Need help getting Gmail back

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Need help getting Gmail back

Post by Rick Ferri »

I need help with Gmail. I changed my password but had forgotten to first change my phone number used in the 2-step verification process. Now I cant log on because the code is being sent to an old number. I tried everything Google suggested, including sending in an Account Recovery form 7 days ago. I received an email through Yahoo from Google stating the process will take 3-5 business days, but have received nothing so far. I tried calling for help, but only got messages and instructions to go the web before the computer hung up.

Does anyone know a phone number for Google where I can actually talk with a human being who can help me?

Thanks
Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Phil1234

Re: Need help getting Gmail back

Post by Phil1234 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you know your current password, but can't log in because you can't get the 2 factor authentication code. Is that correct?

When you set up your 2 factor authentication, did you receive a list of 10 backup verification codes? When I set up mine, it provided me that list and I saved it off. If you have those saved (which you should), then when Google asks you for your Authenticator code, you can indicate that you want to use a backup code instead. Enter the backup code and you can log into your account and set up 2 factor authentication on your new phone.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I do not have the codes.

Rick
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
G12

Post by G12 »

Phil1234

Post by Phil1234 »

Do you know if you set up a separate recovery email address within Google?

When you try to log into Google, have you tried indicating that you forgot or don't know your current password? I haven't tried this myself, but it might give you an option to have a reset email sent to your recovery email address. Then you may be able to use that to get into your account without the two factor. Not sure though. Hope this helps!
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

As a last resort, you could try calling your old phone number and ask the new owner if he can read the verification code from google.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Phil1234 wrote:Do you know if you set up a separate recovery email address within Google?

When you try to log into Google, have you tried indicating that you forgot or don't know your current password? I haven't tried this myself, but it might give you an option to have a reset email sent to your recovery email address. Then you may be able to use that to get into your account without the two factor. Not sure though. Hope this helps!
I did this, and changed my password, but was then unable to logon without a verification code, which was sent to my old number.

Rick
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

jayjayc wrote:As a last resort, you could try calling your old phone number and ask the new owner if he can read the verification code from google.
The number was a business phone, which is no longer in use by anyone.

Rick
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Gethuman says there is no human to talk to at Google, so good luck.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Rick Ferri wrote:
jayjayc wrote:As a last resort, you could try calling your old phone number and ask the new owner if he can read the verification code from google.
The number was a business phone, which is no longer in use by anyone.

Rick
Can you add that number as a ring-mate number to one of your current phone numbers (if your phone service(s) have this capability)?
Then cancel the add-on, so you'll pay for only one month's service?

Are you concerned that the regular gmail process isn't going to work at all, or is taking longer than you want/need?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

Probably not worth it. But if you remember the phone company and no one is using the number you may be able to contact the phone company to get a new line using that number.

Regards
QJ
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Gethuman says there is no human to talk to at Google, so good luck.
I don't know if this would work: buy a very cheap prepaid phone and activate it using the old phone number?
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 108AAtYfHw
I don't know how precious the gmail address is to you, so this may be too much time/ hassle/ money.
Last edited by mhalley on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

Sadly Google has terrible customer service. I know because it took them over 2 months to give me a refund on my AdWords account, after dozens of emails and phone calls.

I would suggest posting in their Gmail Help Forums:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/gmail
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I can't post to the help forum and ask for help signing in unless I'm signed into Gmail, and I can't sign in.

Rick Ferri
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

Rick Ferri wrote:I can't post to the help forum and ask for help signing in unless I'm signed into Gmail, and I can't sign in.

Rick Ferri
Create a new account to sign in to gmail to post
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

This must be very frustrating. Classic Catch 22….
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

qwertyjazz wrote:
Rick Ferri wrote:I can't post to the help forum and ask for help signing in unless I'm signed into Gmail, and I can't sign in.

Rick Ferri
Create a new account to sign in to gmail to post
Did this. Thanks. We'll see if it helps.

Rick
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

The account recovery form can be resubmitted with different information.

There is no one at Google to speak to about this which is a big drawback in using a free service.

Best and easiest solution would be to get the old phone number if you can, as others have said.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

I would put more effort into getting back the phone number than trying to ask Google to let you in. Call the phone company and try to re-activate that line. Pay 1 month's of service if absolutely necessary. If this is your main email account shared with your friends and family, I think it's worth the expense.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Looks like you've tried everything, so you're in Google's hands now.

Just in case you've overlooked something, I haven't seen mentioned yet is whether you might have left Gmail logged into a device that you had forgotten about. Consider any desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, and even smart TV devices that might still be logged into your Gmail account. I have half a dozen and have to deal with the security issues of losing any one of them. There's also the possibility that you tagged one of the devices as a trusted device and it still lets you log in without using 2 factors.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

James Fallows wrote about his experience trying to recover his wife's gmail account and emails after it was hacked. He was successful in recovering all the emails. It seemed to have helped that he knew several bigwigs at Google, including Eric Schmidt. It didn't hurt that his son also worked there.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ed/308673/
I started backing up my gmail account locally with Thunderbird after reading this article.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

For future reference, keep a copy of the backup codes. Also, use the Google Authenticator app for 2 factor authentication instead of texts. Also, you can designate more than one phone number for verification.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

This is probably just short of a miracle - Google looked at my issue, reset my password and I was able recovered all my lost email!

:sharebeer

Rick Ferri
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

That is very encouraging! Thanks for the update.

Is this something that stemmed from your initial inquiry to Account Recovery or did you get their attention some other way?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Rick Ferri wrote:This is probably just short of a miracle - Google looked at my issue, reset my password and I was able recovered all my lost email!
Did the "account recovery form" finally get Google's attention? It's a good thing then.

You may have done that already, but you want to have more than one device that will receive the code. I was glad that I could have the code sent to another email address instead of my cell phone when I was out of the country and my cell phone did not work in another country.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Wow, glad to hear you got your account back!
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

HueyLD wrote:
Rick Ferri wrote:This is probably just short of a miracle - Google looked at my issue, reset my password and I was able recovered all my lost email!
Did the "account recovery form" finally get Google's attention? It's a good thing then.
Yes. Im now convinced there is a Google God.

Rick
matjen

Post by matjen »

Rick Ferri wrote: Yes. Im now convinced there is a Google God.

Rick
That knows everything there is to know about you. ;-) A price of progress I am willing to pay.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I'm very pleased this issue was resolved for you.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

And you immediately updated the phone number used for 2FA? 8-)
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Just as an FYI for anyone experiencing this in the future, it is frustrating that it takes so long to get a legitimate reset on your account when you have accidentally locked yourself out. But this is for your own good. It prevents attackers from faking account reset requests in order to break into your account. Rest assured that it is better for the company to take their time investigating the request, rather than instantly assume that the request is legitimate. This helps prevent social engineering attacks against your account. Have patience throughout the process and provide all data requested.

As a contrast, look what happened when Facebook did not exercise such caution when they received a fake account reset request: https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... ook_email/
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

Print out a set of backup codes now.
The first thing I do whenever I setup 2 factor authentication is print out the backup codes. It's the only way to be sure you won't get locked out accidentally.