What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fallible

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Fallible »

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Akerlof, G.A. and Shiller, R.J."Phishing for Phools".

On 17 December 2015, I attended Akerlof's and Shiller's presentation of the book at the Smithsonian. That was my fist time in the presence of two Nobel prize laureates at the same time. I came in early and sat in the front row. Akerlof and I have exchanged some smiles before he started and later he took my question.
Victoria
Victoria, how did the presentation go? Were they asked what was really new in the book? I've read only a Kindle sample while awaiting the library book, but it seemed they were anticipating readers would wonder this. Want to share your question to Akerlof and his answer with us?

Fallible
Hi Fallible,

I was highly attuned to the presentation and was catching interesting bits. For example, Shiller mentioned that Jason Zweig said that it's remarkable that Akerlof and Shiller co-authored books twice (the first one was Animal Spirits). Shiller also made several book recommendations including Ariely's The Honest Truth About Dishonesty and Dean Buonomano's Brain Bugs. He seemed uncomfortable marketing his own book and tried to focus on the message that the card deck is stacked against a consumer.

Shiller gave tribute to Akerlof's work citing his papers "Market for Lemons" and "The Economics of Caste and of the Rat Race." He referred to John Kenneth Galbraith's The Affluent Society. He mentioned a new free electronic journal eLife that contrasts itself with Nature and Science, the latter being expensive and popularizing.

My question was "Much of the presentation is about what the Phishers do. Do you also explain Phools' behavior?" I was interested in cognitive biases, but Shiller's response was about policy. He said that many people need financial advice and are not getting it. He recommends making expenses on financial advisers a tax credit, rather than an itemized deduction, because most people who need financial advice don't itemize. I responded that many financial advisers do more harm than good. Shiller responded that unfortunately they don't have the same ethics code as doctors do, but did not elaborate any further.
Victoria
Good question about the "Phools" side of it and good to see mention of Ariely's "Dishonesty" book and Buonomano's "Brain Bugs." I read the Ariely book, but hadn't heard of "Brain Bugs" - now on my list. Also not heard of eLife, the electronic journal, and the idea of the tax credit for advisor expenses is really interesting and I wonder whether that will be achieved.

Thanks for the report. :thumbsup
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Currently enjoying A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel

Recently finished The Boglehead's Guide to Investing by Landauer, Larimore, LeBoeuf and The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle

The Clash of the Cultures: Investment Vs. Speculation by John C. Bogle looks good.
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham is sitting on the book shelf looking lonely.
0+2=1
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

bertilak wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:Buchan is significantly earlier than the others. It's a bit like complaining a crime writer isn't any good compared to Hammett and Chandler, if he wrote *before* Hammett and Chandler.
Right, I didn't mean it to sound quite so much like criticism, just noting my opinion! Right, Bond is direct descendant of Hannay.

I've only read a couple of Ambler's. Quite different. Protagonist is not a superman. Could be you or me.
My apologies if my reply was too harsh!

Reading Buchan has a charm not because of literary merit, but because of some of the scenarios and the way it sits in the development of the spy thriller.

Spy thrillers have that tension between the "he man" like Buchan and down to James Bond (and beyond) and the Amblerian ones. And you are right about Ambler-- he put the ordinary man into the spy thriller. Alan Furst is doing a kind of homage to Ambler-- not always successful, but immaculately researched.

Tom Clancy is also probably a linear successor to Fleming and Buchan (Bond and Hannay).

Len Deighton also, although his characters are more Ambler-esque. But the Harry Palmer series (the Michael Caine movie was pretty good, too).

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/len-deighton/

Le Carre takes it somewhere else-- into the moral ambiguity of the world of intelligence. I wouldn't call Smiley "ordinary" but he is a man caught up in a much bigger machine. Yet those novels (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People; and the masterful BBC adaptations with Alec Guinness) also humanize the spy thriller.

