TSA pre-check enrollment, is it changing? [Yes, it has changed.]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
livesoft

TSA pre-check enrollment, is it changing? [Yes, it has changed.]

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:44 pm

It looks like TSA pre-check is too popular or DHS needs money, so now it appears that one has to pay $85 every 5 years to get TSA Pre-check.

I guess I am miffed that I cannot do this by appointment at the local major airport, so I will do it at a NYC airport on my next trip.
Your time is valuable. Enroll in a Trusted Traveler program.

Beginning this fall, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will limit TSA Pre✓® expedited security screening to those enrolled in a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Trusted Traveler program*. Experience expedited security screening more often when you complete enrollment in one of the following programs:

If you travel primarily within the U.S., join TSA Pre✓® for expedited security screening.

If you frequently fly beyond the U.S., join Global Entry, Nexus or Sentri for expedited customs processing as well as TSA Pre✓® benefits.
Questions: For folks who routinely got TSA pre-check without paying any extra money, have you noticed you don't get it anymore?

And what's up with this "more often" in the quote above? Shouldn't it be "always" for that kind of money?

Bottom line: I wanted to avoid paying any money, but it looks like $100 for Global Entry is a better deal than $85 for TSA pre-check.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Big Dog

Re: TSA pre-check enrollment, is it changing?

Post by Big Dog » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:10 pm

Shouldn't it be "always"
1) They reserve the right to randomly send you thru regular screening. 2) Not open 24/7 in all airports.

Post by 123 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:14 pm

I seem to get a complementary pre-check over 50% of the time that I fly. I fly about 6 - 10 round trips a year usually between the same pair of secondary airports. I think the following factors contribute to my higher percentage of pre-check: tickets purchased 3 - 4 weeks in advance to qualify for low fare, older traveler, repetitive route (frequently with even the same flight numbers), and flights taken are usually in the slower part of the travel day (so maybe there are fewer TSA personnel on duty).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:34 pm

123 wrote:I seem to get a complementary pre-check over 50% of the time that I fly.
"Beginning this fall, …"

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm not enrolled in pre-check.

I flew to Vegas on 9/14 and got pre-check on my boarding pass. I flew home on 9/22 and didn't. Same airline. That's consistent with my experience in the past few years - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, with no rhyme or reason apparent to me..

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:47 pm

When I had Delta silver or Gold status, I got TSA precheck about 75% of the time when flying delta. Then I lost my status, and I didn't get it.

Two months ago I took my passport card to laguardia, paid the fee, and went through the process of applying (took less than 10 minutes).

I now get TSA status every time I fly (well 8 of 8 so far, I know they can send me through the regular line occasionally. It was well worth my 10 minutes at LGA and my $85.

NS
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:49 pm

In the past few years, I got TSA pre-check without paying anything essentially 100% of the time or the airport was so small that it didn't matter.

What I am asking about in this thread is the APPARENT CHANGES to this. If one doesn't pay, then one won't even be eligible for TSA pre-check.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 pm

livesoft wrote:In the past few years, I got TSA pre-check without paying anything essentially 100% of the time or the airport was so small that it didn't matter.

What I am asking about in this thread is the APPARENT CHANGES to this. If one doesn't pay, then one won't even be eligible for TSA pre-check.
[Edit. Livesoft, can you share if you have "status" on an airline when you fly and can you share which airline?]

What I THINK is happening is that it used to be that airlines could grant pre-check status to flyers who had not applied for it. It was a way to introduce pre-check and a way for airlines to offer a perk to their flyers. I think it was only offered to those who had frequent flyer status (at least I think that was the case on Delta). What is changing is that the TSA is no longer allowing the airlines to "gift" pre-check status to their flyers. Everyone will have to apply.

I think I read this somewhere on the internet. I have no sources.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Yes, I have status on United.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Interesting. I did not know about this change of policy, having last flown two weeks ago and enjoyed TSA Pre as a UAL 1K for several years. But in that time, the TSA Pre line has become much longer, and the people in line more clueless. So you definitely lose the advantage over the common folk.

