What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek »

Continuing from the previous page:
Deep Thoughts wrote:...Matjen, I WAS giving it a rest. I also think that I have consistently kept trying to discuss the movie and the book that the movie was based on ....
This thread although it is on a financial forum is dedicated to movies and reviews of those movies that we have recently watched. I gave the movie a bad review for what I think is it's moral ambiguity. Others have expressed their disagreement with that view.
Please stay on-topic, which is a movie review. Both points have been made, let's stop the Michael Moore discussion here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Saw American Sniper again. It's a very inspiring movie for patriotic Americans. Glad to see it is destroying the competition at the box office. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Last edited by Non7WoodUser on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

Watched the American Sniper. Not sure if it's an anti-war or pro-war movie. That's how good Clint Eastwood made this movie, that it is actually amenable to opposing interpretations (and therefore watchable by people of opposing political stripes) while remaining somewhat coherent. Seems to me to be more on the anti-war camp. Was Chris Kyle simply a metaphor for macho US interventionist foreign policy that will ultimately be undone by its own hubris? The fact Kyle was killed by a fellow veteran with PTSD he was trying to help (fulfilling his idea of himself as sheepdog) while in a Texas shooting range (and not in Iraq by Al Qaeda militants) is an ironic twist that fortuitously supports this interpretation. Anyway, this is just amateur film analysis for fun, no need for anyone to get wound up about this.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

A-Commoner wrote:Watched the American Sniper. Not sure if it's an anti-war or pro-war movie. That's how good Clint Eastwood made this movie, that it is actually amenable to opposing interpretations (and therefore watchable by people of opposing political stripes) while remaining somewhat coherent. Seems to me to be more on the anti-war camp. Was Chris Kyle simply a metaphor for macho US interventionist foreign policy that will ultimately be undone by its own hubris? The fact Kyle was killed by a fellow veteran with PTSD he was trying to help (fulfilling his idea of himself as sheepdog) while in a Texas shooting range (and not in Iraq by Al Qaeda militants) is an ironic twist that fortuitously supports this interpretation. Anyway, this is just amateur film analysis for fun, no need for anyone to get wound up about this.
Dude, your post needs a SPOILER ALERT at the beginning. Good job ruining the ending for anyone who hasn't seen the movie or doesn't know the story.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I went to see Zero Motivation at my local theater, an Israeli film about female Israeli soldiers at a remote desert base biding their time until they can return to civilian life.

IDF misfits deal with military bureaucracy, as IDF officers try to deal with IDF misfits. It's a funny, absurd, and irreverent look at military life in Israel or military life in general, speaking as a vet.
Gordon
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Watched Philamenia last night on Showtime...absolutely a great movie.

Ed
market timer

Post by market timer »

Saw American Sniper. I'm not really a fan of war movies, and anti-heroes are more interesting to me than heroes. Still, this was entertaining, and a better shoot-em-up than John Wick. I wasn't familiar with Chris Kyle's story. Going to see Imitation Game later tonight. Have higher hopes for that one.
Exuberent

Post by Exuberent »

Watched The Name of the Rose last night - an oldie but goodie featuring Sean Connery.
gl

Post by gl »

Really enjoyed "Ida" last night. Much more went on in the movie than what I anticipated, from the brief summary of the plotline. Of course, there is little "action-"if that is what you are looking for.

Haven't seen most of the Oscar films yet, but my faves (sci-fi and family dramas/dysfunctions, typically) from 2014 currently also include:

Snowpiercer
Edge of Tomorrow
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
Hunger Games (Mockingjay)
Housebound
Joe
Chef
Lucy

Looking forward to seeing Boyhood, The Hobbit, and Dear White People from 2014, the most, yet.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Watched Boyhood last night and was spellbound. Really an incredible piece of moviemaking.
fatlever

Post by fatlever »

A-Commoner wrote:Watched the American Sniper. Not sure if it's an anti-war or pro-war movie. That's how good Clint Eastwood made this movie, that it is actually amenable to opposing interpretations (and therefore watchable by people of opposing political stripes) while remaining somewhat coherent. Seems to me to be more on the anti-war camp. Was Chris Kyle simply a metaphor for macho US interventionist foreign policy that will ultimately be undone by its own hubris? The fact Kyle was killed by a fellow veteran with PTSD he was trying to help (fulfilling his idea of himself as sheepdog) while in a Texas shooting range (and not in Iraq by Al Qaeda militants) is an ironic twist that fortuitously supports this interpretation. Anyway, this is just amateur film analysis for fun, no need for anyone to get wound up about this.
:oops: thanks for spoiling a movie that's out in theaters that many are planning to see.

