What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
longinvest

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by longinvest »

jasc15 wrote:I'm fairly certain I have accounted for all my contributions in the first chart, but it seems like I may be underestimating my loss YTD given my AA.
Have you included your employer's contributions (if any)? Forgetting to include them inflates the rate of return.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

longinvest wrote:
jasc15 wrote:I'm fairly certain I have accounted for all my contributions in the first chart, but it seems like I may be underestimating my loss YTD given my AA.
Have you included your employer's contributions (if any)? Forgetting to include them inflates the rate of return.
I knew I must be missing something. Thanks.

Edit: The numbers didn't change much, but I realized I have none of September in there yet. As you know, your spreadsheet calculates monthly.
Last edited by jasc15 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rokidtoo

Post by rokidtoo »

-2.91% YTD.

Portfolio: 60/40 stocks/bonds
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Negative 2.9% YTD, also.

Portfolio is approx. 7% cash, 30% fixed and 63% equity, with the last split 2/3 domestic and 1/3 int'l.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
renue74

Post by renue74 »

As of Friday, Sept. 3rd:
Down 2.96%
70/30 AA
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

With contributions -1.5%
Without contributions -4.2%

I'm 100/0 equity/bond. Overall it's looking like my 2011 all over again.
Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

A few percent more than I was this morning.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

travellight wrote:I am down 4.2% in my investments ytd. I did the math today and did not realize that only 12% of my net worth is in the market so I am relatively little affected by this. My net worth is up 6% ytd due to real estate.
Interesting observation. Whether someone is "up" or "down" depends on aggregating and allocation. Folks often consider "stocks and bonds" as the only assets to be considered as to whether one is "up or down", when it's much more complex. For example, are your assets "up" or "down" in nominal or real terms. Are your assets liquid, subject to minimal transaction costs, or relatively illiquid, subject to the vagaries of the market and third-party fees (think real estate)*. Are your assets subject to tax on sale, and, if so, at what amount? Compare assets in a Roth IRA and a TIRA. Or appreciated assets with no tax due to favorable tax laws. Or are you "up" 6% in an investment in some foreign land, but must "convert" those gains both to after-tax local and then to $US?

As they say, "it gets complicated."

*For example, the gent who bought my Mom's house back in early 2014 no doubt thought he'd made a killing. Then, after plopping well into the six-figures in repairs and upgrades, and a year-and-a-half later, I suspect he might have difficulty justifying his investment.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

50/50 asset allocation, retired, age 70.

Down 2.16% YTD per Morningstar portfolio manager.

Only positive YTD is 1.02% for Vanguard Intermediate-Term investment-Grade Bond Fund.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Uncle Pennybags

At this point in time I'm up 8 bases points for the trailing year. Posting wile I'm hot.
AussieDad

Post by AussieDad »

-4% on 401k, - 4.8 % on brokerage (that includes fees). I know I need to make some changes
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 »

XIRR of -2.60%

Portfolio increased by 17.33%

Saved 43.51% of income.

40% US Stocks
19% Intl Stocks
31% Bonds
10% Alternative Investments (Physical Gold/Silver, HF)
Last edited by jaj2276 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jstash

Post by jstash »

Down 5.5% on a 90/10 portfolio, 50/50 US/Foreign on the equity side.
szmaine

Post by szmaine »

Up 1.6% ytd (excluding contributions)

Approx:

30% TIAA Trad (~4.3% guaranteed)
40% Stocks
30% TREA

Gotta love the TREA! 8-)
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

szmaine wrote:Up 1.6% ytd (excluding contributions)

Approx:

30% TIAA Trad (~4.3% guaranteed)
40% Stocks
30% TREA

Gotta love the TREA! 8-)
Gotta love TIAA CREF! Best decision of the year was to put a third of my retirement portfolio into TIAA Traditional and another 5-10% in TREA despite lots of people thinking that's too conservative for my age (mid 30s). It's kept me calm during this rough time.

My Vanguard Roth (Target 2045) is down from $5500 to $5000 :annoyed I really wish I had made periodic contributions spread over the year instead of "getting it out of the way" in the spring. Lesson learned for 2016.
Uncle Pennybags

Down 2%; foreign stocks, wile only 20% of my 60/40 holdings, account for 1/2 the loss.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

sawhorse wrote:My Vanguard Roth (Target 2045) is down from $5500 to $5000 :annoyed I really wish I had made periodic contributions spread over the year instead of "getting it out of the way" in the spring. Lesson learned for 2016.
Lump summing in January has been the better choice approximately 2/3 of the time.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Not sure of the actual percentages, but my net worth has stayed roughly the same for 5 months despite investing $3-4k per month.

