Which Credit Card w/ 5% Cash Back Rotating Category is Best?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

Which Credit Card with a 5% Cash Back Rotating Category is the Best?

Chase Freedom
56%
Discover It
38%
other
7%

Total votes: 45

Topic Author
INTRESIS

Which Credit Card w/ 5% Cash Back Rotating Category is Best?

Post by INTRESIS »

Which Credit Card with a 5% Cash Back Rotating Category is the Best?
FedGuy

Re: Which Credit Card w/ 5% Cash Back Rotating Category is B

Post by FedGuy »

Chase Freedom and Discover It both have similar cash back structures (both 1% cards with 5% rotating quarterly categories, with similar cash back maximums), and I haven't noticed a consistent difference in the usefulness of their 5% categories, so I consider them about the same. Some places don't accept Discover, though, so if you pushed me I'd have to give the edge to Chase Freedom.

Citi no longer seems to be offering their 5% rotating category card. I held on to mine for years, but their 5% categories have become progressively less useful, so I recently converted mine to a Citi Double Cash card.

Edited to add: Since I don't have a relationship with Chase other than as a credit card holder, I had forgotten about the additional bonuses that the Chase Freedom card gives to Chase banking customers. It sounds like those are going away, though, so I'd consider those irrelevant for the current analysis.
Last edited by FedGuy on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

I have chase Freedom and I did a very thorough analysis a few months ago when Chase announced future changes to the Freedom rewards program. The Freedom card gives you +10 bonus points for each purchase you make as well as giving you "+10% points on all purchases" (this basically means that you're getting 1.1% cash back as a baseline). It turns out that, on average, 30% of my rewards points came from these two bonus features. Only about 20-25% of my rewards came from the quarterly 5% categories (sometimes much lower, usually not much higher). My cashback each month ranged from 1.6% to 2.2%. Usually the 2%+ months were when I made big purchases in 5% cashback categories. But if you exclude the +10 bonus and the extra .1% cashback I mentioned before, my cashback was only 1.2% to 1.8%.

Chase is removing those 2 bonus rewards in December of this year and I intend to switch to the Citi double cash at that point.

Now I use my card for everything. If you intend to only use it in 5% cashback categories than my analysis doesn't really apply.

So I am voting "other" given the changes to Chase Freedom at the end of this year.
Topic Author
INTRESIS

Post by INTRESIS »

sharpjm wrote:I have chase Freedom and I did a very thorough analysis a few months ago when Chase announced future changes to the Freedom rewards program. The Freedom card gives you +10 bonus points for each purchase you make as well as giving you "+10% points on all purchases" (this basically means that you're getting 1.1% cash back as a baseline). It turns out that, on average, 30% of my rewards points came from these two bonus features. Only about 20-25% of my rewards came from the quarterly 5% categories (sometimes much lower, usually not much higher). My cashback each month ranged from 1.6% to 2.2%. Usually the 2%+ months were when I made big purchases in 5% cashback categories. But if you exclude the +10 bonus and the extra .1% cashback I mentioned before, my cashback was only 1.2% to 1.8%.

Chase is removing those 2 bonus rewards in December of this year and I intend to switch to the Citi double cash at that point.

Now I use my card for everything. If you intend to only use it in 5% cashback categories than my analysis doesn't really apply.

So I am voting "other" given the changes to Chase Freedom at the end of this year.
Wait which of the 2 bonus rewards are they getting rid of at the end of the year? The 5% categories, the 1% back on everything, or the +10 bonus points per purchase?
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

INTRESIS wrote:
sharpjm wrote:I have chase Freedom and I did a very thorough analysis a few months ago when Chase announced future changes to the Freedom rewards program. The Freedom card gives you +10 bonus points for each purchase you make as well as giving you "+10% points on all purchases" (this basically means that you're getting 1.1% cash back as a baseline). It turns out that, on average, 30% of my rewards points came from these two bonus features. Only about 20-25% of my rewards came from the quarterly 5% categories (sometimes much lower, usually not much higher). My cashback each month ranged from 1.6% to 2.2%. Usually the 2%+ months were when I made big purchases in 5% cashback categories. But if you exclude the +10 bonus and the extra .1% cashback I mentioned before, my cashback was only 1.2% to 1.8%.

Wait which of the 2 bonus rewards are they getting rid of at the end of the year? The 5% categories, the 1% back on everything, or the +10 bonus points per purchase?
They are getting rid of +10 points per purchase and the bonus +10% points on all purchases.