I've flagged the post and asked mods to delete so it isn't spoiled for others
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

Fatlever,
Chris Kyle was a real person who has already died. You didn't have to watch the movie to know that. I even recall reading about it in the news it when it happened. There is nothing in my post that could have spoiled the movie for you. No plot details were mentioned, just my general impressions of the movie. If you can point out elements in my post you consider to be a "spoiler", feel free to do so. Have a nice day.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

fatlever wrote:I've flagged the post and asked mods to delete so it isn't spoiled for others
It will not be deleted. A "spoiler" is an editorial opinion. Moderators must remain unbiased and do not make editorial changes.

If anyone has any further comments on the roles of a moderator, please PM me.

Remember that we allow members to edit their own posts. If anything gets out of hand, then I step in. :wink:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser »

Maze Runner. No where near the quality of The Hunger Games. Recommend avoiding it.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

A-Commoner wrote:Fatlever,
Chris Kyle was a real person who has already died. You didn't have to watch the movie to know that. I even recall reading about it in the news it when it happened. There is nothing in my post that could have spoiled the movie for you. No plot details were mentioned, just my general impressions of the movie. If you can point out elements in my post you consider to be a "spoiler", feel free to do so. Have a nice day.
i haven't seen the movie. i don't anything about the movie other that the ads on tv. if you posted that the protagonist dies in the end then yeah, thats a spoiler. and you really should delete your post. imo of course.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

A-Commoner wrote:Fatlever,
I would say that although his death and cause of death is known by many, it is not known by all. I wasn't going to see the movie but didn't know until DW and I were discussing it last night, that he was dead or that he met his death at the hands of a fellow vet with PTSD. Given the reaction of others, I might consider editing that portion of my post if I were you. But by all means, you should do as think best.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
ripete

Post by ripete »

Saw a few movies over the past few weeks:

Birdman
The Theory of Everything
American Sniper
Wild
Unbroken

Here are the reviews:
BIRDMAN: what the heck was that all about? Now, maybe in 5 years, I'll say 'wow that was just a great movie, but I just didn't get it at the time.' Unfortunately, now is 'at the time' and I just don't get it.
And they won a SAG award last night. Sounds like actors recognizing the travails of other actors and congratulating themselves for its accurate portrayal. Not so much for an outsider.

WILD: ho hum. Acting wasn't so hot. Story line wasn't compelling, as it was portrayed, and although I understand the real life story behind it, the movie just didn't seem to 'make me not want to put the book down', if you know what I mean.

UNBROKEN: Again, a compelling life story that just didn't seem to measure up on screen. Lots of scenes just didn't seem to have the emotional capture that other movies I've seen over the years have had for me. Tepid presentation of truly harrowing real life adventure.

AMERICAN SNIPER: true story which keeps viewer on edge and involved in story. feeling for Kyle, pulling for him all along. Although knowing the ending, doesn't take away at all from the movie.

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING: top presentation of those listed here. Riveting performances. Incredible acting by Redmayne and really feel the predicament of spouse as acted by Felicity Jones.
Again, fact that it's a true story here and acting trumps the other movies. Read more after seeing the movie and was further surprised at life's turns. Won't say any more. See the movie. Read about protaganists after on the web.

