What do you do to relax just after returning from work

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atlanta_dad

What do you do to relax just after returning from work

Post by atlanta_dad »

Just wanted to see what Bogleheads are doing to relax just after returning from work. I am an IT professional, usually I spend total 10 to 11hrs in commute and work.

I myself am not consistent on any, sometimes I take shower, sometimes go sleep for 20+ minutes, sometimes play with kids, sometimes just sit in couch for a long time etc.

I am basically looking for something that can quickly gets me out of tiredness of the work day and doesn't make feel tired till I sleep.

Thanks in advance
whatusername?

Re: What do you do to relax just after returning from work

Post by whatusername? »

I run a few miles as needed. A 30 minute run is usually enough for me to switch gears and shake off the day; some days more....
mickeyvee

Post by mickeyvee »

Tanqueray Martini with Bleu cheese olives 8-)
Life - Can't live with it...can't live without it!
black jack

Post by black jack »

Exercise.

Most days I commute by bike. It's about 12 miles, takes nearly an hour. There's a slight life-or-death aspect to bike commuting in a city, so it requires enough focus on the present to take my mind off work, and it burns off the physical stresses of work. When I get home I take a shower. I come out relaxed and happy, ready for dinner with my family.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I'm the same way - I do a variety of things. Sometimes sit outside for a few minutes to relax, sometimes play with the kids, sometimes sleep if I'm really wiped out.

I think exercise is the answer. That's the most likely to wake you up and 'reset' your body and state of mind. Even if it's something low-key with the kids like a bike ride or shooting hoops.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Play with my pets, watch HGTV, do some chores or drink a Starbucks. To be honest most days are so busy I am usually pretty spent so as long as I can let go of the day I seem to unwind pretty naturally. That said I do have some chores I need to do around the house daily to get ready for the evening and I think that routine daily helps signal my mind and body it is time to transition from work to home.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

My wife takes off my shoes and brings me my slippers. It started as a joke and became a ritual.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Don't work any more but in the old days I would either take my bike out for a spin or go swimming depending on the time of year and weather.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

:sharebeer

Need I say more?
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

An hour long bike ride (back roads in my neighborhood) is my preferred way to relax after a hard days work. If I'm unable to ride, I use my WaterRower, or crank up the stereo and "chill" for a bit. These all help me transition from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde, so my wife can tolerate me the rest of the night.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
toto238

Post by toto238 »

I usually eat dinner then go to sleep for about 13-14 hours to get ready for the next day.
black jack

Post by black jack »

sleepysurf wrote:An hour long bike ride (back roads in my neighborhood) is my preferred way to relax after a hard days work. If I'm unable to ride, I use my WaterRower, or crank up the stereo and "chill" for a bit. These all help me transition from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde, so my wife can tolerate me the rest of the night.
Your wife must be quite the character: Dr. Jekyll is the civilized one, Mr. Hyde is the villain.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

are you kidding? I get home around 6:30 or 7:30 and it's immediately go go go with the kids - dinner, dishes, baths, reading, bedtime - and 9:15 before I have even a minute to think about relaxing. Twice a week at night I go to the gym, otherwise it's getting ready for the next day (making lunch and coffee, getting clothes ready), trying to get through some mail and a journal, dealing with whatever around the house is falling apart that I haven't gotten to. Around 11 I usually sit down for 30-60 minutes on the computer or in front of the TV before getting to bed and reading a little.

Relaxation is apparently for other people, or for weekends, or for retirement. There is no relaxation during my work week.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

black jack wrote:
sleepysurf wrote:An hour long bike ride (back roads in my neighborhood) is my preferred way to relax after a hard days work. If I'm unable to ride, I use my WaterRower, or crank up the stereo and "chill" for a bit. These all help me transition from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde, so my wife can tolerate me the rest of the night.
Your wife must be quite the character: Dr. Jekyll is the civilized one, Mr. Hyde is the villain.
I have a 10th grade English teacher that would disagree with your interpretation.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

'Twas meant tongue in cheek, as I'm a Physician. Let me rephrase it as transforming from Dr. Hyde to Mr. Jekyll, though my wife might suggest there are times when the former was correct! :D
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

letsgobobby wrote:are you kidding? I get home around 6:30 or 7:30 and it's immediately go go go with the kids - dinner, dishes, baths, reading, bedtime - and 9:15 before I have even a minute to think about relaxing.
This. I also work out in the evenings starting at around 9, but it's not ideal.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Dulocracy wrote:My wife takes off my shoes and brings me my slippers. It started as a joke and became a ritual.
Nice! How did you swing that deal? I don't own any slippers, but a foot massage would be really nice.

