Car Steering shakes when I put on Brake

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sksbog

Car Steering shakes when I put on Brake

Post by sksbog »

Hello Everyone,

I have a 11 year old Honda CRV. The steering now shakes when I apply brakes.
I took it to nearby local Tire chain shop, Tuffy. The told me that the brake rotors are warped and can be turnable. Recommended that they resurface all four rotors.
$50 per tire so $200 for all four.

What would bogleheads do? Does this seem okay?
tibbitts

Re: Car Steering shakes when I put on Brake

Post by tibbitts »

sksbog wrote:Hello Everyone,

I took it to nearby local Tire chain shop, Tuffy. The told me that the brake rotors are warped and can be turnable. Recommended that they resurface all four rotors.

While it's not likely that all 4 rotors are warped, that's not a completely unreasonable diagnosis. Did they actually look at the brakes and suspension carefully, and possibly measure the rotor thickness or runout, or just listen to your description?
edge

Post by edge »

Yes, new pads and rotors. If your rotors are turntable then maybe that will fix it. If they are too warped forget about it.
Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua »

Warped front rotors I believe. The rear rotors are warped too? The front brakes do the lion's share of the braking work on a FWD car like a CRV. You might also ask for a 2nd opinion and also ask what new rotors cost vs turned rotors.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I would agree that the diagnosis is plausible. At 11 years, if brakes haven't been previously redone, it may be time for a full brake job (including replacing at least the front rotors). It's pretty much the same amount of labor.

Be aware that while it is theoretically possible to turn (resurface) rotors, on modern cars, it is often the case that there is not sufficient metal to turn them and stay within service specifications. On the plus side, new rotors are fairly cheap these days (if your shop doesn't have huge markup).
zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk »

Entirely possible the rotors are warped. You didn't mention how many miles are on the vehicle but at 11 years old if the rotors have never been serviced it is probably time. Personally I would not have the rotors turned I would just replace them and have new pads installed as well. In the past I have had rotors turned only to have them warp again in just a few thousand miles. Invest in good rotors, nothing with metal from China.
Zk
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

It's very rare that a rotor can be warped. It's a long read, but please refer to the below link.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-suppo ... ther-myths
MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything »

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Yes, you've got wrapped rotors, and it might need new ones at that. Depends on what they find in measurements of the thickest of those rotors.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Browser

Post by Browser »

TareNeko wrote:It's very rare that a rotor can be warped. It's a long read, but please refer to the below link.

Interesting article. Never could understand how a steel disc could be "warped". Probably turning the rotors works because it removes the uneven materials from the rotors, at least partially. I had the pads replaced and rotors turned on my older CRV a few months ago and the steering wheel is juddering again when I brake already. I'm easy on my brakes and don't drive through water and other unusual conditions, so it's hard to figure how the rotors could already be "warped." The discussion in this article makes more sense to me.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Topic Author
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

tibbitts wrote:
sksbog wrote:Hello Everyone,

While it's not likely that all 4 rotors are warped, that's not a completely unreasonable diagnosis. Did they actually look at the brakes and suspension carefully, and possibly measure the rotor thickness or runout, or just listen to your description?
Yes, they looked and measured the brakes and gave me report saying that my breakers are 60% remaining till something needs to be done.
zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk »

TareNeko wrote:It's very rare that a rotor can be warped. It's a long read, but please refer to the below link.

Material transfer between the pad and the rotor is a common cause of uneven rotor thickness which causes the pulsating feeling you feel in the steering, but as mentioned in that article there are some qualifying conditions. The qualifiers being that the rotor hat and hub are in good condition and the the lugs were installed and torqued properly. I am willing to bet a fair amount of warped rotors are caused from improperly torqued lug nuts. I've done this myself. Brakes were fine until I rotated the tires and didn't torque the lugs correctly.
Worn tie rod ends as OP mentioned is another area to check.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

It is likely rotor deposits and not warped rotors. New rotors or turning the rotors will fix either of those problems.

