Tourists in Manhattan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thirdman

Tourists in Manhattan

Post by thirdman »

My wife and I are going to be tourists in Manhattan for a week, in May. We are not New Yorkers and have not been in New York City since 1971.

We eat just about everything. Like jazz, broadway musicals, museums, architecture. We are in our 60’s but we still can walk a mile or two. Our budget allows for about $300 per night for the hotel.

Where should we stay? What part of Manhattan? Restaurant suggestions? What should we see?

All suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Thirdman
JMacDonald

Re: Tourists in Manhattan

Post by JMacDonald »

When I have visited NYC for a week, I got a subway pass for the week. You can take the subway from JFK into Manhattan:
http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm

A good way to see the Statue of Liberty is from the Staten Island Ferry. It is free. :happy
http://siferry.com/faqtips.html

The Met Museum is a great place to visit. Go early and spend the day;
http://www.metmuseum.org

I go to NYC for the performing arts. You can see operas, ballets, concerts, and plays at Lincoln Center.
http://lc.lincolncenter.org

Have fun.
Best Wishes, | Joe
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

When we visited in 2012 Fall, we stayed at Hampton inn in Newark for about $ 100.00 per night which included very good breakfast. They have a shuttle (5 minutes drops you off at a train station and you can be in midtown fast. On return, you call them and shuttle picks you up till 11 Pm at night. If need to spend an extra day or two in New York but this way you are not spending 300 per night for a dingy place. Alternatively as OP suggested stay outside and take subway pass. It is faster than tourist buses. Hotel also has free parking on premises for the guests in case you are within driving distance of NY City. ( 7-8 hours)
Brian2d

Post by Brian2d »

Another place to look for hotels where you can save a bit is Long Island City, which is 5-10 minutes from Manhattan and has good subway access. But at $300 a night you may be able to get a nice place right in Manhattan (I live in NYC so have not needed to look for hotels here and don't know what they go for).
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

Hotel prices in Manhattan in May will be high. College graduations, etc.

Staying near Newark and taking the train in gets old unless you want to see what the life of a NJ commuter is like.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
fh2000

Post by fh2000 »

Time Square
Central Park
China Town --- Wall street to touch that bull (just me)
camden

Post by camden »

My last trip (October 2012), I stayed at the Hotel Metro on 35th St. in midtown; nice, excellent location, and reasonably priced by Manhattan standards.
Topic Author
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

Thanks all.
Kircheis

Post by Kircheis »

I was there just this weekend. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express next to Madison Square Garden (29th St, Between 7th and 8th Avenue) for $134 per night (including tax). The room was small, but comfortable. Free breakfast. It was very convenient as I could walk everywhere and it was very close to Penn Station where I took the train to the Newark Airport.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

thirdman wrote:Like jazz, broadway musicals [...] What should we see?
Jazz:

Village Vanguard

Smalls

For Broadway, hit the TKTS booth and see what looks good!
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Sportswhiz00

Post by Sportswhiz00 »

I just stayed at the Westhouse, right by Central Park. It's about $300 a night with a nicer continental breakfast. Nice place - marble bathroom with walk-in shower and a full loveseat.
Whether it is near the things people want to see, I have no idea because I'm not too familiar with the city. It was about 5 minutes to walk to Central Park (with numerous diners and cafes nearby), 10 minutes walk to Times Square and 25 minutes cab to lower manhattan in middle of rush hour, cost $20-$25. There was also a subway station right outside the building, but I don't know where it goes.
WL2034

Post by WL2034 »

When we take tourists trips (don't have a specific hotel we need to stay at for a wedding or conference), we like to use Priceline or Hotwire. You can easily save $100+ nightly on a 4* or 5* hotel and you can choose the neighborhood of your hotel, just won't find out the specific hotel until after your credit card is charged (non-refundable).

We stayed at the Refinery Hotel for a 3-day weekend to celebrate my wife's Birthday a couple years back, it was just opening and rates were a bit lower, but now they are $400+ / night. We loved it, very cool boutique hotel in a renovated hat factory in the garment district. I do see they have a 20% off deal if you book in advance and pre-pay the full amount (non-refundable), so that would be somewhere near $300. http://www.refineryhotelnewyork.com/
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Staying in NYC is crazy expensive! When I went, they wanted $75 a night just for overnight parking at a Manhattan hotel. Forget that. That was in 2010.

FWIW, my recommendations:

1) Embassy Suites in Secaucus-Meadowlands. You get a full hot breakfast to start the day right. Free parking (at least when I was there). Complimentary evening snacks and beverages.
2) Buy a round trip ticket daily and take the transit authority bus into NYC (20 minutes each way). It's right across the street from the Embassy Suites and will take you to the port authority terminal which is right across the street from the NY Times and about a two block walk to Times Square. Costs about as much as parking your car for an hour in NYC.
3) Absolutely get the New York City Pass. You really will see more than you expected and it'll cost less than paying for each attraction separately. I highly suggest the Intrepid Museum for starters. Skip Madame Tussaud's - tourist trap. Go on the Circle Line sightseeing boat tour, but skip the 3 hour tour (queue Gilligan's Theme)...it was too long.
4) Wander Central Park.
5) Pay your respects at Ground Zero.
6) Take cabs. They're faster and cost about the same as a subway for longer jaunts.
7) There are so many eateries that your head will be spinning. Can't go wrong with NY pizza (even if I am originally from Chi-town).
8) Stereotypes about folks in NYC are false. The vast majority of people I encountered were nice and courteous.
9) Take your time and enjoy. There is NO WAY you can see it all. I'm looking forward to a return visit some day.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

Staying in NJ makes no sense IMHO. Penny wise and pound foolish.
Part of New York is that it is a 24 hour town. You need to stay in the City to experience the true NY. Check out the various hotel web search engines. Hotel Tonight usually has reasonably priced deals the day of. Also check on Air BnB for an apartment rental that meets your needs. Staying in midtown will put you in the center of the action.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

rrppve wrote:Staying in NJ makes no sense IMHO. Penny wise and pound foolish.
Part of New York is that it is a 24 hour town. You need to stay in the City to experience the true NY. Check out the various hotel web search engines. Hotel Tonight usually has reasonably priced deals the day of. Also check on Air BnB for an apartment rental that meets your needs. Staying in midtown will put you in the center of the action.
I agree, staying in NJ makes no sense, but please don't suggest Air BnB or similar services to rent an apartment in NYC. As a general matter, apartment rentals are illegal in NYC. More details available on Trip Advisor (which I find a useful travel planning resource as well). In addition to breaking the law, OP could end up without a place to stay. Not only are advertised apartment rentals typically illegal, sometimes they are not even a legitimate address.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6076 ... ntals.html
Swampy wrote:
6) Take cabs. They're faster and cost about the same as a subway for longer jaunts.
Huh? :oops: With all due respect, how could taking a cab ride, let alone a long one, cost about the same as a subway ride? The maximum subway fare today is $2.75; presumably the OP would get a lower rate by buying a 7-day pass or through volume discounts. The minimum initial fare for a taxi is $2.50; additional surcharges apply depending on time of day, etc. and then you've got the tip for the driver (okay, optional but I think we can agree that the driver probably deserves a tip). This is the cost before the taxi has even moved an inch. For $2.75 one can travel anywhere the NYC subway system goes, which is really far. That same distance will easily cost $30 or more in a taxi. Also, once you figure out the subway system, it can often be faster than traveling in a taxi, which can easily get stuck in traffic. Lots of gridlock in NYC ... :annoyed
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

Stay in Manhattan! You said your budget is up to $300 a night. You should be able to find something quite nice for that.

I frequently stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, Times Square:

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/h ... index.html

I paid $145 a night there recently but it may cost more in May. Large rooms (for Manhattan), very clean and comfortable, with a refrigerator and microwave. It's within three blocks of two different subway stops with different lines and walkable to Broadway theaters, Central Park, and the Museum of Modern Art. Lots of restaurants and grocery stores nearby.

At times when that hotel has been booked or too expensive (conventions in town, etc. drive up prices) I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, Chelsea:

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/h ... index.html

It's also a nice, clean hotel. There is less right there, the hotel is in the middle of the flower district and the shops tend to close up at night, but it's very convenient to attractions in lower Manhattan and also near subway lines. It's not too far from the High Line if you like to walk.

