Oatmeal suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
William4u

Re: Oatmeal suggestions

Post by William4u »

steel cut oats
2-3 t soy sauce
1 T scallions (or sauteed garlic or onion)
2 t fish sauce (optional)
2-3 t toasted sesame oil
chopped scrambled egg (optional)
rooster hot sauce to taste
pepper to taste

Some other oatmeal ideas from Mark Bittman of the NYTimes...
http://www.today.com/id/41864160/ns/tod ... e-oatmeal/
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

livesoft wrote:
livesoft wrote:Instead of using water, why not something like a cup of Dr. Pepper soft drink? (I'm gonna try it tomorrow anyways.)
I am eating oatmeal cooked in Dr Pepper instead of water now. I also added some cherry-flavored craisins. This breakfast tastes as good as any oatmeal breakfast that I have ever had. Slightly sweet and a tinge of cherry. The caffeine is probably good for you, too.

I pronounce that adding oatmeal to anything will make it healthier.
I wish to report that using 1 c Dr Pepper per 1/2 c uncooked oatmeal is way too sweet, but 1/2 c Dr Pepper + 1/2 c water is very good. Also add a scoop or two of Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein powder to make the oatmeal healthy and taste better.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

tetractys wrote:Here's a delicacy:

When the oatmeal has thickened enough, crack an egg on top. When it's done you have a beautiful poached egg laced with rolled oats to season as you like, and to eat along with your oatmeal.

I seldom eat eggs with the yolk anymore. So alternately I've been doing something similar in a small dish coated with olive oil and filled with egg sub. -- Tet
I have never thought of this. But I need to try this.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

A year or two ago the bulb finally went on - I could cook real porridge in my rice cooker if I soaked it like brown rice. :shock:

I have a 30+ year-old Zojirushi with 3 settings - cook, keep warm, and unplugged. Works fine although a bit messy if you don't allow a couple of minutes before opening. Last night I tried putting the oatmeal in with the water and letting it sit overnight with the rice cooker plugged into the AC timer. Worked fine. Hot oatmeal sitting there waiting for me.

So you can make the real stuff in an old rice cooker. These are often put up on Craig's List for around ten bucks when the semester ends. When my old one finally gives up I'll get one of the fancy ones with a porridge setting.

Vic
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

This is an old thread, but I want to report that oatmeal has given me awesome abs. The trick is not to use a rice cooker, but to cook oatmeal in a microwave using the following procedure:

1. Measure 1/2 c oatmeal, 1/2 c Dr Pepper, 1/2 c water into a large glass microwave-proof bowl and set aside.
2. Go do 25 crunches with barbells in each hand held near your ears.
3. Put the bowl in the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute.
4. While 3 is happening, go do another 25 crunches with barbells.
5. Open microwave and stir oatmeal, then heat on high for another minute.
6. Another set of crunches.
7. Open microwave and stir oatmeal, then heat on high for 30 - 45 seconds.
8. Another set of crunches.
9. Remove oatmeal in bowl from microwave, stir and set aside as it is too hot to eat.
10. Another set of crunches.
11. Check temperature of oatmeal, if too hot, then switch to straight leg lifts (25 in a set, no touching the floor).
12. Repeat step 11 until you can eat the oatmeal.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I had the cook prepare my oatmeal that way but it didn't improve my abs at all!
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

backpacker wrote:We get our oatmeal in 50 pound bags. But you also have to be really committed to oatmeal! :D
We used to buy it in bulk but couldn't keep the moths out. You got a method?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

LongerPrimer wrote:We used to buy it in bulk but couldn't keep the moths out. You got a method?
I had a bag of cornmeal in the refrigerator for quite a while then I moved it to a cupboard when short of room then forgot about it and the moths were all in it and I'm still swatting them weeks later.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Old fashion Quaker oats, cooked in water with organic chia, both from Costco.