Still want to see:
The Imitation Game
On the maybe list: Boyhood ( I remember coming across Ethan Hawke in Before Sunrise, then saw the other two movies---they just struck a chord....)
The Julianne Moore movie about Alzheimer's
The Jennifer Aniston movie.
So, maybe 3 or 4 movies to see before Oscar time!
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

Bradley Cooper (who starred in and produced American Sniper) in interviews with the media promoting the movie does not hide the fact of Kyle's death. This may be because his death is already public knowledge and knowing it does not diminish the power of the movie which I actually like. The movie was a biography of the protagonist, starting from childhood to his death. It's no different than knowing that Abe Lincoln dies in the end of the movie "Lincoln" or that bin Laden dies at the end of "Zero Dark Thirty". I still watched those movies since I was interested in the details.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Watched Imitation Game last night. I was not aware of Turing's contributions to WW2, and found it a very interesting piece of history. A gripe I had with the story is that the eureka moment did not require much brilliance, and should have been obvious very early. I would have preferred the film to show us Turing's brilliance by getting into some of the details of his early computer and decryption technology, rather than tell us about his brilliance and make him an Asperger's caricature, which apparently he wasn't in real life. Still need to see a couple more Best Picture nominees, but my favorite movie so far from 2014 was actually Gone Girl (not nominated).
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Saw American Sniper and thought it was very well made; Bradley Cooper was excellent. I viewed it as a movie, not a documentary ie the specifics of Chris Kyle's personal life and career were certainly tweaked to produce a work of entertainment and Clint Eastwood made a helluva nail biter of a film. As an Army brat myself I have deep empathy for both soldiers and their families and this movie certainly tugged those heartstrings. As for the spoiler, Kyle's demise was widely and heavily discussed both when it happened and, within the past couple of weeks even NBC did a multi part re-airing of interviews with him that prominently mentioned when and how he died.

The Imitation Game was a great film, Benedict Cumberbatch was superb. My twentysomething daughter was astounded at the discimination and persecution that gay people faced only a few decades ago; social mores have changed astonishingly quickly on that issue.

Wild didn't quite move me the way the book had, however having lost my own mother at roughly the same age as the author my objectivity is nonexistent on this topic. Reese Witherspoon perhaps deserves kudos if only for playing a character easily 10-15 years younger than she actually is in real life.
VesperLynd

Post by VesperLynd »

The Runway...via Netflix. An adorable movie, made in a way that movies are no longer made...so that makes it special to me...

Based very loosely on the true story of a South American pilot who crash lands in Ireland and ends up staying long enough to get back in the air.

VL
SoySauceMagic

Post by SoySauceMagic »

Just watched Dark Knight Rises again. Ah, how I wished they developed Bane's character better...
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

Cinderella Man
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Rob the Mob, interesting true story.
CrowTRobot

Post by CrowTRobot »

Petrocelli wrote:I just watched Glen or Glenda, a 1950s movie by, and starring, the infamous Ed Wood, that examines transvestism. It is perhaps the worst movie ever made. It is so bad, it is good.
If you get a chance, check out "Plan 9 From Outer Space". It's also an Ed Wood movie and has won awards for being the 'Worst Movie Ever Made'. But, as you put it, it is so bad, it is good.....In some of the scenes, you - literally - can see the strings holding up the flying saucers.

EDIT: I also think it's considered Bela Lugosi's last movie - he died during the filming (this is from memory, so...) so Wood just used a few of his clips (some repetitively), then used a stand-in (which was so NOT Lugosi, I didn't even realize it was suppose to be his character until later) for a couple of scenes.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

Saw American Sniper yesterday. I found it interesting and like Saving Private Ryan a movie to see at least once.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

CrowTRobot wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:I just watched Glen or Glenda, a 1950s movie by, and starring, the infamous Ed Wood, that examines transvestism. It is perhaps the worst movie ever made. It is so bad, it is good.
If you get a chance, check out "Plan 9 From Outer Space". It's also an Ed Wood movie and has won awards for being the 'Worst Movie Ever Made'. But, as you put it, it is so bad, it is good.....In some of the scenes, you - literally - can see the strings holding up the flying saucers.

EDIT: I also think it's considered Bela Lugosi's last movie - he died during the filming (this is from memory, so...) so Wood just used a few of his clips (some repetitively), then used a stand-in (which was so NOT Lugosi, I didn't even realize it was suppose to be his character until later) for a couple of scenes.
I greatly enjoyed both of those movies. For me there is more to them than simply being so bad they're good. There is a sincerity in them that shines through. You can just tell that the people involved (Ed Wood and the actors) really were doing their best and really believed in the project.