A chap on Flyertalk ably summed it up as: "It's just less loss of dignity, the same way being punched in the stomach is less pain than having your hand cut off." So whether you want to pay $85 for that is debatable. (PS I believe the $85 is for five years? EDIT - yes it is)

Frequent international fliers would be well advised to use Global Entry, whatever the cost. I believe some FF programs and credit cards subsidize you.

PS - TSA announced in August that 1.5 million people are enrolled in TSA Pre, so ............ !!!!
Last edited by SrGrumpy on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SR II

Post by SR II » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:02 pm

TSA has to specially man (or woman!) separate lines for Pre-Check, so they offered it for FREE to some folks (older travelers, frequent traveler, etc.) so the screeners weren't just standing around (yes, I know the jokes) waiting for someone with Pre-Check to show up and go through the "special" line. A few years later, the number of passengers that have paid for Pre-Check has gone up enough to justify only including the people that actually pay for Pre-Check.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:04 pm

I guess I am miffed that I cannot do this by appointment at the local major airport, so I will do it at a NYC airport on my next trip.
I've heard that appointments really aren't necessary. You can usually just show up and likely apply without much delay.

I haven't done that myself.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:11 pm

The local MAJOR INTERNATIONAL airport doesn't do this where I live. I would have to go miles away from the airport and my home even if I was a walk-in. It would almost be faster for me to fly to LaGuardia and get it done than to drive locally.

It looks like Global Entry is a better deal at $100 for 5 years, but appears to take longer to get.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:18 pm

The last two times we traveled on US Airways out of Nashville we noticed our tickets were marked pre-check and we had done nothing to request this. Maybe because of our ages (very late 70's) or maybe because of same usual destination (or just pity!)? Have another trip in October on Delta to a different destination. We will look at the boarding passes when issued.
Tom D.

goingup

Post by goingup » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:20 pm

stlutz wrote:
I've heard that appointments really aren't necessary. You can usually just show up and likely apply without much delay.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to just show up. We bought the Global Entry passes. Had to apply on-line; wait for approval; make an appointment; show up for interrogation (I'm only half-joking) at the TSA office and then wait for the card to arrive.

We've enjoyed the benefit. It's especially handy when traveling to Canada and Mexico. The Nexus pass feature affords you a special lane to re-enter USA which is much speedier.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:03 pm

Good. It annoys the heck out of me when the precheck lane is clogged with people who did not pay for precheck and are fumbling around with their shoes and what not cause they don't know the pre check protocol. Global entry was worth every penny. So much faster getting through customs now.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:24 pm

I feel $100 for 5 years is a reasonable price for 5 years of global entry--$20/year. I really prefer it to going thru the full body scanner or being patted down. It really does save time with customs when you return from foreign destinations. Our S was platinum with UAL, so they paid for him to get global entry.

richardglm

Post by richardglm » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:37 am

goingup wrote:
stlutz wrote: I've heard that appointments really aren't necessary. You can usually just show up and likely apply without much delay.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to just show up. We bought the Global Entry passes. Had to apply on-line; wait for approval; make an appointment; show up for interrogation (I'm only half-joking) at the TSA office and then wait for the card to arrive.

We've enjoyed the benefit. It's especially handy when traveling to Canada and Mexico. The Nexus pass feature affords you a special lane to re-enter USA which is much speedier.
The appointments are a little bit flexible. I showed up an hour before my appointment, they took me early, I was out before my official appointment time.

It seems they have an appointment system because most CBP offices are not set up for a crowd of people, they are usually small little administrative offices. So they don't want people to just show up and queue randomly. But if your online application has been approved and the office doesn't look busy, maybe it doesn't hurt to ask politely.

In addition, you do not have to wait for the card. My interviewer told me that he activated Global Entry on my passport instantly, and any CBP officer can turn it off instantly as well.

