Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2015!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2015!

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 03 November 2014:
31 Jan - dpc

Currently, 1 class member.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
midmoder

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2015!

Post by midmoder »

September 30 for me! DH will follow on December 31.
m139115

Post by m139115 »

I'm in. Sometime between Jan 1 and March 31. Employer gets to decide. 56 yo and have been planning for it financially since I was 30. Its the time and what to do with it that concerns me today.

Update- had the discussion yesterday. Officially it's March 31.
Last edited by m139115 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 04 November 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
Currently, 3 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

m139115 wrote:I'm in. Sometime between Jan 1 and March 31. Employer gets to decide. 56 yo and have been planning for it financially since I was 30. Its the time and what to do with it that concerns me today.
I listed you for the 1 January 2015, retirement date; I will change it later if necessary. Congratulations with the good financial planning. Personal planning can also be challenging, but as you read the retirement threads and some other Bogleheads discussions, you will get the sense of how people are using the freedom to control their time--which is both a privilege and a responsibility.

Best wishes,

Victoria

P.S. I just saw this quote, which is relevant to retirement: "The bad news is that time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." (Michael Altshuler).
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Dec 31....pulling the plug ;-)
Philliefan33

Post by Philliefan33 »

March 31, 2015

But no one at work knows yet -- I'm waiting until January to request the paperwork from HR.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

I'm in. Been dragging my feet on this for a month and a half so I guess 2015 instead of 2014. I'll go with end of Feb.
beltonr

Post by beltonr »

No later than 30 June 2015. Heading to Florida next week to check out "active adult communities."
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I'm Jealous and envious of this thread :) :)
Cant wait til the roll call for 2028 - obviously if I hit the power ball before that I'll let you know!

Congrats to all - well done.

Not to derail the thread, but....Are there 'fun' 'active' 'adult' communities? I guess I'm asking if there are products tailored to those 45-65 specifically who have ER'ed
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
tj

Post by tj »

Are there 'fun' 'active' 'adult' communities? I guess I'm asking if there are products tailored to those 45-65 specifically who have ER'ed
If there's not, develop one and you can retire sooner! ;-)
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

Finishing up in clinical Medicine January 31, 2015.
Ged

Post by Ged »

DW April 30!
VTXVX

Post by VTXVX »

I've decided to try early retirement at age 51 beginning Jan 30, 2015 (+/- 2 weeks)
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

Wow, I can't believe I am finally responding to this! No later than April 1st. At 60 as planned.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 05 November 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
Currently, 10 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Add me as member #11! I have accepted an offer for my business, the loan has been approved for the buyer and the process is moving along very quickly. Shooting for a 1/1/15 closing. It seems so surreal. I have been planning and saving for so long and BAM :happy it is nearly here. I would encourage anyone at is near their number to go for it. I turn 64 in March. Would I be financially stronger if I waited a few years longer? Maybe, maybe not. I found a qualified buyer and I am going for it. I figure at this stage of life the good years are an estimation. I am ready to live my life on my terms. Woo Hoo!!!
Girino

Post by Girino »

February 28, 2015 for DW, and May 12, 2015 for me!
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

For those of you who plans to retire soon, what do you define as retirement:

- stop working in your regular job?
- or something else?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

TradingPlaces wrote:For those of you who plans to retire soon, what do you define as retirement:

- stop working in your regular job?
- or something else?
As a Class of 2013 retiree, I'd define it as stopping work in any/all regular paying job.
I have gone back to my previous employer part-time one to three partial days some weeks over a total span of maybe six months. But I don't feel it changes my fundamental status...
Attempted new signature...
chaz

Post by chaz »

Why no Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2003?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 16 November 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
Currently, 12 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Bump... to allow addition of new responses
Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb »

I will be retiring in April 2015, after 32 years with my employer...plus a few years in graduate school and a few years working for an Accounting firm before that. Looking forward to it :D
Andy
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 18 December 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.

15 Apr - Wagnerjb <-- New member

Currently, 13 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Wagnerjb wrote:I will be retiring in April 2015, after 32 years with my employer...plus a few years in graduate school and a few years working for an Accounting firm before that. Looking forward to it :D
Hi Andy,

I added you to the list. Please provide the date in April, if you know and are willing to share it.

Congratulations with the upcoming retirement,

Victoria
dpc

Post by dpc »

Just an update - closing date for the sale of my business is set for Jan 7, 2015. I'll be (very) part-time after that. In November, we closed on a new house in a new town - now we just have sell the one we're living in! After 25 years in one place, the thought of getting our house cleaned up and on the market is very daunting - it may become my new full-time job for awhile.

Anyway, looking forward to letting some of the springs in my head unwind a little. But being an engineer, I'm sure I'll find plenty of new things to worry about. 8-)

I'm sure there will be some trepidation when we start withdrawing money from our retirement savings instead of putting it in, but thanks to this forum and some Boglehead reading, I'm feeling OK with the concept at this point.

Cheers,

Dave
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb »

VictoriaF wrote:
Wagnerjb wrote:I will be retiring in April 2015, after 32 years with my employer...plus a few years in graduate school and a few years working for an Accounting firm before that. Looking forward to it :D
Hi Andy,

I added you to the list. Please provide the date in April, if you know and are willing to share it.

Congratulations with the upcoming retirement,

Victoria
Victoria: I have made a commitment to my boss that I would stick around in early 2015 until the year-end financial reports and audits are complete. At that point (likely late February), I will stop working and take my unused vacation until it is used up. I estimate that should be mid-April. So, if you need an exact date for your purposes, feel free to use April 15th.

Best wishes.
Andy
NoRoboGuy

Post by NoRoboGuy »

Retiring Feb 28, 2015 from regular work, but I expect I will dabble in projects whenever I feel like it.
There is no free lunch.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 30 December 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
28 Feb - louis c <-- Welcome to the Class!

Currently, 14 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 04 January 2015: : <-- replaced with a later list.

Have graduated:
01 Jan - m139115 (56) <-- Congratulations!

Currently, 14 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MidMNtom

Post by MidMNtom »

Hey everyone!
I finally got off the side lines after perusing the site for a few years. Investing/finance has been a long term hobby/interest for a very log time. Well, today was my first day of retirement from MEGA Corp after 38 years in the legal industry (not an Atty.) This retirement date was not of my choosing, but at 60 yo, I was given a nice severance package to go early. I wanted to work a few more years, but I've had a very nice run.
Thankfully, I had pretty much followed the BH theory except for managed funds and investment adviser for many years. After reading most all of the recommended BH books and following your site script, we got to our number in spite of ourselves....

A special thank you to all you contributors and volunteers. I feel I know so many of you already.

I'll be posting more in the near future,

Thanks again

MidMNtom
retirement class of 2015
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 06 January 2015: <-- replaced with a later list.
xx Jul - laughlinlvr <-- Welcome to the Class
18 Dec - cinghiale <-- Welcome to the Class

Have graduated:
05 Jan - MidMNtom (60) <-- Welcome to the Forum and Congratulations with Retirement!

Currently, 17 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
laughlinlvr

Post by laughlinlvr »

Probably in the second half of 2015. Hope to transition from full-time employment to construction claims on a consulting basis.
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Victoria,
I was wondering if you would host a "Class of 2015" thread. Thanks for initiating it.

I wish to be inscribed. My letter of retirement will say December 31, but I already have Friday, December 18 circled on my 2015 calendar.

This will be the sweet spot. I will be old enough to stay with work-sponsored health insurance, but only just so. I can't think of any good reason to cope with the job-related stress one month longer than necessary. That's the push. A great quote on a related thread ("Retiring early") captures the "pull." Toons wrote:
After reading the article a couple of times,This paragraph just kept grabbing my attention. :happy
"I can honestly say I haven't been bored for one minute in the last 20 years. The ultimate luxury is not having anything you have to do, or anyone you have to report to. Essentially, I'm able to do whatever interests me at the moment, 100% of the time."
It's already a source of great contentment to be thinking in terms of months rather than years for embracing such a perspective.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

laughlinlvr wrote:Probably in the second half of 2015. Hope to transition from full-time employment to construction claims on a consulting basis.
I added you to the 6 Jan 2015 list above. When you know the exact date please let me know.

Congratulations with the big decision,
Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cinghiale wrote:Victoria,
I was wondering if you would host a "Class of 2015" thread. Thanks for initiating it.

I wish to be inscribed. My letter of retirement will say December 31, but I already have Friday, December 18 circled on my 2015 calendar.

This will be the sweet spot. I will be old enough to stay with work-sponsored health insurance, but only just so. I can't think of any good reason to cope with the job-related stress one month longer than necessary. That's the push. A great quote on a related thread ("Retiring early") captures the "pull." Toons wrote:
After reading the article a couple of times,This paragraph just kept grabbing my attention. :happy
"I can honestly say I haven't been bored for one minute in the last 20 years. The ultimate luxury is not having anything you have to do, or anyone you have to report to. Essentially, I'm able to do whatever interests me at the moment, 100% of the time."
It's already a source of great contentment to be thinking in terms of months rather than years for embracing such a perspective.
cinghiale,

Congratulations with joining the Class of 2015 and reducing your wait to months. I am very happy for you.

Retiring is a big and an unnerving step, but retirement is wonderful. I am sure you will be successful in it.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress and adventures,
Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

This is a reminder that the registration for the Retirement Class of 2015 is open.

