Anybody using dash cameras?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
aja8888

Anybody using dash cameras?

Post by aja8888 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:13 pm

I have seen a plethora of articles and advertisements for windshield-mounted "dash cameras" being used to record your driving routes. Supposedly, people are doing this to record their actions in the event of accidents or fraud related activities. Here is one review of a camera:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

Anybody use these? Experiences? Recommendations?

Thanks.

chaz

Re: Anybody using dash cameras?

Post by chaz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Police use them. I would use my iPad.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:15 pm

They are real popular in Russia due to massive accident fraud, which provides YouTube with some amazing videos of real accidents and other mayhem. I don't particularly see a need for them in the US yet, but I notice DealExtreme sells them real cheap ($50): http://dx.com/c/car-accessories-799/car ... r-dvrs-735

I did think the other day how cool it would have been to record all the roads we traveled while RVing, then do a compressed video of each trip. Alas, those days are gone.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

aja8888

Post by aja8888 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:49 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:They are real popular in Russia due to massive accident fraud, which provides YouTube with some amazing videos of real accidents and other mayhem. I don't particularly see a need for them in the US yet, but I notice DealExtreme sells them real cheap ($50): http://dx.com/c/car-accessories-799/car ... r-dvrs-735

I did think the other day how cool it would have been to record all the roads we traveled while RVing, then do a compressed video of each trip. Alas, those days are gone.
From what I have read, while most of these are made in Asia, several good vendors there are reporting copies of their units being made with inferior quality. Now that's a new one......cheap Asian electronics complaining about even cheaper Asian electronics...

I was thinking of getting one for my oil field work as we are routinely hired for assets acquisitions and these can make good video clips of oil & gas lease road conditions, site location issues, who's next door, environmental features, etc.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:39 pm

There are entire websites devoted to comparing dash cams and figuring out the fakes from the real ones. Here's one that was posted on Reddit recently:

http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/

I don't really see the need for dash cams, but you can occasionally get a spectacular amount of YouTube views and Reddit karma if you happen to catch something on tape like that boulder that nearly crushed a car during a rock slide in Taiwan.

noyopacific

Post by noyopacific » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:05 am

aja8888 wrote:Anybody use these? Experiences? Recommendations?
This is an older thread but I'll take a shot at it. The model in the linked review is generally called a "G1W." I got one of these for my wife and another for my daughter ($55 each delivered) and a different model for myself: a "Mobius" ($98 with the dash-cam kit.) Prices do not include the required Mini SDHC memory cards. These purchases were based on good reviews and comments on a website that has reviews of various and inexpensive models of digital video cameras: http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/
Techmoan has most of his reviews posted on YouTube. He also has links to some full quality video clips because YouTube's rendering of HD videos significantly reduces the quality.

We have been very impressed with both of these models of dash-cams. The video quality, full HD/1080p, surpasses my expectations, even at night. The video is comparable to what you would expect to get from a GoPro. After six + months, our 3 units continue to function on a daily basis without any problems. The basic differences between the G1W and the Mobius are:
Size: the Mobius is smaller and so is more discrete.
Display: the G1W has a video display to help aim the camera and review the video. With the Mobius, the memory card is usually removed to look at the video (you can plug the Mobius into a monitor to view also.)
Versatility: The Mobius is designed to be more than just a dash-cam. It is especially popular for use on radio-controlled aircraft.
Bottom line: Both take excellent video. The G1W is simpler to use, the Mobius is smaller and has more optional settings but it is a bit more complex.

We have saved and edited the video of some interesting drives and some odd stuff that you see on the road. We have been fortunate to have not recorded any traffic accidents, at least none that we were involved in.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.

Redstorm

Post by Redstorm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:18 am

There's probably a Facebook Page devoted to outing bad drivers recorded on these devices

Russian Dash Cams on Youtube has some carazy stuff stuff recorded

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Updates?

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:19 pm

I really wish I had one this weekend, I was driving slowly (50ish) on a freeway in the right lane to conserve the battery because I had forgotten to plug my car in the night before.

Sure enough as I expected, somebody cut off right in front at an unsafe distance.

However, there was a cop were right there that promptly got on his case. I wish I had the dash cam just to record this.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 pm

[quote="Redstorm"]There's probably a Facebook Page .../quote]

Try http://www.reddit.com/r/dashcam

I think snippets of these could be used for a driver's education process since it shows what CAN happen in an accident.

traumadoc77

Post by traumadoc77 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:00 am

I just installed one in my car yesterday. I got a g1w for like 35 bucks on amazon, very well reviewed and one of the cheapest you can get, 1080p, does well at night, etc. You also need a micro sd card. It was simple to install. I see all the crazy videos and people out there and wanted one to cover my ass, maybe get something neat on tape.

thenameishersch

Post by thenameishersch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:47 pm

This might come across as a silly question - do you need two "dashcams" for each car, one for the front, one for the rear? And what about the sides?

traumadoc77

Post by traumadoc77 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 am

You need one for every direction you want to record. I have just one capturing the front.

Redstorm

Post by Redstorm » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:38 pm

A local guy had one for capturing any accidents to assist with insurance, however it actually captured a road rage incident and he passed on the footage to Police which assisted

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Any updates from recent (regular) users?

barton277

Post by barton277 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:13 pm

I use this one and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GT ... UTF8&psc=1

It fits over your rear view mirror and the mirror on the camera is considerably darker than your regular mirror. It also shakes sometimes, so that takes getting used to.

I want a dash cam on all my cars going forward. I live in a large city and there are too many variables for my commute.

traumadoc77

Post by traumadoc77 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:56 am

Caught my first accident a couple weeks ago. It is pretty easy set it up and forget its there really.

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:32 am

Is anyone worried about the fact that your own dash-cam footage will be evidence against YOU in the event of an accident, right? And if you were to "accidentally" delete the footage after an accident that was arguably your fault, you'll most definitely be accused of spoliation and likely lose your case? I am a careful driver and generally assume that OTHER people will be the cause of accidents more often than not, but the idea of using a dash-cam is pretty frightening when I think of the inevitable subpoena for the footage were I to get into an accident. And then there's the case where an accident is clearly someone else's fault, but the limited view of the camera obscures the cause or even suggests that part of it might be your fault (say, the rear-end collision where your front-viewing camera only records you slowing down suddenly but not the person behind you not paying attention). Yeesh. Evidence.

This is a legitimate question -- do you think the benefits outweigh the risks of these things? I would think they definitely would in insurance fraud cases, but in other cases?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:55 am

TSR wrote:Is anyone worried about the fact that your own dash-cam footage will be evidence against YOU in the event of an accident, right? And if you were to "accidentally" delete the footage after an accident that was arguably your fault, you'll most definitely be accused of spoliation and likely lose your case? I am a careful driver and generally assume that OTHER people will be the cause of accidents more often than not, but the idea of using a dash-cam is pretty frightening when I think of the inevitable subpoena for the footage were I to get into an accident. And then there's the case where an accident is clearly someone else's fault, but the limited view of the camera obscures the cause or even suggests that part of it might be your fault (say, the rear-end collision where your front-viewing camera only records you slowing down suddenly but not the person behind you not paying attention). Yeesh. Evidence.

This is a legitimate question -- do you think the benefits outweigh the risks of these things? I would think they definitely would in insurance fraud cases, but in other cases?
In places where dash cams are exceedingly popular, it's usually to protect themselves in a lawsuit or insurance claim after the accident. Usually these are places were fraud was rampant before dash cams were popular, e.g. staged accidents. But they were also places that may have unfairly assigned blame to one driver in an accident report. Think about your typical accident; there are usually many factors at play. Some may be your fault, some may be the other driver's fault, and some may be no one's fault (e.g. a chance happenstance). The dash cam is an impartial witness, along with any data recorder your vehicle might have.

And as an aside, your rear-end collision case is rather contrived. Most state laws consider rear end collisions to be the fault of the vehicle at the rear unless there was clear evidence that the vehicle ahead was driving unsafely (e.g. cut the other vehicle off and then suddenly braked). Drivers are assumed to either not be paying attention or not be maintaining a safe following distance if they run into your rear bumper, no dash cam footage needed. Now, if your dash cam and your vehicle data recorder showed that you suddenly, for no apparent reason, swerved into another lane, braked, and then got rear ended, then yes, your dash cam was a liability. But so was your vehicle data recorder, and you can't turn that one off.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Our cars have vehicle data recorders? Like a blackbox for an airplane?

Only newer cars have them right?

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
TSR wrote:Is anyone worried about the fact that your own dash-cam footage will be evidence against YOU in the event of an accident, right? And if you were to "accidentally" delete the footage after an accident that was arguably your fault, you'll most definitely be accused of spoliation and likely lose your case? I am a careful driver and generally assume that OTHER people will be the cause of accidents more often than not, but the idea of using a dash-cam is pretty frightening when I think of the inevitable subpoena for the footage were I to get into an accident. And then there's the case where an accident is clearly someone else's fault, but the limited view of the camera obscures the cause or even suggests that part of it might be your fault (say, the rear-end collision where your front-viewing camera only records you slowing down suddenly but not the person behind you not paying attention). Yeesh. Evidence.

In places where dash cams are exceedingly popular, it's usually to protect themselves in a lawsuit or insurance claim after the accident. Usually these are places were fraud was rampant before dash cams were popular, e.g. staged accidents. But they were also places that may have unfairly assigned blame to one driver in an accident report. Think about your typical accident; there are usually many factors at play. Some may be your fault, some may be the other driver's fault, and some may be no one's fault (e.g. a chance happenstance). The dash cam is an impartial witness, along with any data recorder your vehicle might have.

