Best albums of 2015

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Petrocelli

Best albums of 2015

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:16 pm

My favorite so far: Kendrick Lamar's, To Pimp a Buttterfly. Here's my favorite track, King Kunta: (EXPLICIT LYRICS!!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSEtYNOgWKY
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

aquifer

Re: Best albums of 2015

Post by aquifer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:07 pm

There are only three kinds of music in the world: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and ZZ Top! Just thought I'd throw that out there :D

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:16 pm

I don't listen to entire albums coming out in 2015, but I like some artists that I've only heard very recently, such as Tame Impala, Fly Golden Eagle, Royal Blood, Griswolds, King Tuff, Cheatahs, Real Estate, and Courtney Barnett.
aquifer wrote:There are only three kinds of music in the world: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and ZZ Top! Just thought I'd throw that out there :D
Very fine choices. Once upon a time (university), I separated music into Led Zeppelin ("music") and "that other stuff." Have since expanded my horizons over the years. :-)
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:17 pm

aquifer wrote:There are only three kinds of music in the world: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and ZZ Top! Just thought I'd throw that out there :D
I don't generally listen to music not recorded in the past 5 years.
Last edited by Petrocelli on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott62

Post by Scott62 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:26 pm

I'm listening to Manchester Orchestra a lot lately. I really like their latest album "Cope", and the companion "Hope" (exact same songs, but recorded mostly acoustic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNupOEU0Zo

*I think these came out in 2014, not '15

Sorry, another 2014, but very good and interesting album is La Dispute's "Rooms of the House":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyg4N_u ... Dwc4OYQBMW_

camper

Post by camper » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Been listening to Medicine by Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors, Strangers to Ourselves by Modest Mouse and more recently Run by Awolnation.

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:23 am

Ed Sheeran just came town and was great live. Now we're listening to his stuff a lot around the house. I think X (multiply) is his latest album, not sure if it was 2015 though, I doubt it.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:33 am

Never heard of Kendrick Lamar. Spent a half hour reading his lyrics, interesting - unlike almost everything.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:39 am

Spotify just released a remastered Physical Graffiti. I have never been a fan of Zeppelin but will give it a listen. (in the 70s, I was more of a Clash, Elvis Costello, Sex Pistols listener...)

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:45 am

eucalyptus wrote:Never heard of Kendrick Lamar. Spent a half hour reading his lyrics, interesting - unlike almost everything.
I had heard of him before this album, and listened to his first album a little. His second album has received outstanding reviewed, and hold the record for being the most streamed album in one day on Spotify. Last week, there was one day when it had 9.6 million streams in a day.

The lyrics are intense. He is now easily my favorite rapper.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Found another good one today, Father John Misty's I Love You Honeybear. You can read about the album here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_You,_Honeybear

surfhb

Post by surfhb » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:04 am

Petrocelli wrote:
I don't generally listen to music not recorded in the past 5 years.
:) None of these bands have made a decent note in over 30 years. BTW....Ive seen AC/DC live 16 times.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:27 am

surfhb wrote:
:) None of these bands have made a decent note in over 30 years. BTW....Ive seen AC/DC live 16 times.
Then you're probably too deaf to judge by now. :wink:

That 'Honeybear' album is good.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 am

Petrocelli wrote:
eucalyptus wrote:Never heard of Kendrick Lamar. Spent a half hour reading his lyrics, interesting - unlike almost everything.
I had heard of him before this album, and listened to his first album a little. His second album has received outstanding reviewed, and hold the record for being the most streamed album in one day on Spotify. Last week, there was one day when it had 9.6 million streams in a day.

The lyrics are intense. He is now easily my favorite rapper.
I think you mean his second and third albums. Section.80 was his first.

It's going to be tough for me to like To Pimp a Butterfly as much as Good Kid Maad City. It's not nearly as accessible; I'll probably need to listen to it around 20 times.