Gavin Lyall (who did a bit of the "he man" eg his interest in guns and his background as a pilot) at the end of his career went back and created 2 spies at the beginning of the British spy service- -with all the problems like no budget, etc.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/gavin-lyall/ ("Honour")

For cerebral spy thrillers with strong interlinks to history, I loved Antony Price, and was sorry he never finished the Dr. David Audley series.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/anthony-price/
timmy

Post by timmy »

http://www.amazon.com/The-Obstacle--Way ... 1591846358

Stoic view on turning problems/ obstacles into opportunities. Quick read without feeling too much like chewing bubble gum.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941 - 1942, by Ian W. Toll.

The book covers the pre-war development of Japan, naval history in the U.S. including Admiral Mahan and President Theodore Roosevelt, and history of the war in the Pacific through the Battle of Midway. It's not just a history of battles, but includes lots of context including: politics and arguments about military strategy and planning in both Japan and the U.S.; disputes over signals intelligence in the U.S.; and the war outside of the Pacific.

I am not quite finished with this book, but do recommend it. It is apparently the first of a three book series.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Samir Okasha, Philosophy of Science: A Very Short Introduction. "A very short" in the title is deceiving: while the book is physically short it's a long read. And it's a fascinating read. I have never imagined that philosophy of science has so many facets.

For example, I was familiar with Thomas Kuhn's concept of paradigm shifts and scientific revolutions, but have not read his work. This book reviews Kuhn's ideas, provides his critics' responses, and Kuhn's responses to the critics. The concept that science jumps to new paradigms is easy to accept for anyone familiar with the impact of Copernicus, Darwin, or Einstein. But I had no idea that Kuhn claimed that paradigm shift is not a rational activity, that there is no objective standard for comparing paradigms, and that science does not move in a linear fashion from lesser to greater truth.

Kuhn justified these outrages claims with two types of arguments:
1. Competing paradigms are incommensurable, meaning that they don't have a common language or common standards. For example, "mass" has a different meaning to Newton and Einstein, and thus their theories cannot be directly compared.
2. Data are theory-laden, meaning that data are contaminated by theoretical assumptions and cannot serve as a neutral basis for comparing paradigms.

One interesting consequence of Kuhn's ideas is that theories and paradigms with the most forceful advocates win. I am familiar with the academic competition, and particularly in the field of Behavioral Economics after reading Thaler's Misbehaving. But I looked at these as ego-career-tenure induced road blocks on the path to the ultimate truth. Now, it appears that triumph of scientific theories is survival of the fittest fighters rather than the best substances.

I am sure that for many Bogleheads these are not news, but I am shocked.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Wolf Gift, by Anne Rice. A modern day "wolf man" with an interesting perspective. This book has a dichotomy of "like it" and "hate it" reviews, there's not much in between.

The opening starts off somewhat predictably, but it picks up once the plot line is established. Anne Rice knows how to write. This is not her best work, but it's keeping me in suspense. I have the sequel ready to go.

Those wanting an introduction to Anne Rice should try Interview with the Vampire.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Just finished Jerry Oppenheimer's latest book "RFK Jr...." Kinda disappointing, the early reviews promised there would be new dirt on the Kennedys, especially Ethel. But didn't really deliver the goods, except for the minute details of how she stiffed the restaurant in Illinois on the bill for the rehearsal dinner for son's first wedding.
Most chapters were devoted to how carefully RFK Jr. tried to conceal facts, deceive readers of his own auto-bio with pretty glaring distortions of what really took place. Particularly concerning his heroin use, subsequent arrests, suicide of 2nd wife, and on and on.
However, anyone who bought into his phony baloney about being an "environmental rights" champion, so passionate and devoted to conservation efforts, someone to be admired, etc, should read it anyway. To find out the real story behind the Kennedy façade.
jdb

