Chromebooks- What is the lure?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jetpack

Re: Chromebooks- What is the lure?

Post by Jetpack »

Hulu wrote:Has anyone tried remote desktop on their Chromebook? I'm wondering if you can harness your work's processing power while having all the perks of a Chromebook. That would be fantastic. I have Citrix Remote Desktop.

Hulu,

I didn't see an answer to your question so I'll chime in. I use the remote desktop option on m y Chromebook all the time. I have an old 2009 Sony Vaio at home and remote into it when I need to do something that can't be done on a Chromebook. Specifically, to use YNAB. YNAB can be done on a Chromebook if you go through the process of dual booting with Linux, but I didn't want the hassle, so I just remote into my Sony and open up YNAB and take care of business.

Just to test the limits, I've also remoted into the Sony via the Chromebook and watched a 1080 HD movie that was playing on my Sony. The chromebook meets my needs 98% of the time and the other 2% I'll remote into the Sony and do what I need to do.

Hope this helps answer your question.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Back when I was with EDS and the desktop computing revolution was taking off some users were saying we didn't need the IPCs (Information Processing Centers) anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if the clouds they are probably enamored with now are running in the same IPCs.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Sunny. For the work I did the "mainframe" was a whole lot more than a single computer. It was a whole room full of servers and big computers and printers and disk drives and specialized processors and communications gear, etc.. Heck my brother and I were sending terminal messages between the US and Malaysia in 1975 (before email and before texting and cheaper than long distance phone back then) because we figured out our two mainframes were hooked together via communications lines. I ran big logic testing simulations for a LSI chip before the Intel 4004 processor in 1972 on a mainframe via a terminal. So yes I know what thin clients are and I still hate them. Do you really want your work product and group and your life to be slaved to and controlled by some outside "cloud" provider. I don't.
wishin&hopin

Post by wishin&hopin »

A bit of a tangent: I've been puzzled by Chromebook reviewers who recommend that users obtain a mouse to compensate for inferior touchpads, even with touchscreen Chromebooks. Doesn't the touchscreen eliminate the need for a mouse?
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

sunny_socal wrote:What - you're still using a desktop computer today?

I've been in a thin client environment for years. These days it's called Linux View, MFU, VNC. Basically you just run a client to connect to a remote computer from anywhere. I do have a laptop, yes, but it's only for Office and for the thin client. The remote computer is no longer a mainframe but rather a cluster of disks and computers.
The thing about "thin clients" is that the CPU (and other resources) needed to run the client is in many cases an order of magnitude more than is needed to run whatever you are running on the server. Sooner or later this will be noticed and another cycle will begin.

Local CPUs and storage continue to get cheaper faster than networks do. Indeed one of the main ways networks improve is using cheap CPU cycles (e.g. Video over ethernet and remote desktop do not work well without compression and digital signal processing.) Replacing cheap CPUs with more expensive networks is not a win.

On the other hand, replacing expensive system administrators with less expensive networks can be a win, this is really what Chromebooks are about.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Yes managing complex desktops/laptops or fully loaded Unix boxes with lots of applications is hard. So yes I do see some classes of users being forced to use complex "public machines". We did that back when by putting big complex SUN workstations and big special logic processors in a special "design center" so we had our own mini-data center. And we also limited what software could be loaded to user laptop and desktop machines to limit maintenance. But when we did this we were always aware that we were limiting what workers ingenuity could do to make work easier or limiting how they could make better design solutions.

By the way this management issue is also why I see Apple getting more and more market share over time unless Windows 10 is different. That closed environment just makes complex machines easier to manage so Apple machines just don't break much versus Windows machines.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

JMacDonald wrote:
protagonist wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:This conversation has me interested is getting one for traveling. Here is one I found on Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-11-6-c ... Id=8610161 It seems so cheap, I am wondering if it is worth buying? Thanks.
I was thinking that traveling would be a good use for one as well.

That said, traveling is when you are most likely to not have wifi access. So it could be frustrating, no?
I would use it at motels with wifi, and various restaurants. No different than what I do now. I would rather take an inexpensive laptop than my MacBook Pro.
I went to Best Buy this morning and bought the Acer in the above link. I took it home and turned it on, and the Welcome screen did not come on. Some sort of factory screen popped up. I couldn't get to work. I took it back to Best Buy. They couldn't get it to work either. I got my money back. I'll stick with my MacBook Pro.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

nisiprius wrote: Incidentally, on the whole I think the "One Laptop Per Child" and the XOXO machines were pretty much failures, but I think it's a darned shame because tablets should cost $100, not $300.
I'm about to take a $34 gamble to convert my Nook HD+ tablet, which I bought for $80, into a 64 gb Android 4.4 tablet running Cyanogenmod with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nook-Tablet-to- ... 4ad7953375

For the price I'd rather not waste my time trying to root it myself. No idea if it will work.

I agree with you about the fate of operating systems. I hardly ever use my tablet. Maybe this will make me use mine more.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I didn't read any of the other replies, but I'll just give you my reason.

99% of my computer use is just going online. Even though I had Norton on my computer, I had numerous issues with viruses and several times I had to do a system restore. I never knew anything about Chromebooks, but when I did a little research, it sounded like it could work for me.

It is such a pleasure not having to wait for all my programs do load when I just want to go online. I open up the Chromebook and within seconds I'm online. No more viruses issues and buying virus protection that doesn't do the job anyway. No more pop-up blockers to worry about and I could pay my bills and do all my online stuff with no stress.

For the 1% of the time where I need to print a word processing document, I type it in Google docs and e-mail it to myself and print it from my work computer.

I also love to store all my photos in the cloud and never have to worry about losing my pictures due to a faulty hard drive. I'm not a power user and like I said I really need it for online use. I will never go back to a PC again. I love my Chromebook I bought on Amazon for $175.00. It's an ASUS.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I just spent a couple of my evening hours trying to get a computer-indigent friend's Sony Vaio, circa 2011 on Windows 7 Home Premium, to print to a new HP Deskjet. Apps were writing files to the print spooler thru some HP and MS drivers, then the Spooler was reporting the job as printing successfully, yet no print appeared. I searched the internet exhaustively for a solution, and tried a dozen approaches, but no go. Going deep, Process Monitor showed me which driver file was the culprit, and when I renamed it, it was replaced by the correct HP version on next driver install. What a PITA. My friend would have never been able to figure it out, nor would HP tech support in India.

So that's a big appeal of a Chromebook - it would be just fine for my friend to reorder items from his distributor, print PDFs, web surf, gmail, etc...without all the Windows drama of broken updates, bad drivers, and deep dives into the OS.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

/////
Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boffalora

Post by boffalora »

Everyone here is right on track with the advantages of a Chromebook. It is not a replacement for a PC except for certain individuals.

- My wife and I are retired, but we are both active leaders in volunteer organizations. We both need and use high-end laptops normally reserved for gamers (32Gb RAM in both machines) and fully equipped with Office 365 and other utility software as needed. That said, when we travel and are in a wi-fi equipped hotel room, having a fast, lightweight machine is fast and desirable. Since both of us either share documents as attachments or use Google Drive in groups, the Chromebook gives us all the utility we need. Should we need to print an attachment when in a hotel, we simply email it to the front desk and ask them to print it for us.

- A friend is very business computer literate but her retired husband is not. She was forever fixing his online PC missteps. She asked for help in selecting a machine that frankly, he could not screw up. Chromebook to the rescue! They are both happy with that choice. There is nothing for him to mistakenly download. He just periodically deletes his browser history and continues on. Although it is possible to network the Chromebook via Google itself to their printer, I recommended that he email his desired print jobs to his wife, who can then print from her Win 7 business laptop.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Lynette the security of a Chrome Book is medium at best. It can get goofed up and hacked just like your old PC if you use it in funny places like the local coffee shop or your neighbors unsecure Wi FI connection. Plus if you are really targeted by some bad guys or the gov't (see below) the security in the device is just not that good.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... hromebook/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413773,00.asp
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/ne ... extensions
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-reasons- ... ty-issues/

So Lynette you better make sure you are always using your Chrome book at home on you own secure Wi-Fi connection or your security is terrible. If you use a chrome book on any public Wi-Fi you are likely to get your passwords stolen and your accounts messed with. And even using your friends Wi FI may not be very secure unless that friend is really security conscious and has turned on all the proper features in the router.