There is a 1994 Tim Burton / Johnny Depp movie called, simply, Ed Wood that is a fictionalized documentary covering the making of these movies. I also found that quite interesting and well done.

And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future! -- Criswell narrating Plan 9.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
CrowTRobot

Post by CrowTRobot »

bertilak wrote:
CrowTRobot wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:I just watched Glen or Glenda.
"Plan 9 From Outer Space".
I greatly enjoyed both of those movies. For me there is more to them than simply being so bad they're good. There is a sincerity in them that shines through. You can just tell that the people involved (Ed Wood and the actors) really were doing their best and really believed in the project.

There is a 1994 Tim Burton / Johnny Depp movie called, simply, Ed Wood that is a fictionalized documentary covering the making of these movies. I also found that quite interesting and well done.

And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future! -- Criswell narrating Plan 9.
+1
No doubt, the sincerity is there. And as was once said (paraphrasing) "I would call him a success. His dream was to go to Hollywood and make movies; and at the end of everyone of his movies are the words, 'Made in Hollywood'"

EDIT: Ohhhh Criswell. "My friends..."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Jack Ryan. Excellent movie on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

Watched American SNiper today. Very moving!
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I saw Selma this weekend. A truly great movie on every level. Highly recommended.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
telemark

Post by telemark »

Picked up a DVD of The Princess Bride and watched it tonight. Not as layered as the book but just as much fun.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

The last several days I have watched the following films on Netflix:

Ida (I saw this when it first came out last year.)

History of the Eagles (This authorized documentary on the country rock group orginally aired in 2013 in two parts on Showtime. In addition to interviews with band members and archival footage of concert performances, it also includes interviews with Irving Azoff, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, and others.)

Mrs. Brown (This is the story of the bereaved Queen Victoria and her relationship with a Scottish servant, John Brown, following the death of Prince Albert. The relationship caused an uproar inside and outside the court. I found this movie particularly interesting since I had read Jane Ridley's recent biography of King Edward VIII.)

Johnny Carson: King of Late Night (Originally aired on PBS in 2012 as part of its American Masters series. Narrated, unobtrusively, by Kevin Spacey. Features original interviews with family, friends, and colleagues of Carson.)
Gordon
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

A Most Violent Year: Kind of a slow burn of a movie with a first rate performance by Oscar Isaac as a man fully committed to his own way of running his business. Seeing him take on the various stressors and remain unwavering in his plan was a cool character study. Jessica Chastain got the Oscar nomination, but Isaac was really fantastic.

The Defiant Ones: 1958, Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis as two escaped prisoners chained together. Maybe kind of groundbreaking for 1958 in its straightforward confrontation of racial issues, but there's also a subtext of criticism of McCarthyism that is worth watching it for, too. Stanley Kramer directed. This was really a very good movie, maybe should be the attention of more prestige.
chaz

Post by chaz »

The Imitation Game. Ben Cumberbatch is excellent.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
thenextguy

Post by thenextguy »

A-Commoner wrote: It's no different than knowing that Abe Lincoln dies in the end of the movie "Lincoln"
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Spoiler alert!

I was gonna watch that tonight! :oops:
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

telemark wrote:Picked up a DVD of The Princess Bride and watched it tonight. Not as layered as the book but just as much fun.
I have seen the movie (own the DVD) and have read the book (own that too). They are both great. Which is beter? Well, the book is better for reading and the movie is better for watching! The movie is one of those rarities where everything, and I mean absolutely everything, came together perfectly. It is just a gem. And it works for all ages.

William Goldman wrote both the book and the screenplay so the two are quite compatible. Well, if you believe Goldman he didn't write it. It is forgotten masterpiece written by one Morgenstern. Goldman discovered it and abridged it for the modern reader by leaving out all the uninteresting parts including the heavy scholarship. Goldman's introductions to the 25th and 30th anniversary editions discuss this process and how it continued into the making of the movie, including the movie's legal problems with the Morgenstern estate! (Talk about "layered!")
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

The latest movies this weekend:

Mr. Turner
Jersey Boys

11 films in January.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

I saw 4 movies over the last week, after being out of the country for more than 6 and not watching anything.

