Cheapest Way to Watch Netflix

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Allan12

Cheapest Way to Watch Netflix

Post by Allan12 »

I have an LCD flat screen tv (non-smart/internet) that I would like to view Netflix on.

I am wondering what's the cheapest way to add the capabilities to watch netflix on this tv.

Is there a cable that I can run to hook up my ipad to tv and control from my ipad? I know I can get netflix with Apple TV, but don't want to spend $100,

I'm also looking for a rather user friendly way too.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A
Leeraar

Re: Cheapest Way to Watch Netflix

Post by Leeraar »

Try a Roku, if you have wireless in your house. Simple to use, works great. Has other options besides Netflix.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

I think this would be the cheapest solution since you have the iPad to control it:
http://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

If you have an open HDMI input and suitable wifi, buy an Amazon Fire TV stick (normally $39).

ETA: I like Roku also, but this is cheaper.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
Allan12

Post by Allan12 »

Have very good wifi in the house, watch netflix constantly on my smart tv located in a different room.

How would I find out if I have open hdmi input?
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

If you have an android tablet or smart phone get a Chromecast, should be about $25-$30 and you can pick them up at Best Buy or online. The Android Tablet or Phone acts as the remote control but the Chromecast opens the network connections so it doesn't drain your device's battery.

Otherwise a Roku Stick or Fire Stick are also good choices, the best interface is Apple TV but it also is the most expensive at 2.5 times the cost of a Chromecast and twice what a Roku Stick will cost.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

Look on the back, you should have slots named HDMI 1, HDMI 2, and you may have an HDMI 3 on the side. A cable box / sat, and blu-ray player will each consume a HDMI port. If you don't have any open HDMI ports you can get an HDMI switch from newegg or even walmart that gives you more ports so you don't have to plug / unplug cables.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Allan12 wrote:Have very good wifi in the house, watch netflix constantly on my smart tv located in a different room.

Look at all the holes on your TV that you can plug things into. Look for one that says "HDMI" on it. If there's nothing plugged into it, you have an open HDMI input.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

I use my Blu-ray player to stream wirelessly. Works well.
Topic Author
Allan12

Post by Allan12 »

toto238 wrote:
Allan12 wrote:Have very good wifi in the house, watch netflix constantly on my smart tv located in a different room.

Look at all the holes on your TV that you can plug things into. Look for one that says "HDMI" on it. If there's nothing plugged into it, you have an open HDMI input.

I feel really stupid...thought open hdmi referred to software that the tv may have not the simple hdmi inputs.

Thanks for the help everyone, on my way to bestbuy to pick one up. $29.99
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Quickfoot wrote:Otherwise a Roku Stick or Fire Stick are also good choices, the best interface is Apple TV but it also is the most expensive at 2.5 times the cost of a Chromecast and twice what a Roku Stick will cost.
I have Apple TV, which works well, but doesn't connect to Amazon. Its major advantage (before I started using Unlocator.com) is that it bypassed the Netflix/Verizon p***ing contest of a few months back.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Allan12 wrote:I feel really stupid...thought open hdmi referred to software that the tv may have not the simple hdmi inputs.
Partly my fault; I could have said available HDMI port and made it easier :D
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Allan12 wrote: I feel really stupid...
Happens to me regularly on this forum, which is why it's one of my favorites. I have no desire to be the smartest guy in the room.

Cheapest way to watch Netflix is on a TV with wireless capability or get a Google Chromecast if you have a TV with HDMI input that isn't internet friendly..
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Allan12 wrote:
toto238 wrote:

I feel really stupid...thought open hdmi referred to software that the tv may have not the simple hdmi inputs.

Thanks for the help everyone, on my way to bestbuy to pick one up. $29.99
I do apologize if my comment made you feel stupid. Certainly not my intention. But I'm glad we found a solution.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

anonenigma wrote:I use my Blu-ray player to stream wirelessly. Works well.
I use a Blu-ray player for Netflix too. Bought a Sony, very happy with it.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

Chromecast works very well.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

I have Apple TV, which works well, but doesn't connect to Amazon. Its major advantage (before I started using Unlocator.com) is that it bypassed the Netflix/Verizon p***ing contest of a few months back.
I agree, I have Apple TV, Roku, and XBox, and a Chromecast. Apple TV is by far the most responsive and intuitive design (and I HATE apple) but they do lock you into Netflix, Hulu and iTunes, while I prefer open systems my wife prefer's Apple TV's interface :). Google's TV device looks interesting but I haven't had a chance to try it.
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

Google Chromecast for ~ $40.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

I'd go with a Chromecast as well. You can control it from your Ipad, and it will also allow you to cast other apps as well.(HBO Go, WatchESPN, etc.) I have both it and an Amazon Fire Stick, but I've used the Chromecast a lot more.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Cheapest is probably Chromecast, but you need a tablet/phone to control.

Fire Stick will will work with their remote. Might be able to cast as well.

Don't overlook PS3, Wii or XBOX if you already have a device that will support Netflix.

Older/Used Roku boxes are also cheap.
mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz »

Cheapest way to watch netflix is for free. Do any friends or family already have an account? You can legally share your account to multiple devices. It is part of the subscription.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Connect your laptop with the tv. All you need the is appropriate cable.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/lapto ... p-tv-hdmi/
communipaw

Post by communipaw »

If you already have a wifi signal in your house/apartment, I'd recommend the cheapest Roku at $49. It's very simple to use, handles Netflix [and many many other services. I've used it for 3 years and have been very happy with it.
GottaGetThisGoing

Post by GottaGetThisGoing »

The cheapest way to watch netflix is out of your existing computer. If your laptop has HDMI as well as your TV, plug the cable in and go. Else, but a cheap adapter from VGA to whatever adapter your tv has.

Yes, Roku, Fire, Chromecast are all cheap, but not as cheap as using something you already have!
segfault

Post by segfault »

mathwhiz wrote:Cheapest way to watch netflix is for free. Do any friends or family already have an account? You can legally share your account to multiple devices. It is part of the subscription.
Hahaha, that was my exact thought when I saw the thread title. I was worried about the subscription cost (~$100/year) rather than the cost of the device used to play it.

If we're talking about devices:
- Your existing computer, tablet, or cell phone may have an HDMI output. If so, you can connect it to the TV with a cheap HDMI cable. Or just watch it on the portable device.
- I have and like the Chromecast.
- I also have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player with Netflix capability.
- AppleTV is also a possibility, although more expensive than a lot of other devices. I bought and returned one. I have a slower Internet connection and I was not happy with the way the AppleTV streamed over the slower connection compared to other devices.

If we're talking about the account:
- Sharing with friends/family, although Netflix now has streaming tiers which will cap the number of simultaneous streams. I'm not sure whether this complies with their terms of service.
- Personally, I pay for a month or two at a time, watch what I want, and cancel the subscription. It's cheap entertainment, but they make it easy to cancel when you reach the point that there's nothing to watch.
- I have seen blog/forum posts about how to obtain multiple free trial periods, with Netflix as well as other subscription services. Ethically, this is questionable. Even ignoring that concern, the methods I have seen described look like a lot of headache for the potential to save a couple of bucks.
tavore

Post by tavore »

I just bought myself a refurbished Roku stick for the same price as Chromecast from Amazon. Don't overlook the option of getting it for cheap as refurbished, or used from Amazon Warehouse deals, or from Craigslist.
The529guy

Post by The529guy »

I love my Chromecast! Currently $29.99 on Amazon (support the forum!).
Topic Author
Allan12

Post by Allan12 »

The529guy wrote:I love my Chromecast! Currently $29.99 on Amazon (support the forum!).
Turns out I price matched in BestBuy for $29.99.

Thanks for all the help everyone!