Good Luck
Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

My cousin bought a Chromebook for his wife. She spends much of her free time on Facebook, and according to my cousin, the reason he bought the Chromebook was because the salesman explain to him that it was much harder for Facebook to glean personal information from a Chromebook than it was from a Windows machine. . . . Is there any truth to this claim, or is this just good salesman B.S.?

Thanks.
roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle »

They're great for basic tasks. Inexpensive, efficient, reliable, and low maintenance. Some of the older models can also be upgraded (originally, ram and HD, then just the HD) and tweaked to run *nix and in some cases windows.
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Is there anything you can do on a Chromebook when internet service is lacking? For example, can a calendar be accessed? Or, can ebooks be stored on the Chromebook and read when there is no internet?

Thanks.
conroy

Post by conroy »

Shadow_Dancer wrote:My cousin bought a Chromebook for his wife. She spends much of her free time on Facebook, and according to my cousin, the reason he bought the Chromebook was because the salesman explain to him that it was much harder for Facebook to glean personal information from a Chromebook than it was from a Windows machine. . . . Is there any truth to this claim, or is this just good salesman B.S.?
No, I don't think that's true. Facebook gets personal information from what you enter and post, and when you browse around the web after being on FB, along with what other people enter about you. It shouldn't take information from the rest of your machine..
just frank

Post by just frank »

A big market is as a kids' homework computer.

After the 3rd grade or so, most kids have to make typed essays and multimedia presentations for HW, using online resources.

A $200 refurb tosh chromebook is perfect:

Zero maintenance....its all automatically backed up to the cloud, and all apps autosave all content. If they physically destroyed it, buy a new one, log in and their desktop is as it was before.
No hard drive to crash, or reformat.
App install is seamless...kids can search themselves for (mostly free) apps to do what they need, and download/install them themselves in seconds.
All HW content in cloud can be easily accessed in school....the kid can't 'forget' their homework (or USB drive).
Kids can work on HW anywhere....don't need a desktop and desk cluttering a home office, living room, kitchen, or worse...their bedroom. Going out of town for the weekend, kids can do a little HW while away.
Two kids? You can afford to get them each their own chromebook. No fights.
Game selection is limited...educational/flash games work great (better than Apple), hardcore games are not available...also a big plus.

Most important: Kids first extended usage of computers is not with an obsolete, frustrating mass of bloatware...prepare them for the future.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Reading everybody's posts here, it seems like a Chromebook would be a perfect gift for my girlfriend. She has an old clunky Mac desktop (2011?) that takes forever to boot up and an even more ancient iPad. I think I'll get her one for her birthday. Maybe she will even let me use it (laughing). I take it that you log in as you would when checking your gmail to access all your files, so I could use her Chromebook, and all of her stuff and my stuff would automatically be private since we would use separate logins?

Re: Facebook and privacy.... why anybody would not use a pseudonym and a dummy email address and demographics, given how much data is constantly mined, is beyond me. I have done so since I first started using Facebook in 2005. Could Zuckerberg find me if he really wanted? Of course. But he must have bigger fish to fry, because to date I have no evidence that he has, and it hasn't adversely affected the functionality for me. Everybody that I care about knows who I am.
just frank

Post by just frank »

protagonist wrote:Reading everybody's posts here, it seems like a Chromebook would be a perfect gift for my girlfriend. She has an old clunky Mac desktop (2011?) that takes forever to boot up and an even more ancient iPad. I think I'll get her one for her birthday. Maybe she will even let me use it (laughing). I take it that you log in as you would when checking your gmail to access all your files, so I could use her Chromebook, and all of her stuff and my stuff would automatically be private since we would use separate logins?
Yes. My two kids can use each others' computers this way (e.g., if we were traveling with just one) with no oogey 'she messed up my desktop' issues. Takes <10 secs to log out and log back in.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Just a comment

When I sign in to my Chromebook and view BH, the fonts are larger then when I use my Chromebook in guest mode. I guess my Chromebook knows I am an old guy and is trying to make things easier to read. :)
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Public Networks like Starbucks and motels networks are routinely spoofed by hackers to glean user passwords and user names. Then the hackers use this info to log into that website as you and pretend to be you. Maybe they can then get enough info to go to your bank account and use that same user name and password. So maybe you are Ok and maybe not.

Good Luck
Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Lynette wrote:Btenny, I don't use my Chromebook when I travel. I use it at home instead of my iPad. I use it on my own network. I know that nothing is completely secure but I think the Chromebook is better than Windows. I don't store stuff in the Cloud. When I travel, I take my Surface Pro 3 as I want to use Photoshop Elements for my photos.

Thanks for the warning on using Public networks. Am I OK if I only access sites such as Bogleheads or the NYTimes. I have a subscription for the NYTimes. I am logged in but I think my password is encrypted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lynette --

I have lifted the following post (see below) from another Chromebook thread on this site. The poster speaks to how he feels that he had made his Chromebook more secure. When I purchase a Chromebook, I intend to look into his recommendations . . .

Source: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... n#p2495274

Posted by Blues Wed May 20, 2015 10:35 am

Browser wrote:
Can you do without virus and malware programs? That would be great also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Blues responded:

There are no AV's [antiviruses] for Chromebook (that I'm aware of) but I do use a very few extensions which can enhance security.
(The extensions require little or no user input once set.)

Adblock Plus can, depending on the subscriptions you choose, greatly reduce the number of ads and tracking bots as well as prevent surfing to known malware domains and sites. Worth a look.

I also use HTTPS Everywhere, Disconnect and LastPass.

Your needs and mileage may vary, naturally.

Oh, and another thing you may want to do is change the DNS server over to something like OpenDNS or Norton ConnectSafe.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

wishin&hopin wrote:A bit of a tangent: I've been puzzled by Chromebook reviewers who recommend that users obtain a mouse to compensate for inferior touchpads, even with touchscreen Chromebooks. Doesn't the touchscreen eliminate the need for a mouse?
Using the mouse vs the touchscreen is not limited Chromebooks. The same preference applies to PCs with touchscreens. I prefer a mouse and use it on both my desktop and my travel lightweight 2-in-1 and I suspect many more users do the same. Actually, at times I combine use of the two on the same project.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Well, you all convinced me not to buy one for myself...at least not for now....but rather to buy one for my gf (I think...hope... it would be perfect for her, and maybe she will even let me try it. Anyway she will probably love me for it, which is a good thing. Beats roses.)

I just ordered her this one. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-chromebook/

It seems to universally get the best reviews. I bought it via Walmart for $279, free shipping. It is the same price on Amazon, but Walmart is more convenient for returns, etc. I couldn't find a better price except for a refurb, and the amount I would save on a refurb does not seem like it would be worth the risk, especially as a gift. Just a heads up in case others are interested.

As for myself, I will try to get by with my Yoga 13 with the dead battery....it still works fine when plugged in....combined with my Nook HD+ tablet which I just paid $34 to expand the memory and root to Android 4.4/Cyanogenmod. If that carries me to the end of the year with no major problems or inconvenience, I will buy a new computer then (perhaps a Dell XPS 13 or equivalent). It would be nice to give Windows 10 a chance to prove itself first....plus I imagine a lot of new machines will be available due to the new Windows release, and some of the older ones will come down in price.

Re: security issues with Chromebook.....Is it less secure when surfing the web in public places (eg when traveling) than a Windows machine? A cursory google search (security chromebook vs windows) seems to suggest otherwise. Here is one example: http://www.computerworld.com/article/24 ... eling.html
Last edited by protagonist on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Lynette wrote:Thanks Shadow Dancer. I'm too lazy to use a Password Manager at this stage. Lynette

Hmmm, I thought that using a password manager WAS the lazy person's approach. One password, I never type in a site's password (no key logger to get you) and I can generate random passwords with the click of the mousepad. FYI, I use Lastpass but it is not the only good choice. :D
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Lynette wrote:Thanks Shadow Dancer. I installed Adblock Plus and Disconntect. HTTPS Everywhere had some review that it was a memory hog. I'm too lazy to use a Password Manager at this stage. As I mentioned I don't travel with my Chromebook but only with my Surface Pro 3. Thanks for the information.

