounts aren't FDIC guaranteed. At least the ones I had years ago weren't.

I thought money market accounts are FDIC insured whereas money market mutual finds are not.
You're right. Money Market deposit accounts are insured. Money Market mutual funds are not.
https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

Kenster1 wrote:
otinkyad wrote:GMAC/Ally will never see any of my money, mostly due to mismanaging themselves into the ground, getting a government bailout, and then rebranding themselves to avoid the stigma.
So you have a problem with GMAC/Ally getting bailout money but ok with or making an exception for Capital One Financial getting bailout money ($3.5B)?
Yes. In addition to the other two reasons I mentioned, I also distinguish between the bank bailouts and the GM/Chrysler bailouts. GMAC was part of the latter, though they became a bank holding company in December 2008 as a conduit for the bailout.
docbrown

Post by docbrown »

Unusual benefits of Capital One 360 that Ally lacks (to the best of my knowledge):

- You can deactivate and reactivate the debit card at will. 99% of the time mine is deactivated for safety. I rarely get cash.
- The debit card is totally flat and does not have embossed numbers.

I thought Capital One would destroy my ING account, but to my surprise, they haven't. I'm a happy customer.
Roth was a Senator, not an acronym. Please, stop writing it in all caps.
Kenster1

Post by Kenster1 »

docbrown wrote:Unusual benefits of Capital One 360 that Ally lacks (to the best of my knowledge):

- You can deactivate and reactivate the debit card at will. 99% of the time mine is deactivated for safety. I rarely get cash.
- The debit card is totally flat and does not have embossed numbers.

I thought Capital One would destroy my ING account, but to my surprise, they haven't. I'm a happy customer.
Are you referring to Checking or Savings Account? Ally doesn't even offer a Debit Card for a Savings-only account. They do offer the card for their Money-Market Account though.

But the negatives for Capital One is that you can't add a beneficiary. And if someone was also considering their Checking Accounts - you may only have 1 - regardless of whether it's an individual or joint account.
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Any overconfidence in your investing ability, willingness and need to take risk may be hazardous to your health.
Topic Author
iloveramen

Post by iloveramen »

student wrote:
iloveramen wrote:
Both American Express and Barclays allow beneficiary and their rates are competitive. Although I do not have an account as GS bank, my understanding is that it allows beneficiary.
Thanks. I have researched the online banks with High Yield recommended in this thread. Tough choice to choose from. i know I shouldn't chase rates, but I want to make sure my funds are well kept, even though FDIC insured. I read horror stories with Ally holding funds without reason.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

iloveramen wrote:I read horror stories with Ally holding funds without reason.
Financial product reviews must be taken with a salt lick. I haven't read many bank reviews, but credit card reviews are full of stories like "I did [something stupid] and the bank did [something reasonable] for no reason, and now I'm [bleeped]." Bogleheads probably avoid the [something stupid] in general (like not paying the bill, or overdrawing the account, etc.). Many people (at least from reading reviews) seem to think that nothing ever goes wrong, and that if it does either they are getting screwed or the company in question is evil. I suspect that a lack of financial literacy and the fear of financial transactions that it engenders is a good part of the problem. Also, people generally like to forget or ignore their own culpability.

Alas, holds are part of the landscape these days. My wife had an anti-terrorism hold put on $15,000 she was moving between two accounts she owned (this was 10 years ago). There was a recent thread here from somebody that had HSBC put a hold on an account after a $9,000 deposit (perhaps treated as suspicious because it was just below the $10,000 mandatory reporting limit). It's possible, even likely, that some banks are more wary than others, but measuring the differences is likely difficult (few people will have problems, and people who do will tend to be over-represented in a voluntary sample).
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

I have them both. I generally prefer Ally however recently learned (while I was abroad) that Ally's debit card dings us with a 1% mastercard foreign transaction fee on withdrawals. Cap One 360 does not. So for me, I will never use Allys debit card abroad now - meaning Cap One would be the winner if I was only choosing one checking account.

But since they are free to open with no minimums or fees - I keep two (well actually 4) and use them for what they are good at.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
Kingston73

Post by Kingston73 »

I was going to ask this in a new thread but thought it might be better to bump up this year old one. The wife and I are looking to get rid of Bank of America and right now these 2 are at the top of the list. We are interested in getting a checking and savings account, mainly unhappy with BOA because of all the fees.

We rarely use cash but there are no Cap1 atms or banks any where in our area. From what I’ve read Ally is free atm usage. Has anything changed between these 2 in a year? Still equal? Better options than either of these?
Kingston73

Post by Kingston73 »

I was going to ask this in a new thread but thought it might be better to bump up this year old one. The wife and I are looking to get rid of Bank of America and right now these 2 are at the top of the list. We are interested in getting a checking and savings account, mainly unhappy with BOA because of all the fees.

We rarely use cash but there are no Cap1 atms or banks any where in our area. From what I’ve read Ally is free atm usage. Has anything changed between these 2 in a year? Still equal? Better options than either of these?
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I believe both have no fees for Allpoint ATMs. I googled out of curiosity and I see 4 Allpoint ATMs within walking distance of my house in a not particularly walkable location. I've been very happy with Ally savings and CDs, but I don't have checking or use debit.

I do think there can be some benefit to having an account at a brick and mortar bank, but there is no reason to pay any fees for it.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

You might take a look at www.depositaccounts.com to review local options in your area as well. My long-time credit union has poor savings rates, but I found another solid local option which is very close to Ally/CapOne rates. I don't tend to worry too much about the interest rate on checking accounts, but if I'm parking any significant amount of cash, I want some good options. The CapOne account setup has been a bit more clumsy and slow than I expected.
kazper

Post by kazper »

I have been with Ally for around 5 years. Over that time, I've had maybe one "hiccup" which dealt with opening a new account for my wife. Something about paperwork being lost or something, but a quick call (seriously, they usually pick up within 2 minutes or fewer) and everything was resolved.

They have great rates (over 1% for savings), easily reachable customer service- US based I believe, and free ATMs (they recently set a limit, I think).

One of the big selling points for me was the ability to open a subaccount without having to deposit funds. That allows me to distribute money for various purposes (vacation, spending accounts, etc.) fairly easily without having to go somewhere and fill out a bunch of paperwork.

If I had to find a downside to them, it can take money a while to be transferred outside or in. They have been working on this, reducing wait times to around 2 days. This usually isn't an issue for me, but I make sure to keep some extra money easily accessible in case there's an immediate need that cannot wait for 1+day transfer times.
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

kazper wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:27 pm If I had to find a downside to them, it can take money a while to be transferred outside or in. They have been working on this, reducing wait times to around 2 days. This usually isn't an issue for me, but I make sure to keep some extra money easily accessible in case there's an immediate need that cannot wait for 1+day transfer times.
I have accounts with both Ally and Capital One 360, and for my experience Ally transfer money faster. I almost always get a day turnaround for Ally, vs. 3-4 days for funds availability for Capital One 360. However, currently Capital One 360 has a slightly better interest rate (1.20% vs 1.15% at Ally).
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Hey I just checked and Ally up to 1.2%! I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this.
susa

Post by susa »

CIT Bank has 1.30 % and a 100.00 bonus.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-ban ... t-bonuses/
golfer292

ABOUT READY TO LEAVE CAPITAL ONE

Post by golfer292 »

I opened a Capital One money market account a few months ago with the expectation that they would resolve the beneficiary issue. Today I talked with their customer service. They are still working on it he said. Capone still will not allow me to add my daughter as a beneficiary. I was advised that the only option is to add her as a secondary account holder and she would also have to be a Capone account holder, Looking back at prior posts, they have been refusing beneficiaries several years. The csr i spoke with said its because of internet banking regulations. That can't be true if other internet banks allow beneficiaries. Any suggestions where I should move to?