Indeed I had been highly confused what the card was for, but after some asking around the office, it was clarified. The card says Global Entry, but it is not used for Global Entry in any way. The only purpose of the card is for the NEXUS or SENTRI lane returning to the US, or as a spare federal ID. And for SENTRI you have to have a separate vehicle inspection. You can't use the card to enter at airports. You can't use the NEXUS lanes entering Canada.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:28 am

I have Global Entry and it works wonderfully when I return to the U.S. from abroad, saving me at least 20 minutes at Dulles. When I fly out, the main advantage is that I don't have to display a plastic bag with DHS-compliant liquids. But this only works with the U.S.-based airlines. When I recently flew Lufthansa, on a ticket purchased with the United miles, I had to go through the general screening.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:40 am

TSA ended random Pre-Check for non-paid cardholders on Sept. 13th. Now only paid Pre-Check members will get TSA pre-check. Just a few mentions online about the change.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:46 am

I travel every week, sometimes multiple trips. I have noticed that all the airports I travel through have stopped sending non-precheck passengers through the precheck lines. This has happened in the past month. So there is a change.

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:00 am

I just fly domestically (although have dreams of international travel!) I don't have airline status because I only fly a few times a year, but when I fly it is often first class (keeps me from having a back ache for several days after the trip and sore shoulders if I don't get to occupy my entire seat myself). I usually, maybe always, have gotten TSA pre check privileges. Last time I was kind of frustrated with it because the regular line was moving faster.

I am one of the people who take off my shoes. My favorite travel shoes set off the alarm which slows things down, so I just take them off and they go through the scanner. But not until I explain that to the nice folks telling me not to take off my shoes.

Once I got randomly chosen to go through the screening process anyway. It wasn't that big a deal. I am not one of those people who object to getting screened because it means that other people will get screened or at least have a chance of getting screened too, and every time I have been screened/searched the personnel doing it were courteous and professional.
I don't know anything.

awval999

Post by awval999 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:10 am

My wife and I are in the process of getting Global Entry. Long application online. Then interview. I had a premium credit card that paid for my enrollment. Paid for my wife's. So it's like getting it for 50% off.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:46 am

I am Gold or Platinum with American depending on what my travel schedule was like the prior year. I've been getting Pre-Check with them for quite a few years with only one exception. That exception led me to dig into the reason why, and as others have mentioned they do reserve the right to randomly put you in the regular line.

If you have a Known Traveler Number (KTN) that will improve the chances to getting assigned to the Pre-Check line. It used to cost $35 to get a KTN, and I travel enough that it was worth it to me to do that. There's a local place near me that takes your application, so no need to go to an airport. I think they only work through appointments (no walk ins), and it only took about 5 minutes in the building to get it done.

For some of our personal travel my wife and I fly Southwest, and even before I had my KTN they would give me Pre-Check, but not her. On our last two trips though she also was given Pre-Check. Not sure I understand how that happened.

Anyway, sounds like this is now going to cost $85 every 5 years. At my current rate of travel I think that would still be worthwhile, but I'll have to think about whether it makes sense if my travel frequency changes.
Dave

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:56 am

I've flown several dozen times in the last couple of years and have only received Pre-Check on my boarding pass once. I think because I'm young and often buy tickets on short notice, I get flagged as a potential terrorist or whatever.

For a while, if I got to the airport early enough, I'd refuse the body scanner and request the pat-down just to annoy the TSA staff. Security theater.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:05 am

Cherokee8215 wrote:I'd refuse the body scanner and request the pat-down just to annoy the TSA staff.
Are you patted by men or women?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:09 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:I'd refuse the body scanner and request the pat-down just to annoy the TSA staff.
Are you patted by men or women?

Victoria
Always men (I am a man). I believe that is their rule. Same-sex only.

goingup

Post by goingup » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:09 am

richardglm wrote:
goingup wrote:
stlutz wrote: I've heard that appointments really aren't necessary. You can usually just show up and likely apply without much delay.