The 3rd Hobbit movie . Caught this the last day it was showing in IMAX HFR at Metreon. I love Tolkien, but this really dragged on.
It shouldn't have been 3 movies. As I recall from reading the book in my childhood, it ends pretty quickly after the dragon is killed. But this movie starts with that.

American Sniper .
This is a well made movie, but the movie really lacks historical context about the war, IMO.

Selma :
Highly recommended .

Still Alice : this is a movie about Alzheimer's. For anyone who has had a family member affected, this is a must see. And perhaps for anyone who hasn't, either.
I can relate - my grandmother just passed away after 15 years with Alzheimer's - but this is not what killed her, a throat cancer that started 6 months before is what did her in at 91. In the movie there is a line by Julianne Moore that "at least I don't have cancer". I guess reality is stranger than fiction, since in reality it can be both.
The movie is very good, but it lacks a proper ending, IMO. But the acting is top notch. I hope Julianne Moore wins the oscar for best actress.
davebarnes

Paddington

Post by davebarnes »

Paddington.
Very good.
Fun.
Recommended.
A nerd living in Denver
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

White Rabbit - an independent film made on micro-budget ("the cost of a car") about a female soldier who was honorably discharged from the Army, including three tours of duty in Iraq, and who is trying to find her place in the civilian life. A suspense film noir. I recommend it, if you can find it.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

Of the new movies

American Sniper - Great movie - Bradley Cooper deserves the Oscar ! Clint Eastwood also but I do not think he will get it.

Boyhood - Great movie, particularly if you were ever a stepfather - gives you a unique view. I hope Richard Linklater wins the Oscar for his 12 years journey in making the film. I do not understand why Patricia Arquette or Ethan Hawke were nominated. Performances good but nothing special in my opinion.

The Imitation Game - Good movie on Turing, Keira Knightley was outstanding.

Older movies that I really enjoyed that do not get enough recognition. These all kept me entertained.

The Prestige
Memento
Now You See Me
Last edited by stickman731 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

A-Commoner wrote:It's no different than knowing [about other true-life figures]
I would argue that fate of Lincoln and Bin Laden falls under the category of "common knowledge" (as in "is taught in history books"), whereas the fate of Chris Kyle does not. So yeah, it's different enough to at least merit the common courtesy of a spoiler alert.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I saw "The Imitation Game" this past weekend and enjoyed it tremendously. Being a computer geek, I love seeing Turing get his due.

Shame about the inaccuracies, though. Seems like all biopics take liberties to jazz things up, unfortunately.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I just watched a documentary entitled Art and Craft. It was fascinating in every way. I rented it on Amazon Prime for $3.99.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
black jack

Post by black jack »

Watched "Olympus Has Fallen" (aka "Die Hard in the White House") on Netflix.

It was pretty entertaining - didn't move quite fast enough to entirely distract from a few illogical script moments, but Gerard Butler was good as the indestructible hero.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Boyhood. Very disappointed. I had such high hopes for this film!
sans souliers

Post by sans souliers »

The Theory of Everything -- Eddie Redmayne was an inspired casting for his role as Stephen Hawking. (EDIT -- Oscar for Best Actor)

Still Alice - Julianne Moore sinks quietly and desperately into the dementia of Alzheimer's supported by her family.
There is no greater tragedy. Moore nailed it. (EDIT -- Oscar for Best Actress)
Last edited by sans souliers on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Saw Birdman in the theater last night. Keaton was incredible.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Van

Post by Van »

Foxcatcher; Big Eyes; The Imitation Game.

Foxcatcher is very good, but The Imitation Game was a little better. Big Eyes is OK.

Oh yea, Birdman too. My wife liked it, and I didn't think it was all that great.

In order of best to not as good: The Imitation Game, Foxcatcher, Big Eyes = Birdman.
seeshells

Post by seeshells »

The Bank, released in 01
Last edited by seeshells on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.