400lbs, delivery or pick up?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
packet

400lbs, delivery or pick up?

Post by packet »

My guilty conscience is strong... but how strong... or how much value should I give it?

I want to purchase 400 lbs of cat litter.

I can order and pick up at the store, which means the folks who are loading, hauling, and unloading are dealing with all sorts of heavy stuff other than my kitties' pee sand.
Total cost ~= $177 (plus me going there, loading, hauling, getting home, and unloading).

-OR-

I can order and have it delivered, which means the folks who are loading, hauling, and unloading are not likely dealing with all sorts of heavy stuff other than my kitties' poop dirt.
Total cost ~= $155 (plus me doing nothing but hauling from porch to basement).

22 bucks, plus my time/effort is worth about 5, maybe even 6, good beers at the bar... but... I would feel terribly guilty for putting the UPS guy/gals through all that! ... Should I?

Which would you do?

:beerCheers,
packet

PS,
I would'a done a poll but...
(nah, just kidding moderators!)
:)
First round’s on me.
jebmke

Re: 400lbs, delivery or pick up?

Post by jebmke »

Can you post a picture of your cat. I'm prepared to be amazed.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I want to know is how do you get rid of it? :confused
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Delivery folks are paid to deliver. Not all packages are light, Those are the breaks.

No packages, no money for delivery company = no need for delivery folks! Do you want that on your conscience? :(

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
sdsailing

Post by sdsailing »

May I play in your sandbox?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

packet wrote:My guilty conscience is strong... but how strong... or how much value should I give it?

I want to purchase 400 lbs of cat litter.

I can order and pick up at the store, which means the folks who are loading, hauling, and unloading are dealing with all sorts of heavy stuff other than my kitties' pee sand.
Total cost ~= $177 (plus me going there, loading, hauling, getting home, and unloading).

-OR-

I can order and have it delivered, which means the folks who are loading, hauling, and unloading are not likely dealing with all sorts of heavy stuff other than my kitties' poop dirt.
Total cost ~= $155 (plus me doing nothing but hauling from porch to basement).

22 bucks, plus my time/effort is worth about 5, maybe even 6, good beers at the bar... but... I would feel terribly guilty for putting the UPS guy/gals through all that! ... Should I?

Which would you do?

packet

PS,
I would'a done a poll but...
(nah, just kidding moderators!)
Are the UPS folks allowed to accept a tip?
(I mean "gratuity", not 'advice to work somewhere else where no one asks them to haul 400# of litter' :shock: )

For me, I'd happily give the full savings (and perhaps some) to avoid hauling that much around.

Ages ago, when I lived on a 3rd floor walkup with a full flight up to the entry, so really like 4th floor), there was a supermarket around the corner that offered home delivery, because there were *many* elderly in the neighborhood. The charge was something ridiculous, like $2 for the whole order, which was usually a bag or two, maybe 3.

I wasn't yet in that category, and had children to feed, meaning gallons of juices, milk, and just LOTS of food (plus a small amount of cat litter!).
And the maximum number of bags was, IIRC, twenty-something.

They brought it right into the kitchen :happy

I tipped them VERY generously, and they were delighted.
It was a win/win.

And we've occasionally done the same thing within the past few years, using a regular grocery delivery service, when we want to "stock up" on heavy stuff.

Of course, those delivery people *knew* what they were going to deliver, even if "not quite" the quantity.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Having it delivered to your house is cheaper and more efficient for everyone. Have it delivered.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Why do you want to buy this all at once?

I buy kitty litter in ten pound bags (convenient, because one bag fills one large litter box). I just move it out of the shopping cart and into the back seat of my car. I usually buy 4-6 bags at a time. I tend to leave most of it in the car and just bring it into the house as needed. I keep a couple of bags in the house so I don't have to go outside if it's raining and so on.

I once ordered a couple of bags online from chewy.com, thinking it would be convenient, esp. in the winter, and the shipping was cheap, but one bag arrived split so it was a mess.
aaaaaaabbbbbbbbbb

Post by aaaaaaabbbbbbbbbb »

Do you have a dozen house cats? Or maybe only one, but it's a lion or a tiger?