The appointments are a little bit flexible. I showed up an hour before my appointment, they took me early, I was out before my official appointment time.

It seems they have an appointment system because most CBP offices are not set up for a crowd of people, they are usually small little administrative offices. So they don't want people to just show up and queue randomly. But if your online application has been approved and the office doesn't look busy, maybe it doesn't hurt to ask politely.

In addition, you do not have to wait for the card. My interviewer told me that he activated Global Entry on my passport instantly, and any CBP officer can turn it off instantly as well.

Indeed I had been highly confused what the card was for, but after some asking around the office, it was clarified. The card says Global Entry, but it is not used for Global Entry in any way. The only purpose of the card is for the NEXUS or SENTRI lane returning to the US, or as a spare federal ID. And for SENTRI you have to have a separate vehicle inspection. You can't use the card to enter at airports. You can't use the NEXUS lanes entering Canada.
I agree with all of this. :) You are given your Global Entry number immediately after the interview. You can enter that number into your flight reservation when booking. When it's time to print boarding passes, the TSA recheck appears on the boarding pass.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:12 am

goingup wrote:You are given your Global Entry number immediately after the interview. You can enter that number into your flight reservation when booking. When it's time to print boarding passes, the TSA recheck appears on the boarding pass.
If you have an electronic account with an airline, you enter it once and then they use it for all future travel.

Victoria

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:42 am

The last 4 times I flew in and out of BWI my boarding pass was already marked TSA Pre. But sometimes the line is shorter for the regular clearance so I take that anyway.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 am

But sometimes the line is shorter for the regular clearance so I take that anyway.
Things should improve now that TSA had ended the freebies, which really clogged the line with confused people. Heck, it even slowed the ID validation portion segment. (Last time I flew, two elderly folks were in front of me, and one was arbitrarily given PreCheck and the other was not. The TSA agents spent 5 minutes trying to explain to them why they had to go thru different lines.....)

Of course, the one who went thru recheck then proceeded to disrobe at the scanner, empty bags, etc. Fortunately, I was in a leg cast, so one TSA agent waived me up to the front so they could manually scan my leg.

"Members of TSA PreCheck are rejoicing this week after news that the TSA has made the program more valuable by doing away with Managed Inclusion, a controversial program that drew the ire of PreCheck members for slowing down their designated line by allowing “low risk” travelers to use the designated lines without enrolling in (or paying for) TSA PreCheck. A TSA spokesperson confirmed to Road Warrior Voices that Managed Inclusion ended nationwide on Sunday, September 13."

http://roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/09/18 ... d-members/

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:33 am

I flew round trip after September 13 and managed inclusion was still in place. Both times my boarding pass printed TSA-Pre. The TSA agents didn't bat an eye. The person checking our bags went out of her way to direct us to the TSA-Pre line.

I don't fly for business anymore so I can pick my times when traffic is light. If I never had to fly again, I wouldn't miss it. But I have hundreds of thousands of FF miles so will probably find a way to use them (or donate them).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

canderson

Post by canderson » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:38 am

Few things are more infuriating than having families in the PreCheck line that unload their bags, remove shoes/coats/etc and take freer despite the TSA people yelling ate them to stop,

I applaud this move wholeheartedly. No freebies!

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:31 pm

The main change that I have noticed is that TSA seems to be diverting many more people to the pre-check line who do not have pre-check designation on their boarding passes. So the value of having the designation is not as high as it used to be. This practice appears to be more costly to run -- as someone else noted above a large fraction of the passengers have trouble understanding the process so where I see this practice in common use there will be a full-time TSA person with the sole job of yelling out the instructions over and over. My guess is paying a high-quality design / customer experience firm a few hundred thousand dollars once would both save them a lot of money over the long term and make the experience faster and more pleasant for all concerned. The idea that you instruct people what to do by yelling at them non-stop does not reflect much reflection.

On a recent trip I deliberately did not go through the pre-check line because the high-FF-status line (which is not pre-check) was far faster. I have been noticing that the high-FF-status lines have been getting thinner as more of those people are shunted to pre-check.

