Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stemikger

Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by stemikger »

I was discussing this with friends last weekend and I was really hard pressed to come up with one but after some thought I did.

If I had to pick one it would be:

An Officer and a Gentleman with Richard Gere and Debra Winger (1982).

Would love to hear if anyone else has that one special movie they can call their favorite.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
mhalley

Re: Is it possible to have a favorite movie

Post by mhalley »

I think everyone has several favorite movies. You might have your favorite comedy (Young Frankenstein), Your favorite action movie (Pulp Fiction), your favorite SciFi (Blade Runner), your favorite Classic (Casablana). Depending on your mood, you will have lots of favorites.
The great thing is, they might be filming your next favorite RIGHT NOW!
Mike
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

It very much depends on what I'm in the mood for. I can enjoy some pretty "dumb" movies.
I do like the (true) story / movie of "Lorenzo's Oil"
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

Defending Your LIfe.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Indiana Jones(all of them)

John
Toons

Post by Toons »

Yes it is,I have seen countless movies over the decades and Das Boot still ranks as my favorite. :happy

http://www.netflix.com/search/das%20boot
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

MarkS wrote:The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
I have never seen this classic but I was just talking to my Cousin and this movie came up. Definitely one I will be watching soon. Thanks for weighing in.
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Toons wrote:Yes it is,I have seen countless movies over the decades and Das Boot still ranks as my favorite. :happy

Thanks for the link Toons.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Yes. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Tough call, but probably Amores Perros for me.
Toons

Post by Toons »

stemikger wrote:
Toons wrote:Yes it is,I have seen countless movies over the decades and Das Boot still ranks as my favorite. :happy

Thanks for the link Toons.

Thanks Stem,,,I will probably watch it again today!Like you have seen it so many times,never tire of it :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

Yes, Fletch.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Erwin007 wrote:Yes, Fletch.
Man at door: I'm from the CIA.
Fletch: How do you spell that?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Most favorite: Godfather II. There are several close seconds.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

:) My first movie date with DW was Cabaret in 1972. Both DW and Movie are still favorites :happy
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Vision Quest". Most have never heard of it, most people I've watched it with (including my wife) think it is a terrible 80's movie, but I grew up wrestling and we watched it at least once a week for years and I share a ton of traits with the main character.
SorenK

Post by SorenK »

Groundhog Day. It encourages me to improve myself.
MoneyMythsSolved

Post by MoneyMythsSolved »

The Thing (John Carpenter's 1982 version) or Pulp Fiction - love them both equally, nothing else comes close.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Any movie that was on that Critically Acclaimed Movie That You Did Not Like thread.
Gordon
spectec

Post by spectec »

Dr Zhivago
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Blade Runner

A fondness for it was part of what got my spouse interested in me ;-). It is not, rewatching it, a perfect movie. But it has many, many moments of near perfection. To find as thoughtful a science fiction movie, again, you have to go to Gattacca, say.

Unsurprisingly, perhaps, my next favourite movie is probably The Big Sleep. Since Blade Runner is very much an homage to film noir, that's probably why. One of the things TBS is better than BR is that Bogart and Bacall actually were an item, and later married- -they steam when they are on screen together. Whereas Harrison Ford and Sean Young weren't speaking to each other by the end of filming-- so the relationship with Rachel has an oddly stilted character to it (which fits with some of the underlying themes of the movie).
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

The Godfather. Followed up by Part II.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I'm of the firm opinion that the likelihood that someone has a strongly expressed favorite movie is correlated strongly with whether the person saw it at a time when they were particularly impressionable: either during adolescence, or some other meaningful time in one's life.

I saw Die Hard when I was 12 and more than 25 years later it's still my favorite movie.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

It's a wonderful life. I love all the up's and down's in it. I also like how one man's life has so much meaning in it.
sans souliers

Post by sans souliers »

Favorite movie AND favorite book -- To Kill A Mockingbird
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

My two favorites of all time have both been mentioned:

Das Boot

Groundhog Day

I owned both in VHS format, and later bought the DVDs.

My third favorite was 101 Dalmations (the original animated version where the husband is a songwriter).
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Found Das Boot on Netflix. Director's Cut is 3 hours and 28 minutes of reading subtitles. I couldn't talk my wife into that one.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

2001, a Space Odyssey .

I wasn't even born when it was released, but I find nothing else that comes close. So I don't have a number 2 favorite movie.

The story, setting, and especially the dialogue with HAL 9000 - everything is just perfect.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I have a lot of movies that I love for various aspects but none of them stand out for me as THE favorite. From all of them I think that Sophie's Choice was the movie that moved me the most.
detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu »

I have many favorites but one that particularly comes to mind is "Big" - Tom Hanks and Elizabeth Perkins.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/

Maybe it was the age when I watched it that I liked it. Still my favorite.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

My favorites have varied over time, except for ....

"The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938) and "The Sea Hawk" (1940) because I loved them as a kid and love them still.