Post by jdb »

drawpoker wrote:Just finished Jerry Oppenheimer's latest book "RFK Jr...." Kinda disappointing, the early reviews promised there would be new dirt on the Kennedys, especially Ethel. But didn't really deliver the goods, except for the minute details of how she stiffed the restaurant in Illinois on the bill for the rehearsal dinner for son's first wedding.
Most chapters were devoted to how carefully RFK Jr. tried to conceal facts, deceive readers of his own auto-bio with pretty glaring distortions of what really took place. Particularly concerning his heroin use, subsequent arrests, suicide of 2nd wife, and on and on.
However, anyone who bought into his phony baloney about being an "environmental rights" champion, so passionate and devoted to conservation efforts, someone to be admired, etc, should read it anyway. To find out the real story behind the Kennedy façade.
With all due respect find it hard to believe that so called authors are writing exposes of someone assassinated over 45 years ago and even more unbelievable that people are actually buying and reading such works. Rehearsal dinner invoices? Let him rest in peace. Far more important to focus on current political figures. How about The Donald?
Last edited by jdb on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

jdb wrote: Far more important to focus on current political figures. How about The Donald?
According to Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:Donald's two dominant personality traits are his short temper and his positive outlook on life. Many Donald shorts start with Donald in a happy mood, without a care in the world until something comes along and spoils his day. His anger is a great cause of suffering in his life. On multiple occasions, it has caused him to get in over his head and lose competitions. There are times when he fights to keep his temper, and he sometimes succeeds in doing so temporarily, but he always returns to his normal angry self in the end.
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
jdb

Post by jdb »

VictoriaF wrote:
jdb wrote: Far more important to focus on current political figures. How about The Donald?
According to Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:Donald's two dominant personality traits are his short temper and his positive outlook on life. Many Donald shorts start with Donald in a happy mood, without a care in the world until something comes along and spoils his day. His anger is a great cause of suffering in his life. On multiple occasions, it has caused him to get in over his head and lose competitions. There are times when he fights to keep his temper, and he sometimes succeeds in doing so temporarily, but he always returns to his normal angry self in the end.
Victoria
Good one Victoria. Sounds like someone in the media spotlight today.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Just started Phishing for Phools: The Economics of Manipulation and Deception, George A. Akerlof & Robert J. Shiller. It looks as if it is going to be very, very interesting. But did traditional economists truly not understand that the market can reward manipulation and deception?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

nisiprius wrote:Just started Phishing for Phools: The Economics of Manipulation and Deception, George A. Akerlof & Robert J. Shiller. It looks as if it is going to be very, very interesting. But did traditional economists truly not understand that the market can reward manipulation and deception?
It's not that they did not understand it but, rather, they thought it unnecessary to include manipulation and deception in their models. It's similar to the development of the Internet. ARPANET did not include any provisions for combating computer exploits, and computer security is being implemented as necessary. As computer security is being added, it creates conflicts between the need to catch crooks and the need to protect decent citizens.

It's easy to ridicule conventional economists while reading books written by behavioral economists (something I am prone to), but they also have a point. Standard economics aimed to develop models that were (a) simple and (b) predictive, while ignoring the psychology of the economic agents. These models were working reasonably OK. Economists started paying attention to psychology only after psychologists introduced models that were making even better predictions.

Victoria
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

jdb wrote:With all due respect find it hard to believe that so called authors are writing exposes of someone assassinated over 45 years ago and even more unbelievable that people are actually buying and reading such works. Rehearsal dinner invoices? Let him rest in peace. .....
No, no. You misunderstood. The Oppenheimer book is about Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Not the father killed in 1968 following Calif. primary.
Jerry Oppenheimer, btw, is a very respected and highly regarded American author, with an impressive resume of previous books under his belt. Not a "so-called" author by any stretch.
If you take the time to read the book, you will discover the intent was to show how the assassination of the father in '68 had such tragic effects on the older sons, esp. RFK Jr. and his late brothers David (dead by drug overdose) and Michael (killed in ski accident) And how cruel and uncaring the mother( Ethel Kennedy) was, and pretty much well documents her part in how the lives of her older children played out after their father's sudden death.
TimDex

Post by TimDex »

VT...thanks for the Gavin Lyall recommendation. Just started secret servant, very good, well written.