Victoria
Alice Ranch

Post by Alice Ranch »

Just received my medicare card so count me in. Took buyout in late 2011 and never looked back. Many thanks to Mr Bogle and Bogleheads for financial education and moral support. Cheers!
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Alice Ranch wrote:Just received my medicare card so count me in. Took buyout in late 2011 and never looked back. Many thanks to Mr Bogle and Bogleheads for financial education and moral support. Cheers!
Hi Alice,

Based on what you wrote, you are in the Retirement Class of 2011. You were a senior when this class members were not even freshmen. Congratulations!

Victoria
chaz

Post by chaz »

VictoriaF wrote:
Alice Ranch wrote:Just received my medicare card so count me in. Took buyout in late 2011 and never looked back. Many thanks to Mr Bogle and Bogleheads for financial education and moral support. Cheers!
Hi Alice,

Based on what you wrote, you are in the Retirement Class of 2011. You were a senior when this class members were not even freshmen. Congratulations!

Victoria
I guess I am in the class of 2003 ( I retired on 12/31/2003.)
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

chaz wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Hi Alice,

Victoria
Yes, you are. With your tenure in retirement, you can mentor the new graduates about the retirement life.

Victoria
chaz

Post by chaz »

VictoriaF wrote:
chaz wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Hi Alice,

Victoria
Yes, you are. With your tenure in retirement, you can mentor the new graduates about the retirement life.

Victoria
Retirement is simply great! You can do whatever you want to do, so long as it is legal. Every day is a holiday. Enjoy each day!
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

Please include my name for 2015. Thanks.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
gougmonk

Post by gougmonk »

February 1 2015 after being on vacation since 18 October 2014. Will be getting my VG four fund program funded and operational next week. Traveling this week.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 07 February 2015: <-- replaced with the 08 February 2015 list
Currently, 21 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

Congrats and good luck to all in the class of 2015. I am shooting for December 31. May actually burn vacation for a couple of months before then. My kids are screaming I am too young and are even getting Grandkids to lobby me to keep working. I think it makes them feel old. I will be 68 so no problem with too young.
There is also the dreaded thought that I could work a few more years and pile up more money, but I suspect in a few years I would have the same thought. I have yet to tell the company I am leaving but did tell them to put me in a spare office when the office moves so they eventually can transition to a new person. I will drop the other shoe in a few months. I will give them plenty of time to replace and run parallel.
Interesting how so many people have thoughts about work for me when I retire. They give me a blank look when I tell them I am retiring because I no longer want to work.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Snapper wrote:Congrats and good luck to all in the class of 2015. I am shooting for December 31. May actually burn vacation for a couple of months before then. My kids are screaming I am too young and are even getting Grandkids to lobby me to keep working. I think it makes them feel old. I will be 68 so no problem with too young.
Hi Snapper,

I added you to the list; welcome to the Class! My response to "being too young to retire" is that I want to enjoy my freedom while I am young.

Victoria
island

Post by island »

VictoriaF wrote:Class of 2015 as of 07 February 2015:
xx xxx - obgyn65 <-- Welcome to the Class (date?)
28 Feb - Jim85
28 Feb - louis c
31 Mar - Philliefan33
15 Apr - Wagnerjb
01 Apr - Rob54keep (60)
12 May - Girino
30 Jun - beltonr
xx Jul - laughlinlvr
30 Sep - midmoder
18 Dec - cinghiale
31 Dec - Nearing_Destination
31 Dec - Snapper (68) <-- Welcome to the Class

Have graduated:
01 Jan - m139115 (56)
05 Jan - MidMNtom (60)
15 Jan - Greenie (63)
30 Jan - VTXVX (51)
31 Jan - dpc
31 Jan - zzcooper123
01 Feb - gougmonk <-- Welcome to the Class

Currently, 20 class members.

Victoria
Best Wishes to thr Class of 2015! 🎓🎉 :sharebeer

I get a kick out of the retirement roll call threads. Not there myself yet and not pining away for it yet, fortunately, but was wondering how you all decided on your specific date.

I figured when the time came and if it was up to me rather than imposed on me, I'd just finish out the year and retire Dec 31 (year whatever) like some of you, but how about the others?

Are the random dates based on passing a years of service or birthdate milestone, finishing up a project, training or waiting for a new employee to replace you, using up vacation, just can't take it anymore, or some other consideration?

Just curious. Thanks.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

To answer island's question, picking a specific date depends a lot on your individual circumstances.
I worked as an engineer with assorted ups and downs of various projects. Original plan was to retire October, 2012, but too much interesting work going on that fall so I put it off.
But by January following, I felt it was time, so I handed in my four weeks notice in early February and walked out for last time as fulltime employee on Friday, March 8th...
Attempted new signature...