Just this month I had something brand new happen which I hope is not a harbinger -- even though I have Global Entry and was flying on the airline I have high status on, my boarding pass did not have pre-check designated.

I have also noticed that it seems I am getting searched more often upon passing through immigration at the Global Entry Kiosk. The trend may be illusionary, or it may not be a general trend but a reflection of my travel patterns, but what seemed like once every 2-3 years is now more like twice a year. It doesn't bother me -- it has never slowed me down that much and it if it helps maintain the integrity of Global Entry I'm all for it.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:36 pm

We have the Global Entry card, totally worth the money. Time saved at airports lines and we don't have to take off our shoes, computer etc make the TSA more acceptable.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Aptenodytes wrote:The main change that I have noticed is that TSA seems to be diverting many more people to the pre-check line who do not have pre-check designation on their boarding passes.
I've only seen TSA route people without the PreCheck notation on their boarding pass over to the PreCheck line once, and it was under unusual circumstances. I happened to be flying out of Dulles on August 15th, when the FAA outage in Virginia cancelled many flights at Reagan and Baltimore airports, and delayed many flights at Dulles. Dulles was very, very busy. The TSA was diverting people from the regular lanes over to the PreCheck lanes in batches just to keep all the lines moving, due to the volume of people passing through the checkpoint.

Of course, it wouldn't have mattered had it taken a long time to pass through the TSA checkpoint. Flights were also being delayed or cancelled at Dulles, just not at the frequency with which they were being cancelled at BWI and DCA. My flight was delayed because the plane was delayed in taking off from its original city (its original flight path took it over the affected zone in Virginia). It arrived about 1.5 hours late, and by then our original flight crew had timed out. So we had to wait around for a little over an hour while a new flight crew was gathered.

But at least the flight happened, and they filled every seat with someone who was displaced by a cancelled flight, so people made it to their destination (or at least to the next leg of their journey), which is more than a lot of people could say that day.

TheGreyingDuke

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:47 pm

goingup wrote:We've enjoyed the benefit. It's especially handy when traveling to Canada and Mexico. The Nexus pass feature affords you a special lane to re-enter USA which is much speedier.
This is true and as I found out when I went to the border station in Newport VT, if you apply for the NEXUS you get Global Entry with it AND it cost on $50. The only hitch is that you do need to go to a border crossing as the Canadians (or Mexicans I think) need be be involved in the "interview".

With NEXUS you get access to the quick lane when crossing INTO Canada as well, a big help when we head up on Friday afternoon for a weekend of city.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:03 pm

So they're changing the process so that you have to get pre-check before you get to the security lines, but can the airlines still give you pre-check based on enrollment in their miles program or flight history with them?

Or is enrolling in one of the TSA programs the only way?

spectec

Post by spectec » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:12 pm

WhenGloabl Entry was first introduced, they were frequently routing some US citizens through the G/E kiosks even though they had not appplied.. Happened to me twice, along with some other people (but not all) in my group. That experiencce was what helped convince me to get G/E. During that time, I usually got TSA pre-check domestically as well under the "managed inclusion program", but not always.

After getting G/E, my wife and I have gotten TSA pre-check 100% of the time domesticallly, except for US outbound flights on a foreign carrier. Plus, on my last two trips entering the US through JFK (back in January and again this past week), the G/E kiosks were completely empty even though the lines at the immigration maze were 8 or 10 deep. Cleary they switched some time ago to restricting G/E only to those who qualify.

So it appears they are doing the same with TSA pre-check. Initially letting low-risk passengers get it in order to whet their appetitie, then lock it down and restrict it to those who take the time to register and pay. All in all, not a bad marketing plan. And safer.

I have no idea why anyone would pay $85 for TSA pre check only, when for only $15 more they can get G/E with it. Even a single international trip within the 5 years will more than cover the $15 extra. Compare that to the cost & aggrvation of a missed flight becaue of a delayed arrival coupled with the immigration lines being long.