Also have started something entirely different... A book to carry me through a long winter and into spring most likely: Republics, Ancient and Modern, by Paul A. Rahe, a professor at Hillsdale. An examination of political philosophy in Greece, early modern Europe and the young American republic. Very dense, best taken about five pages or so at a time, but I like it very much. Not in print, the hardcover used runs about 40 on Amazon, and is a real 1200 page door stopper of a book. Wish it were in kindle so it would be easier to physically handle, but it's worth the tennis elbow.

Tim
Last edited by TimDex on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ruralavalon wrote:Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941 - 1942, by Ian W. Toll.

The book covers the pre-war development of Japan, naval history in the U.S. including Admiral Mahan and President Theodore Roosevelt, and history of the war in the Pacific through the Battle of Midway. It's not just a history of battles, but includes lots of context including: politics and arguments about military strategy and planning in both Japan and the U.S.; disputes over signals intelligence in the U.S.; and the war outside of the Pacific.

I am not quite finished with this book, but do recommend it. It is apparently the first of a three book series.
Thank you, it sounds very interesting.

As I get older I am less interested in the "what" of history (names, dates, places, battles) perhaps because my memory is failing. Much more interested in the "whys" (strategy, tactics, logistics, morale, experience of civilians, war production, qualitative issues of armies and weapons).

For example the Panther tank was "superior" to its Sherman foe-- armor, penetrative power of its weapons etc. But the Sherman was very reliable (for a tank of that era) and the Panther was not. And tactical analyses seem to suggest that issues like crew quality and command ability were more important than the actual physical characteristics of the tanks.
jdb

Post by jdb »

drawpoker wrote:
jdb wrote:With all due respect find it hard to believe that so called authors are writing exposes of someone assassinated over 45 years ago and even more unbelievable that people are actually buying and reading such works. Rehearsal dinner invoices? Let him rest in peace. .....
Oops, never mind. Have not been following family saga. But probably will save money by not buying that book.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Valuethinker wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941 - 1942, by Ian W. Toll.

Thank you, it sounds very interesting.

As I get older I am less interested in the "what" of history (names, dates, places, battles) perhaps because my memory is failing. Much more interested in the "whys" (strategy, tactics, logistics, morale, experience of civilians, war production, qualitative issues of armies and weapons).

For example the Panther tank was "superior" to its Sherman foe-- armor, penetrative power of its weapons etc. But the Sherman was very reliable (for a tank of that era) and the Panther was not. And tactical analyses seem to suggest that issues like crew quality and command ability were more important than the actual physical characteristics of the tanks.
I agree, I find the "whys" more interesting than the "names, dates, places" of the battles.

A very good history of the same part of the Pacific war with good quality discussion of the "whys" (especially signals intelligence) is "Miracle at Midway", by Gordon W. Prange, Donald M. Goldstein, and Katherine V. Dillon.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

jdb wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
Oops, never mind. Have not been following family saga. But probably will save money by not buying that book.
So did I. Save money, that is.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a book. Maybe ten years ago.

We have an excellent local library system. If they don't have it (esp. newer books) they borrow one from a branch within the state. If none is available thru that route, they will either buy the book, or go out-of-state to cooperating library systems to locate a copy.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

drawpoker wrote:
jdb wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
So did I. Save money, that is.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually purchased a book. Maybe ten years ago.

We have an excellent local library system. If they don't have it (esp. newer books) they borrow one from a branch within the state. If none is available thru that route, they will either buy the book, or go out-of-state to cooperating library systems to locate a copy.
I save money a different way. I haven't bought a physical book for around five years. I buy e-books and use a Kindle. The prices are always less, and usually free if the work is past copyright protection.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

Leeraar wrote:"The Food Lab" by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

As a devotee of food and cooking science, I saw it at Costco and just had to have it.

Nearly 1,000 letter-sized pages, it will probably take me years to get through it.

I believe that understanding the science has made me a much better cook. I recently figured out how to "cold smoke" fresh cod to make the best haddock ("finnan haddie") I have ever tasted.

L.
Inspired by the "Beef roast" thread, here is a list of books on the science of cooking.

The classic: "On food and cooking", Harold McGee.
"What Einstein told his cook", Robert L. Wolke. (1 and 2.)
"The curious cook", Harold McGee.
"Cookwise", Shirley O. Corriher.
"Cooking for geeks", Jeff Potter.

Understanding what is going on will enable you to be a much better cook. For example, do not cook soaked beans in a slow cooker; Use a thermometer to check when your baked goods are done.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, by Scott Adams.

A bit disappointing compared to his other work. This is a book of advice about how to be successful (e.g. "It's never a good idea to take advice from cartoonists . . . "). Its sometimes hard to tell if he is trying to be serious, trying to be humorous or both at the same time. In general -- have a strategy (rather than a goal), eat right, exercise, rest, be positive, keep it simple, acquire useful skills & education, and practice.
bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 »

Efficently Inefficient, How Smart Money Invests & Market Prices Are Determined Lasse Heje Pedersen

I'll probably never trade in any manner described in the book but find the overview of hedge fund trading styles fascinating. A few hard to follow equations but lots of supporting explanations make what amounts to a finance textbook very readable.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Roosevelt, by Brett Harper.

This is a concise biography of Theodore Roosevelt.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

American Blood by Ben Sanders. I'm half way through and find it a good story. A New York cop in the witness protection program in New Mexico becomes involved with local drug related people while probably avoiding someone chasing him.

After that I'm on to The Crossing by Michael Connelly.
jdb

Post by jdb »

VictoriaF wrote:
jdb wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Herekittykitty wrote:"the life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo. It is a quick read and worth it. I checked it out from the library.
A few people have highly recommended this book. Is it really life changing?

Victoria
Haven't read it but apropos just signed up on Amazon for "The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F#ck. How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do" by Sarah Knight, due out end of this month. Will report back as to whether life changing.
Yes, please report back! In the mean time, I'll try the tidying up magic.

Victoria
Just received and read the book. And can truthfully say, excuse the language, that I do not give a f**** about the book. Way too sophomoric. But probably would feel same way about the tidying up book. In fact kind of felt that way about many books read in 2015 with a few exceptions, All the Light We Cannot See, Landfalls and Invention of Nature. So starting New Year am just going to re-read one of my favorites, The Histories by Herodotus (Landmark Edition), will be interesting watching Greeks and Persians go at it again in 5th Century BC, narrated by author who was almost a contemporary and who, unlike Sarah Knight, really cared about the events. Some things are worth caring about. Happy New Year. And congrats on winning the Bogleheads Contest.
Last edited by jdb on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Took a break from the Hamilton bio to read "Make Me", the latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

As a devotee of food and cooking science, I saw it at Costco and just had to have it.
Thank you for posting this.
Have to get it!
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

linenfort wrote:

Thank you for posting this.
Have to get it!
It's wonderful! My Christmas beef roast was worth the price of the Lopez-Alt book.

Harold McGee was on NPR today, he has a new book.

I'd go with "The Food Lab" for now.

(Of course, I'll buy buy all of the books in the end!)

L.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

jdb wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
jdb wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Herekittykitty wrote:"the life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo. It is a quick read and worth it. I checked it out from the library.
A few people have highly recommended this book. Is it really life changing?

Victoria
Haven't read it but apropos just signed up on Amazon for "The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F#ck. How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do" by Sarah Knight, due out end of this month. Will report back as to whether life changing.
Yes, please report back! In the mean time, I'll try the tidying up magic.

Victoria
Just received and read the book. And can truthfully say, excuse the language, that I do not give a f**** about the book. Way too sophomoric. But probably would feel same way about the tidying up book. In fact kind of felt that way about many books read in 2015 with a few exceptions, All the Light We Cannot See, Landfalls and Invention of Nature. So starting New Year am just going to re-read one of my favorites, The Histories by Herodotus (Landmark Edition), will be interesting watching Greeks and Persians go at it again in 5th Century BC, narrated by author who was almost a contemporary and who, unlike Sarah Knight, really cared about the events. Some things are worth caring about. Happy New Year. And congrats on winning the Bogleheads Contest.
Thank you for the feedback. I decided to check the book out from the library, and if the first few pages appeal to me, I'll order my own copy from Amazon.

Generally, I take a pragmatic approach to my environment and don't like touchy-feely recommendations. The 80/20 approach to tidying up could be to adapt a few key concepts from the book and ignore the rest. The most useful recommendation is to evaluate every item NOT on whether it could be useful BUT whether one can live without it; and get rid of those one can live without. I already know this concept but don't always practice it. The book may provide me with images that would trigger my subconscious mental processes towards better decisions.

Reading history and other old books spoils you. You get used to good writing and become averse to modern junk.

Victoria
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

VictoriaF wrote:Reading history and other old books spoils you. You get used to good writing and become averse to modern junk.
You are such a Victorian! :)

L.
joebh

Post by joebh »

I'm just about finished with reading "Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal" by Mary Roach.

I think Roach is a terrific author, having read most of her other books as well. Very entertaining.
Onion

Post by Onion »

Andrew Mellen's "Unstuff Your Life"
joebh

Post by joebh »

ruralavalon wrote:I save money a different way. I haven't bought a physical book for around five years. I buy e-books and use a Kindle. The prices are always less, and usually free if the work is past copyright protection.
I also use a Kindle. For even more frugality, you should check out your local library systems.

I live in suburban Massachusetts. But last year, I learned that I could get an ID for the Boston Public Library site, and get e-books there. For recent editions, there's usually a wait, but you can put a bunch on hold and read them on your Kindle for free once your turn arrives.

Check out: http://www.bpl.org/collections/downloadable.htm

Many cities these days offer library IDs - even if you don't live in the city itself.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

joebh wrote:I'm just about finished with reading "Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal" by Mary Roach.

I think Roach is a terrific author, having read most of her other books as well. Very entertaining.
Ooh, that was a great one.

I've just gotten started on A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, thus completing my two-year journey through The Wheel of Time. A great series for those who like giant fantasy worlds and a billion and a half characters. The first three books will suck you in, numbers 7 and 8 will almost make you quit, but the last few will bring you back again. Your spouse will hate your for staying up late reading, though
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Conquering Tide, by Ian W. Toll.

This is a history of part of World War II in the Pacific from Guadalcanal to the Marianas. The book covers Naval actions including submarines, and island battles. It also discusses Army/Navy disputes in both the U.S. and Japan, new ships and aircraft, the Europe first strategy, and political issues in Japan.

The book is second in a series of three.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Fascinating article in [link to topic in recent news removed by admin LadyGeek]
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Let's stay focused on books.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Currently reading:

"Lights Out: A Cyberattack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath”

By Ted Koppel

Here is the NYT review of this book: NYT review by Walter Russell Mead.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Key West Luck, by Laurence Shames.

A mediocre guitar player at a seedy Key West bar and the girl who runs the sno-cone truck at Smathers Beach outwit both the Mafia and Cuban gangsters, who think they have a fall guy in a smuggling operation. This is a fun beach book, with absolutely no deeper meaning or redeeming social value. I recommend this book.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote:Key West Luck, by Laurence Shames.

A mediocre guitar player at a seedy Key West bar and the girl who runs the sno-cone truck at Smathers Beach outwit both the Mafia and Cuban gangsters, who think they have a fall guy in a smuggling operation. This is a fun beach book, with absolutely no deeper meaning or redeeming social value. I recommend this book.
Started reading this series back in the early '90s when they first one came out. Lost track of them after the first four or five. Didn't spot them on the shelves at Borders or B&N then forgot all about them.

I enjoyed them very much. Will likely take another look!

You are right. The ones I read made NO pretense at being anything other than pure entertainment. I also recommend!

Really got to like the characters. Is there still that retired Mafia Don and his little dog? Or have the books moved on in time to where neither he nor his little dog would be expected to be around any more?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:Key West Luck, by Laurence Shames.

Started reading this series back in the early '90s when they first one came out. Lost track of them after the first four or five. Didn't spot them on the shelves at Borders or B&N then forgot all about them.

I enjoyed them very much. Will likely take another look!

You are right. The ones I read made NO pretense at being anything other than pure entertainment. I also recommend!

