What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 »

We are watching Fatal Attraction on Netflix. Believe it or not, we never saw it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Re watched The Revenant tonight. The opening scene gave me shades of the beginning of Saving Private Ryan circa 1823. Chilling.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

Silenced: on Amazon. The movie "Enemy of the State" comes to mind.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Just finished watching Water Diviner about an hour ago. Russsell Crowe plays an Australian father who goes to Gallipoli after WW I to search for the bodies of his three sons who died in the battle.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Just got the home theater sound system working again, so it's musicals.

Mama Mia, a movie musical about a wedding, set on a Greek island, and built around ABBA songs.

Singing in the Rain, with Gene Kelly, Donald O'Conner and Debbie Fisher, one of the first movie musicals.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

Valuethinker wrote:
amateurnovice wrote:Black Hawk Down (2001) Josh Hartnett, Eric Bana, Jason Isaacs, Tom Sizemore, William Fichtner, Ewan McGregor, Tom Hardy, Sam Shepard, Orlando Bloom. Ensemble cast playing the story of the Battle of Mogadishu in 1993. Directed by Ridley Scott. This is one of my favorite war movies, but it is a war junkie's movie, much like Full Metal Jacket. If you're one that doesn't like war action or can't stand some blood and guts on screen, then don't watch it. It also portrays Somalis in a negative light; they're either gun-toting warlords or starving to death. The UN is also not given its due as it provided more support than the movie depicts. It's a moving story one way or another, but there are parts to it that are unbelievable. 4/5
I think Full Metal Jacket is bigger than that-- lives with you more, and tackles broader themes. I would put Black Hawk Down more in the "Hamburger Hill" category.

BHD I think misses the crazy courage of the Somali tribesmen (OK, Qat induced, but still brave to go against US helicopters) and also the history between the Americans and that tribe, that led to the disaster.
I agree somewhat but BHD isn't like Hamburger Hill. BHD is more of an action movie than HH. HH rode the wave of Vietnam movies that Platoon brought about, just like FMJ, Platoon Leader, Casualties of War, Born on the Fourth of July, etc. Look at that, Stone banked off that phenomenon twice.

Anyway, Platoon is my favorite war movie. I think Apocalypse Now is vastly overrated even though it's the most epic Vietnam movie ever, but sitting through three and a half hours of Martin Sheen voice-overs is a war in and of itself. FMJ has a niche because of Kubrick but also that first half of the movie with Gomer Pyle. It just really challenges you to accept the fact that certain people no matter if we have a mandatory service or not shouldn't be thrown into battle against their will. He broke the first day; the blanket party just brought it home. The second half is more of a movie whereas that first half is a Milgram experiment gone wrong.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We watched "Promise Land" on Netflix with Matt Damon.

Very good and enjoyed the movie.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Also watched "The Bank Job" on Netflix. Based on actual events regarding the British government in the 1970's!

Not bad.
moshe

Post by moshe »

The Talented Mr. Ripley - enjoyed by DW and I. 4.0 stars.

The Equalizer - 2.25 stars - very violent.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
jclarke805

Post by jclarke805 »

Wild with Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern. Young woman who hates her life decides to hike 1100 mi thru California and Oregon.

I thought it was pretty good though the constant flashbacks to her miserable life and the death of her mother were at times disconcerting.

Reese was not completely believeable as a 26 year old (she is 38) and the mother-daughter thing didn't seem quite right since Laura is only 9 yrs older though both were quite good.