I add raisins, nuts, and/or cranberries. Eat more during colder weather. Tried steel cut version but switched back since I'm not sure it was worth it.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

livesoft wrote:This is an old thread, but I want to report that oatmeal has given me awesome abs. The trick is not to use a rice cooker, but to cook oatmeal in a microwave using the following procedure:

1. Measure 1/2 c oatmeal, 1/2 c Dr Pepper, 1/2 c water into a large glass microwave-proof bowl and set aside.
9. Remove oatmeal in bowl from microwave, stir and set aside as it is too hot to eat.
11. Check temperature of oatmeal, if too hot, then switch to straight leg lifts (25 in a set, no touching the floor).
Livesoft,

Can I please spend one day with you? Just one. It would probably be so much more fun than any vacation lol. ☺☺☺
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I do the asian cafe style oatmeal. Roughly 1/2 cup 1 min ready oatmeal with 1/2 cup of cold water in a pot. Turn on stove to med high heat. Pour generous amount of milk around 2 cups. Stir slowly till small bubbles appear on the side. Mix in 2-3 Tbsp of condensed milk. Serve hot.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
aeronina

Post by aeronina »

I like to make a mixture of 1/2 cup oats, a heaping tablespoon of chia seeds, flax seeds, ground almonds, wheatgerm, and sunflower seeds. I make several such mixtures and put them in separate bags in the freezer. Then I cook one of these bags in roughly 8-10 cups of water. I bring it to a boil each time I pass by the kitchen. Then I turn off the burner immediately. I do this perhaps 4 times over a 2 day period. This makes about 6 cups of a nice mixture. I eat approximately one cup a day, merely a quick reheat in the microwave. The rest of the week's mixture remains in the refrigerator in glass jars. If I add all those extra ingredients to the whole oats, I don't feel hungry for several hours. I always buy organic whole oats and as much of the other organic ingredients I can find. This recipe works for people who want to eat simply, well, but don't have time to cook for very long every day. Have fun!
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Surprised no one has mentioned baked oatmeal yet! I love the recipes from Budget Bytes. I make mine in a loaf pan and it eat it with a small serving of plain yogurt on top. You can have it cold or warm. My favorite is peach blueberry! Pumpkin is also really nice this time of year!

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/07/baked-oatmeal/
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

LongerPrimer wrote:
backpacker wrote:We get our oatmeal in 50 pound bags. But you also have to be really committed to oatmeal! :D
We used to buy it in bulk but couldn't keep the moths out. You got a method?
Not the OP of this comment, but I bought these great food grade buckets for my bulk bread flour:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/ite ... cket-large

I've also heard you can sometimes get them for free by asking nicely at the deli of your grocery store, but you have to be careful about what was originally in them so you don't end up with oats that taste like pickles! They're kind of expensive & I really want more so if anyone has a cheaper source I'm all ears.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

tetractys wrote:Here's a delicacy:

When the oatmeal has thickened enough, crack an egg on top. When it's done you have a beautiful poached egg laced with rolled oats to season as you like, and to eat along with your oatmeal.

I seldom eat eggs with the yolk anymore. So alternately I've been doing something similar in a small dish coated with olive oil and filled with egg sub. -- Tet
I highly recommend seasoning said oats with a dab of curry paste or the like. Made some the other day with harissa. Yum!
JDaniels

Post by JDaniels »

Ok, here's my favorite:
1 cup steel cut oatmeal
1 scoop egg or whey protein powder (any flavor)
3 cups water
Almonds or walnuts
Raisins or cranberries
Coconut flakes

For me, the perfect breakfast :D
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

Chuck Norris eats oatmeal for breakfast...
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

We love steel cut oats. Got great prices on bobs red mill at Costco a year ago but now they never have the original. Only some Bob's quick cooking type. Anyway the reason I'm writing this is because I love my zojirushi for rice but never thought at all about oatmeal in the porrage setting. Definitely trying that this weekend!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^I suppose you could do crunches until your oatmeal is ready. Your abs will then look better than my abs … eventually.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

livesoft wrote:This is an old thread, but I want to report that oatmeal has given me awesome abs. The trick is not to use a rice cooker, but to cook oatmeal in a microwave using the following procedure:

Any particular kind of oatmeal - steel cut, old fashioned, instant? :P
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Only steel cut oatmeal is worthy of consumption. I just buy the bulk stuff at the grocery. I do 3:1 or 4:1 water. Only takes 30 min. I get it started when I wake up, bring to boil, let med-low simmer, it's done by the time I'm dressed in the morning. Or make it the night ahead of time. Drizzle maple syrup and banana, yogurt, smoothies, anything to taste if you want sweet. 1/3 c oats is a good amount for 1 serving.
Last edited by 4stripes on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

4stripes wrote:Only steel cut oatmeal is worth eating. I just buy the bulk stuff at the grocery. I do 3:1 or 4:1 water. Only takes 30 min. I get it started when I wake up, bring to boil, let simmer, it's done by the time I'm dressed in the morning. Or make it night ahead of time.

I agree, I've become a bit of an oatmeal snob. I always do 3:1, usually a large batch that I reheat leftovers for the next couple days.

I usually put the oats on the stove before my morning workout.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

coaches oats are not currently sold at costco. you can get directly from the maker or from amazon (both higher price than costco).
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Steel cut oats and we make enough for several days and then use the radar range to warm them each morning.

I add a couple of spoons of low fat vanilla yogart after warming.

Ed
FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime »

Does anyone have a good muesli recipe? As in like Swiss or european? I know it starts with uncooked oatmeal, soaked overnight in milk? juice, raspberries flavored yogurt, sugar, and ? And kept in fridge overnight. Next morning you add fruit, nuts etc. I love it. Have it on cruises and a local restaurant, but I've relocated. I really miss it - it was yummy and almost like desert.
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

I have been eating Mccann's Steel Cut Oatmeal, 28-Ounce Tin but thought people might be interested in this from Amazon:
Even at $6 per canister, this product is inexplicably overpriced. Let me explain why:

Intro to Oats 101--Oats, in whole form, are known as groats. In an effort to cut down on cooking time (or eating time, for those on the run, who don't have the time or patience to chew @mouthful 20-30x), oats are refined into the following:

-steel cut oats--cracked into two or more pieces
-oat flakes--flattened with an oat roller
-oatmeal--same as flakes, but parboiled
-instant oatmeal--more processed than reg. oatmeal
-oat flour--milled into dust, for baked goods or as a thickening
agent.

This product fits into the first catagory. Their claim of "guaranteed uniformity" is a coined phrase, meaning each cracked grain is the same size, a gourmet characteristic.

All this being said, I am not aware of oats from Scotland or Ireland having any magical or mystical quality, outside of marketing hype or myth. Truth be told, you could go to any health food store with a bulk bin (one sign of a conscientious health food store), buy whole oats, certified organic, for about $2 per lb., and crack your own oats with a grain mill (Corona brand, one time investment, about $70, lifetime expectancy), or in a blender. For those more ambitious, you could cook them whole, which involves soaking them overnight, then simmering for about 90 minutes. Do not be put off by the cooking time, it is unattended, with a flame deflector. Cooking becomes a chore because of prep time, not the time on the stove.
Why whole? Because any time you grind or crack a grain, there is nutrient loss and, to those open to more estoteric models, a loss of life force (a.k.a. "chi").

I did buy this product, and as connoisseur of oats, I was not impressed, did not give the same energy boost as others. Did not taste fresh, either.

Now, onto an advanced concept: if you truly want the "Rolls Royce" of oats, there is a brand called "Really Raw Oats". Why is this? Because the oats commercially available are partially steamed to protect against rancidity (oats are about 10% fat, albeit an exceptionally healthful fat). How do I know this? Because a truly raw grain will sprout. Attempts to sprout other oats have been fruitless.