Another possibility, assuming the tire shop didn't actually look at the brakes, is that the control arm bushings are torn. This will also causes shaking during braking.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

Add another post to the group that thinks you've got a good diagnosis (though, as mentioned, usually "warped" rotors are not warped, but uneven due to material deposits). However, turning rotors has become less common as quality rotors for many cars are cheaper than turning in a lot of cases. I've had great luck with aftermarket parts from Centric and Stop Tech. Typically, they've been under $50.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I think most of us use "warped rotor" as a generic term for a variety of problems than can be cured by either turning or replacing the rotor.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (brakes).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Talked to my bro in law who does this stuff himself. He says the cost of resurfacing rotors runs $11 each at auto shops like O'Reillys if you bring the rotors in. So if you do your own work, it would cost less than $50 to resurface all four rotors. Cost of labor to have a shop do it might run about 1 1/2 hours or maybe around $150, so your total cost from an independent might run about $200 or so, which is about what the OP is quoting. If you were to buy new rotors from O'Reilly they would run about $35-$50 each he says. So with labor you could figure replacing the rotors should run around $300-$350, or about $100-$150 more than resurfacing the existing rotors. Since the problem is with the front rotors, there is probably no reason to do the rear rotors as well if you're wanting to get by as cheaply as possible. In this case, you'd spend about $100 for resurfacing just the front rotors and about $150-$175 to replace with new rotors. All these estimates don't include brake pads and they should be replaced as well, but they are pretty inexpensive and the labor charge should be about the same as just doing the rotors.
iceport

Post by iceport »

zkzkzk wrote:

Material transfer between the pad and the rotor is a common cause of uneven rotor thickness which causes the pulsating feeling you feel in the steering, but as mentioned in that article there are some qualifying conditions. The qualifiers being that the rotor hat and hub are in good condition and the the lugs were installed and torqued properly. I am willing to bet a fair amount of warped rotors are caused from improperly torqued lug nuts. I've done this myself. Brakes were fine until I rotated the tires and didn't torque the lugs correctly.
Worn tie rod ends as OP mentioned is another area to check.
Yes, this exactly. I was going to point this out as well.

From the article:
With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing...
There are actually quite a few qualifiers there. However, in my experience as an older (50-something) driver who's paid attention to this issue for several decades now (I can't stand that common pulsation when braking), I wholeheartedly agree with zkzkzk. Some mechanic who claimed to have worked at Saab's testing facility in Georgia told me about the correlation between improperly torqued lug nuts and warped rotors.

What's actually extremely rare is to drive away from any commercial garage, car maintenance chain or car dealership that has had to remove and then re-install one or more wheels with the lug nuts on the affected wheel(s) properly and evenly torqued. It hardly ever happens.

Some shops over-torque intentionally, if carefully, so it's not necessary to re-torque after 100 miles or so of driving. The vast majority simply don't ever take the time to torque the lug nuts correctly. Many even use the same impact wrench to torque the lug nuts that they used to free the nuts in the first place, without ever bothering to use special fittings to control the torque applied.

The end result — in the vast majority of cases — is that the customer drives away with lug nuts both severely over-torqued and unevenly torqued.

(To address this issue, I try not to do any hard braking after I leave a shop, so as not to get the rotors real hot. Then when I get home, I use a torque wrench to properly and evenly re-torque the lug nuts to the owner's manual spec's. Then I re-torque after a day or two of driving.)

So, yes, warped rotors are entirely possible. The cause could well have been uneven brake material transfer, as described in the brake system article, or by over-torqued/unevenly torqued lug nuts. In either case, turning (or replacing) the rotors and replacing the brake pads (always in wheel pairs) should provide a solution. Though notice, too, that in either case, the problem could re-appear if the original cause is repeated.

And with new or turned rotor surfaces, and wheels being dismounted and remounted, there is certainly ample opportunity for a possible cause to be repeated...
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Browser

Post by Browser »

