Multifocal Contact Lenses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Material Guy

Multifocal Contact Lenses

Post by Material Guy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:57 am

I will be going for an eye exam for contact lenses and am considering multifocal contact lenses to handle both near and distance vision. I have been using monofocal soft contact lenses for many years. I also have astigmatism and so have been using toric lenses. Does anyone here have experience with multifocal contact lenses with astigmatism correction? There appear to be several options and I am trying to educate myself before I see the optometrist. I also stare at computer screens for much of the day as part of my job. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and suggestions.
MG

climber2020

Re: Multifocal Contact Lenses

Post by climber2020 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Do a trial pair for a few weeks. Most of my patients like these, but some hate them. Only way to know is to try them out and go from there. If it fails, you can always go back to monovision.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:27 pm

As I got older and required bifocals I tried what I think is the product you mention. I found them irritating, did not really give them much of a chance during my trial. I no longer wear contacts.
4nursebee

Material Guy

Post by Material Guy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks, climber2020 and 4nursebee.

climber2020: As you suggest, I will try out a couple of pairs depending on what my optometrist recommends. Online reviews indicate what you mentioned; some people are very happy with them while others hate them. I will probably ask about progressive lenses

MG

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 am

I wear Air Optix multifocal soft lenses, and I think I even have an astigmatism correction. Hated them the first month or so, but once my eyes got used to them I like them better than any other brand I've used in the past. I wear them all day and usually don't need to refresh with contact solution.
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard

jwkde

Post by jwkde » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:17 am

I have been wearing multifocal for several years and love them. Does take some getting used to (a week or so). There are several brands out there- have them give you a trial pair of them and find the one you like best. Don't invest in a large quantity of them until you are comfortable with the ones you want.

Material Guy

Post by Material Guy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 am

jwkde, thanks for your suggestion.

I went to the optometrist and surprisingly, he was discouraging about trying multifocal contact lenses especially since I have astigmatism. He sounded as if not many people use these, and this is a large optical/opthalmology practice. He was also mentioning that these are rather expensive. I told him I would like to try a trial set anyway and he has ordered me a trial pair of Proclear multifocal toric lenses for astigmatism. I will give them a try once they come in for at least a couple of weeks.

Escape Velocity

Post by Escape Velocity » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:37 am

I will be going for an eye exam for contact lenses and am considering multifocal contact lenses to handle both near and distance vision.
I have not tried multifocal contact lenses, but have been using the "monovision" technique. This is where the dominant eye is corrected for distance viewing, the other eye gets a lower-power lens, and the brain integrates seamlessly for many people. I've been doing this for over 18 years, since I turned 40. This monovision technique has worked very well for me, so just thought I would mention it in case that is an option for you.

nchowrin

Post by nchowrin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Material Guy wrote:jwkde, thanks for your suggestion.

I went to the optometrist and surprisingly, he was discouraging about trying multifocal contact lenses especially since I have astigmatism. He sounded as if not many people use these, and this is a large optical/opthalmology practice. He was also mentioning that these are rather expensive. I told him I would like to try a trial set anyway and he has ordered me a trial pair of Proclear multifocal toric lenses for astigmatism. I will give them a try once they come in for at least a couple of weeks.
I've been wearing multi-focal contact lenses for years and I have significant astigmatism. I'm very happy with the results. It did take some time to get fitted correctly. It can be a fine balance between giving you better close-up vision and still retaining good distance vision. Also note that I use hard multi-focal lenses, not soft. It looks like the ones ordered are soft. If you can adapt to hard lenses I would recommend them over soft. Hard lenses can last for years, give better vision, are more gas permeable than soft and since they contain little water are not likely to cause an infection. Of course, I do have to remove & clean them overnight. Replacement lenses usually cost around $65 through my VSP insurance. I don't recall what the full cost is without the insurance, but it's not that much more expensive. It also sounds like your current optometrist isn't all that enthusiastic about multi-focal lenses and your results can GREATLY depend on the experience of the optometrist fitting you with the lenses. Experience with fitting is very important. I'd suggest finding an optometrist who specializes in fitting multi-focal contact lenses.