The Really Raw Oats carry a price tag of about $11 per lb., but are worth it. Conversely, the product here, in my opinion, does not command the price point it seeks.

p.s. the best TASTING oats I had came out of Canada--when you dry-roasted them in a pan, it took on the aroma of vanilla--BLISS! Haven't seen them, however, since the mid 1990's. I purchased from Lynn Paterson, who was pictured in David Sergel's fine book, "Zen Shiatsu"

Bon Appeite, Good Health and Caveat Emptor
Anyone try Really Raw Oats?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Note the recently published OATrageous Oatmeals: Delicious & Surprising Plant-Based Dishes From This Humble, Heart-Healthy Grain and the following two reviews of it:

http://www.amazon.com/OATrageous-Oatmea ... 1624140742

http://www.levanacooks.com/oatrageous-o ... ok-review/
Gordon
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

I used it for the first time today in bread I made.
Excellent!!!
rj49

Post by rj49 »

I find a nice balance between the blandness/mushiness and the preparation pains of steel-cut: Trader Joe's Organic Multigrain Hot Cereal. It has rye, barley, oats, and wheat, so you get a variety of grains, and it has a nice texture, and is quick to make. I also like almond milk with my cereal, which adds a nutty taste and options for vanilla and other flavors (and you don't end up making a big pot of oatmeal only to find out your milk has gone sour).

If you want to avoid the preparation time issues, you can cook ahead and freeze portions in the freezer, or do what I saw advocated today: fill cupcake pans with cooked oatmeal, and when they freeze, pop them out and store them in big ziplock bags, then microwave when you're ready to use.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Here is something different.I usually switch every other day between eating oatmeal and eating muesli mixed in with greek yogurt which I let sit overnight to soften the Bobs Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli.
I was at Costco and they were sampling a new product which was greek yogurt mixed with oatmeal and some fruit.It was pretty good so I decided to experiment.So my wife cooks a batch of Bobs Red Mill Steel Cut Oats and puts in the fridge.At night I mix in the cooked,cold oatmeal into the greek yogurt.I then add walnuts,pecans and some raisins and mix it all up.I then put a lot of frozen bluberries on top and put in fridge overnight.In the morning I stir the thawed blueberries in and I have a very healthy breakfast with no sugar except for the natural sugar in the fruit.The greek yogurt is non fat with no added sugar.Pretty good stuff.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:It does take quite a while to cook, so just start it early.
Trust me on this. Get a Zojirushi rice cooker. It also makes great rice, but apropos of this thread, you put in the oatmeal and water, select porridge on the menu, dial in what time you'd like it to be ready, and go to sleep. In my cooker, it usually cooks for 65 minutes, but the fuzzy logic sometimes changes that slightly. It is wonderful oatmeal, and very consistent with the cooker (and nothing to overflow, stir, etc.).

It is one of the most useful kitchen appliances I've ever bought for myself. Don't try to use a lesser model.

We also have one. It makes brown rice, quinoa, rice mixes flawlessly.

We like oak bran in the microwave for a very easy and fast for breakfast. Trader Joes has a nice priced package. In the past we enjoyed Snoqualmie Falls Oat Meal for a high quality flavor.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I think some of you eat what I wouldn't consider as being food (e.g., flax seeds). I normally do not eat oatmeal, but have been trying to eat it more often before seeing this thread. What I have been doing is 2-3 parts plain instant Quaker oatmeal with 1 part red-date flavored instant oatmeal. Not too bad.
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

I buy it right from the bulk foods section. When I have it I use cinnamon, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and 3 brazil nuts along with cranberries and 1 banana all in almond milk. I eat it cold. Also you may want to try millet as it`s very healthy also.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

We've been making steel cut oats in an electric pressure cooker. Works really well. Takes about 15 minutes in the morning...

Adding apple slices and raisins adds just enough sweetness and I am always surprised how well the apples cook down. Cinnamon and walnuts added on top.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LU ... B0073GIN08
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Quaker now has a quick cook steel cut product and agree with most that steel cut is best - add oats to boiling water, reduce heat and in five minutes you're to eat. Add whatever you like - it all tastes good!
"Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have" - America
Steven28

Post by Steven28 »

I buy Bob's extra thick cut oatmeal. Cooks in 10 minutes and is a coarse cereal - not that mushy paste you get with quick cooking oats. tasty and I add ground flaxseed to it as a topping along with some maple syrup. Highly recommended
birdy

Post by birdy »

+1 for Simply Oats

birdy
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

McGann's steel cut , 3-4 tablespoons in medium saucepan with roughly 1/2 water , lid on , high heat , bring to boil , lid off , heat on low , stir until desired consistency - pour into bowl , add granola with almonds, wheat germ , fruit (rasberries, blueberries, mixed ) - yum yum - takes 5-10 minutes .

