What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
poker27

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by poker27 »

I dont believe my Vanguard taxable app is smart enough to tell me what I am up ytd. My fidelity 401k (60 US stocks, 20intl, 20 bonds) is up 3%
Uncle Pennybags

Re: What are you up YTD?

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

Bacchus01 wrote:9.0% YTD. That includes contributions though. About half contributions and half growth, so around 4.5%.
Oh, Beardstown Ladies accounting I'm up 30%; all after tax. :mrgreen:
vitaflo

Re: What are you up YTD?

Post by vitaflo »

pennstater2005 wrote:
For me, on the "my home" page you can see the personal performance graph. Underneath it, it says "performance details". I just clicked on that and then onto "investment prices and returns" and there are all the returns of my fund(s) including: YTD and 1,3,5 and 10 year returns.
Those are the returns for the individual funds, that's not the return of your own portfolio.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

My puny little trading account is up roughly $6,000 ($122K => $128K). It's not huge, but green is better than red.

Then, again, I've been selling into the rally. It's much easier to sell into a rally than sell into a slump.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

2015 XIRR = 8.17%, which is an annualized figure, so YTD = 4.00%.

1 year return since 7/2/14 XIRR = 2.43%

Not Beardstown figures.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

50/50 asset allocation, retired, age 69.

Up 1.77% YTD per Morningstar portfolio manager.

Best by far is Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MnD

Post by MnD »

2.93%
75/25 with equities 47:53 US:ex-US
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

So far through 6/30, I have beat my benchmark by 44%.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

+4.03% per Morningstar

International SCV is carrying the load.
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Trying to trade in this market (in my "fun money" account") is useless. The S+P just keeps dancing around +/- 5 points. Only a HFT trader can make a buck today. I have an order, which I suspect will not be filled, anticipating Armeggadon.

Look on the bright side. Our ATMs work, and they spew out actual currency.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

john94549 wrote: I have an order, which I suspect will not be filled, anticipating Armeggadon.
Argh, it filled. Oh, well.

Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

The life of a contrarian.

I try to look at the bright side. Our ATMs still work.
Last edited by john94549 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

livesoft wrote:So far through 6/30, I have beat my benchmark by 44%.
What's your benchmark - TVIX or RUSS (crappy leveraged ETFs), or something more normal?
CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain »

4% international bond
13% cash
18% US bond
19% international stock
46% US stock

Annnnnd.......

2% XIRR as of market close today. Putting a rebalance order in last Friday didn't help. Oh well.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tanelorn wrote:
What's your benchmark - TVIX or RUSS (crappy leveraged ETFs), or something more normal?
I have mentioned my benchmarks many times on the forum. Vanguard Life Strategy Moderate Growth VSMGX is a great 60/40 benchmark that I am writing about here since my portfolio is about 60/40.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

livesoft wrote:
Tanelorn wrote:
I have mentioned my benchmarks many times on the forum. Vanguard Life Strategy Moderate Growth VSMGX is a great 60/40 benchmark that I am writing about here since my portfolio is about 60/40.
So you're up 45% or so, since VSMGX is up 1.7% YTD or thereabouts? With 100%+ annualized returns, you should clearly start a fund!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

You're funny! I didn't write that I was up 45% or even 44%.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

livesoft wrote:You're funny! I didn't write that I was up 45% or even 44%.
Well I figured you didn't have to be up at all, given a sufficiently bad benchmark, but I didn't think you'd express performance as a multiplier (1.44x) rather than an absolute difference (*). Misleading but truthful statistics suggesting wildly good performance? You definitely could have had a career as a fund manger ;).

* - it would have been even more funny if your benchmark had been mildly negative instead of mildly positive. -2% benchmark and I beat it by 50%, ie -3%.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have come to realize that many of the performance numbers posted are calculated all kinds of different ways without any consistency whatsoever. And even if they are calculated correctly the calculation is done for a subset of accounts, as in "Oh, I didn't include the 80% of my portfolio in cash."

I am still puzzled by Jerry55's post:
Averaging them all out 4.26%

(6 funds, TSP = C,S,I + Dodge & Cox International, Wellesley and Wellington)
cfs

Post by cfs »

Good conversation. Good updates. And as far as my boring SWAN or sleep well at night portfolio all I can say is "Hanging in there."

(1) Bucket 1 on track (planned for withdrawals age 62-72)
(2) Bucket 2 on track (planned for withdrawals age 72-82).
(3) Bucket 3 on track (planned for withdrawals age 82-EOL).

As discussed in previous conversations, what I track is the overall portfolio "growth" which includes total return and new money invested. Overall, on the green with single digit "growth" in all three buckets, with bucket 3 leading the charge. Praise the Lord, doing fine (I will praise the Lord regardless of my gains or loses), Sigamos pues.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

negative 10bps so far. 65/35 SWAN
Jerry55

Post by Jerry55 »

livesoft wrote:I have come to realize that many of the performance numbers posted are calculated all kinds of different ways without any consistency whatsoever. And even if they are calculated correctly the calculation is done for a subset of accounts, as in "Oh, I didn't include the 80% of my portfolio in cash."