After 7 years of valuation increases (in US stocks at least), It's oddly kind of refreshing that things are going down a little bit.
longinvest

Longinvest's Uniform Returns -- September 2015 edition

Post by longinvest »

Here are my personal portfolio returns* for September 2015.

Target asset allocation: 50/50 -- (25% Canadian stocks / 25% ex-Canada stocks / 50% Canadian bonds)

Trailing portfolio returns (time-weighted returns, comparable returns)
Portfolio returns as of 9/30/2015
1 month -1.88%
3 months -2.86%
6 months -4.57%
YTD 0.92%

I encourage Bogleheads to use the wiki:Calculating personal returns spreadsheet to calculate and report their personal returns in a uniform manner.

Disclaimer (i): The main reason I participate in this thread is to help Bogleheads learn about properly calculating their personal returns and discover that there are different types of returns (investor vs portfolio vs nonsense). Unfortunately, many investors calculate nonsense returns.

Disclaimer (ii): What is the use of knowing one's personal returns? Not much, as it is a big mistake to project these returns into the future. I only see one interesting use: discovering that from month to month, past returns vary widely, helping one realize how useless they are. :annoyed

* These are not investor (internal, XIRR, money-weighted) or Beardstown Ladies (nonsense) returns.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
tnbison

Post by tnbison »

45% single stock, remainder currently split 82/18 sliced and diced

Trailing portfolio returns (time-weighted returns, comparable returns)
Portfolio returns as of 9/30/2015
1 month -1.24%
3 months -3.04%
6 months 3.20%
YTD 4.52%
Uncle Pennybags

Re: Longinvest's Uniform Returns -- September 2015 edition

longinvest wrote:Disclaimer (i): The main reason I participate in this thread is to help Bogleheads learn about properly calculating their personal returns and discover that there are different types of returns (investor vs portfolio vs nonsense). Unfortunately, many investors calculate nonsense returns.
If it wasn't for "nonsense" this would be one boring site. Carry on.
Krischi

Post by Krischi »

Target asset allocation 80% stocks, 20% bonds. Core Four portfolio, sliced and diced due to limited funds availability in 401k.

Portfolio return as of 9/30/2015
1 month -2.31%
3 months -6.43%
6 months -5.43%
YTD -3.79%

Nothing to see here, stay the course, move along.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Target allocation:
50% Treasuries (G fund + mostly intermediate Treasury fund)
50% equities (3:1 total US + C fund + S fund : total international + I fund + EM)
Currently 52% bonds/48% equities; no rebalancing done except by Mr. Market

Per Longinvest's spreadsheet in the wiki:

Portfolio return as of 9/30/15
1 month -1.33%
3 months -3.60%
6 months -3.42%
YTD -1.82%
1 year -0.35%

Annoying, but that's how this stuff works.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
GoldenFinch

Re: Longinvest's Uniform Returns -- September 2015 edition

Post by GoldenFinch »

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
longinvest wrote:Disclaimer (i): The main reason I participate in this thread is to help Bogleheads learn about properly calculating their personal returns and discover that there are different types of returns (investor vs portfolio vs nonsense). Unfortunately, many investors calculate nonsense returns.
If it wasn't for "nonsense" this would be one boring site. Carry on.
I especially like it when the nonsense is clever. 8-)

As far as how much I am down year to date, it's a lot. I don't want to calculate the percentage. I have a slightly aggressive portfolio.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

This is what I get from the 401K site.

Valid Dates are from the first day of July 2014 through the last day of September 2015

1 Yr. +1.25%
3 months -2.76
Your personal rate of return for September 1, 2015 through September 30, 2015 is -1.38%

During this time, I engaged in market timing by changing my AA a few times. Just confused, but not intentionally market timing.

Currently 65% Vanguard Institutional Index fund and 35% Blackrock U.S. Debt Index
Last edited by stemikger on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Dickerson

Post by Dickerson »

Down 4.6% with 80% equities. Health Care helps but Emerging Markets drags it down even more.
Uncle Pennybags

I'm down for the year but I'm beating the S&P 500. :mrgreen:
REITs made a comeback. If it wasn't for foreign I'd be up.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Down 1.75% YTD per Morningstar portfolio manager.

Only positive YTD is 2.17% for Vanguard Intermediate-Term investment-Grade Bond Fund.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

I have about the same equity/bond mix and also about the same returns that longinvest describes, I am using his spreadsheet and I really like it.
Especially with the Vanguard accounts, it literally takes a minute to enter the data every month (you just have to check "balances over time" in the table view and enter your balance and the contributions for the month).
In our case, the other retirement accounts are a bit more difficult, as you need the balance at the change of the month and if your forget to check the balance around the turn of the month, that number is more difficult to get.
MrKnight

Post by MrKnight »

I am down between 5-11% across my old 401Ks and IRAs.