Really got to like the characters. Is there still that retired Mafia Don and his little dog? Or have the books moved on in time to where neither he nor his little dog would be expected to be around any more?
Yes, "Bert the Shirt" and his tiny Chihuahua still feature prominently.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I just finished The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon.

In a world in which Alaska, rather than Israel, has become the homeland for the Jews following World War II, Detective Meyer Landsman and his half-Tlingit partner Berko investigate the death of a heroin-addicted chess prodigy. The Yiddish Policemen’s Union revives the in-danger-of-dying language in a most creative way: the author imagines an alternate history, where Jews fleeing Hitler’s Europe are granted refuge in the Alaskan wasteland. The local language is Yiddish, and Chabon has “updated” the language for the 21st century.

It took me about half the book to get into it. Even then, I'm not sure I ever did. It's not any easy read.

Chabon won the 2001 Pulitzer Price for fiction for his The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Most, however, probably would know Chabon for his 1995 novel, Wonder Boys, which was made into a movie starring Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire, and Katie Holmes.
Gordon
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

letsgobobby wrote:Mosquito Coast, Paul Theroux. Excellent, surpassed my expectations. The slow burn from eccentric inventive genius to manic, paranoid genius was well executed.

Bone Clocks, David Mitchell. Halfway through. Reminds me a bit of Junot Diaz. Wild ride. Some parts are heartachingly compelling.

Beauty and the Sorrow, Peter Englund. As the subtitle says, an Intimate History of the first world war. Stunning. The best war book I have ever read. Follows 20 or so real life players in the war, all minor characters. Visceral sense of the human tragedy of that war.

Netherland, Joseph O'Neill. Cricket, New York, a marriage on the rocks. Didn't do much for me.
The Bone Clocks has stayed with me. I read a review of it which highlighted in particular Chapters 1 and 3 (I think). At any rate, I have to say that I can't stop thinking about those 2 chapters. The first, and the one where a main character works at a ski resort in Switzerland. Those 2 chapters keep flooding back to me. So I think the book overall was only ok - the ending wasn't as powerful as the beginning - but that may only be because the beginning was so damn good.
Rotsevni

Post by Rotsevni »

Currently i'm reading "Why smart people make big money mistakes and how to correct them"... not one of the shortest title i've ever seen :p. This book is suggested from the Bogleheads book recommendations and is my first book on behavioral economics and the psychology of spending money. Very interesting! Glad that I ordered this book ;D
nbseer

Post by nbseer »

Just finished "1Q84" by Haruki Muratami. Centers on a religious cult, two long-lost lovers, a blurring of reality and fantasy. I've gotten hooked on Muratami, have now read most of his stuff.. very intriguing.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

Rotsevni wrote:Currently i'm reading "Why smart people make big money mistakes and how to correct them"... not one of the shortest title i've ever seen :p. This book is suggested from the Bogleheads book recommendations and is my first book on behavioral economics and the psychology of spending money. Very interesting! Glad that I ordered this book ;D
One of the earliest books on behavioral investing is William T. Morris: "How to get rich slowly, but almost surely" (1973). Highly recommended, though not easy to find these days.

L.
jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 »

J.K. Lassrer's "Your Income tax 2016: for preparing your 2015 Return"

Free from Local Library.

Quite informative on a broad range of tax issues
beezar

Post by beezar »

ruralavalon wrote:Roosevelt, by Brett Harper.

This is a concise biography of Theodore Roosevelt.
If you enjoy reading about Roosevelt and want to read something more than concise (well, substantially more than concise), I'd strongly recommend the trilogy by Edmund Morris starting with The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. Extremely well written and researched, and they read like novels. The first book is my favorite biography so far (I've read quite a few).
m_squared

Post by m_squared »

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. It's a work of historical fiction about homeless youth from the East Coast who were sent to the Midwest on "orphan trains" with no vetting of prospective "families" and very little follow up.

I enjoy historical fiction because it brings past events to life and puts them into a context I care about (lives of the characters) rather than history being an abstract list of dates and events.