I am still puzzled by Jerry55's post:
Averaging them all out 4.26%

(6 funds, TSP = C,S,I + Dodge & Cox International, Wellesley and Wellington)

I just simply added up each of the 6 funds YTD gain (6 funds) and divided by 6 to get an average.
I'm lazy, but I guess it's fair. My funds held in an online savings account at less than 1% is insignificant,
so they were not included. It's less than 5% of my investments. :happy
Retired CSRS on 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years | Good Bye Tension, Hello Pension !!!
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

AA 80/20 (50/50 international on equities): +2.81%
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

3.37% through June 30
55% stocks, of which 50% international.
Gattamelata

Post by Gattamelata »

livesoft wrote:
Tanelorn wrote:
Please do not read any livesoft post without first reading every other livesoft post.
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

livesoft wrote:I have come to realize that many of the performance numbers posted are calculated all kinds of different ways without any consistency whatsoever. And even if they are calculated correctly the calculation is done for a subset of accounts, as in "Oh, I didn't include the 80% of my portfolio in cash."
I've built the wiki:Calculating personal returns spreadsheet specifically to allow Bogleheads to easily calculate and report their personal returns in a uniform manner.

Of course, one needs to enter the value of their overall monthly portfolio balance as well as all monthly contributions (including employer match) and withdrawals to correctly calculate overall portfolio returns.

It's up to Bogleheads to adopt the spreadsheet (and suggest modifications, if necessary) or not.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
bayview

Post by bayview »

longinvest wrote:
I've built the wiki:Calculating personal returns spreadsheet specifically to allow Bogleheads to easily calculate and report their personal returns in a uniform manner.

Of course, one needs to enter the value of their overall monthly portfolio balance as well as all monthly contributions (including employer match) and withdrawals to correctly calculate overall portfolio returns.

It's up to Bogleheads to adopt the spreadsheet (and suggest modifications, if necessary) or not.
longinvest, this is a great service on your part. Many thanks. :beer

Using the wiki referenced above, with all the contributions entered, I get:

investor return: 3.67%
portfolio return: 1.84% (YTD figure)

I still don't completely grasp why there's such a huge difference, but I accept that there is. At any rate, I'm not entering all that stuff again. :D

48% Treasury funds (mostly intermediate-term) + G fund
40% total US market + cobbled-together C and S fund
12% total international + I fund (not yet bothering with trying to add in EM and poor neglected Canada)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
ANC

Post by ANC »

+2.5% on a 55S/27B/18C portfolio.

A tilt to US large cap growth seems to have provided a small boost, while keeping international at around 25% of stocks.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

bayview wrote:I still don't completely grasp why there's such a huge difference, but I accept that there is.
I suspect the investor return is the YTD return annualized. Since only 6 months of the year is behind us, the annualized return is just twice the YTD return because 12 months divided by 6 months is 2.
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

livesoft wrote:
bayview wrote:I still don't completely grasp why there's such a huge difference, but I accept that there is.
I suspect the investor return is the YTD return annualized. Since only 6 months of the year is behind us, the annualized return is just twice the YTD return because 12 months divided by 6 months is 2.
The YTD portfolio return is not annualized. Investor return (internal rate of return) is annualized. I could try to fix it not to annualize for periods smaller than one year.
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (bogleheads.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287967)
packer16

Post by packer16 »

+14.2% YTD in stocks account - including some foreign/EM exposure (S. Korea pfds, Brazil & Greece)
+4.7% YTD in retirement - can only invest in funds.

We will see if this holds through the rest of the year. Last year I was ahead of the market but a good number of my EM and SCV value stocks nosedived into year-end.

Packer
Buy cheap and something good might happen
Vega

Post by Vega »

-2% in my 401k (started in April) I'd be interested to see my IRA. I'm going to go calculate and post it.
15% Large Cap, 30% Mid Cap, 15% REIT, 10% EM, 25% LT Bond, 5% TIPs
camper

Post by camper »

Up 2.28%
Portfolio is:
80/20 stock/bond
60/40 US/Intl
50/50 large/small
with 10% stock allocation to reit
Vega

Post by Vega »

+ 7.51% in my IRA. I currently don't follow passive indexing in this account.
15% Large Cap, 30% Mid Cap, 15% REIT, 10% EM, 25% LT Bond, 5% TIPs
Netherworld

Post by Netherworld »

basically flat.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

+1.70% on 37% equity/63% fixed. Over 30% of fixed income is in CDs yielding 3% or SV yielding 1.9% which boosts the fixed income. Bond funds are almost flat except for HY at +1.9%.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

3.03% ytd as of 6-30-2015.

62% equity (36% int'l; 64% domestic); 30% fixed; 8% cash
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Sconie wrote:3.03% ytd as of 6-30-2015.

This performance is totally amazing as it is double what index funds with a similar asset allocation have done. What's your secret?
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

livesoft wrote:

This performance is totally amazing as it is double what index funds with a similar asset allocation have done. What's your secret?
I'm 60/40 like Sconie and have 4.00% YTD, but I'm 60/40 international/domestic. Does that make so much of a difference?
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Netherworld wrote:basically flat.
Yeah, same here. Got a slim $4,849.00 gain on a 7 figure portfolio with a 35% equity/65% bond allocation. I'll take it. :sharebeer
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

livesoft wrote:

If Sconie had a heavy small-cap tilt in international, and had some high-performing fixed income instruments (e.g. TIAA traditional of good vintages and/or corporate high-yield funds), Sconie could get within striking distance of 3.0%. THe 8% cash position probably makes it impossible to get all the way there with Vanguard index funds, but bring in the DFA international small fund (+10% YTD) and you've got a path to 3.0%.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Here is what I think might be going on in some instances: Folks using the XIRR algorithm are only putting the dates from 01/01/2015 to 06/30/2015 which gives double their true YTD return. If one puts the dates 01/01/2015 to 12/31/2015, then the YTD return is correct.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Aptenodytes wrote:If Sconie had a heavy small-cap tilt in international, and had some high-performing fixed income instruments (e.g. TIAA traditional of good vintages and/or corporate high-yield funds), Sconie could get within striking distance of 3.0%.
You have described my portfolio (see for instance viewtopic.php?t=150267). Half my international is in VSS (small-cap foreign) which is up about 8% this year. Also I do not have 38% bond+cash, instead I have about 7% TREA, 3% TIAA, 10% short-term corporate bond index all of which have outperformed total US Bond index so far this year. And the 20% remaining of the portfolio is Total US Bond Index.

And yes, the YTD return of my portfolio is within striking distance of 3%, but not 4%, unless I use the dates 01/01/2015 to 06/30/2015.

And this date issue shows up if one uses programs like Quicken or MS Money to do the calculations. One has to select the full year or the result will be "annualized" for you or about double at this time of year.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

livesoft wrote:Here is what I think might be going on in some instances: Folks using the XIRR algorithm are only putting the dates from 01/01/2015 to 06/30/2015 which gives double their true YTD return. If one puts the dates 01/01/2015 to 12/31/2015, then the YTD return is correct.
is the rate of return "x" from 1/1/15-6/30/15 solved where x = (1+XIRR)^0.5?

It is quite possible I'm not calculating correctly. I calculate XIRR 8.17% so my return for H1 is 4.00%.

Our retirement portfolio is

36% international stocks, mostly total international with some VSS
24% US stocks, mostly S&P500 and total stock with just a smattering of VBR
18% stable value fund paying 1.5%
17% total bond
5% I bonds
bayview

Post by bayview »

longinvest wrote:
livesoft wrote:
The YTD portfolio return is not annualized. Investor return (internal rate of return) is annualized. I could try to fix it not to annualize for periods smaller than one year.
Thanks to both of you for the explanation. I usually look at last 12 instead, so it's no big deal to me.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Let's try an experiment.

Suppose one bought 1000 shares of a fund on December 31, 2014 that closed at $24.08 a share. And then one made no other purchases through 6/30/2015 from the outside, but one did reinvest the dividend of $241 (0.241 per share) on 6/26 at $24.52 a share, and the fund closed at $24.24 a share on 6/30/2015.

What would one's YTD return to 6/30/2015 be?
camper

Post by camper »

camper wrote:Up 2.28%
Portfolio is:
80/20 stock/bond
60/40 US/Intl
50/50 large/small
with 10% stock allocation to reit
This is how I calculated our YTD...

(1+XIRR)^(181/365)-1
abyan

Post by abyan »

YTD +3.6%

I'm 30% international. That helped. This year, at least.
jbk

Post by jbk »

2.73% through June 30th on a 70/15/15 allocation (equity/TREA/TIAA Trad.)
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

livesoft wrote:Let's try an experiment.

Suppose one bought 1000 shares of a fund on December 31, 2014 that closed at $24.08 a share. And then one made no other purchases through 6/30/2015 from the outside, but one did reinvest the dividend of $241 (0.241 per share) on 6/26 at $24.52 a share, and the fund closed at $24.24 a share on 6/30/2015.

What would one's YTD return to 6/30/2015 be?
Without a calculator, you had $24080 and now have about $24240+about $240=$24480. Return is the difference of $400/$24080 or 1.66%
macheta

Post by macheta »

9.6%=

2.45% Investment gain
7.15% Contributions

The account needs to hit five percent investment return this year to hit the planned target. There is a good chance of hitting this mark.