UPS knows more about what it costs to transport cargo than you do, and they think the task is worth $22. I would take their word for it. Like others have said, if you really want to be generous, you can give a tip.
dolphinsaremammals

ResearchMed wrote: Are the UPS folks allowed to accept a tip?
UPS does not ring doorbells or knock when they deliver stuff to my house, so no way to tip them. Also, I'm lucky if they deliver to my house and not some other random house on the block, plus they leave heavy packages against my outward opening only door. No tip for them.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

There are other uses for Kitty Litter besides kittys, but it must be a heck of a deal to order that much at once, unless you are using it for one of the other uses. Uh Oh, maybe he knows something we don't know, prepare for the Nuclear Apocolypse!
Removing radioactive toxins from produce. One of the easiest ways to minimize the effects of radiation is knowing where our food comes from and limiting our exposure to radioactive foods and water sources. Daisy Luther explains that Calcium bentonite clay is another natural substance that actually absorbs radiation. Interestingly, calcium bentonite clay has a uniquely strong negative ionic charge. When activated with water it works like a strong magnet, absorbing anything with a positive ionic charge (i.e., toxins, pesticides, radiation). The clay captures these substances and removes them as it is eliminated or washed off.
http://readynutrition.com/resources/use ... _07122011/
Mike
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

Agree with the other posters to have it delivered.

Save money, save time, save your back.

UPS is in the business of delivering stuff big and small. They have the tools and talent to make quick work of the delivery.

Will your order be on a pallet? If so, might be worth checking delivery restrictions (commercial vs. residential) and how close to your home they are able to deliver.
jebmke wrote:Can you post a picture of your cat. I'm prepared to be amazed.
Ha! I lol'd!
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I buy dog food in 55lb bags because it is the best deal, and have it delivered. Every time it gets delivered, the UPS guy always mentions that he was happy I'm home, cause he doesn't want to bring it back. I can only imagine a delivery 8x the size to a residence
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Have you signed up for delivery notifications from UPS (or FedEx/etc.)?

That way, you could also coordinate with Dispatch, to make sure that you are home, if there is something that needs to come inside.
(Not sure that you'd want 400# of cat litter sitting in the rain, for example...)

We haven't worked with UPS, but with FedEx, if you've got the shipment number (because you are the shipper or you've been sent the info), then we've been able to coordinate with the driver - through the Dispatcher - to have a narrow delivery window, or even to "let them know when we are back home", or such.

Perhaps you could call your local UPS delivery office, and double check with them about how a shipment like this would be handled?
How many packages would there be, and what would the weight of each part be?

They want to make the deliveries as easy as possible, too.

RM
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Delivery. The whole process will use forklifts and hand trucks. No one will be lifting the 400 lbs but you.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

I just want to point out that you can buy 400 lbs of cat litter at Costco for about $100 .
I have never bought more than 180 lbs at a time, though.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

Thanks for all the replies!

Point of clarification: this is not a bulk order per se... it's 10, 40lbs bags.

OK, so, in the interest of keeping things simple and tight... i won't quote everyone and try to be brief...
here are my replies to your replies, in order:

jebmke: See my avatar... he's 1 of 6... :)
… his name is Krumm (those are not his real teeth!).

istomuch: Sadly, landfill. I've often wondered of alternatives but have never sought them out.

Broken Man 1999: True, but I doubt me skipping litter deliveries will have an impact. They are here often enough for me not to worry about that!

sdsailing: Sure! Tho, judging form your avatar, it may not meet your standards. Our glaring has 3 boxes, each 2' by 3' by 6". They're not actually cat boxes, but very small feed bins for small livestock... :)

ResearchMed: Don't know about tips, but we never see them, so it'd be hard just to give it to them. We live in a rural area and 100% of all packages to date (UPS, USPS, FedEx), over 8 years, have just been left on the (covered) porch (items up to about $1,500 in value). No worries at all... and I'm cool with that. I'd like to tip the individual that makes the delivery, I just don't think I'd be able to.

mhc: Thank you.

dolphinsaremammals: I'm lazy. I'd much rather do this once per 5 or 6 months vs monthly or what have you...

a...ab...b: 6 cats, ages: 2, 2, 4, 4, 17, and 18.

dolphinsaremammals: We haven't had packages go elsewhere yet... but then again, our closest neighbor is about a mile away and we're the only one's on our road... :/

mhalley: umm... wow?... umm... thank you?... umm... really, you can remove radioactive toxins from produce with kitty litter? Huh... guess my order went up to 800 lbs! :)

Pinotage: Don't know about palleting the order, but I'd assume no.

poker27: So far anyway, deliveries are always left... right or wrong, it's what I prefer, so I don't complain.