I did like that Reese did not play the hiker as some poor victim. She played her as edgy with a touch of nastiness.
The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I Walk The Line (1970), Gregory Peck, Tuesday Weld(!). Southern sheriff (Peck), who is married, has a midlife crisis and falls for a moonshiner's daughter (Weld) with disastrous results. Music by Johnny Cash. I enjoyed it.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I am not reporting a movie this time, but a new North American stage tour of the musical Phantom of the Opera. http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/ust ... -schedule/ I have seen the stage production 3 times now. This one which I saw today is really special....everything about it...actors, dancers, singers, orchestra, sets, staging, and special effects. This is as good as Broadway, if not better. If it comes to your area, take someone special with you to experience it. You will not be disappointed. This is their upcoming schedule for this year:
5/4/16 - 5/15/16 Indianapolis, IN, Murat Theatre
5/18/16 - 5/29/16 Grand Rapids, MI, DeVos Performance Hall
6/1/16 - 6/12/16 Louisville, KY, The Kentucky Center
6/15/16 - 7/10/16 Cleveland, OH, State Theatre
7/13/16 - 8/20/16 Washington, DC, The Kennedy Center
8/25/16 - 9/11/16 Denver, CO, Buell Hall
9/15/16 - 10/2/16 San Jose, CA, San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
10/5/16 - 10/16/16 Fresno, CA, Saroyan Theatre
10/20/16 - 10/30/16 Fort Worth, TX, Bass Performance Hall
11/15/16 - 11/27/16 Cincinnati, OH, Procter & Gamble Hall
11/29/16 - 12/11/16 Toledo, OH, Stranahan Theater
12/14/16 - 1/8/17 Chicago, IL, Cadillac Palace Theatre
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Creed. I liked it.

Last week, I watched The Revenant. The movie was a strong reminder of The Last of the Mohicans, but a different war in a different part of the country. At first, I wasn't impressed. However, it grows on you as the story unfolds.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

The Dish (2001) about a small Australian town and their key role in the Apollo 11 moon landing. Loved it. Did not see it on US Netflix. Amazon video has it as a rental. I found the DVD in my local library.

Rotten tomatoes page on the dish: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dish/
Wiki
Zosi

Post by Zosi »

An oldie but a goodie, 'Saving Private Ryan' over the Easter long weekend. Lest we forget. :beer
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Star Wars The Force Awakens.

"Meh" = my review.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Some 2015 releases on the Cruise we took last week. :? Their room TV's stink, 2010 vintage. I am guessing that cruise company want you out of room and spending credits. :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Just watched Steve Jobs with Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs. To me it was, different, more sophisticated movie watchers seem to like it a lot. I prefer some of the other movies that have been made about Jobs and Apple, even better I prefer the book Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

Eye in the Sky - A really important movie that more people need to see. It's about a joint British American drone operation. It's very well done. A good movie that makes you think.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

itstoomuch wrote:Their room TV's stink, 2010 vintage.
Never in a million years expected a comment like that. It's a good think you were not around in 1955…. :P
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

retiredjg wrote:
itstoomuch wrote:Their room TV's stink, 2010 vintage.
Never in a million years expected a comment like that. It's a good think you were not around in 1955…. :P
The TV's were still on NTSC standard, with interference. Mono.
I was around in 1955. Our first TV. :annoyed
Our first cruise. It was fun. I saw the movies before except for the "Theory of Everything" (Stephen Hawkings). Late night TV anyway .
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

itstoomuch wrote: ...I was around in 1955. Our first TV. :annoyed...
For someone who spent the first decade of his life listening to radio our first TV somewhere around 1950 was like a miracle.
Last edited by cheese_breath on Mon May 09, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

Into the Wild (2007) Emile Hirsch. Directed by Sean Penn this film based on the 1996 book which is based on articles written about Christopher McCandless, a young man that hitchhiked to the middle of the Alaskan bush to escape civilization and live simply, much like Thoreau described in Walden. While Penn does take some artistic liberties with the film that weren't in the book or even true to the story of McCandless himself, it's a decent movie. I see it in the same category as Grizzly Man (2005; Werner Herzog). It's basically a story about a naive human that thinks he can just go out and live how he wants to in nature without provisions or planning. Things don't always go as planned when dealing with nature. 3/5 (4/5 for Grizzly Man)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Outlaw, with Jane Russell and Walter Huston. Doc Holiday and Billy the Kid contend for a fickle woman and a faithful horse in 1870s Lincoln, New Mexico. I had no idea that the movie was a comedy.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
moshe

Post by moshe »

The Big Short - just wow. See this and diversify or just invest in water :-)
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Kilo 2 Bravo, very good movie showing the reality of war and the closeness soldiers get in combat.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Saw two this past week..."Jungle Book" and "Captain America: Civil War". The kids and I give two thumbs up to both.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

ruralavalon wrote:The Outlaw, with Jane Russell and Walter Huston. Doc Holiday and Billy the Kid contend for a fickle woman and a faithful horse in 1870s Lincoln, New Mexico. I had no idea that the movie was a comedy.
And to think, The Outlaw was banned in many cities when it was introduced, but where it was shown it was adults only. Times have changed.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
kleej

Post by kleej »

DSInvestor wrote:The Dish (2001) about a small Australian town and their key role in the Apollo 11 moon landing. Loved it. Did not see it on US Netflix. Amazon video has it as a rental. I found the DVD in my local library.

Rotten tomatoes page on the dish: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dish/
Loved the dish
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Sheepdog wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:The Outlaw, with Jane Russell and Walter Huston. Doc Holiday and Billy the Kid contend for a fickle woman and a faithful horse in 1870s Lincoln, New Mexico. I had no idea that the movie was a comedy.
And to think, The Outlaw was banned in many cities when it was introduced....
Totally understandable. I remember lusting over Jane Russell in my pre-teen years. Don't tell me you didn't too Sheep. :wink:
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watching "Hitler & The Nazis" on Netflix. Five 1 hour episodes. I have learned a lot.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

CoAndy wrote:Saw two this past week..."Jungle Book" and "Captain America: Civil War". The kids and I give two thumbs up to both.
I enjoyed both of those, too.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Deadpool. An R-rated dark comedy parody of the previous Marvel character movies. It has everything you'd expect from a Marvel movie, including a ton of action scenes. It kept me interested, but I wasn't impressed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

moshe wrote:The Big Short - just wow. See this and diversify or just invest in water :-)
I can recommend "Margin Call" (Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons) as the perfect counterpoint-- this is what life was like *inside* those banks when it hit the fan.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

abuss368 wrote:Watching "Hitler & The Nazis" on Netflix. Five 1 hour episodes. I have learned a lot.
The History Channel is known in the trade as "The Nazi Channel" for the prevalence of documentaries about Nazi Germany related topics ;-).

I can recommend an old BBC documentary "The Nazis: a warning from history" if you can track it down.

Also there was a series on the origins of WW2, takes you through each of the combatants and their political situation up to entering the war: US, Japan, Germany, Italy etc. That too was full of insights (based on a book by Richard J Overy, the doyen of air war historians).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

rrppve wrote:Eye in the Sky - A really important movie that more people need to see. It's about a joint British American drone operation. It's very well done. A good movie that makes you think.
And the late, and very great, Alan Rickman's last film role. I keep expecting him to burst out "find me this John McClane" though ;-). (Die Hard)
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

"A Beautiful Planet" -- way too short documentary on the view from the space station, with Imax and 3-D.

I could have watched these scenes all day long and never gotten tired, but all they give you for $10 is 50 minutes.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

LadyGeek wrote:Deadpool. An R-rated dark comedy parody of the previous Marvel character movies. It has everything you'd expect from a Marvel movie, including a ton of action scenes. It kept me interested, but I wasn't impressed.
Marvel is anxious to grab hold of an older demographic for its MCU films (Marvel Comics Universe). Deadpool appeals to a male, politically incorrect audience. Generally it feels out of character with the general thrust of MCU.*

The Civil War/ Captain America thread has more movies to go and, contractually, they found a way to bring in Spiderman (Fox I think owns the rights to the Spiderman franchise, stand alone). The X Men reboot seems to be finding its feet (after a disastrous tailing off of the original series). Avengers is logistically complex (the schedules and careers of too many big name actors) but it's a success. On TV I don't know about Agents of Shield but Agent Carter was well received, I think.

Dr. Strange will be tough (one controversy, about the Tilda Swinton role and the choice of that actress for an Asian part, already) to make work, but they do have a very big name actor (Benedict Cumberbatch) who will exert a lot of draw if it's not a turkey.

Black Panther has a huge weight of expectations behind it-- fingers crossed for the film. They have said they will do a Black Widow film-- hurrah! Scarlett Johanson (sp?) needs a platform to develop that character.

These movies fail if they are just about lots of explosions and combat. They have to have character tension and development-- one thing most of the original films (the Tim Burton Batman, the reboot, the original X Men, the Toby McGuire Spiderman) managed. Of course they always waste time with the "origins" story.

* MCU by its nature is lighter hearted than the equivalent DC universe. Of course AFAIK DC is yet to create a successful film *other than* the Batman franchise reboot-- which was very dark at times. DC seems to be doing much better with its TV offerings: Arrow, The Flash, (Legends of Tomorrow - haven't heard enough about that one, the "teaser" was very promising, group of misfits try to save time itself, promising character tensions), Gotham.

Suicide Squad is their effort to grab the more adult market-- the trailer didn't impress me.

There is supposed to be an Aquaman film out there, and I had a sense it is turning into the turkey of all time, and they are struggling to fix it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Valuethinker wrote:Marvel is anxious to grab hold of an older demographic for its MCU films (Marvel Comics Universe). Deadpool appeals to a male, politically incorrect audience. Generally it feels out of character with the general thrust of MCU.*
I fully agree - I didn't mention that the song tracks were targeted to the older demographic. Another irritation was the main character infrequently speaking to the camera - a strong hint this was not a serious movie.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Viewed Pulp Fiction for about the 6th time last night. Can't seem to get enough of that flick. Travolta's best.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
moshe

Post by moshe »

Valuethinker wrote:
moshe wrote:The Big Short - just wow. See this and diversify or just invest in water :-)
I can recommend "Margin Call" (Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons) as the perfect counterpoint-- this is what life was like *inside* those banks when it hit the fan.
Thank you!
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Just watched Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine. I really like this version of the Jobs Apple story. Real footage and interviews and telling it like it is.
peppers

Post by peppers »

In the Heart of the Sea directed by Ron Howard

The story begins in 1850 with the young writer Herman Melville interviewing the last survivor of the ill fated whaling ship Essex lost at sea in the 1820's. A tale of hardship and survival and how far men can be pushed to go on and on. This was the inspiration for the book Moby Dick.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Stumbled across Princess Bride (again) last night. It met my inflated expectations for the Nth time. For me, this is one of those movies that, when you stumble across it, you can't stop watching.

As Grandpa (Peter Falk) explains:
  • "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles..."
And that's not all!
  • "I know something you don't know ... I'm not left handed!"
    "It just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead."
    "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
    "Throw him in the Pit of Despair."
    "Inconceivable!"
    "As you wish."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
plumberboy

Post by plumberboy »

The Revenant
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Money Monster. It works as a smooth, fast and funny thriller, not as an indictment of the financial industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/movie ... oster.html
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Valuethinker wrote:
Yes, Margin Call is the perfect counterpoint to "Short" in the "inside" sense and it did capture the inside drama that I've read about in some books on the crisis. The opening of "Margin" where a young trader discovers for the first time the magnitude of the losses reminded me of the prologue of the book All the Devils Are Here by Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera. In the book, a brilliant but demoted (of course) risk manager at Merrill Lynch discovers the magnitude of the losses by asking around and doing some back-of-the-envelope figuring. When CEO Stan O'Neal hears about this, he calls the guy in and learns the truth for the first time. Amazing, stunning.

I know this is a movie thread, but yet another good "inside" book on the crisis is House of Cards by William D. Cohan.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Watched the first 2 seasons of "Broadchurch" a British detective series on Netflix.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Spanish Cape Mystery, with Helen Twelvetrees. Ellery Queen goes to the California coast for vacation, and murders begin at the neighboring mansion.

And Then There Were None, with Walter Huston. An Agatha Christie mystery about 10 people spending the weekend at an island mansion, and the murders begin.

Completely frivolous old movies, I recommend them.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote:Stumbled across Princess Bride (again) last night. It met my inflated expectations for the Nth time. For me, this is one of those movies that, when you stumble across it, you can't stop watching.

As Grandpa (Peter Falk) explains:
  • "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles..."
And that's not all!
  • "I know something you don't know ... I'm not left handed!"
    "It just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead."
    "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
    "Throw him in the Pit of Despair."
    "Inconceivable!"
    "As you wish."
A classic romance, everyone should watch this movie.

Speaking of Peter Falk, everyone should see these parodies of classic movies --
Murder by Death, and
The Cheap Detective.