You are making some guys envious here ......
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
alec

Post by alec »

bertie wooster wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:are you kidding? I get home around 6:30 or 7:30 and it's immediately go go go with the kids - dinner, dishes, baths, reading, bedtime - and 9:15 before I have even a minute to think about relaxing.
This. I also work out in the evenings starting at around 9, but it's not ideal.
My life was like this until my kids got into middle school. Now my wife and I can leave them alone for half hour or so and go for a run. sometimes we go for walks.

there is light at the end of the tunnel. :-)
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
LowER

Post by LowER »

letsgobobby wrote:are you kidding? I get home around 6:30 or 7:30 and it's immediately go go go with the kids - dinner, dishes, baths, reading, bedtime - and 9:15 before I have even a minute to think about relaxing. Twice a week at night I go to the gym, otherwise it's getting ready for the next day (making lunch and coffee, getting clothes ready), trying to get through some mail and a journal, dealing with whatever around the house is falling apart that I haven't gotten to. Around 11 I usually sit down for 30-60 minutes on the computer or in front of the TV before getting to bed and reading a little.

Relaxation is apparently for other people, or for weekends, or for retirement. There is no relaxation during my work week.
Anyway to carve out some more bobby time?

I don't know how old your children are, but it does get less strenuous the older they get, especially after they start driving. It seems like it will never come, but it does, and then you kind of miss it.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I drive straight from the office to the golf course most days, unless it's raining.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I've not ever been a 'relax' kind of guy; relaxing to me was an 18 mile hike. As I've gotten older and developed some health problems, I'm forced to relax which really just means be exhausted. No fun. :(

I tend to work hard/play hard. I take a lot of time off (160 days per year including weekends/holidays) but work 10-12 hours plus a 90 minute round trip commute on my work days.

On my off days I spend time with the family. Me time is getting to the gym. Once or twice a year I take a day hike alone. Once a year I get 4-5 days to backpack alone.

In August my son hits kindergarten and all of a sudden I'll have one 6 hour stretch every week (Mondays from 8:30-2:50) when nobody needs me - not patients, my wife (who will be working), or my kids. That will be really, really welcome.
alec

Post by alec »

letsgobobby wrote:I've not ever been a 'relax' kind of guy; relaxing to me was an 18 mile hike. As I've gotten older and developed some health problems, I'm forced to relax which really just means be exhausted. No fun. :(

In August my son hits kindergarten and all of a sudden I'll have one 6 hour stretch every week (Mondays from 8:30-2:50) when nobody needs me - not patients, my wife (who will be working), or my kids. That will be really, really welcome.
But then it's homework time. :oops: seriously though, there are no better words to hear than "daddy, I already finished my homework."
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

This time of year a swim in the pool....
LowER

Post by LowER »

letsgobobby wrote:I've not ever been a 'relax' kind of guy; relaxing to me was an 18 mile hike. As I've gotten older and developed some health problems, I'm forced to relax which really just means be exhausted. No fun. :(

I tend to work hard/play hard. I take a lot of time off (160 days per year including weekends/holidays) but work 10-12 hours plus a 90 minute round trip commute on my work days.

On my off days I spend time with the family. Me time is getting to the gym. Once or twice a year I take a day hike alone. Once a year I get 4-5 days to backpack alone.

One of my family members calls me a "human doing" in contrast to a human "being," and then gives me crap about not being able to find contentment at rest.

As Steve McKinney (a forefather of speed skiing - now deceased), was quoted as saying in a Ski Magazine article 35ish years ago: "I find peace at speed."

As I age, and after a few years of therapy, I have become progressively content with boredom - pluses and minuses in everything.

Back to the OP: After the usual 13-14 hour day and average 60 hours of on call a week, cooking and learning about cooking, exercising, reading BH too much, a beer, and early to bed.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Sometimes watching from the sidelines at my kids' soccer practices, relaxing on a folding chair.

Sometimes sitting on the deck enjoying the nice views with a beer with my wife.