ResearchMed: I have not signed up for notifications. Tho calling the local UPS might actually be a good idea, maybe even a conf call with the shipper (in this example chewy.com)... I'll give this some serious thought.

kosmo: See clarification above. I doubt forklifts will be used at my house, but maybe other stops along the way.

madbrain: Wait, what!??! What brand, flavor, style, etc? This, I will look into! Tho... the nearest Costco is about an hour and 45 minutes away... so I'll have to post another "is it worth it?" post ... :/

Thanks again all!

packet
First round’s on me.
dolphinsaremammals

packet wrote:
I luvs your avatar. :D

packet wrote: ResearchMed: I have not signed up for notifications. Tho calling the local UPS might actually be a good idea, maybe even a conf call with the shipper (in this example chewy.com)... I'll give this some serious thought.
Note my remarks about chewy.com delivering an order with a split bag. At their website, people are complaining that they have started using inadequate packing material. I don't recall if there was any packing material in the box at all, so you can imagine what happens to the bags when those heavy boxes get thrown around.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
packet wrote:
I luvs your avatar. :D

packet wrote: ResearchMed: I have not signed up for notifications. Tho calling the local UPS might actually be a good idea, maybe even a conf call with the shipper (in this example chewy.com)... I'll give this some serious thought.
Note my remarks about chewy.com delivering an order with a split bag. At their website, people are complaining that they have started using inadequate packing material. I don't recall if there was any packing material in the box at all, so you can imagine what happens to the bags when those heavy boxes get thrown around.
I'm not sure if "packing materials" are used for cat litter, or if it depends upon what type of package the litter is in.

However, we need to order lots of Biscotti for our small business, and we need to speak with the shipping department (or get a message reliably to them) to request specific packaging - OR the Biscotti will arrive broken/cracked or smashed, and we'll get a refund, and they'll have to send it out again.
It took only one "trial", and then they started packing it very well. (None broken, pretty good!)

You might want to speak with the seller or shipper about special packing needs.

RM
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

dolphinsaremammals and researchMed,

Yeah... shipping is indeed a concern... I've stopped ordering bulk cat food from chewy.com because it always (about 4 times) comes damaged... and in the weirdest way (a case of 12 cans comes with the cans in the middle damaged) almost like they are second rate/those not able to be sold on the shelf... :/

I suppose I should count this against the $22...

packet
First round’s on me.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

packet,
packet wrote:madbrain: Wait, what!??! What brand, flavor, style, etc? This, I will look into! Tho... the nearest Costco is about an hour and 45 minutes away... so I'll have to post another "is it worth it?" post ... :/
1h45 drive away is a pretty bad deterrent.

The brand is Litter Purfect, 35 lbs, $8.59 at Costco Warehouse.

http://litterpurrfect.com/

If you had a Costco closer to your house, I would say that it would be worth the annual $55 membership for cat litter.
You might be able to buy a Costco gift card and shop without a membership if you are only buying a small number of items.
Edit: you can't buy the Costco gift card without being a member, but you can buy one from someone who is a member and then use it.

I would not drive 1h45 minutes just for Costco, however. Time is money, and you will spend some on transportation too. But also, 1h45 probably means it's over 80 miles which would be beyond the 1-way range of my electric Nissan Leaf. And Costco has chosen to eliminate their EV chargers.

FYI, Google shopping express will deliver this to some areas.

But as it is a large item, they don't deliver to all areas.
For example, in the SF bay area, they would deliver it to my work address in Santa Clara which is considered to be in their "Peninsula and San Jose" area, and only 3 miles from 2 different Costco warehouses.

But they won't deliver this particular item to my home address which is actually in the city of San Jose proper, which is 6-13 miles from a Costco, strangely, is to be in Google's their "Northern California" delivery area. Go figure. This means Google will do next day delivery to my house instead of same day, and restricts the type of items they will ship, including cat litter. I have complained to Google but I think the density of population and income in my zip code is too low for them to bother. Even the closest Safeway to my house recently went bankrupt. It was always overpriced, though.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

From a pm... I'm liking they way this person thinks!

"
Which is easier for UPS: ten separate deliveries at ten different addresses of one 40 lb bag each; ten separate deliveries at one address of one 40 lb bag each time; or one delivery at one address of ten 40 lb bags all at once?

You are doing them favor by not making them make ten separate deliveries. They should buy you a beer! :)
"

packet
First round’s on me.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

I ordered enough crown moulding to trim every room in a 2000sqft house by mail. 8' boxes and 5 pieces in each - it was a lot of boxes!

The UPS guy was actually interested and when I told him Home Depot shipped for free left wanting to order done for himself.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

For a shipment this large they might not use UPS but instead ship it via a large-shipment trucking service. If they do you'll need a driveway into which they can back their monster truck and a plan to handle/store the shrink-wrapped skids when they're delivered. For instance the drivers might be willing to slide them into your garage. But you'll need to figure out the logistics in advance and contact the trucking firm with the delivery instructions.

Some local stores will sell and deliver orders this large on skids for a small fee. Some of the locally-owned pet stores for instance will do it, so will stores like Menard's. That might be something to look into too.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

One of my wife's friends got her cat toilet trained with something called citi kitty after she saw it on shark tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIoNrrR39c0
Wiki
carorun

Post by carorun »

I have a cat, and I've learned a lot from this thread.

1) I don't even want to think about the time spent cleaning the litter boxes of 6 cats (or worse, the smell).

2) a 15lb handle of tidy cats lasts me about 3 weeks. So, 5 lbs/week. Your order is approximately 1.5 years worth of litter. Not to mention, probably wouldn't fit in my apartment.

3) Whoever mentioned cleaning produce in cat litter for radiation images left an awful picture in my head. I can't imagine eating something that's been in litter. I already don't eat tuna because it reminds me of cats.

4) Have it delivered. :oops:
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

Thanks again all for the helpful replies.

I'm going to contact chewy.com and ask a couple questions around possible shipping options etc.

I'll keep you "posted" ... :)

If anyone is curious, we use http://www.preciouscat.com/ultra/. It's the best I've tried (very low dust, excellent clumping).

packet
First round’s on me.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

packet wrote:I would feel terribly guilty for putting the UPS guy/gals through all that!
Are you sure UPS will even deliver that much weight? I've ordered a number of heavy objects online over the years and they always get sent through third party freight movers and show up on straight trucks and semis. Those fellows that deliver those things are used to large heavy objects so I never feel guilty. Several times they have required me to unload the object with a skid steer which I of course don't have so I have to cut the boxes open and haul the pieces out one by one. I've never had one get upset with me for doing that and almost all of them help out.
dolphinsaremammals

lthenderson wrote:
packet wrote:I would feel terribly guilty for putting the UPS guy/gals through all that!
Are you sure UPS will even deliver that much weight? I've ordered a number of heavy objects online over the years and they always get sent through third party freight movers and show up on straight trucks and semis. Those fellows that deliver those things are used to large heavy objects so I never feel guilty. Several times they have required me to unload the object with a skid steer which I of course don't have so I have to cut the boxes open and haul the pieces out one by one. I've never had one get upset with me for doing that and almost all of them help out.
150 lbs max, I just looked it up.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

lthenderson wrote:
Thanks ... but I would assume that all 10 bags would not be in one box/container... they weight 40lbs each.

I sent them an query, we'll see what say.

packet
First round’s on me.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

By them, I meant chewy... And they replied within minutes.

They use FedEx and I'm not to worry about a thing... Boy that makes me nervous!
:/

I'm going to place an order and see what happens.

:beersCheers,
packet
First round’s on me.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

lthenderson wrote:
That's per package. They will deliver as many packages as you care to pay for. Kitty litter can be divided as needed. In any case this is usually the senders problem. A distribution center should know the rules and work with the shipper to make it easier (and cheaper), so you may get a pallet, four 100lb boxes, or ten 40lb boxes. Everybody but you is a pro, let them do their job and don't worry about it.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Buy a pallet direct from wholesaler and have it Ltl'd. :happy

I'd disposed the stuff by marking your lot's boundary line. Preferably on the other side of the fence. Or spread the stuff around your favorite tree, I imagine the stuff is mostly organic, full load of goodies, and could make a good mulch.
Are slugs deterred by activated cat litter :?:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

We get large shipments from Fedex all the time. One was 1100 pounds total, all broken down into 60-70 lb individual boxes. They set them all on our front porch.

I also got a 120 lb single box shipped UPS a few weeks a go. I watched the guy scoop it up in his arms and carry it to our porch. He treated it like it was a baby!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

itstoomuch wrote:Buy a pallet direct from wholesaler and have it Ltl'd. :happy

I'd disposed the stuff by marking your lot's boundary line. Preferably on the other side of the fence. Or spread the stuff around your favorite tree, I imagine the stuff is mostly organic, full load of goodies, and could make a good mulch.
Are slugs deterred by activated cat litter :?:
I'm going to research this some... I have ~70 acres so hiding would be easy... (un?)fortunately we're lovers of the environment, so wouldn't dump the stuff on our land if it'd be detrimental in any way to flora or fauna ... :)

packet
First round’s on me.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

Rats...