There are also hotels in downtown Brooklyn. I would stay in downtown Brooklyn long before I would stay at JFK or in New Jersey. Part of the experience of New York is being in New York. You don't want to have to commute in every day. If you are in the city you can go out and do things, then come back and rest before dinner, and then go out again in the evening. If you are staying at the airport or in New Jersey you won't want to do that.

As far as what to do, I personally love to walk in Manhattan. There are lots of great museums, of course. Two museums a little off the beaten path that I love are the Guggenheim and the Cloisters (long subway ride but worth it). If you go to the Cloisters, try to go on a nice day so you can appreciate the gardens. Walking the High Line is wonderful. On a recent trip to New York I went to the new World Trade Center memorial. I found it moving. If the weather is nice, walk around Central Park. See some Broadway shows. With a week, you can explore neighborhoods in Brooklyn as well as Manhattan. I like taking the subway somewhere, plotting out a route, and just walking. People watching and window shopping is fun and when you get tired there is usually an interesting looking café nearby.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I would take Lyft or Uber if you need to.
corner559

Post by corner559 »

I would also agree that staying near NJ to save money is a total waste. Stay in Manhattan. I prefer midtown since it's close to many tourist spots and theaters.
stedmakr

Post by stedmakr »

Stay in the Radio City Apartments in downtown NYC (google the URL). The cost is less than $300 per night and rated 4 stars by trip advisor. You are about a block and a half from Times Square, a block from Rockefeller Center and 2 to 4 blocks from various theaters in the theater district and walking distance (about 8 blocks) from Central Park. You are also next to two subway stations. I think the hotel is the best kept lodging secret in the city. You are in the middle of everything.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Swampy wrote:When I went, they wanted $75 a night just for overnight parking at a Manhattan hotel. Forget that.
Of course you should forget that. Do not park in Manhattan. Do not drive in Manhattan. Just...don't.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

socarratpaellabar.com Several nyc locations, one of the best meals I've ever had. Paella is to die for...really.

This was the hotel I stayed at last time: lexingtonhotelnyc.com it has a nice deli across the street, & a Starbucks in the lobby. Typical small nyc room, clean.

Located within walking distance of: Central Park, st. Michaels church, Rockefeller center, time square, NYC's best bagels- essa bagel, Carnegie deli (split a Reuben, you won't regret it), the diamond district, subway stops, high end shopping (ie: Tiffany's, channel, bergdorf goodman, sky tons of bond street, etc). Museum of modern art, Guggenheim...

Google rooftop bars...I forget the name, but there is one a block or two from the Lexington. You have to see the city lights from up high...amazing.

I lived in the city for many years. Still love to go back.
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

PoppyA wrote:socarratpaellabar.com Several nyc locations, one of the best meals I've ever had. Paella is to die for...really.
This place is amazing.

You should also try Pylos in East Village if you like Greek food.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (travel).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
westie

Post by westie »

Will be more expensive in May. Spent a few days there in middle of December, stayed at The Row, formerly the Milford Plaza, totally renovated, great location, 8th Ave, between 44/45 St. Groupon always has coupons for NYC hotels.
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

Post removed by OP.
Last edited by Loandapper on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buffalo Chuck

Post by Buffalo Chuck »

When I'm staying for shorter visits, I will stay near client offices - uptown (in the 60th Street to 90s Street)... or midtown, I usually stay at the InterContinental on 44th, or if I'm "downtown", I'll find something below 42nd Street.

I prefer subways so token-passes are great, but Manhattan is Pedestrian Central - walking is such a great way to go. If I have a nothing-to-do Saturday, I can take the subway up to the Cloisters (far northern tip) and walk all the way down Broadway for a day-long hike. It's an easy way to spend 12-13 hours of walking and window-gawking.

I also divide eateries into Street Level, Basement, 2nd Story or Street-Vendors.
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 »

I've been traveling to NY for over 30 years. Stay in midtown. We usually stay at the Hilton at 53rd and Ave of the Americas. We're going again in August and rooms are just around $200/night (seasonal differences prevail, of course, so call). A million people can recommend where to go and where to eat... But if you want a nice meal directly across the street, go to China Grill in the CBS building (it's literally across the street). Don't forget Carnegie Deli, either. Some of the food trucks are wonderful. And walk walk walk... to the Met, to MOMA, to Tiffany's, up 6th and Madison and down 5th. Have drinks at the Plaza... visit the Apple store. Walk down into Greenwich Village and SoHo.