Lynette
Try Ghostery. I use https everywhere. ABP, AVG Do Not Track, Java script popup blocker, Ghostery, Flash Block (on Chrome on my Windows machine). I also surf in incognito mode as default. If it uses much memory, I have not noticed.

I have rarely had any moderately serious viruses and I have used Windows since Windows 95. Never anything I could not cure. I only use a free online antivirus program (Bitdefender currently though I have changed), and occasionally run Malwarebytes and CCleaner (not as often as I should). I think the risk of serious damage is rare, at least from personal experience.
Last edited by protagonist on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Lynette wrote:Thanks Shadow Dancer. I installed Adblock Plus and Disconntect. HTTPS Everywhere had some review that it was a memory hog. I'm too lazy to use a Password Manager at this stage. As I mentioned I don't travel with my Chromebook but only with my Surface Pro 3. Thanks for the information.

Lynette
I'd recommend you try HTTPS Everywhere for yourself before writing it off due to "some review". If you don't like it, it's a one click removal from your Chromebook. It has some very useful features.

Adblock Plus has a variety of subscriptions which you can use. They are worth perusing to see which is most important for your usage.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

btenny wrote:Public Networks like Starbucks and motels networks are routinely spoofed by hackers to glean user passwords and user names. Then the hackers use this info to log into that website as you and pretend to be you. Maybe they can then get enough info to go to your bank account and use that same user name and password. So maybe you are Ok and maybe not.
Fair concern, but this threat applies to all computers (Windows, Mac,Chromebook).

Use a VPN and set up two-factor authentication on your accounts, regardless of which type of computer you're using.
wishin&hopin

Post by wishin&hopin »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
wishin&hopin wrote:Using the mouse vs the touchscreen is not limited Chromebooks. The same preference applies to PCs with touchscreens. I prefer a mouse and use it on both my desktop and my travel lightweight 2-in-1 and I suspect many more users do the same. Actually, at times I combine use of the two on the same project.
Thanks for your insights. If I'm going to need a mouse anyway, then perhaps I should forgo the touchscreen version, since it's more expensive. (I don't like touchpads at all.)
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

wishin&hopin wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
wishin&hopin wrote:Using the mouse vs the touchscreen is not limited Chromebooks. The same preference applies to PCs with touchscreens. I prefer a mouse and use it on both my desktop and my travel lightweight 2-in-1 and I suspect many more users do the same. Actually, at times I combine use of the two on the same project.
Thanks for your insights. If I'm going to need a mouse anyway, then perhaps I should forgo the touchscreen version, since it's more expensive. (I don't like touchpads at all.)
If one man's experience means anything, I bought my Yoga 13 about 2 years ago thinking that I would love the flexibility of using it both as a regular computer and a touchscreen tablet. I almost NEVER use the touchscreen. Occasionally I will watch a movie in "tent" mode and use it to hit the play or pause.....not much more than that. I would not be surprised if I am in the majority. A light, portable laptop plus a separate wireless mouse and keyboard and large monitor is the perfect setup for me....I only use the touchpad when not at my desk, and even then I bring a wireless mouse and keyboard if I am doing any serious work. The accessories are worth the investment and will probably outlive the computer, maybe several computers.
Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Hondo wrote:Is there anything you can do on a Chromebook when internet service is lacking? . . . can ebooks be stored on the Chromebook and read when there is no internet?

Thanks.
Hondo --

This article may provide an answer to part of your question . . .

How to Read Kindle Books Offline on a Chromebook
http://www.omgchrome.com/kindle-cloud-r ... hromebook/
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

protagonist wrote:As for myself, I will try to get by with my Yoga 13 with the dead battery....it still works fine when plugged in
Here's a crazy idea. When your girlfriend's Chromebook arrives, set up an account for yourself as well, and then use Chrome's Remote Desktop to connect to your Yoga. Your Yoga will have to be fully on (not hibernating or sleeping), but you can just leave it plugged in somewhere and access it through the Chromebook. You don't even have to be at home to do this. You could be at a Starbuck's down the street or in a guest house in Kathmandu. You'll have full control to launch programs, open files, watch movies, etc. That way, you don't have to worry about your battery life, can experiment with a Chromebook, and yet have access to your Yoga when you need it.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

CFM300 wrote:
protagonist wrote:As for myself, I will try to get by with my Yoga 13 with the dead battery....it still works fine when plugged in
Here's a crazy idea. When your girlfriend's Chromebook arrives, set up an account for yourself as well, and then use Chrome's Remote Desktop to connect to your Yoga. Your Yoga will have to be fully on (not hibernating or sleeping), but you can just leave it plugged in somewhere and access it through the Chromebook. You don't even have to be at home to do this. You could be at a Starbuck's down the street or in a guest house in Kathmandu. You'll have full control to launch programs, open files, watch movies, etc. That way, you don't have to worry about your battery life, can experiment with a Chromebook, and yet have access to your Yoga when you need it.

Can I really do that? If I leave my Yoga plugged in and running at home I can set it up on a remote desktop and the Chrome would effectively run as a Windows machine and run all of my programs, etc?? I could do that traveling as well, as long as I have a web connection? I didn't know that Chromebook was capable of that. Has anybody here tried this, and does it work well?
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

protagonist wrote:Can I really do that?
Yes.
protagonist wrote:I didn't know that Chromebook was capable of that.
It's actually a Chrome browser thing, not a Chromebook-specific feature. As long as I both computers have the Chrome browser installed (along with the Chrome Remote Desktop app) it will work. Could be Windows to Mac, Mac to Windows, Chromebook to Windows, etc.
protagonist wrote:Has anybody here tried this, and does it work well?
I've tried it. Works fine, although applications that depend on fast screen-updating may be slow or stutter. For instance, when I remotely watched a film on my Chromebook, it wasn't the best video quality. (Film was running in VLC on my Windows machine; was watching remotely on my Chromebook.) Not sure if that's because of my Windows machine, my Chromebook (which is two years old at this point), or because of my internet connection. But everything else was fine. Ran Excel, including VBA code no problem.

Give it a try when your gf's Chromebook arrives. Or try it now, with any two computers.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

protagonist wrote:
CFM300 wrote:

Can I really do that? If I leave my Yoga plugged in and running at home I can set it up on a remote desktop and the Chrome would effectively run as a Windows machine and run all of my programs, etc?? I could do that traveling as well, as long as I have a web connection? I didn't know that Chromebook was capable of that. Has anybody here tried this, and does it work well?
You don't even need a Chromebook to do this - you can do it now - just install "Chrome Remote" from the Chrome app store (it's free) on both computers, and voila, you'll be able to control one with the other and vice versa. It works great.

I do it from work to my home computer, but I have to admit, the slight delay (it's not even a 0.5sec delay, but you will notice it) is annoying enough for it not to be as an 'amazing' feature as you would otherwise believe. I originally thought I'd use it all the time, but I pretty much never use it anymore,.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

lightheir wrote:
protagonist wrote:
CFM300 wrote:

You don't even need a Chromebook to do this - you can do it now - just install "Chrome Remote" from the Chrome app store (it's free) on both computers, and voila, you'll be able to control one with the other and vice versa. It works great.

I do it from work to my home computer, but I have to admit, the slight delay (it's not even a 0.5sec delay, but you will notice it) is annoying enough for it not to be as an 'amazing' feature as you would otherwise believe. I originally thought I'd use it all the time, but I pretty much never use it anymore,.
Cool! So if you have another conventional computer, doesn't that pretty much negate all the downside aspects of Chromebooks, other than the fact that you need to be online to do this (which I think is the biggest downside aspect of Chromebooks)? Is this secure?

I noticed that, although Chrome Remote Desktop app got an overall rating of 4.5/5 in the Play Store, the more recent reviews that I read were mostly unfavorable....lots of one, two, three stars....claiming the functionality has been compromised by recent updates. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iews?hl=en
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

A touchscreen will be useful as Google rolls out more and more Android apps for Chromebook.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

2 fingers tapping on the touchpad is a right click.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I can see the benefits of cloud computing in an enterprise environment, but I've failed to identify any benefits for an individual, beyond the ability to rent or share data that belongs to someone else.

Maybe I'll be enlightened one day.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I'm on the verge of ordering a Chromebook for my spouse. A requirement, however, is the ability to Skype. I find information claiming that Skype can be made to run on a Chromebook, but it sounds awkward and unreliable. Can anyone comment on this? There also seems to be a Google equivalent of Skype. How does this work? Do both parties need to be running the Google program?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Lynette wrote:Thanks Mossy SF - that works.

Barefootgirl as you can see from the comments, most people have different reasons for wanting a Chromebook. The main Windows 7 laptop that I use for financial data and remote desktop to work got a malware virus. I did not dare use it for financial data until I had resolved this issue. Several days of effort and purchase of Malware Bytes Plus solved the problem. Now the laptop does windows update, McAfee and Malwarebytes scans. The machine is a few years old but it always seems to be updating and scanning something. Even when I tried to do Remote Desktop to my Surface Pro 3 that cost me about $1400 about a year ago, it needed to do some updates and I got a warning not to switch off the machine. After what seemed like an eternity, it finally finished.

I don't use my Chromebook for Cloud Computing though I may explore that. It has a decent Word Processing Package and Spreadsheet so that when I'm retired, I feel that I won't have to buy Microsoft Office. For my non-techie senior citizen friends, I think it is ideal as its easy to use for browsing and email. I was going to give an old laptop to a friend who had financial difficulties but then I realized she would have problems with updates, viruses etc. She could easily deal with a Chromebook.

I could not do without Windows for the addition programs I use even though I really like Windows 8 but I use my Chromebook most of the time in preference to my 3 Windows machines, iPad and Iphone 6 plus.

This is why I use a Chromebook and recommend it to my non-techie friends.
A simple solution to the updating hassle is to turn auto-update off. I just update when I think about it, typically when turning my computer off in the wee hours of the morn. I don't do it nearly as often as I should. I haven't been plagued at all with viruses. Maybe I am just lucky.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

MossySF wrote:2 fingers tapping on the touchpad is a right click.
Or, "left"click/alt

The thing about the Chromebook is that even after 18 months of use I am still discovering some useful techniques.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
conroy

Post by conroy »

JPH wrote:I'm on the verge of ordering a Chromebook for my spouse. A requirement, however, is the ability to Skype. I find information claiming that Skype can be made to run on a Chromebook, but it sounds awkward and unreliable. Can anyone comment on this? There also seems to be a Google equivalent of Skype. How does this work? Do both parties need to be running the Google program?
I haven't tried getting Skype onto a chromebook, but yes, Google has a video chat program also, called hangouts. Everyone needs to be running it, but you can have up to 10 people at the same time..
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I haven't tried it yet, but there is a web-based Skype (beta) that is rumored to work on Chrome OS
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

protagonist wrote:
lightheir wrote:
protagonist wrote:
CFM300 wrote:

Cool! So if you have another conventional computer, doesn't that pretty much negate all the downside aspects of Chromebooks, other than the fact that you need to be online to do this (which I think is the biggest downside aspect of Chromebooks)? Is this secure?

I noticed that, although Chrome Remote Desktop app got an overall rating of 4.5/5 in the Play Store, the more recent reviews that I read were mostly unfavorable....lots of one, two, three stars....claiming the functionality has been compromised by recent updates. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iews?hl=en
It's 'secure enough'. No reports of any major hacks or compromises as a result of using it, and it's been out for at least a few years now.

The idea of Chrome remote was as you said - to negate the potential downsides of having a limited chromebook, so you can just 'remote' into your windows computer if you need anything more heavy duty. I think the idea was that Chromebooks would become more attractive to PC-owners who just wanted a lightweight terminal to access their home computer, not a computer replacement.

But from what I'm seeing, most people that buy the Chromebook use it as a standalone device and don't use the Chrome remote function much. I don't have a Chromebook, but as said, I basically never use the remote function even from work computers - it's a neat trick, but not that useful for me otherwise.