HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BOGLEHEADS FORUM

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BOGLEHEADS FORUM

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Everyone:

On February 19th, our forum will celebrate its eighth birthday. Here's a Forbes column I did about this upcoming event. Hope you enjoy reading a bit of forum's history and ponder the amazing statistics.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theboglehea ... rns-eight/
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Norris

Re: Happy Birthday to the Bogleheads.org Forum

Post by Norris »

Thanks, Mel. It's also amazing how fast the eight years has gone by!

Norris
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Great writeup, Mel. And happy birthday to the forum. Those stats are amazing and all who make it possible have done/are doing a wonderful job.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 »

Thanks to all that make this site the very valuable resource it is.

The number of people that have benefitted from this site is enormous.

Bravo.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Bogleheads.org has been very, very good to me.

Don't know what I'd do without it.
Jazzman

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BOGLEHEADS FORUM

Post by Jazzman »

Thank you Mel! Take a bow my friend! I am very appreciative of the tireless work that you and the other bogleheads do to make this forum possible. I'll see you at the the next BH conference.
Jesse
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Jazzman wrote:Thank you Mel! Take a bow my friend! I am very appreciative of the tireless work that you and the other bogleheads do to make this forum possible. I'll see you at the the next BH conference.
Jesse
Thanks, Jesse. Always nice to see your smiling face at our annual Conferences. See you in October!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Happy birthday to the forum and thanks to all who made it possible and keep it that way.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

Norris wrote:Thanks, Mel. It's also amazing how fast the eight years has gone by!

Norris
I agree. Sand in the hourglass. :(
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Mel, a very nice birthday celebration column with those amazing statistics on the success of the site. Happy birthday Bogleheads.org - with many more to come!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
DWD

Post by DWD »

Thanks to all for a great site for investing information!
Dave
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Awesome!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

This is a fantastic site. I'm amazed at how much I've learned, even including a lot of great advise that was not directly related to investing.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

THANKS to all of the original folks (Taylor, Mel etc) that migrated from M*DH and established this gem-of-a-place. 8 years does not seem like that much. I was sure that I have been posting here for 20 years or so. Wrong again. :oops:
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

thanks for that nice summary of the history of the Bogleheads forum.
this is an amazing site.
i would feel lost without it and read many/most of the postings every day and have done so for years.
i am very grateful for those who saw the vision of what this could be and for those who do the daily work to make it happen.
Focus on what you can control
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

How time flies. Happy 8th Birthday, bogleheads.org.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I updated the forum's header - "Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle - Happy Eighth Birthday, Bogleheads!"
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I wasn't sure when the forum moved from the Diehards board, but it has been the best move without a doubt. This site is so much better I can't imagine going back to the other (even though I know some still post over there). Thanks to the brave souls that instituted (and have maintained) the current forum.

Happy birthday!

JT
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Our sister Canadian forum is celebrating their 10th anniversary: Happy 10th birthday FWF

Congrats all around!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Happy Birthday from the Great White North. It may be frigid outside with record cold weather but this place remains a warm refuge for Jack Bogle adherents and devotees.

pkcrafter

Happy Birthday, Bogleheads

Post by pkcrafter »

[Post merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]
:thumbsup February 19 marks the 8th anniversary of the Bogleheads. :sharebeer

Many thanks to Alex Frakt and Larry Auton for creating Bogleheads.org. Also thanks to Taylor Larimore and Mel Lindauer for creating the old Morningstar Diehards in March of 1998.

See history of both Bogleheads and Diehards here:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/The_Bogleheads%C2%AE

Also thanks to the incredible work done by the Wiki workers, most notably, Barry Barnitz who originally proposed the idea. The Wiki was launched on April 9. 2008. The original team consisted of Barry, mikenz, PiperWarrior, simba, David Grabiner, and Ken Swartz. Today we can also say thanks to Lady Geek who has become a tireless Wiki worker. The incredible amount of information that can be found on the Wiki is mind-Bogle-ing

History of the Wiki can be found here:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... ki_history

And did you know Barry and LadyGeek also operate a blog called Financial Page.

https://blbarnitz4.wordpress.com/

In case some are not aware, you do have an opportunity to say thanks in this way: Note the Amazon link in the upper right corner of the forum pages.

Support:

https://www.bogleheads.org/support.php

Note to forum monitors--I am not attempting to promote anything, I just believe forum participants should be aware of this information.
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bylo Selhi wrote:Happy Birthday from the Great White North. It may be frigid outside with record cold weather but this place remains a warm refuge for Jack Bogle adherents and devotees.

And a tip of the hat to you for all your help in getting our forum off the ground, Bylo.

Perhaps we'll meet again at one of our Bogleheads Conferences? This year's event is Oct. 14-16. Hopefully you and some of the others will be able to join us.

Would you be so kind as to quit sending all that bitter cold Canadian weather down our way. I've had enough! :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged pkcrafter's post into here.
pkcrafter wrote:Note to forum monitors--I am not attempting to promote anything, I just believe forum participants should be aware of this information.
Feel free to promote all you want. We started the party early.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Thank you to the creators and maintainers of this wonderful forum!
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Happy Birthday!

Thank you!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

Happy birthday.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting »

From something I had not even heard of a few years ago, it has now become hard to imagine life without the BH forum! A special shout-out to the Wiki, which is a thing of beauty and a work of art. Kudos and gratitude to all. :beer
It's Good To Be A Boglehead
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Happy Birthday! :beer
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I remember the birth of this forum a little different from how it's described in the Forbes article. I thought board member phoenix had a hand in creating the forum that made it possible to move away from Morningstar.

I may be wrong. Happy Birthday!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here's the membership list, sorted in reverse time order: Bogleheads • Members Phoenix is Bogleheads member Number 1.

You've got a good memory. He is indeed the creator of this forum, documented in his "farewell thread": Bon voyage
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Dutch wrote:I remember the birth of this forum a little different from how it's described in the Forbes article. I thought board member phoenix had a hand in creating the forum that made it possible to move away from Morningstar.

I may be wrong. Happy Birthday!
Yes, Phoenix actually set up the forum portion and then turned it over to us. It was meant to be a joke to show M* how easy it was (at that time M* was talking about updating their forum's software). Phoenix then asked me if we wanted to take it over. I contacted Alex and Larry about doing so. We merged it with the already-existing (since 2005, IIRC) bogleheads.org which used to be a front end index for the old M* Vanguard Diehards forum. For a while, we indexed both forums' posts side-by-side, but eventually as traffic picked up here and died out on M*, we made the break.