Here's a good recent discussion & explanation":
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -precheck/
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Thanks for all the useful replies.

I don't fly as much as I used to, but I want to go see the Russian space stuff in the London Science Museum before it goes away, so I will sign up for Global Entry instead of just TSA pre-check.

But another problem is how the website for the Global Entry application fails me over and over, so I will have to spend some time figuring that out. Sigh!

dpc

Post by dpc » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:39 pm

I think the only change is that TSA is no longer going to route non-enrolled passengers through the PRE-check line. I paid the same $85 for five years a couple of years ago. Well worth it to me. You will be fingerprinted as part of the registration process.

If you fly through a lot of smaller airports, as I do, you'll find that TSA Pre doesn't offer too many benefits since they don't have a separate Pre-check line, but at least I can usually leave my shoes on.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:07 am

I flew from Northern to Southern California last month, as I do every month. Typically I'd get the TSA Pre, but this time I did not.

There was discussion in the TSA line, and the agent pretty much confirmed what everyone here has said.

Even my cheapest friends seem to agree it's worth the $85 to get it, and I will. This week. :annoyed
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:44 am

I just feel like I will be giving all my identity info directly to Chinese hackers when I sign up.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:18 pm

livesoft wrote:I just feel like I will be giving all my identity info directly to Chinese hackers when I sign up.
Not to worry... they already know it all.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Good luck with getting a Global Entry number if you live around Portland, Oregon. The waiting time for interviews is MONTHS. I investigated a few weeks back to see if I had time to enroll before my trip next week. They are making reservations for interviews for November and December. I'm glad I found out before I went ahead and filled out the application and paid the fee. Of course, I had the option of driving all the way up to Seattle for faster processing. Or, hey, I could fly to New York and get it right away. Yeesh.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:31 pm

In time this may help getting TSA Pre✓® status, maybe the others if it relieves some of the personnel burden at TSA offices:

The IdentoGO® services organization of MorphoTrust USA that serves as the enrollment services agent for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) today announced a new partnership with H&R Block to co-market a range of identity services, including enrollment in the TSA Pre✓® application program. Through this new partnership, H&R Block will market and deliver IdentoGO services to customers throughout 27 states, significantly expanding the number of application centers available for TSA Pre✓®

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... ghRVPlVhBc

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:57 pm

We've had Global Entry since it first became available and the fee was paid by AMEX. We fly 1-2 times monthly and internationally several times a year. It has been an amazing experience and we've had no problems anywhere. There's a slight discomfort when you bypass the hundreds of people waiting at passport control here in the US, and it's a bit eery when you put your fingers on the reader only to find out they've been tracking you since your initial departure, but it's an overall very positive experience.

TheGreyingDuke

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:We've had Global Entry since it first became available and the fee was paid by AMEX. We fly 1-2 times monthly and internationally several times a year. It has been an amazing experience and we've had no problems anywhere. There's a slight discomfort when you bypass the hundreds of people waiting at passport control here in the US, and it's a bit eery when you put your fingers on the reader only to find out they've been tracking you since your initial departure, but it's an overall very positive experience.
How do they track your departure? I have never (yet) experienced any passport control or the like when departing the US.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:48 pm

^ I'm not exactly sure. I was coming back from Havana and into Miami, went to the Global Entry kiosk, put my fingers on the reader, and got a printout with my name and notation that I was arriving from Havana. That was the most recent entry and I'll be back from London next month so I'll see if it spits out the same information regarding my entry from London.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:51 pm

Homeland Security doesn't need to get any info directly from you when you depart. The international airline is required to obtain your exact name, gender, and birth date when they sell your ticket to you. And of course this data must match your passport exatcly. They must obtain an OK from Homeland Securty before they allow you to board the aicraft ( I think the dealdine is 72 hours before departure). So Homeland Security knows when any citizen leaves the country, regardless of whether you have Global Entry or not.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers