Fidelity funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
hockey71

Fidelity funds

Post by hockey71 »

My company has just transitioned from Hartford to Fidelity. I have ~ 100k to invest. Sounds like the Spartan funds offer the lowest cost, so I was looking there 1st.
Four Spartan Funds are offered All are Fidelity Advantage class.
1. Spartan 500 Index fund(FUSVX)
2. Spartan Extended Market Index Fund(FSEVX)
3. Spartan Global ex U.S Index Fund(FSGDX)
4. Spartan Small Cap Index Fund(FSSVX)

**There is also a Morgan Stanley Institutional Global Strategist Portfolio Class(MPBAX)** I am not sure how the costs of managing these funds compares to the aforementioned Spartan funds?

I have about 350k in separate investments with Edward Jones. I max a Roth yearly for both my wife and I. I max a family HSA account as well.
I have about 265k in home equity----Still owe 13 yrs on a 15 yr fixed loan at 2.75%(about 215k remaining on mortgage).
43 years old(married). Combined income ~ $170k/year.
Two kids age 9,11 to put through college at some point.
About 25k in interest-free debt, but no other debt to speak of.
I am comfortable with moderate risk category appropiate for my age.

Not looking for short-term gains here. Rather something steady and low-cost.

Regards-
Guy
:moneybag :happy :dollar
Last edited by hockey71 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carl262

Re: Fidelity funds

Post by Carl262 »

With the current market...
...for the time being
Those are dangerous words. Pick an asset allocation you're comfortable with through ups AND downs and stick with it.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I've been pleased with the 500
sdrone

Post by sdrone »

There are also about 70 ishares ETFs you can buy free. E.g. AGG, ITOT, and IXUS
Postmon

Post by Postmon »

hockey71 wrote:Which would you recommend?
It's tough to make recommendations without knowing your entire situation. Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212
evilityb

Post by evilityb »

hockey71 wrote:My company has just transitioned from Hartford to Fidelity. I have ~ 100k to invest. Sounds like the Spartan funds offer the lowest cost.
Four Spartan Funds are offered All are Fidelity Advantage class…………...Which would you recommend?
1. Spartan 500 Index fund
2. Spartan Extended Market Index Fund
3. Spartan Global ex U.S Index Fund
4. Spartan Small Cap Index Fund
Could you post the ticket symbols for each of those so we are sure we're talking about the same funds?

Also, is $100k your entire portfolio? What's your desired asset allocation? Following this format will be helpful for readers: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=6212

You seem to be trying to time the market, judging by phrases like "with the current market" and "for the time being," as Carl262 pointed out. Don't worry about the current market, pick an allocation and stay the course. I'm not sure why you want all U.S. funds, but your international exposure is up to you. Most people on this forum likely hold at least some international, as it's good for diversity.
She/her | Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need - Ben Harper