"Super clumping clay. Dr. Elsey's Precious Ultra is a clumping clay litter. Therefore, it's not biodegradable and should never be flushed down the toilet, recycled or composted. "

packet
First round’s on me.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

It's clay. It's mined. It's a mineral. You can make bricks. It's "organic" . IMO, 400# of clay litter isn't going to affect 70 acres of land.

I add clay and ashes to our composed compost because the compost is all organic matter.
A good soil is roughly composed of organic matter, sand, and clays.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

packet wrote:Rats...

"Super clumping clay. Dr. Elsey's Precious Ultra is a clumping clay litter. Therefore, it's not biodegradable and should never be flushed down the toilet, recycled or composted. "

packet

We've got 12 acres. I dumped some out a few years ago (about 2 month's worth). It took a couple years for it to disintegrate.

Ever since, we've been putting it in the trash....
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

itstoomuch wrote:It's clay. It's mined. It's a mineral. You can make bricks. It's "organic" . IMO, 400# of clay litter isn't going to affect 70 acres of land.
I add clay and ashes to our composed compost because the compost is all organic matter.
400lbs... for now... :)

Anyway, I wouldn't worry much about the clay either, it's the clumping chemicals, like sodium bentonite (whatever that is) etc...

If I could get the kitties to all pee in cubes or rectangular shapes... maybe I could build something out of the clumps... :)

Thanks!
packet
First round’s on me.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

packet wrote:
itstoomuch wrote:It's clay. It's mined. It's a mineral. You can make bricks. It's "organic" . IMO, 400# of clay litter isn't going to affect 70 acres of land.
400lbs... for now... :)

Anyway, I wouldn't worry much about the clay either, it's the clumping chemicals, like sodium bentonite (whatever that is) etc...

If I could get the kitties to all pee in cubes or rectangular shapes... maybe I could build something out of the clumps... :)

Thanks!
packet
Easier to train yourself: Get one of those kits for the "pre-moistened sand", to build "sand castles", with turrets and everything.
Could be quite a display :D

RM
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

bhsince87 wrote:We've got 12 acres. I dumped some out a few years ago (about 2 month's worth). It took a couple years for it to disintegrate.
Ever since, we've been putting it in the trash....
Thanks for the heads up.

I sent an email to Elsey's asking, then found the quote above thereafter. We pay a flat rate for garbage removal, so not really a worry.

packet
First round’s on me.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

packet wrote:
Sodium bentonite is a type of clay.

The whole world is made up of chemicals. :D
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
packet wrote:
Sodium bentonite is a type of clay.

The whole world is made up of chemicals. :D
LOL!
I so should have Google'd before posting! :oops:

Thanks.

packet
First round’s on me.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Clay doesn't decompose as you would normally think since its already elemental.
Your clay coffee mug is organic. :x
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Diatoms died for our cat :annoyed
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

itstoomuch wrote:Diatoms died for our cat :annoyed
So have a lot of chickens, turkeys, herrings, multiple types of fish, etc ... :) ... not to mention all the plants and animals I've personally eaten!

packet
First round’s on me.
quercus

Post by quercus »

Cost saving option -

We learned that cat breeders often use woodstove pellets. They're comparable to Feline Pine in the pet stores. You can get a 40 pound bag of woodstove pellets for about $5 at Home Depot or Lowes. But you need to stock up, because it's only available during heating season.

It's also nice that it quickly breaks down when you dispose of it. We scatter it in the bushes on the edges of our rural property, and in a few weeks it just looks like sawdust that's leftover from someone using a chainsaw.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:they leave heavy packages against my outward opening only door.
This is a fire hazard. :shock:
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

quercus wrote:Cost saving option -

We learned that cat breeders often use woodstove pellets. They're comparable to Feline Pine in the pet stores. You can get a 40 pound bag of woodstove pellets for about $5 at Home Depot or Lowes. But you need to stock up, because it's only available during heating season.

It's also nice that it quickly breaks down when you dispose of it. We scatter it in the bushes on the edges of our rural property, and in a few weeks it just looks like sawdust that's leftover from someone using a chainsaw.
Very interesting ...

What is box cleanup like?
I assume it doesn't clump... solids would be easy enough to scoop out... do the liquids get sucked up by the pellets?

Thanks,
packet
First round’s on me.
dolphinsaremammals

Boglenaut wrote:
dolphinsaremammals wrote:they leave heavy packages against my outward opening only door.
This is a fire hazard. :shock:
Strangely enough, that had occurred to me :D There is another exit from the house, but it got trashed shut by ice damage and the contractors here are swamped with winter damage repairs.