Others have mentioned a porridge cooker with timer which sounds good but my method is quick enough .
Dick D

Post by Dick D »

Trader Joe's Steel Cut Oates. I add 1 cup to 4 cups of boiling water and keep it on a low boil for 25 minutes. Since this makes 4 servings, I put the remainder in the frig and reheat in the micro wave as needed. To add flavor I add one teaspoon of honey, berries and some milk or yogurt.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Has anyone tried Oatmeal from McDonald's?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jakepeters

Post by jakepeters »

I also prefer steel cut oats or groats.

But, as stated several times above, the cooking time is much longer.

To reduce the time in the morning you can soak them overnight (as also suggested above), or use the recipe I found from Cooks Illustrated:
http://numnums.com/recipes/275/cook-s-i ... 10-minutes

Ratio is 4 parts water (or milk) to 1 part steel cut oats

Basically, the night before boil the water (3 parts), then take the water off the burner (turn off the burner!) and add the 1 part oats.

Let it sit overnight.

In the morning add 1 more part water (or milk) and bring to a simmer for about 5-7 minutes, until thick like pudding.

Then let it sit 5 minutes.

Add your favorite flavorings.

Eat.

JP
Glomar

Post by Glomar »

If you like pumpkin, this is a winner:

Ingredients

1 cup steel cut oats
3-1/2 cups water (almond or regular milk can be substituted)
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
optional: 1/2 cup honey or 2 teaspoons vanilla liquid stevia*
* Sweetener can be added during cooking or cook it without and each person can add their own sweetener of choice on top after cooking.

Directions

Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. Enjoy!

Recipe from
http://skinnyms.com/overnight-slow-cook ... gar-added/
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

AlanSteven wrote:I buy Bob's extra thick cut oatmeal. Cooks in 10 minutes and is a coarse cereal - not that mushy paste you get with quick cooking oats. tasty and I add ground flaxseed to it as a topping along with some maple syrup. Highly recommended
After following this thread for a few days, I popped into Target the other day and bought some Quaker Old Fashioned Oats.
My god, what a difference the unprocessed oats make when prepared properly. The flakes stay intact and are nice and chewy. After years of eating gooey, pasty instant oatmeal my eyes have been opened. I can't wait to eat more of this...the texture is so good. I've missed out!

I'll have to give the extra thick cut variety a try as well....sounds like more of what I'm after.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

miles monroe wrote:coaches oats are not currently sold at costco. you can get directly from the maker or from amazon (both higher price than costco).
just wanted to update this old thread that coaches oats are back at costo. seasonal item; so if ya like em better go get em.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I've eaten atleast 1 bowl of oatmeal every day for the last 7 years. My cholesterol and glucose levels are excellent.

1 cup rolled oats
2-3 tbsp raw organic cocoa powder
1 scoop chocolate whey protein
3/4 cup blueberries
hemp seeds
chia seeds
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

OK, I'm finally going to try some of these suggestions this summer. :D
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

So has anyone ever made oatmeal in the Instant pot pressure cooker?
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

oldzey wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:51 pm So has anyone ever made oatmeal in the Instant pot pressure cooker?
Yes, super easy. Add oats, add water, set timer on manual for about 4 minutes. Wait about 30 minutes (~5 for pressure to build, 4 to cook, 20 to let it slow release) and that's it.

No need to stir and stand by the stove.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:19 pmNo need to stir and stand by the stove.
Nobody does that anymore anyways. The microwave methods give one the best abs without any standing around:
viewtopic.php?p=2242092#p2242092

I tried steel-cut oatmeal and didn't like it.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

oldzey wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:51 pm So has anyone ever made oatmeal in the Instant pot pressure cooker?
Steel cut oats, 10 minutes on the rice setting. And not the "quick" version either.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.