Far as I know, whenever my tires have been removed for rotating or something else, they slam them back on and use the pneumatic wrench to tighten them in about 2 seconds. I can't imagine that this in any way resembles using a torque wrench to tighten to specs. If this is something that can routinely warp brake rotors then we're all probably a little warped. Can't think of anything to do about this but always go to a good shop for tire rotations and such where you trust them to property torque the wheel nets. I guess that means not buying tires at Walmart anymore for the free lifetime rotations, eh? Or I guess drive home carefully and retorque the wheel nuts yourself, which seems a bit of a drag.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Fascinating how we cannot give medical advice here, but we can give auto advice which has similar life-threatening implications....
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I have never heard of any shop taking the time to properly torque wheels on cars. I guess this would be more of a DIY type of maintenance project. Having said that, rotors are cheap enough to replace. I think Volkswagen does not even allow their dealers to resurface rotors. That may be a profit thing, but I always felt resurfaced rotors "warped" more quickly. YMMV.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Browser wrote:Far as I know, whenever my tires have been removed for rotating or something else, they slam them back on and use the pneumatic wrench to tighten them in about 2 seconds. I can't imagine that this in any way resembles using a torque wrench to tighten to specs. If this is something that can routinely warp brake rotors then we're all probably a little warped. Can't think of anything to do about this but always go to a good shop for tire rotations and such where you trust them to property torque the wheel nets. I guess that means not buying tires at Walmart anymore for the free lifetime rotations, eh? Or I guess drive home carefully and retorque the wheel nuts yourself, which seems a bit of a drag.
My experience is that brake shudder, in varying degrees, is (or was) fairly common. Some cars may be more susceptible that others. And some drivers may notice the problem more than others.

As for re-torquing the lug nuts, on a car without wheel covers it takes about as much time, and is about as much of a drag, as unloading and putting away the groceries.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Freddy wrote:I have never heard of any shop taking the time to properly torque wheels on cars. I guess this would be more of a DIY type of maintenance project. Having said that, rotors are cheap enough to replace. I think Volkswagen does not even allow their dealers to resurface rotors. That may be a profit thing, but I always felt resurfaced rotors "warped" more quickly. YMMV.
Define properly torque. Perhaps the service manuals will have more clarification, but if you don't adequately define the design space, expect a poor torque/preload relation. More than likely you'll never get even load on each lug bolt, even if you apply the same torque. I'd expect a 25-50% variability on a dirty car lug nut or bolt for the same torque. Get a little dirt or grease in dirty threads and all of a sudden the preload really jumps. Does the service manual specify dry or lumber threads, dry or lubed between the lug and wheel face, etc. All those impact the torque/pre load a whole lot more than you may think.
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

Cool!

Something I have experience in.

OEM specifications for Lateral Run Out on brake rotors are usually something between 20 to 80 microns. Based on my experience with other JOEM companies it is probably closer to 20 microns. They probably also have a 2nd - 5th order harmonic tolerance on them as well of 2-5 microns.

Resurfacing the rotors at a repair shop will not get you anywhere near that specification. To hold that, brake manufacturers are using extremely large $300k+ turning lathes to do that. A shop lathe, not set up just right, will make it worse, not better. They may be able to get the LRO right, but they are likely to induce thickness variation defects that may be worse and depending on if it is a vented rotor or not and potentially get you below the minimum plate thickness.

There are several different things that can cause brake shudder/judder. Being that it is that old, several of the potential failure modes would have already manifested.

Does it happen no matter what speed you are going or only at certain speeds?

Personally, if it really bothered me, I would replace the rotors and only the front rotors. They are most likely the ones that are causing the NVH problem.

Avoid Chinese manufacturers like the plague. In testing they literally came apart during extreme deceleration tests where US foundry parts merely crazed.

If you can, look at the rotor before you buy it. There should be a foundry mark on them somewhere. Look for ones with a WF followed by a number in a circle on them. (Waupaca Foundry) They are of extremely good quality and manufactured in the US.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

Have an Advance Auto near? If so head over to slickdeals, grab a coupon and buy 2 new front ones and brakes. Throw them on very easily with youtube and test it out.

I've done this before (as have millions of dyi guys).
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

toofache32 wrote:Fascinating how we cannot give medical advice here, but we can give auto advice which has similar life-threatening implications....
+1! Financial advice could also have life-threatening (or at least, 86ing one's quality of life) implications.

One of my favorite uncles has gone into severe depression over his investments. Unfortunately, I have no clue what he had invested in, and what the current value of those is (not that he really needs my help as he had two grown-up kids who can definitely help him more than I could) - each time I meet him, he just goes into a rant of how he has become a pauper :oops:
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I had the same issue with my car. I measured both front rotors with a micrometer accurate to .0001. One side had thickness variations of about .0006 (right at the limitation in the manual) and the other was about .0012, twice the manufacturers recommended limit. Took the worse rotor to O'Reilly's and had it turned and it fixed the issue for $10 or $15. The tech there seemed pretty knowledgeable and did certain things like changing the orientation of the rotor after a scratch pass to ensure that it wasn't how the rotor was mounted in the machine that was causing apparent thickness variations. They also checked to make sure the rotor had enough extra thickness to safely turn. There was definitely a thickness variation in the rotor and it appears their lathe was good enough to fix the problem. I guess I could have had the wheel torqued wrong or something like that but I doubt it. Also I have only put about 2000 miles on the car since then so I can't speak for the longevity of the fix.

I'm guessing by the quote of $50 per wheel you have the hat style rotors which means it is a super easy job to take them off yourself and you don't need any special tools if you have a socket set. Take the wheel off and the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on and they will come right off. You can borrow a torque wrench for free from O'reilly and likely other auto stores as well. You can buy a micrometer as well if you want some data, they are pretty cheap, ~$20. You can use the jack for putting on the spare to get the wheel off and put the tire under the car while its off in case the jack somehow slips.

In any case its extremely unlikely that all four rotors need to be turned and you do not need to replace your pads. At a max just get the fronts turned and see if that fixes the issue or just replace the rotors since when paying mechanics prices its like $40 - $50 more to just replace both fronts. Replacement rotors may not be as good of quality as OEM so watch out for that.

Also to the poster that compared car repair advice to medical advice, that is ridiculous.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

toofache32 wrote:Fascinating how we cannot give medical advice here, but we can give auto advice which has similar life-threatening implications....
Are you also fascinated by the fact that the technicians that work on a vehicle make on the order $50k a year and doctors make 5x that much?
leod

Post by leod »

Freddy wrote:I have never heard of any shop taking the time to properly torque wheels on cars. I guess this would be more of a DIY type of maintenance project. Having said that, rotors are cheap enough to replace. I think Volkswagen does not even allow their dealers to resurface rotors. That may be a profit thing, but I always felt resurfaced rotors "warped" more quickly. YMMV.
This is true from non-dealers, mechanics just put gun the nut until its tight.
Do dealers do it? Dealers claim they torque it to spec but you dont see the mechanic working on your vehicle.
leod

Post by leod »

I also had steering shake on my honda (different model), but was fixed when I replaced the brakes and rotors. Uneven wear must be causing the shake, on my case it was the inside pads in front.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

leod wrote:
This is true from non-dealers, mechanics just put gun the nut until its tight.
Do dealers do it? Dealers claim they torque it to spec but you dont see the mechanic working on your vehicle.
The dealers here do not torque to specs. My son used to work for a few. While they may have their air impact guns set lower/higher, they do not torque the tires using a torque wrench. I'm sure they will tell you they do if you ask. A good independent shop is very valuable as he has a smaller customer base and is more responsive to customer needs and wants. He wants to keep your business. A dealer can also be either good or bad, but the mechanics are paid by flat rate and that means they get paid by what the book rate is. In other words, if they finish a five hour job in three, they still get paid for five hours. In theory, a fast mechanic can double his hourly rate for a day's work. That may, or may not, translate to a poorer job. You need to find a dealer or shop you have confidence in.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

sharpjm wrote:
Are you also fascinated by the fact that the technicians that work on a vehicle make on the order $50k a year and doctors make 5x that much?
Not sure what this means. Something is wrong with this? Surely a boglehead would recognize the difference in length of training, cost of training, and risk. Back on topic, my comment was not a comparison of jobs, but to point out how medical advice for some reason is a no-no on the forum, while this topic with similar life-threatening implications is OK. But I am not a moderator and not my call.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

toofache32 wrote: Not sure what this means. Something is wrong with this? Surely a boglehead would recognize the difference in length of training, cost of training, and risk. Back on topic, my comment was not a comparison of jobs, but to point out how medical advice for some reason is a no-no on the forum, while this topic with similar life-threatening implications is OK. But I am not a moderator and not my call.
First of all you don't need a license to work on cars.