They will still have 5% categories and 1% on everything else.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

I voted Chase Freedom for the same reason. I take advantage of the extra 10% on all purchases since I have a Chase Checking as well. My answer probably changes on January 1, 2016 since they are more or less the same card, but the Discover It looks nicer, which matters to some people, and there is the free Fico Credit Score each month, which is nice. The downside is not a ton of places take Discover, which is a definite downside. I also like Discover's website. If you already have a Visa or Mastercard, the Discover It is probably the better card starting in January.
Topic Author
INTRESIS

Post by INTRESIS »

BeneIRA wrote:I voted Chase Freedom for the same reason. I take advantage of the extra 10% on all purchases since I have a Chase Checking as well. My answer probably changes on January 1, 2016 since they are more or less the same card, but the Discover It looks nicer, which matters to some people, and there is the free Fico Credit Score each month, which is nice. The downside is not a ton of places take Discover, which is a definite downside. I also like Discover's website. If you already have a Visa or Mastercard, the Discover It is probably the better card starting in January.
Which credit bureau is the Discover FICO score from?
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Their is Sallie Mae card which gives 5% on gas and groceries upto 250 for each every month. I have two such cards one for DW and one for me, taking limit to 500.
USbank lets you select two categories. I have again two of those cards enabling me to select 4 categories.
Target red card gives 5 % on target purchase.
Penfed Amex gives 5% points on air travel.
Penfed visa gives 5 %. points on gas
City forward givesc5% points on restaurant movie book shops all year
All Costco purchases are 4% 2 because of executive membership and 2 because of fidelity Amex.
Points don't convert to dollars at 1 but at around .85. Still for most purchases you can get close to 5% back

Post by 555 »

What exactly is a "category", and how does it all work out in practice?

How can I use one of these cards to get 5% off at Walmart?
mikep

Post by mikep »

None. I just use my 2% card to buy gift cards more than 3% off. I have the citi one at 5% at home depot, but I could get about 10% buying secondhand gift cards. I'm just trying to get to the next $50 redemption level then will convert to double cash.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I use the Freedom heavily for about 6 months of the year. 1 quarter of groceries (stock up on gift cards too) and another of restaurants for 5%.

Otherwise I have my Costco Amex used exclusively at Costco and their gas station and a Citi Doublecash for all other purchases/utilities.

Mike
midareff

Post by midareff »

I voted Discover based on 5% restaurant this quarter and 5% internet the last quarter. That last quarter should let me add a bit to my charitable donations.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

555 wrote:What exactly is a "category", and how does it all work out in practice?

Apply for the Barclay's Sallie Mae card. It allows $250/month for purchases at grocery stores. For the SM card, both WalMart and Target are usually categorized as "grocery." Use other cards to get more than 1% at "regular" grocery stores in order not to pass that "cap."

SM also returns 5% cash-back for Amazon purchases up to $250/month and 5% for gasoline purchases up to $750/month. Purchases in excess of those amounts, as well as all other purchases, get 1% cash-back.

You and your spouse can each get a SM card to double your rewards.
The529guy

Post by The529guy »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
555 wrote:What exactly is a "category", and how does it all work out in practice?

Apply for the Barclay's Sallie Mae card. It allows $250/month for purchases at grocery stores. For the SM card, both WalMart and Target are usually categorized as "grocery." Use other cards to get more than 1% at "regular" grocery stores in order not to pass that "cap."

SM also returns 5% cash-back for Amazon purchases up to $750/month $250/month and 5% for gasoline purchases up to $250/month $750/month. Purchases in excess of those amounts, as well as all other purchases, get 1% cash-back.

You and your spouse can each get a SM card to double your rewards.
Edited for small correction.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

The529guy wrote:Edited for small correction.
Thank you!
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

I did not know SM card gets 5% at Walmart. I will try at mine and report back

Post by 555 »

amitb00 wrote:I did not know SM card gets 5% at Walmart. I will try at mine and report back
Please do. I'd be curious to hear if this really works. I wonder where the 5% comes from.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Discover can be cashed in for many different gift cards for an 11-25% bonus ($20 for a $25 card or $45 for $50). Discover has better bonus rebates for shopping through their website, can get 5% cash back from quite a few stores.

I have both, but don't use either card much. Discover sometimes offers bonus rebates, if you charge enough over a given time period. They finally ratcheted down to a level I was willing to meet, had to charge $1000 over about 2.5 months to get an extra $75.

Once the 10% bonus goes away, the only advantage for Chase that I can think of is Visa has better car rental coverage. Visa is also accepted more places, but that seems to mostly be an issue for foreign travel and the Freedom card has foreign transaction fees and does not yet feature a chip, so is not the best Visa card to use for that.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I voted Chase Freedom for the same reason. I take advantage of the extra 10% on all purchases since I have a Chase Checking as well.
Can you describe this feature in more detail?

Thank you.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Barefootgirl wrote:
I voted Chase Freedom for the same reason. I take advantage of the extra 10% on all purchases since I have a Chase Checking as well.

Thank you.
If you have a Chase checking account they give you a 10% of what you have earned in rebates for the year. For example, if your total rebates for the year came to $200, you would get an extra $20 rebate at the end of the year. So the 5% is effectively 5.5% and 1% is 1.1%. This is the the last year they will be doing this.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

jeffyscott wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Thank you.
If you have a Chase checking account they give you a 10% of what you have earned in rebates for the year. For example, if your total rebates for the year came to $200, you would get an extra $20 rebate at the end of the year. So the 5% is effectively 5.5% and 1% is 1.1%. This is the the last year they will be doing this.
The 5% categories do not recieve the bonus 10% points on the bonus. The +10% points only adds to the baseline 1% points, which effectively gives 1.1% cashback as a baseline. The 5% categories are 1.1% + 4% = 5.1% points. You can check your rewards statement and see exactly how they are calculated.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

INTRESIS wrote:Which Credit Card with a 5% Cash Back Rotating Category is the Best?
Best tends to involve a lot of subjective matters. I don't find either to best best and carry both as well as another that can change on a quarterly basis -- the US Bank cash+. Despite that I'm generally not a fan of them. If I have enough spend to where 5% is meaningful then I probably have spend in that category year 'round and prefer cards that will always offer the most cash back on that spend. I guess I'd say that the cash+ my least favorite of the 3 now that restaurants are no longer a 5% category.

If you want recommendations you need to clarify what you mean by "best" otherwise you're just polling for the most popular versus what would be best suited to you. What are you specifically looking for? What are your priorities? Are there other considerations that might weigh in? For example, Chase Sapphire Preferred and Ink Plus cardholders may value the Freedom more since they can combine UR points and get more point value by transferring to travel partners.
amitb00 wrote:Their is Sallie Mae card which gives 5% on gas and groceries upto 250 for each every month. I have two such cards one for DW and one for me, taking limit to 500.
USbank lets you select two categories. I have again two of those cards enabling me to select 4 categories.
Target red card gives 5 % on target purchase.
Penfed Amex gives 5% points on air travel.
Penfed visa gives 5 %. points on gas
City forward givesc5% points on restaurant movie book shops all year
All Costco purchases are 4% 2 because of executive membership and 2 because of fidelity Amex.
None of these aside from the cash+ would qualify as rotating category cards per the OP.
You have to read the details for each program. Generally rewards are based on MCC but that's not always the case. Discover, for example, had "online" as a category for one quarter last year. You can find info on Discover's cash back here:
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/c ... endar.html

Chase Freedom here:
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/calendarreminder

...and you can easily Google the rest.
555 wrote:
amitb00 wrote:I did not know SM card gets 5% at Walmart. I will try at mine and report back
Please do. I'd be curious to hear if this really works. I wonder where the 5% comes from.
Read Doom&Gloom's post again:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163917&p=2462991#p2461405
jeffyscott wrote:the Freedom card has foreign transaction fees and does not yet feature a chip
Freedom is now available with EMV.
https://creditcards.chase.com/emv-credit-card-chip.aspx
INTRESIS wrote:Which credit bureau is the Discover FICO score from?
The score is from FICO but it's based on TransUnion data. Scoring model is FICO 8.
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/m ... score.html

Re: Which Credit Card w/ 5% Cash Back Rotating Category is Best?

Post by 555 »

So, can anyone confirm that they have personally used a CC to get 5% back at Walmart, and have consistently been able to continue to do that on an ongoing basis?
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

Why not get both? Neither have an annual fee; it doesn't have to be either/or. Oh, but managing TWO credit cards is just WAY too complicated... :oops:
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

555 wrote:So, can anyone confirm that they have personally used a CC to get 5% back at Walmart, and have consistently been able to continue to do that on an ongoing basis?
The Sallie Mae?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Grocery category up to $250 per monthly billing cycle.
At two different Walmart SuperCenters. YMMV if you don't have a nice Walmart near you.

Post by 555 »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
555 wrote:So, can anyone confirm that they have personally used a CC to get 5% back at Walmart, and have consistently been able to continue to do that on an ongoing basis?
The Sallie Mae?
At two different Walmart SuperCenters. YMMV if you don't have a nice Walmart near you.
Thanks for the feedback/confirmation. Are they easy to pay off, through ACH to my bank (i.e. I can do it online monthly, or even set up automatic payoff)?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

555 wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:
The Sallie Mae?
Thanks for the feedback/confirmation. Are they easy to pay off, through ACH to my bank (i.e. I can do it online monthly, or even set up automatic payoff)?
The only method I have ever used to redeem SM rewards is as a statement credit. I just went to my online account to check, and it appears that the only two other options are to redeem via a Upromise account or to redeem to pay off a student loan directly to Sallie Mae.

Perhaps someone else will chime in if it is possible that they can be redeemed via ACH to your bank.

Edit: I just re-read and it appears that you may be asking about paying off the credit card account. Yes, it is very simple. I have them draw it monthly from my checking account, and it is quite simple to set up automatic payments via the Barclay's SM site.

Post by 555 »

Thanks. That all sounds simple enough.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Ok, so I used Sallie Mae card at Walnart Super Center and got 5% cash back. So nice card. With two of them my limit has gone to 500 a month from usual 250
conroy

Post by conroy »

I'd vote for Freedom because it's accepted more places and the points can be pretty valuable if you also have an ink or sapphire preferred, but I'm with Drew777 - why decide instead of just getting both?

2 advantages of the discover card are that you get a free credit score every month and no foreign transaction fee...
Gleevec

Post by Gleevec »

1. Salle Mae MC
2. Chase Freedom
3. Discover It
black_knight_32

Post by black_knight_32 »

Check out the US Bank Cash Back Plus. You get to pick two 5% cash back categories and a 2% cash back category each quarter. Everything else earns 1%. I like the fact that I get to choose the cash back categories instead of like the freedom (i have this as well). I find the freedom categories have not been fantastic here lately.

From the US Bank website:

https://cashplus.usbank.com/
You'll earn 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in combined net purchases in your chosen 5% categories, and unlimited cash back in your 2% category. All other net purchases earn 1% cash back.

Post by 555 »

amitb00 wrote:Ok, so I used Sallie Mae card at Walmart Super Center and got 5% cash back. So nice card. With two of them my limit has gone to 500 a month from usual 250
Me too. Unfortunately it seems amazon.com does not recognize these cards.
batpot

Post by batpot »

I like the Discover card better, because it generally has better deals w/ online vendors for extra cash back above and beyond the rotating categories. I've also used it's price protection feature a few times.
But I have both.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

555 wrote:
amitb00 wrote:Ok, so I used Sallie Mae card at Walmart Super Center and got 5% cash back. So nice card. With two of them my limit has gone to 500 a month from usual 250
:confused

All of my Amazon purchases except digital downloads and Prime membership fees have received 5% CB.

Post by 555 »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
555 wrote:
All of my Amazon purchases except digital downloads and Prime membership fees have received 5% CB.
It's not a question of getting 5% back. I can't even get to step one. Amazon claims these (Sallie Mae) cards don't even exist in the first place. It claims to not recognize the numbers. They simply can't be used on Amazon at all.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

555 wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:
555 wrote:
It's not a question of getting 5% back. I can't even get to step one. Amazon claims these (Sallie Mae) cards don't even exist in the first place. It claims to not recognize the numbers. They simply can't be used on Amazon at all.
That is even stranger. I would contact SM and/or Amazon to straighten that out.

Post by 555 »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
555 wrote:It's not a question of getting 5% back. I can't even get to step one. Amazon claims these (Sallie Mae) cards don't even exist in the first place. It claims to not recognize the numbers. They simply can't be used on Amazon at all.
That is even stranger. I would contact SM and/or Amazon to straighten that out.
I just tried it at another online bookstore and online Walmart and the card number was "invalid". There's some problem with these Sallie Mae cards (hopefully temporary). It did work when swiping at a gas station and at B&M Walmart.