Adding to the list:
Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:12 am

My top albums of 2015 so far:

Kendrick Lamar: To Pimp a Butterfly (2nd Best rap album of this millenium for me, behind Kanye's MBDTF)
Father John Misty: I love you, Honeybear (my favorite so far, modern singer-songwriter)
Bjork: Vulnicura (duh, it's Bjork)
Panda Bear: Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper (solo effort from the LCD Soundsystem frontman)
Drake: If You're Reading this its too Late (The hooks will be stuck in your head for days, looking at you "Know Yourself")
Ghostface Killah w/ BadBadNotGood: Sour Soul (good album from my favorite Wu-Tang Clan member with a live jazz band backing)

Honorable mention since it came out in Dec 2014 but I've been listening to it a lot this year:
D'angelo and the Vanguard: Black Messiah

I probably listen to too much music...

magicrat

Post by magicrat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:05 am

Jesse Maliln - New York Before the War

13characters

Post by 13characters » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 am

Scott62 wrote:I'm listening to Manchester Orchestra a lot lately. I really like their latest album "Cope", and the companion "Hope" (exact same songs, but recorded mostly acoustic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNupOEU0Zo
+1

I have no idea how I missed Hope, though. I'll have to rectify that immediately.

Manchester Orchestra is amazing, and their live shows are terrific.

-13c

therivler1

Post by therivler1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 am

FullYellowJacket wrote:Panda Bear: Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper (solo effort from the LCD Soundsystem frontman)
You mean Animal Collective.

LCDSS is one of my favorite bands, and if people have not listened to them before, they should.

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 am

therivler1 wrote:
FullYellowJacket wrote:Panda Bear: Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper (solo effort from the LCD Soundsystem frontman)
You mean Animal Collective.

LCDSS is one of my favorite bands, and if people have not listened to them before, they should.
ugghh, you are right. Complete brain fart on that one, I'll listen to This is Happening three times as penance.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:24 am

For the country fans...

I'm a big Kip Moore fan, and anxiously waiting his release. I've seen him in concerts multiple times and perform his new stuff, counting the days even though there isnt a release date :annoyed

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 am

Petrocelli wrote:My favorite so far: Kendrick Lamar's, To Pimp a Buttterfly. Here's my favorite track, King Kunta: (EXPLICIT LYRICS!!!!)

I confess to having really liked Taylor Swift's '1989'. Which was both the most popular album of 2014 and aimed at a demographic 1/3rd my age. I still think it a very good album.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:13 am

Petrocelli wrote:
Spotify just released a remastered Physical Graffiti. I have never been a fan of Zeppelin but will give it a listen. (in the 70s, I was more of a Clash, Elvis Costello, Sex Pistols listener...)
The glory years ....

'T'was bliss that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven ' -- WS Wordsworth

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:16 am

I have listened to several dozen releases and "Carrie & Lowell" by Sufjan Stevens is the best of the year by a considerable margin. It is a simply brilliant meditation on perseverance in the face of abandonment and loss. I think it is his finest achievement.

bac573

Post by bac573 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Strangers to Ourselves by Modest Mouse

Little Neon Limelight by Houndmouth

Two of my all time favorite bands, different music styles, both released new albums on the same day, March 17.
One thing to know about this town; not a person doesn't want me underground.

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:28 pm

supersharpie wrote:I have listened to several dozen releases and "Carrie & Lowell" by Sufjan Stevens is the best of the year by a considerable margin. It is a simply brilliant meditation on perseverance in the face of abandonment and loss. I think it is his finest achievement.
Just listened to it. Absolutely incredible album. The production on the album is fantastic, it goes perfectly with the subject matter. I wouldn't recommend listening to it at work though. I think my productivity is going to go down this afternoon as I sort through these new feelings.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:44 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
supersharpie wrote:I have listened to several dozen releases and "Carrie & Lowell" by Sufjan Stevens is the best of the year by a considerable margin. It is a simply brilliant meditation on perseverance in the face of abandonment and loss. I think it is his finest achievement.
Just listened to it. Absolutely incredible album. The production on the album is fantastic, it goes perfectly with the subject matter. I wouldn't recommend listening to it at work though. I think my productivity is going to go down this afternoon as I sort through these new feelings.
Oh man, is that a rough album. Wonderful piece of work. Probably the most affecting piece of art I've listened to. For others' reference, it's available free to stream for limited time from NPR: http://www.npr.org/2015/03/22/393575866 ... rie-lowell

