White Coat Investor in Forbes

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
LeeMKE

White Coat Investor in Forbes

Post by LeeMKE »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasha ... atic-oath/

One of our own, White Coat Investor, is profiled in Forbes next week. Available online now.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
gardemanger

Re: White Coat Investor in Forbes

Post by gardemanger »

Nice article, great photo! Congrats!
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

Well deserved recognition for the doctor's great website! I'm also grateful for his helpful posts here on the Forum. Congratulations to EmergDoc & family.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Do doctors ever have their photograph taken without a stethoscope?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Toons

Post by Toons »

patriciamgr2 wrote:Well deserved recognition for the doctor's great website! I'm also grateful for his helpful posts here on the Forum. Congratulations to EmergDoc & family.

+3 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thank you.

Thanks Shipmate Lee for the link, good article. Have a Merry Christmas.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
tfb

Post by tfb »

gardemanger wrote:Nice article, great photo! Congrats!
+10
Harry Sit has left the forums.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

livesoft wrote:Do doctors ever have their photograph taken without a stethoscope?
yes, some do.
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

Good deal. Keep up the good work, Jim.
Don't reach for yield.
Dario33

Post by Dario33 »

Congrats. Regular visitor of the blog here as well. Nice work! 8-)
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

:sharebeer
All the Best, | Joe
LowER

Post by LowER »

Strong work Jim! I really appreciate the after hours advice and the fact that you may be the turning point for financially-ignorant young (and not-so-young) physicians to actually survive the stranglehold they feel - unprecedented student loan burden and unfavorable loan regulations and relatively not so great income after waiting to 30+ years to start earning. (Let the non-Md flaming begin but you might want to wait a few more years to see where the cow chips fall).

Living and investing frugally will be the only way for new physicians to thrive - and so many will owe so much to you. Whether they know it or not, yet....
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

Well done.

I don't think I will ever have the courage to show my face in public. I have written a lot of financial and personal details over the last few years here and at ER.org.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

obgyn65 wrote:Well done.

I don't think I will ever have the courage to show my face in public. I have written a lot of financial and personal details over the last few years here and at ER.org.

Are you like the phantom from the opera? Do you wear a mask when working?

Seriously though, good pic and nice little article on Forbes for one of our own.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

EmergDoc has done something impressive with his blog and website and book. Well deserved kudos to him. To put it in perspective, he probably gets more "hits" and attention nowadays than many of the long-time financial journalists. It is even likely that EmergDoc's work is decreasing the profits of many financial advisory firms which I think is a good thing.

Does anybody else see him as a young Wiliam Bernstein? Has EmergDoc been asked to become a consultant for any FA firms? What does the future hold?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Congratulations and good advice as usual.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Nice!
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I did not express myself well, apologies. What I meant is that I would not have the courage to talk to the media and give away my real identity, simply because I have posted a lot of information about myself over the last couple of years.
ofcmetz wrote:

Seriously though, good pic and nice little article on Forbes for one of our own.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
More Please

Post by More Please »

Excellent, well done!
CuteClassyCleverChic

Post by CuteClassyCleverChic »

Congrats, emergdoc!

You are a positive energy in this world :D
My username is what I try daily to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

livesoft wrote:Do doctors ever have their photograph taken without a stethoscope?
No. Jim Dahle

(Congrats, EmergDoc!)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

obgyn65 wrote:I did not express myself well, apologies. What I meant is that I would not have the courage to talk to the media and give away my real identity, simply because I have posted a lot of information about myself over the last couple of years.
ofcmetz wrote:

Ya, sorry. I knew what you meant, but was in the mood to have a bit of fun. :share beer

A few of my friends know that I post here and know my name and pic. I wouldn't want to be public for the simple fact that my employer would have an issue with it I'm sure. For most of us it is smart to keep our pics and names a secret.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

He has done a great job. Wishing him and his site continued success.

I'm sure several industries however hate his guts and don't feel the same way I do.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Shortly after joining the Bogleheads, Taylor suggested I use my real name, but I was hesitant to give up my anonymity like many of you are. Once I started my website, however, using your real name gives a heck of a lot more credibility, and also allows readers to get to know me a bit, which frankly is good for marketing, spreading the "brand" and getting writing/speaking gigs. I spent a lot of time deciding whether or not to be anonymous any more, but deciding it was worth it to give it up, both credibility and marketing wise. Thus far, it's paying off well. I think you'll find the same is true for Mike Piper, Harry Sit, Larry Swedroe, Taylor Larimore, Rick Ferri, William Bernstein etc etc etc. For the same reason, I changed my avatar on Bogleheads a year ago, and will probably change the name from EmergDoc to The White Coat Investor at some point. I guess I'm not as much of a saint as Jack or Rick Van Ness. I do enjoy helping people, but I spend way too much time doing this stuff to not at least make a little money on it.

I also don't think there is much anonymity available anywhere anymore. I believe I could find just about any doctor in the US within 72 hours if I really wanted to (and have demonstrated that to other readers who were concerned about my lack of anonymity-I sent them pictures of them, their workplace, and sometimes their home that are available on the internet). You do what you can, but much of it is simply public information thanks to state medical boards and doctor rating sites. Combine that with a simple ability to use Google and Google maps and images and there you go.

As far as the stethoscope picture, yes, I know it's cheesy. It's from a photo shoot that was used for another publication and the publication REQUIRED the stethoscope. Not my choice. My preferred pictures usually involve wet suits, harnesses etc, like this one:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/wp-content ... -Creek.jpg

As you can imagine, I'm sure Forbes wasn't very interested in pictures like that.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Leif

Post by Leif »

EmergDoc wrote: Shortly after joining the Bogleheads, Taylor suggested I use my real name, but I was hesitant to give up my anonymity like many of you are. Once I started my website, however, using your real name gives a heck of a lot more credibility, and also allows readers to get to know me a bit, which frankly is good for marketing, spreading the "brand" and getting writing/speaking gigs.
So when is the big reveal?
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thanks for the photo.

Thanks shipmate Emerg Doc for the photo, looks like one of my favorite places close to my home in St George (Zion National Park).
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
FinancialDave

Post by FinancialDave »

James,

Well done!

Big time baby!

:sharebeer
I love simulated data. It turns the impossible into the possible!
White Coat Investor

Leif wrote:
EmergDoc wrote: Shortly after joining the Bogleheads, Taylor suggested I use my real name, but I was hesitant to give up my anonymity like many of you are. Once I started my website, however, using your real name gives a heck of a lot more credibility, and also allows readers to get to know me a bit, which frankly is good for marketing, spreading the "brand" and getting writing/speaking gigs.
So when is the big reveal?
Almost 4 years ago:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/about/
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Congrats!
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Taylor Larimore

Anonymous usernames ?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Jim:
Shortly after joining the Bogleheads, Taylor suggested I use my real name, but I was hesitant to give up my anonymity like many of you are. Once I started my website, however, using your real name gives a heck of a lot more credibility, and also allows readers to get to know me a bit.
Jim:

I recall in 1998 when I first began posting on the Morningstar forums, and had to decide if I should post anonymously. Inasmuch as I strongly believe that every person should be willing to stand behind their words (and a handshake), I choose to reveal my identity. It has never been a problem. To the contrary, I hope it gives my posts credibility, but equally important, I have met some wonderful people here and elsewhere because they knew my real name.
My preferred pictures usually involve wet suits, harnesses etc, like this one:

Wow! What a great picture!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

EmergDoc wrote:...As far as the stethoscope picture, yes, I know it's cheesy. It's from a photo shoot that was used for another publication and the publication REQUIRED the stethoscope. Not my choice. My preferred pictures usually involve wet suits, harnesses etc, like this one:

As you can imagine, I'm sure Forbes wasn't very interested in pictures like that.
There is no such restriction for the wiki. If you want your stethoscope replaced with climbing gear, let me know. Jim Dahle

(It needs a bit of cropping, which I'll do before inserting into the wiki.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
White Coat Investor

Either is fine with me. The goofy stethoscope one is probably better as it helps people see it's a site for docs, not canyoneers.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I agree, it's better to use the same photo everywhere. I'll leave the goofy one in place.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

Congrats emergdoc. I'd seen your blog. I'd seen your posts here. But now I can put together that you're the same person.

I just ordered your book as a gift.
elchris

Post by elchris »

LowER wrote: Living and investing frugally will be the only way for new physicians to thrive - and so many will owe so much to you. Whether they know it or not, yet....
I am a medical student and started reading WCI about 2 years ago where I also learned about the bogleheads and started reading this forum/advice. Now, all my investments are pretty much bogleheadish. The information in WCI's forum is invaluable as it is specific to our field from being a student to practicing and retiring. I have a better idea now what to expect financially in residency and further, how to pay off my debt sooner, being in a higher tax bracket, and retiring comfortably. I am currently doing Roth conversions of my husband's 401K to take advantage of our low tax rate now - would certainly not have done this or known that it would be relevant to me had it not been for WCI. So yes, you are very correct in saying that many of us new physicians (to be) will owe much to Jim and will be more secure financially because of his initiative.

Really lucky that this resource was around when I needed it! Thank you WCI and congratulations, well deserved!
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I guess I'll have to give a "belated" congratulations. EmergDoc routinely provides sensible advice, both here and on Whitecoatinvestor.com. Done all while holding down his regular "gig," that's very impressive.

JT
tyler_cracker

Post by tyler_cracker »

EmergDoc wrote:The goofy stethoscope one is probably better as it helps people see it's a site for docs, not canyoneers.
save that one for when you launch The Wet Suit Investor: Investing And Personal Finance Advice For Canyoneers, SCUBA Divers, Surfers, And [(removed) --admin LadyGeek].
JDaniels

Post by JDaniels »

Congrats WCI! I regularly recommend your website to friends in the medical and other professional fields :happy
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."