Sometimes playing some tennis.
daveatca

routine

Post by daveatca »

Walk from office to kitchen.
Pour Cheezits, peanuts, Goldfish, pretzels into bowl.
Open bottle of wine.
Watch the Commie Network.
texaspapas

Post by texaspapas »

Almost every night that I'm not working, I go out to the pool and just jump in an swim for a bit. Not really for laps or anything, just submerge and swim around a bit. I swear, it's great. Never gets old.

I should say though, part of what makes it so amazing is that I keep the apartment on the warm side (don't like air conditioning aggressively) and I'm pretty sure that makes it much, much more refreshing when I jump in.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

A bath with eucalyptus oil.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

After 12+ hours up on a concrete floor tending to the needs of others, not much is required.
Shoes off, air on feet is a priority.
5-30 minutes online
adult beverage
dinner
sleep

Repeat
Pale Blue Dot
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

After I prepare, serve and clean up dinner I like to watch about an hour of tv to unwind. Then shower and read until I fall asleep. This is accompanied by nightly feelings of vague guilt because I am not doing something productive leavened by a sense of outrage toward the guilty conscience because I have been productive for pay during the day. The guilt seems to be part of the relaxation process. :? .
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I have a glass of bourbon after we put our child to bed. Sometimes a beer. Sometimes nothing, but bourbon has beening hitting the spot lately

JT
jdb

Post by jdb »

Used to enjoy a gin Martini or whiskey Manhattan before dinner. Got very good at making them. But enjoyed too much, lack of self discipline caused me to make them too strong or have more than one. Now enjoy slowly sipping a cold American craft beer or Guinness. And fondly remembering the Manhattans.
Last edited by jdb on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avenger

Post by avenger »

I usually get home, walk our dog for a half hour, then get to the gym for an hour-long workout 6 days per week. Then usually read whatever book I'm reading (+Bogleheads) for an hour or so, make dinner with my partner or go out for a quick bite in the neighborhood (1-2x per week during the week). If it's nice out I'll go for a bike ride along the lake (Chicago).

Edit: we also spend nice summer weekends on our boat on Lake Michicagn
Last edited by avenger on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Change into casual clothing, sit down and have a nice family dinner, find out what everyone has been doing and what is going on.

If the weather is nice, after dinner go for walk with my wife.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Between working 10+ hours a day, playing with the kids and the dog, preparing meals, and various home maintenance/improvement projects...I relax on Sunday night for about an hour by watching Game of Thrones and then going to bed early.
pennywise wrote:This is accompanied by nightly feelings of vague guilt because I am not doing something productive leavened by a sense of outrage toward the guilty conscience because I have been productive for pay during the day.
My outlook is that if I'm not being productive in some manner I'm wasting time.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

seems not very much loving going around

back in the day, the wife and I celebrated our empty nest with some serious catching up

oh, yes, did some tennis, swimming, working out, but those were after thoughts

now, more of the same, just a bit less and a bit slower... :D
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Cook dinner for the family, while drinking a beer, listening to NPR. I got the idea from sushi chefs drinking beer while cooking. It's great.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Dinner and 1-2 glasses of wine - or a good IPA if it's summer time :beer
midareff

Post by midareff »

atlanta_dad wrote:Just wanted to see what Bogleheads are doing to relax just after returning from work. I am an IT professional, usually I spend total 10 to 11hrs in commute and work.

I myself am not consistent on any, sometimes I take shower, sometimes go sleep for 20+ minutes, sometimes play with kids, sometimes just sit in couch for a long time etc.

I am basically looking for something that can quickly gets me out of tiredness of the work day and doesn't make feel tired till I sleep.

Thanks in advance

I think there is more too it than just "after work" Atlanta. While I'm three years retired I stay in touch with several work friends and we all had high stress functions where our work product impacted thousands. We all worked long hours, in the office early AM (sometimes before 7AM) and had weekday + weekend + evening responsibilities in a large municipal government. Our friendship is now past two decades and spans from before children to off to college and graduated and working on their own. We have seen lots of changes in ourselves over that period and from that base comes.....

#1. Pay close attention to your nutrition from supplements to eating balanced meals. If at all possible get out of the office for lunch by walking to restaurants or lunch spots as far as you can get within your time requirements. If you have to bring lunch bring sneakers too and get out in the air and walk. It clears the head and will give you more energy.