Considering this, I have increased my contribution to max allowed by 401K (45%), filled me IRA allowance for the year, decreased my considerable student loan payments, and will do a mega backdoor for my 401K.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

down -1.53% with 37/63% equity/fixed income AA as of 10/1/15
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

Up 1.48%

All of the assets here are in IRAs. It took me awhile to whittle my positions down to the following eight ETFs, plus a couple of CDs. Here's the current AA shown for each:

iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond Index (AGG): 39.92%
Vanguard Total World Index (VT): 27.62%
Vanguard Value Index (VTV): 9.93%
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTI): 8.88%
Vanguard Total International ex-US (VXUS): 5.39%
iShares Developed International Value Index (EFV): 2.00%
Vanguard Emerging Markets Index (VWO): 1.46%
Vanguard International Real Estate (VNQI): 0.66%
Certificates of Deposit (all at 0.55% interest rate, matures August 2016): 4.14%

Total fixed income allocation is 44.06%
Total U.S. equity allocation (including 52% of the Vanguard Total World ETF): 33.17%
Total international equity allocation (including 48% of Vanguard Total World): 22.11%
REIT (VNQI): 0.66%

I am not planning to sell off any these positions, though when the CDs mature I'll split the proceeds between AGG and VTI. Going forward, I don't plan to add to Emerging Markets (VWO) or International Value (EFV). Now that I've developed an AA which is consistent with my goal and mission for these invested funds, I'd like to stick with it.
boo-yah

Post by boo-yah »

I got curious after reading some of these replies and was surprised to find that with a 70/30 equivalent portfolio, I'm almost dead even at -0.1%. The reason is my big winners are TIAA Real estate (+6.2%) and TIAA Traditional (+2.8%). My big losers are emerging markets (FPMAX -11.5%) and my small cap index (TISBX -4.8%).
kolea

Post by kolea »

Seattlenative wrote:Up 1.48%

All of the assets here are in IRAs. It took me awhile to whittle my positions down to the following eight ETFs, plus a couple of CDs. Here's the current AA shown for each:

Certificates of Deposit (all at 0.55% interest rate, matures August 2016): 4.14%
Of your top 5 holdings only one has a positive YTD return, and that is AGG, which is +1.0%. The other four are all down by 3 to 7%. So how did you end up in positive territory? Did you move money from equities to fixed income at the market peak?
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We are out of the hole YTD :) .

Up 0.26% YTD per Morningstar portfolio manager.

Most positive YTD is 1.88% for Vanguard Intermediate-Term investment-Grade Bond Fund. Vanguard REIT Index Fund is up 0.22%.
Lanseril

Post by Lanseril »

Per Morningstar Portfolio Tracker: +2.62% YTD as of 10/8/15. (Morningstar US index is -2.10% YTD).

Most of the outperformance came from market timing (buying on dips) and adjusting AA. For instance, with oil and energy getting ridiculously pummeled all summer, I had bought in on the cheap and incrementally increased my energy holdings until it reached 35% of total portfolio; with this week's rally I've pared it back down to ~20% to lock in some nice gains. I had also exchanged all bond holdings to buy stocks during/after the August correction, so this week I reduced some stocks to bring bonds up to ~20% as dry powder for the next dip. Today the portfolio stands at:

PRIMECAP Odyssey Stock 17.45%
Vanguard Dividend Growth Inv 10.14%
Vanguard Energy Inv 20.46%
Vanguard Health Care Inv 9.60%
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Adm 22.08%
Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Admiral 10.26%
Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Idx Adm 10.02%

Still underweight in international, so I'm waiting for the next round of bad news from China so that EM will go on sale even more! :sharebeer
feh

Post by feh »

60/40 portfolio - this week's increase in equities has returned my YTD rate to 0%.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Up 10% ytd. Still have this allocation:
market timer wrote: 25% EM equities
25% Developed int'l equities
15% US equities
15% Long term Treasuries
25% Health care REITs
20% Mortgage REITs
10% Gold
20% Oil
-55% Cash
Uncle Pennybags

market timer wrote:Up 10% ytd. Still have this allocation:
I'm up 20%.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Uncle Pennybags, Oct 2 wrote:I'm down for the year but I'm beating the S&P 500. :mrgreen:
Uncle Pennybags, Oct 10 wrote:I'm up 20%.
That must have been quite a week since your previous post.
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I'm pretty flat--probably somewhere in the 0%<x<1% range, probably somewhere in the ballpark of 75/25 AA. I'm happy to be back to even.
Don't do something. Just stand there!
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Down 1% in Schwab account YTD.
Down .25% in Vanguard account YTD.

Have been saving aggressively over past year. Dollar cost averaging and apparently buying "high."
ram

Post by ram »

About 0% to +0.5 %.
My IPS allows some market timing. (+/- 10%).

On Jan 1, I was 85/15%. About 78/22% in May.
I was selling stocks in May and have been buying for the last 2 months. Currently 88/ 12% (within the IPS allowance)
Ram
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

boo-yah wrote:I got curious after reading some of these replies and was surprised to find that with a 70/30 equivalent portfolio, I'm almost dead even at -0.1%. The reason is my big winners are TIAA Real estate (+6.2%) and TIAA Traditional (+2.8%). My big losers are emerging markets (FPMAX -11.5%) and my small cap index (TISBX -4.8%).
Excellent! Sounds like you are well diversified then. An indicator of that is one of your holdings always seems to be frustrating :annoyed Or another way to put it, you are likely never happy with all of them at the same time!
Ashley1748

Post by Ashley1748 »

50/50 allocation
Quicken reports ROI (%) YTD as +3.1%
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

TwoByFour wrote:
Seattlenative wrote:Up 1.48%

Of your top 5 holdings only one has a positive YTD return, and that is AGG, which is +1.0%. The other four are all down by 3 to 7%. So how did you end up in positive territory? Did you move money from equities to fixed income at the market peak?
Actually, yes, I moved a lot over to fixed income. When at the end of July I moved my two Schwab IRAs to TD Ameritrade at the end of July, I kept my Vanguard ETFs but sold most of my Schwab ETF positions. It was an inadvertent case of market timing. Once the Schwab assets were transferred, I slowly used dollar-cost averaging to invest in the commission-free Vanguard and iShares ETFs at TD Ameritrade. The dollar-cost averaging during that time when I had uninvested cash within the IRAs during a low point in the markets doubtless helped boost the rate of return, along with the dividend reinvestment.

However, those hefty TD Ameritrade new-account bonuses into both the Roth and Traditional IRAs skewed the numbers, and I need to correct this. My YTD return on that day excluding the bonuses would have been 1.30%, not 1.48%. I apologize for this specific error.

As of today, excluding the value of the TDA new-account bonuses, my IRAs are now up by 2.20% YTD.
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

YTD (excluding new-account bonuses from TD Ameritrade): 2.20%, which reflects some rebalancing and moving funds away from cash. Here's my updated AA, and cost basis performance for my current positions many of which I haven't held all of this year:

39.44% of AA: iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond Index (AGG): Up 0.42%

27.87% of AA: Vanguard Total World Index (VT): Down 0.89%

9.97% of AA: Vanguard Value Index (VTV): Up 0.09%

8.97% of AA: Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTI): Up 6.62%

5.47% of AA: Vanguard Total International ex-US (VXUS): Down 2.86%

2.04% of AA: iShares Developed International Value Index (EFV): Down 2.04%

1.49% of AA: Vanguard Emerging Markets Index (VWO): Down 0.75%

0.66% of AA: Vanguard International Real Estate (VNQI): Down 3.41%

4.09% of AA: Certificates of Deposit (all at 0.55% interest rate, matures August 2016): n/a
siamond

Post by siamond »

Hard to interpret the answers, as it varies on day per day basis and recent volatility has been fairly high.

My AA is down 0.23%. Don't know about my actual savings, I only do the math once a year (always a bit complicated as I have some churn in my various accounts, rebalancing, TLH, lump sums, etc).
Uncle Pennybags

Tanelorn wrote:
Uncle Pennybags, Oct 2 wrote:I'm down for the year but I'm beating the S&P 500. :mrgreen:
Uncle Pennybags, Oct 10 wrote:I'm up 20%.
That must have been quite a week since your previous post.
I thought we were playing Fantasy Island. In real life I'm down $14.89 year to date. :mrgreen:
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

Over the centuries, equity markets have consistently exhibited periods of greater-than-average volatility, as well as the phenomena we know as bull markets and bear markets. For most of the history of equity markets, investors did not have the option of what we now call an "index fund", though they could attempt to assemble (at substantial commission costs) a portfolio of stock and bond positions which would attempt to capture the overall performance of the market as a whole. However, such an endeavor would not be practical for most individuals due not only to commission costs but also in some cases due to many broker-dealers not wanting to handle "odd lot" purchases involving a tiny number of shares.

For most of us mere mortals, it's frustrating to benchmark our investment performance over a relatively short timespan in which above-average market volatility has occurred. Much of Wall Street publicly scoffs at buy-and-hold Index fund investing, but that's because buy-and-hold is not nearly as profitable for the broker-dealer as the account of an active-trader or the buyer of high-expense-ratio load mutual funds.