"How Green Was My Valley" (1941) has always been a keeper. I had the good fortune to attend a Directors Guild screening of the film in 1972 with director John Ford and most of the cast in attendance. (I was an E-3 in the Navy and a buddy got me in.) They showed an original nitrate print and the black-and-white images up on the silver screen were vivid.

And I've always been crazy about "1776" (the musical), even though only a handful of friends share my enthusiasm.

Newer favorites come and go.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Is the question whether it's possible to have the all-time favorite film? Or to tell what the film is?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

West Side Story came out when I was a young teen. We went to see it every weekend for several weeks running. Over the years I continued to see it in theaters whenever I had the chance. Stopped counting at around 22 times. Once in Paris sat through two showings. (It was a very popular film in France.) Needless to say I had the VHS. Got the DVD and then got the 50th anniversary DVD set a few years ago -- after attending the special 50th anniversary special event showing at a local theater. I guess that would make it an indisputable favorite, although I can't remember the last time I watched it at home.
grossbg

Post by grossbg »

stoptothink wrote:"Vision Quest". Most have never heard of it, most people I've watched it with (including my wife) think it is a terrible 80's movie, but I grew up wrestling and we watched it at least once a week for years and I share a ton of traits with the main character.
Ahh a fellow wrestler. Very few understand the greatness of Vision quest. Excited about Foxcatcher!?" I sure am!

I'm going to drop to 168 and wrestle Shute"
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

No Shawshank votes yet?

I've always been fond of Scent of a Woman.
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

stoptothink wrote:"Vision Quest". Most have never heard of it, most people I've watched it with (including my wife) think it is a terrible 80's movie, but I grew up wrestling and we watched it at least once a week for years and I share a ton of traits with the main character.
LOL. I remember Vision Quest. If my memory serves me right, Madonna had a cameo where she was singing in a club? There is something to be said about these cheesy coming of age 80s movies. If you grew up with them, they definitely hold a special place in your heart.
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

detroitbabu wrote:I have many favorites but one that particularly comes to mind is "Big" - Tom Hanks and Elizabeth Perkins.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/

Maybe it was the age when I watched it that I liked it. Still my favorite.
You definitely are on to something. I think if you watch that special movie at a time in your life where you are still exploring and have so much hope and are still pretty wide eyed and innocent, these movies can almost become like a real family memory. That is why I love Officer and a Gentelman so much. I just graduated high school and was pretty carefree and totally identified with Richard Gere's character and was also totally in love with Debra Winger. I wanted to be like him and have a girlfriend like her and was up for adventure and wanted to do big things.

Till this day, I still have my favorite scene and thanks to Netflix I have replayed it numerous times.
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

VictoriaF wrote:Is the question whether it's possible to have the all-time favorite film? Or to tell what the film is?

Victoria
Sorry about this, your the second person to address why I didn't answer my own post. Feel free to go in the other direction if you like. However, I'm still finding it pretty interesting and due to streaming I'm making a list from all the great suggestions.
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

gkaplan wrote:Any movie that was on that Critically Acclaimed Movie That You Did Not Like thread.
LOL. Just pick one. :oops: :beer

Oh, you were being sarcastic. LOL. For the record, It did give me a chuckle. :D
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

stemikger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Is the question whether it's possible to have the all-time favorite film? Or to tell what the film is?

Victoria
Feel free to go in the other direction if you like.
My answer to the question in the title of the thread, i.e., "Is it possible to have a favorite movie," is as follows:

It is possible but it's irrational. Dan Ariely uses a term "coherent arbitrariness" to describe phenomena in which you make the initial choice arbitrarily, repeat the same choice the 2nd time because it worked the 1st time, and by induction repeat this choice the (N+1)st time because it worked the Nth time.

You really like Film X. Shortly afterwards someone asks for your all-time favorite film, and without much thinking, you say "Film X." Soon you are asked the same question and you give the same answer. After saying several times that Film X is your all-time favorite, it becomes strongly planted in your consciousness. As time goes on, you enjoy other films, and Film Y is objectively more enjoyable than Film X. "Objectively" in this context means that if I did fMRI of your brain while you were watching these films, the pleasure centers would be more active during Film Y. But you still automatically assume that Film X is "the one."

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I am basically a reader, but my imagination is limited, and I therefore enjoy well-done movie adaptations that add an extra feeling of reality to the imagined world of the book. I therefore have a special fondness for filmmakers who seem to have experienced the book the same way I did, and managed to bring their vision to the screen--not necessarily faithfulness in detail, but in spirit. (There is not one single Disney movie that does this, not one--some of Disney's adaptations are good original works in themselves but when it comes to capturing the spirit of the original, they don't even seem to be trying. Alice in Wonderland would be a prime example of that. There is only one moment in that whole film that captures the spirit, and it is when someone at the Mad Tea-Party asks "Would you like a cup of tea?" and the other says "Thanks, I only want half a cup," and they slice the cup vertically with a knife). (I've yet to see ANY adaptation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland--that captures my understanding of Alice's personality; in the adaptations she always seems bland, passive, and goody-goody, while to me, Lewis Carroll's Alice seems to be tart, subversive and critical toward adults and the adult world).