#2. Organize your off work activities. A scheduled exercise program at least three days a week (minimum) should be part of your life. It can range from exercise walking, free weights, running, bicycling .. whatever burns calories. At 67 I still exercise walk an hour in the evening 5 to 6 times a week. If I can, you can.

See where those get you. I think you will find they help a lot... and don't lie down on the couch with the TV on, especially after dinner, that's just an invitation for a nap that will damage later needed deeper sleep.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

JoinToday wrote:
Dulocracy wrote:My wife takes off my shoes and brings me my slippers. It started as a joke and became a ritual.
Nice! How did you swing that deal? I don't own any slippers, but a foot massage would be really nice.

You are making some guys envious here ......
It started as a joke about our being your stereotypical 1950's television couple. I do things like open doors for her, stand when she gets up from the table, and walk streetside. She did that one evening when I returned home, and it stuck. She also likes bringing me a scotch from time to time, but I make her gin and tonics. Actually, it is more that we both ritualistically do things for each other and enjoy it. It is more fun, however, when I just state that part taken out of context of the entirety of what we do for each other. :D
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 »

letsgobobby wrote:are you kidding? I get home around 6:30 or 7:30 and it's immediately go go go with the kids - dinner, dishes, baths, reading, bedtime - and 9:15 before I have even a minute to think about relaxing. Twice a week at night I go to the gym, otherwise it's getting ready for the next day (making lunch and coffee, getting clothes ready), trying to get through some mail and a journal, dealing with whatever around the house is falling apart that I haven't gotten to. Around 11 I usually sit down for 30-60 minutes on the computer or in front of the TV before getting to bed and reading a little.

Same here. I figure that I'll have plenty of time to relax when I'm dead.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

DDMP20 wrote:

Same here. I figure that I'll have plenty of time to relax when I'm dead.
Same. By the time I get home ~6:30pm, I get 30min or so to get my clothes prepped for the next day and eat dinner, then I am on kid duty (3yr old and infant) until it is time to go to bed. Then try to get some sleep while also helping my wife with the 2-month old (she works full-time as well, so we have to work together on the night time feedings and diaper changes). Then up at 4:45am the next day so I can train before work. Two professional careers + two competitive athletes + two young children = no relaxing. My mother does watch our kids for 2hrs on Saturday morning so we can go to the gym together - that's about the extent of our weekly relaxation.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Last night I drove a solid hour (live 2 miles from work) to find some really good waves. Surfing after work is the best way to unwind :) I didn't get home until 9:45pm, though! Well worth the effort.

Otherwise, some type of exercise before dinner is usually best. Tonight we might hit the climbing gym for 2-for-1 night. Trail running is also nice.

No kids or commute currently, but I foresee that making it much harder to fit in the above in the same schedule...
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I have an ideal job, working in sales out of my house.

If I have sales appointments, these are scheduled for morning and am usually home by early afternoon. If no appointments, then I am working out of my office all day.

Thus, when I "return"from work it usually involves walking downstairs, welcoming my wife home, starting the grill (or dinner in the winter) and then heading back to the office to clean up emails.

Technology has changed how I work dramatically in my 25 year career.

Ed
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Been working from home for the past 7 years. I make sure you get out of my office, shut down my computer, and walk over and talk to the kids. Sometimes we would go to the backyard and play catch or head over to the park. Love the summer months!
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Exercise -- I bike but any physical activity helps to burn off stress. Even if I'm tired after work I'm energized after some exercise.

Have a latte. I find the process of making one with my semiauto machine to be a sort of "zen" process. Plus drinking it is something that is enjoyable and soothing for me.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

First think I do when I get home from work is walk my dog. He's always so happy to see me (he LOVES being outside), that just opening the door brings a big smile to my face and makes me feel better.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

My favorite thing to do is on my commute home when I like to roll the windows and the sun roof down and enjoy the weather and my music. I don't understand why I don't see anyone with their windows down even when the weather is really nice outside. Once I get home, it would be a walk with the wife and baby, and then FOOD.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I'm no longer employed, but when I did work and return from work, I would have a Manhattan and walk around my yard pruning my 75 roses plus my other flower gardens. That was not work. It was relaxing.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)