You'll love it.

RTR
singern

Post by singern »

+1 Except I avoid midtown like the plague (I live in Manhattan)

I would recommend checking out Air bnb if your comfortable with that. You can be in a wonderful neighborhood ex. Soho, Gramercy, West Village and have a much more personal and authentic lodging experience.

Also, Check out the Blue Note Jazz Bar for music and Cocktails, Booker and Dax for a romantic setting with superb drinks (I highly recommend the Manhattan and the Old Fashioned) and please walk the high line. Its absolutely incredible.
I haven't "needed the money" since I took Archie's milk money in the third grade.... but I like it - The Departed, 2006.
Johno

Post by Johno »

I agree staying in Newark is ridiculous. However staying in Jersey City, Hoboken or Weehawken you'd be as close to key places in Manhattan as you'd be in Queens or Brooklyn. The PATH train system connects Hoboken, JC and Newark to Manhattan, but it's a much longer ride out to Newark which is also frankly a dicey place. There are also ferries which are nice though you lose some of the savings in high fare. But at $300 Manhattan itself is also feasible.

As mentioned the taxi comment is the wrong way around: a fare for two can be comparable to two subway rides for a short distance but will pile up to much more for a long distance, and is also slower in many cases. But as with visiting any city with a subway you take more of it in moving around above ground than underground. Also some out of towners are uncomfortable on the NY subway though it's safe nowadays any place tourists would likely go.

Some survey found NY to be the most polite American city. I don't know and am biased probably because it's my home town but the stereotype of NY as hostile is ridiculous IMO compared to other places I've been. It's a busy place, not a hostile place.
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

IMHO the best way to see Manhattan (if you have the time and are in good health) is to do walking tours. This is a walking town and you really get to see and feel the atmosphere of the different areas. There are many outifits where you can book a tour and we used NY Historical Tours. They custom designed a tour which took us from Little Italy/Chinatown up through the West Village, SOHO and ended at Chelsea and the Highline. The tour guide was knowledgeable and answered any questions we threw at him. You get the background and historical tidbits as well as contemporary gossip. How neighborhoods have evolved and changed is fascinating. The personal touch is really great. Learn to use the subway (not too hard once you do a little research). You can get a 7 day card for unlimited use and get anyway in the city. Also a great way to rub elbows(literally) with the locals. We had a blast after the 3rd day people were actually asking us questions on what rail line to use to get to wherever. Have fun.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

RTR2006 wrote:We usually stay at the Hilton at 53rd and Ave of the Americas.
By the way, "Avenue of the Americas" is the official name and you'll see it on street signs, but locals usually just call it "Sixth Avenue." It's also easier to find that way.
Johno wrote:the stereotype of NY as hostile is ridiculous IMO compared to other places I've been. It's a busy place, not a hostile place.
True. New Yorkers will generally help you find your way around if you follow certain rules. Specifically:

1) Don't walk more than 2 or 3 abreast. Someone behind you is probably trying to get through.
2) If you want to slow down, stop to check your phone, etc., move to the edge of the sidewalk. But don't block a building entrance/exit or a crosswalk.
3) If you want to ask someone for directions, find someone who's just standing around or at least ask someone waiting for the light to change. Don't expect someone who's hustling somewhere to stop and chat.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

singern wrote:
+1 Except I avoid midtown like the plague (I live in Manhattan)

I would recommend checking out Air bnb if your comfortable with that. You can be in a wonderful neighborhood ex. Soho, Gramercy, West Village and have a much more personal and authentic lodging experience.
Just to clarify, by "checking out Air bnb if your comfortable with that" means that OP would need to be okay with basically being a roommate to the person whose apartment it is -- OP would share the apartment while the owner or renter is home with them. That's the only way it would be legal, as far as I know, apart from renting an apartment for 30 days or more (and OP has already stated that the visit will be one week).

As shown in the attached report from the New York Attorney General issued October 2014, the analysis of Airbnb bookings for "private" stays indicated that most short-term rentals booked were illegal (p. 2). The next page of the report states that "Private Short-Term Rentals Displaced Long-Term Housing in Thousands of Apartments." Not only does using Airbnb place OP or others at risk of getting scammed, or worse, it also subjects New Yorkers to having their residences turned into de facto hostels as well as to reduced housing stock and thereby even steeper housing costs, among other things (lost tax revenues from hotels, etc.). Last but not least, in most cases it's breaking the law! :annoyed

http://www.ag.ny.gov/pdfs/Airbnb%20report.pdf

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g6076 ... ntals.html
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

You can absolutely fill your time in Manhattan, but I would encourage you plan some visits to the the boroughs, they are all very different, but all distinctly NYC.
13characters

Post by 13characters »

I highly, highly, highly recommend spending some time seeing the Frick Collection right next to Central Park. It was recommended to me by my pseudo-father-in-law who grew up in the city, and it was one of the high points of my trip there. http://www.frick.org/

-13c
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

First I would stay in the city. If your tired for a bit, you can run to the hotel, relax and then go out again.
If you in NJ or Westchester, you would not have that same options.

AS for resturants, there are 15,000+ in NYC
What type of food; what price range; there are great restaurants in all price ranges; you just need to spell out what interests you.
One of my specialities
PIZZA:
1. Lombardis - Soho, 1st pizzeria in the country (1910 or so) and partially owned by 5th generation)
2. Keste: Greenwich village; great artisan thin crust pizza
3. John's of Bleeker Street, in Greenwich Village and theater district
4. Motorino, East Village
5. Artichoke Pizza: several locations in the city; not thin crust
(many top pizzerias in Brooklyn as well as Manhattan).
communipaw

Post by communipaw »

Staying/Not staying in NJ
"NJ" is big. Staying in Newark IS inconvenient. But there are 4 or 5 hotels in Jersey City at the Exchange Place and Pavonia PATH Tube stations: Exchange Place 3- 4 minutes from Lower Manhattan, Pavonia-Newport 5 minutes from Greenwich Village.
Topic Author
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

Great! Thanks all.

We are flying into JFK. Best way to get into Manhattan? We will each have one suitcase.

I am going to need new walking shoes. The sole just came off of my Ecco's. Any suggestions?

Thirdman
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

thirdman wrote:Great! Thanks all.

We are flying into JFK. Best way to get into Manhattan? We will each have one suitcase.
AirTrain to / from JFK works pretty well, especially if your luggage is minimal. Current fare shown is $7.50 per person, but subway / bus fares are scheduled to go up the end of this month, so your cost will be slightly higher. Still, ~$7.50 * 2 vs. $60+ for a taxi (plus tip) seems a BH thing to do :happy And, if you plan to get a 7-day fare card anyway (highly recommended), you can use it to get to Manhattan at the end of your Air Train ride (thereby arguably reducing the cost of the trip). Just be careful, as the 7-days applies beginning the day you first activate the card. For example, if you first swipe a 7-day card at 6 a.m. you still have 18 hours to use for that day. But if you swipe at 11 p.m. you only get one hour of "free" rides that day.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited
thirdman wrote:I am going to need new walking shoes. The sole just came off of my Ecco's. Any suggestions?

Thirdman
We've found some good deals on Amazon via their "lightning deals." In fact, SO recently got some Eccos for $80, a nice discount to Amazon's normal price.

They've been running a 50% off sale on Rockport men's shoes (certain styles only, but pretty decent options, imo) for a while now. It looks as if it's been extended to March 18 (from I thought March 1).

Sorry to hear about the sole coming off your Eccos. Apparently that's not such an uncommon problem, at least based on the reviews I read. Kind of made me hesitate to order them, but for 80 bucks I figured it was worth a shot. Not sure how well $50 Rockports may last, either. :confused

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=nav_cs_gb

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_10184364 ... PDKIKX0DER
Topic Author
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

RJ:

Thanks.

Thirdman
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

If your budget allows for $300/night, you should be able to afford to stay in Manhattan. May is the 2nd or 3rd best weather month, IMHO - I would rate it #1, but allergies put it behind Sept and Oct for me. If you're not from around here, then allergies shouldn't be a concern.

I'm going to buck the trend and say to stay in midtown - it'll be close to all of your interests: broadway shows, museums, etc. I would jaunt outside of midtown to visit different areas each day, however.

Get a metrocard, and download the NYC subway app on your phone. It's really quite easy to take the sabway. Take taxis at night only. During the day, they're not going to be faster than a subway + walking. I personally prefer uberX, because you don't have to deal with hailing a cab. Ignore this if you don't have a smartphone.

There are too many restaurants to really narrow it down without some criteria, but here are restaurants that I would recommend off the top of my head. Note: the following are mostly pricey (think $100pp) and/or likely difficult to get a reservation, but still worth it:

Sushi Yasuda
Marea
ABC Kitchen
Blue Hill
Katz's

These are from personal preference. There are tons of blogs/websites devoted to NYC food, and I would defer to them, in most instances.
Topic Author
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

Thanks Knowledge. Much appreciated.

We are thinking of staying in Chinatown. Downsides? We also found a nice hotel in the upper west side next to PJ Clarkes.

Thanks again.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Chinatown- lower east side could be good. Close to SOHO, NOLITA, World Trade Center, lWall Street,& Greenwich. Village. You could spend a week exploring those areas. A Soccorat Paella bar in NOLITA!!!😃😃😃😃😃😃

Subway access is easy from China town.

Downside is it is crowded!

SOHO = south of Houston (not HUEston, it is pronounced HOUSEton)
NOLITA = North of Little Italy. Little Itally sadly ,has gotten pushed out by China town. It is now very tiny.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

If you are staying in Chinatown, a really good tip is to avoid the Grand Street Train Station during rush hours of 5pm - 7pm. It is so crowded that you might not be able to get on at that time.

The alternate is, if you are in good shape, walk to the N/R station on Prince Street if you want to use public transportation.
singern

Post by singern »

My girlfriend I took a helicopter tour last week for our anniversary.

I'm scared of flying so I was absolutely terrified for 3-5 minutes but after that I realized it was a comfortable ride with mind-blowing views! I would highly recommend!

Please use a groupon and ask about a free upgrade when you get there, we did both and got both :happy
I haven't "needed the money" since I took Archie's milk money in the third grade.... but I like it - The Departed, 2006.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I always recommend people eat pizza. I love NY pizza. Nothing else like it.
Topic Author
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

Thanks poppy and jridger. Singern, frankly I am scared of flying too.

All appreciated.

Thirdman
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

You'll have a great time. Some Boglehead recommendations from a NYer -

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset. Beautiful. Cost = free. Go eat in Dumbo or sit in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Walk from Manhattan and take the A train back to Manhattan.

The Highline. Downtown park that's on an old railway line. Cost = free, plus several god bars in immediate vicinity

Central Park. Free and beautiful

Restaurants. Would second John's pizza. Frank, on 2nd avenue near Houston has good Italian at reasonable prices. Busy so go early but a great NYC neighborhood place. Mermaid Inn nearby has good happy hour specials and good seafood. Best burger in NYC is Landmarc, in Time Warner Center. Un-Boglehead, my favorite place in NYC is Keane's steakhouse. Worth it.

What else . . . if you're feeling adventurous, take the subway out to Coney Island and see a Cyclones game (minor league baseball, $10 for good seats) and then ride the cyclone if you dare! Get a dog at Nathan's.

Have a great time!
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

check here for free admission times at the various museums, with a week you might be able to make this work.
http://freemuseumday.org/nyc.html
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

Stay in the city. You'll spend a little more, but having a centrally located place to go back to is important.

I prefer midtown/Central Park to Times Square. You still get that Manhattan experience, but it's just greener/prettier/nicer. You'd still be able to walk to Times Square.

#1 on your list should be Central Park.
I also like the American Museum of Natural History. http://www.amnh.org/
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

My husband spent a LOT of nights in Manhattan hotels on consulting trips and he therefore spent a good deal of time and energy researching the best deals (since he was self-employed, he frequently footed the cost himself and even when it was a client-reimbursement situation, he wanted to make sure his clients were not paying excessive amounts.)

One of his favorite places (where I would occasionally join him if I had time to go along) was the UN Millennium Hotel, right across the street from the UN. Amazing views. With 14-day advance reservations, they have some pretty reasonable rates on at least some May days that I randomly checked for you, as low as $161/night. The rooms are very nice and the location is one we felt safe walking around in at night.