My favorite screen adaptation is Tom Jones (Albert Finney and Susannah York), particularly brilliant in capturing the spirit and "tone of voice" as I experienced them, without adhering particularly to the plot. LOVE the fox hunt sequence. My wife hates the movie and if I'm going to watch it I have to wait for her to be out of the house. Susannah York, mmm mmm good. I keep telling my wife I would be OK with her ogling Albert Finney (at whatever age he was in the 1960s) but she apparently does not care for Albert FInney.

I have to say though that the 2006 movie of Charlotte's Web--how the heck do you refer to it? "Starring" Julia Roberts as the voice of Charlotte? Or starring Dakota Fanning? is a close second.

Of course one problem with movie adaptations is that the movie vision overwrites and erases whatever personal pictures I may previously have had in my head.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye »

Fiddler On The Roof.
"So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

VictoriaF wrote:
stemikger wrote:

Victoria
Feel free to go in the other direction if you like.
My answer to the question in the title of the thread, i.e., "Is it possible to have a favorite movie," is as follows:

It is possible but it's irrational. Dan Ariely uses a term "coherent arbitrariness" to describe phenomena in which you make the initial choice arbitrarily, repeat the same choice the 2nd time because it worked the 1st time, and by induction repeat this choice the (N+1)st time because it worked the Nth time.

You really like Film X. Shortly afterwards someone asks for your all-time favorite film, and without much thinking, you say "Film X." Soon you are asked the same question and you give the same answer. After saying several times that Film X is your all-time favorite, it becomes strongly planted in your consciousness. As time goes on, you enjoy other films, and Film Y is objectively more enjoyable than Film X. "Objectively" in this context means that if I did fMRI of your brain while you were watching these films, the pleasure centers would be more active during Film Y. But you still automatically assume that Film X is "the one."

Victoria
Victoria, my daughter could have written this. She is a psychology major. It is very interesting, but I still say my favorite film of all time is Officer and a Gentleman or maybe it's Fame, wait did I mention. . . oh forget it!
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

nisiprius wrote:I am basically a reader, but my imagination is limited, and I therefore enjoy well-done movie adaptations that add an extra feeling of reality to the imagined world of the book. I therefore have a special fondness for filmmakers who seem to have experienced the book the same way I did, and managed to bring their vision to the screen--not necessarily faithfulness in detail, but in spirit. (There is not one single Disney movie that does this, not one--some of Disney's adaptations are good original works in themselves but when it comes to capturing the spirit of the original, they don't even seem to be trying. Alice in Wonderland would be a prime example of that. There is only one moment in that whole film that captures the spirit, and it is when someone at the Mad Tea-Party asks "Would you like a cup of tea?" and the other says "Thanks, I only want half a cup," and they slice the cup vertically with a knife). (I've yet to see ANY adaptation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland--that captures my understanding of Alice's personality; in the adaptations she always seems bland, passive, and goody-goody, while to me, Lewis Carroll's Alice seems to be tart, subversive and critical toward adults and the adult world).

My favorite screen adaptation is Tom Jones (Albert Finney and Susannah York), particularly brilliant in capturing the spirit and "tone of voice" as I experienced them, without adhering particularly to the plot. LOVE the fox hunt sequence. My wife hates the movie and if I'm going to watch it I have to wait for her to be out of the house. Susannah York, mmm mmm good. I keep telling my wife I would be OK with her ogling Albert Finney (at whatever age he was in the 1960s) but she apparently does not care for Albert FInney.

I have to say though that the 2006 movie of Charlotte's Web--how the heck do you refer to it? "Starring" Julia Roberts as the voice of Charlotte? Or starring Dakota Fanning? is a close second.

Of course one problem with movie adaptations is that the movie vision overwrites and erases whatever personal pictures I may previously have had in my head.
Good points and agree with them, but let's not forget who Disney's target audience is. Having said that, I'm still traumatized over Bambi's Mom.

It would be great to see Alice portrayed that way, but movies have become more of a business than an art. That is why all these superhero remakes are so popular. I hate them all.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

L.A. Confidential :beer
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

grossbg wrote:
Ahh a fellow wrestler. Very few understand the greatness of Vision quest. Excited about Foxcatcher!?" I sure am!

I'm going to drop to 168 and wrestle Shute"
Foxcatcher comes out November 14th, our anniversary is the next day. My wife isn't very excited about that part of the evening.
kenner

Post by kenner »

"Saving Private Ryan".

Steven Spielberg's remarkable capture of the worst and best aspects of human nature.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

can't answer off the top of head what my current favorite is.

for the longest time -- years and years -- it was annie hall. but its no longer my current favorite since i've seen it so many times.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

I said It's a wonderful life but it was a close call between it and Ben Hur.