Second, medical advice threads would degenerate into rants and anecdotes on lifestyles centered around homeopathic remedies, gluten free diets, not vaccinating, etc. Political opinion threads would do the same.
nukewerker

Post by nukewerker »

I get flywheels turned not brake rotors. Rotors are relatively cheap, pay the extra and get new rotors. I don't skimp on brakes or life insurance, everything else is negotiable.
theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech »

Crow Hunter wrote:OEM specifications for Lateral Run Out on brake rotors are usually something between 20 to 80 microns. Based on my experience with other JOEM companies it is probably closer to 20 microns. They probably also have a 2nd - 5th order harmonic tolerance on them as well of 2-5 microns.
To translate to what service personnel use, 1 micron is 0.001 millimeter, which is 0.0394 thou, roughly; 20 to 80 microns translates to 0.8<-->3.15 thou, in the vernacular of the practicing machinist. The standard for runout on a rotor, i.e. what you want, is in the range of 1<-->2 thou, installed on the car. If it's not that, you can shim it. I've seen some rotors that are badly manufactured, and can't do that out of the box, you'd have to send them back. Not common, but not unheard of.

Rather than resurface the rotors while on the car (common,) it's cheaper and better just to replace the darn things, and check the runout with a strut-mounted dial caliper to make sure everything is okay.

Bottom line: replace the rotors as part of a full front disk brake job, and the vibration will go away, PROVIDED that the front suspension and wheel balance is up to spec. (Because dealerships etc often entrust this job to "The F***ing New Guy" this is not always the way it works.)

The rear brakes have nothing to do with it.

Aside for the engineer or manager: Even if you're approaching this from a high altitude, getting your hands dirty as often as possible shouldn't be underemphasized.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

toofache32 wrote:
sharpjm wrote:
Not sure what this means. Something is wrong with this? Surely a boglehead would recognize the difference in length of training, cost of training, and risk. Back on topic, my comment was not a comparison of jobs, but to point out how medical advice for some reason is a no-no on the forum, while this topic with similar life-threatening implications is OK. But I am not a moderator and not my call.
What, exactly, is life threatening about run-of-the-mill car maintenance that any person with the most rudimentary of technical skills and ability to read can complete? If the work is such high risk, why is it placed in the hands of low-wage workers? Surely a boglehead would recognize the difference in menial tasks that have simple instructions to complete, and tasks with real life-threatening implications that requires said cost/time in training.

Might I also present to you, Exhibit A, which is a quote from the original post:
sksbog wrote:$50 per tire so $200 for all four.
The discussion is about cost of maintenance. We're not trying to cure lung cancer.
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

If you don't think tire places tighten the lug nuts to a specific torque when they reinstall your tires, you're either not paying attention or you're taking your vehicle to some shady, back alley place. Just because they use an air impact doesn't mean they're not torquing them. Torque Sticks, google them.
oc4boxer

Post by oc4boxer »

Improperly balanced wheels can cause this too. I'd make sure that isn't the case before I got an expensive brake job done.
zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk »

[quote="Cindyjrn"] Torque Sticks, google them.[/quote

If you google torque sticks long enough you will find that most good mechanics don't trust them and most manufacturers recommend verifying with a calibrated torque wrench anyhow. I bought into the idea and purchased a set. Mine were accurate to within about 10lbs, not nearly good enough for me.
wander

Post by wander »

oc4boxer wrote:Improperly balanced wheels can cause this too.
Improperly tire balanced will always shake the car, not just when braking. This problem is brake related.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

Cindyjrn wrote:If you don't think tire places tighten the lug nuts to a specific torque when they reinstall your tires, you're either not paying attention or you're taking your vehicle to some shady, back alley place. Just because they use an air impact doesn't mean they're not torquing them. Torque Sticks, google them.
An Aamco shop broke a stud on one of my wheels. Is that considered back alley?
nhdean

Post by nhdean »

I would guess front rotors. A long time General Motors sent me to AZ for the unveiling of the new XLR. The last day we went through a short track racing class and were paired with a race driver at Phoenix International Speedway. One of the things that stuck with me was that if you feel shaking in the steering wheel it is the front end. If you feel shaking in in your ass while seated it is the rear end. So I guess to sum it up, front rotors or unbalanced front tires