And as an aside, your rear-end collision case is rather contrived. Most state laws consider rear end collisions to be the fault of the vehicle at the rear unless there was clear evidence that the vehicle ahead was driving unsafely (e.g. cut the other vehicle off and then suddenly braked). Drivers are assumed to either not be paying attention or not be maintaining a safe following distance if they run into your rear bumper, no dash cam footage needed. Now, if your dash cam and your vehicle data recorder showed that you suddenly, for no apparent reason, swerved into another lane, braked, and then got rear ended, then yes, your dash cam was a liability. But so was your vehicle data recorder, and you can't turn that one off.
Yes, my example is certainly contrived, and not a particularly good one at that. I work in criminal law, and some of my concerns are probably more appropriate in that context (you had exactly two glasses of wine at dinner and your dashcam records some minor swerving prior to an accident that could be explained by anything, but that the DA will use as evidence of "impairment," etc.), but I could see both positive and negative aspects in civil litigation as well. My personal instinct is that there are enough cases in which no video evidence is better than SOME video evidence that I would have difficulty weighing those risks and benefits in this case. That's why I was curious as to how others have done so. Thanks for your thoughts.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:57 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:Our cars have vehicle data recorders? Like a blackbox for an airplane?

Only newer cars have them right?
To answer in order: Yes, Yes, Not necessarily.

The recorders have been around since the mid-1990s, although they did not get widely deployed until recently. There is a minimum standard of information to be retained, and the NHTSA has proposed making them mandatory.

If you want more information, this is the best "one stop" website I could find that gives a good overview of the current uses and regulation surrounding the recorders: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/event ... ders/qanda

noyopacific

Post by noyopacific » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:42 am

TSR wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:
TSR wrote:Is anyone worried about the fact that your own dash-cam footage will be evidence against YOU in the event of an accident
In places where dash cams are exceedingly popular, it's usually to protect themselves in a lawsuit or insurance claim after the accident. . . .

And as an aside, your rear-end collision case is rather contrived.
Yes, my example is certainly contrived, and not a particularly good one at that. I work in criminal law, and some of my concerns are probably more appropriate in that context (you had exactly two glasses of wine at dinner and your dashcam records some minor swerving prior to an accident that could be explained by anything, but that the DA will use as evidence of "impairment," etc.), but I could see both positive and negative aspects in civil litigation as well. My personal instinct is that there are enough cases in which no video evidence is better than SOME video evidence that I would have difficulty weighing those risks and benefits in this case. Thanks for your thoughts.
My feeling is that if I were at fault, I would want to be in a position to see the video and if necessary, accept the consequences of my mistake. Since you (TSR) appear to be a criminal defense attorney, I would guess that your focus may be more on helping clients avoid responsibility for their actions. That's okay, it's your job.

I did get some great video of a collision I was involved in recently. I was the victim of a hit & run. The culprit was a large black bear ! He ran across the road and ran smack into my fender. I had seen him coming and was almost stopped when he ran into me. It happened right next to a ranger station where I suspect that he'd just been run off after raiding the rangers garbage cans. Judging from his speedy get-away, I don't think he was hurt. The damage to the fender of my Subaru Outback was very minor, the fender was pushed in about an inch in from the moulded bumper.

I hadn't even thought about checking the dash-cam until my wife asked if I had gotten it on video. I was using one of the cheap G1W's I got on eBay with a 32 GB micro SD card and the quality of the video (shot at 5:30 AM with only the light from my headlights) was excellent.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.

larryinnewyork

Post by larryinnewyork » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:05 am

I bought one last year.
Really glad I have it.

The only people against using Dash Cams are "sleazy" Lawyers.
They know who they are.

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:51 pm

This thread reminded me that I had been considering getting a dash cam for some time now. So this week I ordered a Falcon F-360 Dual-Camera HD Video recorder. It mounts over the rearview mirror and has the ability to record front and rear views. Cost was $100, delivered. We will see how it goes. I will report back after the shakedown cruise (hopefully no "film at 11."
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

natureexplorer

Dashboard Cameras

Post by natureexplorer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:03 pm

[Thread merged, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Does any driver with a dashboard camera? If yes, why?

Is there specific device you would recommend and why?

On Amazon the G1W seems to be recommended.

Here is an example of a video with an accident involving a car and a bicyclist.
Warning: the footage is disturbing.
YouTube Video
The bicyclist sued the driver.

batpot

Re: Dashboard Cameras

Post by batpot » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 pm

I've been considering one, but haven't bit yet; have read good things about the GW1 you referenced...might finally be persuaded to take the plunge.

As to the question of why...I think you answered that already w/ the video.
Seems from that video that the cyclist was in the wrong, and the video should serve as good evidence for the driver in the lawsuit, w/out which he may be in serious trouble.

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:13 pm

batpot wrote:I've been considering one, but haven't bit yet; have read good things about the GW1 you referenced...might finally be persuaded to take the plunge.

As to the question of why...I think you answered that already w/ the video.
Seems from that video that the cyclist was in the wrong, and the video should serve as good evidence for the driver in the lawsuit, w/out which he may be in serious trouble.
Yeah, exactly, the law suit went nowhere thanks to the video.

By the way, the video was not taken with the G1W.
Last edited by natureexplorer on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LK2012

Post by LK2012 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Oh, yeah ... if I were that driver, I would definitely want a video of that mess. Whew!

runner9

Post by runner9 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Discussed in depth a few weeks ago:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... &p=2242194

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:54 pm

FYI - I merged natureexplorer's thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.