Excuse me while I go call my mom on the phone and tell I love her. :-(
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:32 pm

ryuns wrote:Excuse me while I go call my mom on the phone and tell I love her. :-(
Hah! Thanks for that link. "Drawn to the Blood" is a pretty good track.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:36 pm

I am a big fan of Sufjan Stevens. Illinois was a masterpiece.

The problem is, the whole album isn't available on Spotify, so I am going to have to wait a few months on this one. It has gotten amazing reviews.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:40 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:My favorite so far: Kendrick Lamar's, To Pimp a Buttterfly. Here's my favorite track, King Kunta: (EXPLICIT LYRICS!!!!)

I confess to having really liked Taylor Swift's '1989'. Which was both the most popular album of 2014 and aimed at a demographic 1/3rd my age. I still think it a very good album.
I'm in my mid-fifties, and I'm listening to Kendrick Lamar. Taylor Swift would be far more age appropriate.

However, again, she didn't release this album on Spotify claiming it was unfair to artists. So I have never heard it.

Notably, Kendrick Lamar did release his album on Spotify, and set the single day record for most plays -- 9.6 million! It has been reported that he made around $1,000,000 that day from Spotify, and made several million dollars last week. Apparently, that's not enough money for dear little Taylor.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:42 pm

On an unrelated note, here's my Playlist of my 100 favorite tracks from 2014.

https://play.spotify.com/user/12559911/ ... RL9FyZmPaD

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm

If anyone is a fan of dark super grimy rap, Earl Sweatshirt's new "I don't like s***, I don't go outside" is fantastic.

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:17 pm

I pulled this up just now on Spotify, and if you're serious, then I am just Old (63)... I love hard rock (Jimmi Hendrix etc.) but this especially 'King Kunta' basically does not do it for me at all. Yes, I am old and will never like this music in my Lifetime. I am a FDR Liberal and Open to New Ideas and did try this music, but it is not for me in any way shape or form.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:45 pm

BahamaMan wrote:

I pulled this up just now on Spotify, and if you're serious, then I am just Old (63)... I love hard rock (Jimmi Hendrix etc.) but this especially 'King Kunta' basically does not do it for me at all. Yes, I am old and will never like this music in my Lifetime. I am a FDR Liberal and Open to New Ideas and did try this music, but it is not for me in any way shape or form.
I grew up on Hendrix, the Stones and the Beatles. I was in NYC between 1977 and 1981 and saw every major punk/new wave band live.

I have playlists on Spotify of my favorite rock songs that I listen to when I work out, but most of the time, I rarely listen to music more than a year old. I think that music today is better than it has been in a long time. There are dozens of great artists, and there are a few albums each year I consider "masterpieces." (Suck as Beck's Morning Phase last year.)

However, I understand that Kendrick Lamar is not for everyone. But, my parents didn't like Hendrix either. ;)

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Petrocelli wrote:I grew up on Hendrix, the Stones and the Beatles. I was in NYC between 1977 and 1981 and saw every major punk/new wave band live.

I have playlists on Spotify of my favorite rock songs that I listen to when I work out, but most of the time, I rarely listen to music more than a year old. I think that music today is better than it has been in a long time. There are dozens of great artists, and there are a few albums each year I consider "masterpieces." (Suck as Beck's Morning Phase last year.)

However, I understand that Kendrick Lamar is not for everyone. But, my parents didn't like Hendrix either. ;)
Peace ! ..... Yup, my parents did not like Hendrix either. And try as I can, I just cannot get my head around rap. :sharebeer

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 pm

BahamaMan wrote:And try as I can, I just cannot get my head around rap. :sharebeer
Keep in mind that "rap" is a very broad spectrum of music. It would be like your parents saying, "I just can't get my head around rock." That would include the Beatles, the Cowsills, the Stones, The Carpenters, Hendrix , The Monkees, Thw Who and The Partridge Family.

There are some rappers who rap better, and are more creative. Kendrick Lamar's new album is the equivalent of a White Album or Sgt. Peppers in rap. I can't explain why. It's just way more creative. Take my word for it.

One last try on rap. Check this live cut out. The band is smoking, and the main riff is from the Isley Brother's "That Lady". And check out the force with which he raps.

[Link and posted lyrics which exceed the "family friendly" threshold removed by admin LadyGeek]

swaption

Post by swaption » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:48 am

Petrocelli wrote:I don't generally listen to music not recorded in the past 5 years.
I guess your view is that watches hold their value better than music...

Try as I might, I can't get away from all of my old music. Would still go out of my way to see Neil Young in just about any of his formats, or Led Zeppelin for that matter if it ever came to pass, and love the Stones although they never play what I want to hear at those curcus-like live shows. Someone in the industry even made fun of me when I said I was going to see Cracker, and the funny thing is that I actually consider that new music.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:09 am

swaption wrote:Try as I might, I can't get away from all of my old music.
Why try? The 70s saw a Golden Age of recording. I think there's room for old music & new.

MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:12 am

While Kendrick Lamar is outside the range of my normal playlist, I thought his recent performance on SNL was outstanding. One of the most memorable I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sop2V_MREEI

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:14 am

swaption wrote:Try as I might, I can't get away from all of my old music. Would still go out of my way to see Neil Young in just about any of his formats, or Led Zeppelin for that matter if it ever came to pass, and love the Stones although they never play what I want to hear at those curcus-like live shows. Someone in the industry even made fun of me when I said I was going to see Cracker, and the funny thing is that I actually consider that new music.
This thread is going in an unitended direction, as many threads do, but that's OK.

Don't get me wrong, every so often I'll download an "old" album on Spotify and check it out. This week, for example, I was listening to Layla -- Duane Allman and Eric Clapton at their peak trading riffs toe to toe. A classic.

And there are "old" bands making great new music. Last year, Tom Petty's Hypnotic Eye comes to mind.

But as for seeing Mick Jagger in a Richard Simmons workout outfit at age 71 prancing around like a Florida retiree on crack in an arena for $150? I'll pass. If I want rock, I'll see a band that was like the Stones in 1964, like the Strypes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6me1bp3_4Ww

If I want a mellow sound like Neil Young, I'll check out Father John Misty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6NuYJ0RzRg

The bottom line is that rock is as vibrant, and perhaps more diversified, than it was in the 1970s. If you choose not to listen, that's OK. But you are missing a lot of great music.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Petrocelli wrote:Spotify just released a remastered Physical Graffiti. I have never been a fan of Zeppelin but will give it a listen. (in the 70s, I was more of a Clash, Elvis Costello, Sex Pistols listener...)
I just finished listening to Physical Graffiti. I am still not a fan.

ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Anything rock from the late 60s to mid 70s, the golden era for music.

sambb

Post by sambb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj and Ne-yo. Tay's album dropped in 2014, so not relevant. they are better than some of the "classic rock" to my ears, with all of that distorted guitar stuff and drum banging. Hip hop stars' lyrics are just amazing these days.

Nevertheless, the word "album" is rarely used in my circles; we tend to just stream or listen to mp3s. Spotify is fantastic for this, but so is iTunes. The album stuff seems a little dated, to buy every song from 1 artist. But i know we used to do that in the 70s; seems like so so long ago. I guess it was over 30 years ago. Nevertheless music is personal, so "best album" is so individual that anyone could say anything. This is why streaming is fantastic, can create your own station. What could be better..

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:51 pm

sambb wrote:Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj and Ne-yo. Tay's album dropped in 2014, so not relevant. they are better than some of the "classic rock" to my ears, with all of that distorted guitar stuff and drum banging. Hip hop stars' lyrics are just amazing these days.

Nevertheless, the word "album" is rarely used in my circles; we tend to just stream or listen to mp3s. Spotify is fantastic for this, but so is iTunes. The album stuff seems a little dated, to buy every song from 1 artist. But i know we used to do that in the 70s; seems like so so long ago. I guess it was over 30 years ago. Nevertheless music is personal, so "best album" is so individual that anyone could say anything. This is why streaming is fantastic, can create your own station. What could be better..
I make playlists of favorite songs from each year, as well as favorites in various genres (rock, country, rap, jazz).

However, most of the time, I am listening to entire albums from beginning to end.

The Nicki Minaj album from last year was one of my favorites.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:54 pm

ychuck46 wrote:Anything rock from the late 60s to mid 70s, the golden era for music.
My parents thought the 40s and 50s was the the golden era for music. I think that most people seem to think that the best music was when they were teenagers and young adults. They stop listening to new music when they have kids.

I never stopped listening to new music. I am bored by most of the music from the "golden era", whether my parents or mine.

iceport

Post by iceport » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:28 am

Petrocelli wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:Spotify just released a remastered Physical Graffiti. I have never been a fan of Zeppelin but will give it a listen. (in the 70s, I was more of a Clash, Elvis Costello, Sex Pistols listener...)
Me neither. They had a lot going for them instrumentally, and they composed some decent songs. Unfortunately, their use of a pterodactyl to screech out the lyrics completely overpowered and ruined their music. I really think I would have warmed up to them well enough if they had at least a passable lead singer. It took a long, long time to figure that out.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:48 am

linenfort wrote:I don't listen to entire albums coming out in 2015, but I like some artists that I've only heard very recently, such as Tame Impala, Fly Golden Eagle, Royal Blood, Griswolds, King Tuff, Cheatahs, Real Estate, and Courtney Barnett.
I listened to Courtney Barnett's new album yesterday, "Sometimes I sit and think...." Great stuff. Thanks for the recommendation. Here's a cut from the album for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Well, too early to tell but since it's looking like potentially new albums from Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax and Testament, it's going to be a great year for the legions of thrash metal fans here on the boglehead forums!

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:31 pm

I prefer music a little less profane.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:59 pm

MikeWillRetire wrote:

I prefer music a little less profane.
Then I am guessing Kendrick Lamar should not be on your playlist, although he actually doesn't curse that much for a rapper. You will probably hear a lot more profanity in many one hour HBO shows than on that album.

Marquintosh

Post by Marquintosh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 pm

iceport wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:
Me neither. They had a lot going for them instrumentally, and they composed some decent songs. Unfortunately, their use of a pterodactyl to screech out the lyrics completely overpowered and ruined their music. I really think I would have warmed up to them well enough if they had at least a passable lead singer. It took a long, long time to figure that out.
From the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time from Rolling Stone Magazine:

#73 Physical Graffiti (1975)
"Let's put it this way: I had a sitar before George Harrison," said Jimmy Page, explaining his longtime love for Indian music. Zep's frontman shared that affinity: In 1972, Robert Plant and Page journeyed to Bombay to make experimental recordings with Indian studio musicians and perform in an underground disco. Physical Graffiti is the ultimate in Led Zeppelin's attempts to fuse East and West, exploring the Arabic and Indian sonorities of "Kashmir" and "In the Light." It's Zeppelin's most eclectic album, featuring down-and-dirty blues ("Black Country Woman," "Boogie With Stu"), pop balladry ("Down by the Seaside") and the 11-minute "In My Time of Dying." An excessive album from the group that all but invented excess.

Now (2015), I still enjoy it and love their influence in contemporary artists. Ana Phoebe's latest album, "Between The Shadow and The Soul", it's glued in my CD player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlVoLDcmVNs