Treadmills [vs. Ellipticals]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Fisherman

Treadmills [vs. Ellipticals]

Post by Fisherman »

Any body bought a new treadmill or elliptical recently? I am looking for a good quality one. I appreciate suggestions for both, Kids play tennis and they prefer treadmill and my wife likes elliptical.

Thank you all
lightheir

Re: Treadmills

Post by lightheir »

Sole f80 is a workhorse, used by many. 1400ish
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

Our last treadmill died or at least it cost as much to have it repaired as to put it out to pasture.

I can not run anymore, so we bought a Nordic Track XII i incline trainer and we are very happy with it. ( please check for Internet discounts and they will set it up for your and take your old tread mill away for you).

We also have a elliptical and that is less stress on your joints.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

If you are looking for quality and not afraid to pay for it, True Fitness makes excellent fitness equipment.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Another endorsement for the Sole F80.

I have over 2,400 miles on ours. Trouble free.
Topic Author
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Thank you all, I also heard good things about Sole
island

Post by island »

We have a Precor treadmill and elliptical that get heavy use and both have been great, trouble free, worth the cost.
Topic Author
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Thanks Island. How is the precor elliptical's leg length stride. Is it comfortable for both males and females, thanks
Topic Author
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Anybody using AFG ellipticals? consumer reports has good rating on it
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

Another vote for Sole. Would definitely recommend.
island

Post by island »

Fisherman wrote:Thanks Island. How is the precor elliptical's leg length stride. Is it comfortable for both males and females, thanks
Hmmm good question, but not sure I'm the best judge because I don't use it that much. I can tell you that when I do use it, the stride is not awkward for me. I just prefer the treadmill and bike ( we have a LifeCycle) over the elliptical because I can zone out easier on those. My husband uses the treadmill and elliptical equally and he goes hard. I'm 5'7", he's 6'1" if that helps.

We bought all our equipment from local authorized dealers so had plenty of time to try the equipment out in the store. Had the treadmill for a few years before the elliptical and stayed with the same brand because we were happy with the quality of the treadmill.
Topic Author
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Regarding the sole f80, is it a folding treadmill and how much space does it save?

Thanks island
Laren

Post by Laren »

I'm interested in a quiet treadmill - is there such a thing? My current one is probably 15 years old and is very loud. I'd love one that I could actually hear the television over without cranking the volume to maximum. Thanks for any advice!
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Sole f 80 as well, only wish it had a numeric keypad for faster changing if speed and incline.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

DireWolf wrote:If you are looking for quality and not afraid to pay for it, True Fitness makes excellent fitness equipment.
True.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
IPer

Post by IPer »

I have always liked the feel of the Precor and hated something about each and every other elliptical I have tried, could be just me.
Top of the line Precor - $6-7K
I saw a Precor EFX 546i used on Amazon for $1750 I believe this was the last model Precor I tried, excellent machine.
Read the Wiki Wiki !
Topic Author
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

The gym i used to go to had Precors and like you said they are good, the ones in the gym are expe sive like you said
Bracket

Post by Bracket »

I've had a Sole Elliptical for 5 or 6 years. No problems at all, use it 3-5 times per week.
meaghansketch

Post by meaghansketch »

I bought a Proform 2000 for around $1300 in March, so I haven't had it that long, but am pretty happy with it so far. Feels sturdy, not too loud (I do have to crank the volume on the TV, but to 40 out of 100 when I usually watch it at ~20). It is usually used 4-6 times a week between my roommate and myself. I checked the reviews on Runner's World and elsewhere before buying and it seemed to be a good value for the money.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Running outside during winter doesn't hold the same allure as it used to. I need to find one before the prices go up.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I purchased a Lifespan from Amazon for $1000 18 months ago. Still use it daily. I don't run, but I do walk 2-4 miles/day.

http://www.amazon.com/LifeSpan-TR-1200i ... +treadmill

I'd buy it again. It's not fancy, it's not expensive, but it does the job.

DH runs and has run on it and likes it. He prefers outdoors though.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Laren wrote:I'm interested in a quiet treadmill - is there such a thing? My current one is probably 15 years old and is very loud. I'd love one that I could actually hear the television over without cranking the volume to maximum. Thanks for any advice!
Blue tooth headphones and a blue tooth transmitter plugged into the TV would be a lot cheaper than a quiet treadmill!
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

BuckyBadger wrote:
Laren wrote:I'm interested in a quiet treadmill - is there such a thing? My current one is probably 15 years old and is very loud. I'd love one that I could actually hear the television over without cranking the volume to maximum. Thanks for any advice!
Blue tooth headphones and a blue tooth transmitter plugged into the TV would be a lot cheaper than a quiet treadmill!
I have used my Sony noise reduction headphones on some treadmills- works great.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

lightheir wrote:Sole f80 is a workhorse, used by many. 1400ish
+1. I bought one from Dicks a few years ago on sale. These are high quality machines that will last.
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

Can anyone share what they paid for the Sole f80? Amazon is asking $1,500.00 free shipping.

Thanks,

K.I.S.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Keep It Simple wrote:Can anyone share what they paid for the Sole f80? Amazon is asking $1,500.00 free shipping.

Thanks,

K.I.S.
I waited for a sale 3 years ago and had mine for $1400 shipped, and I paid another $100 for the in-house install. The amazon price you have is a fair price - you can probably get it for $100-$200 less if you wait for a sale (black Friday?) but it's pretty much the standard price.
cldrunner

Post by cldrunner »

I have had a SOLE f80 from Dicks for about 4 years. It has been a very good treadmill for me. It has large button for changing speed 2,4,6,10,12mph. This is a very nice feature that are not on many treadmills. The F80 has a longer deck for those that have longer strides. Just as good or better than any commercial treadmill that I have used in hotels. I fold mine up and down for every run. I would fit in a 3X3X6ft tall cube when the deck is up. It would probably be fairly easy to move around on a hardwood floor but do not plan on moving it on carpet.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I think I paid around $1250 for my Sole F80 from Sears on sale. It was an end-of-year model.

$1400 seems to be the going rate.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Good to hear about the Proform Line. I may soon drop some money on the Proform Thinline model.

Thanks, BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

Have 2008 version Precor 9.27. It's durable, reliable, simple/straightforward use. Would buy it again. But so far seems like its going to last forever.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Fisherman wrote:Any body bought a new treadmill or elliptical recently? I am looking for a good quality one. I appreciate suggestions for both, Kids play tennis and they prefer treadmill and my wife likes elliptical.

Thank you all
Two and a half years ago I bought a SOLE which I bought at Sears. I paid $1,000 it was on sale. I am very happy with it. I went with that brand because they scored very high in Consumer Reports.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

Lots of recs for the Sole treadmills, but what about the elliptical ? What are pros and cons of the various elliptical models ?
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

RustyShackleford wrote:Lots of recs for the Sole treadmills, but what about the elliptical ? What are pros and cons of the various elliptical models ?
I'm not a fan of ellipticals. I know they are supposed to be easier on the joints but they hurt my knees. I would definitely go with a treadmill over an elliptical. If you do decide to go with the elliptical, see if you can workout on one for a month or so. I can't imagine me doing that long term, whereas the treadmill I'm on every day.
Topic Author
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

It also depends on the type if elliptical, their stride length etc. They are supposed to be better than treadmills on joint strain
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

RustyShackleford wrote:Lots of recs for the Sole treadmills, but what about the elliptical ? What are pros and cons of the various elliptical models ?
Bought their e25 december 2012. I used it 2x 5 days a week and 1x 2 days a week (weekends are only 1x day). The alum rails cracked and I called and they sent me a new set. 11 months after I bought it later the display screen would lock up. They sent me a new display screen (did not fix problem) a few weeks later the tension motor went out. I checked my warranty and the motor had went out 2 weeks after warranty. I thought I was out of luck. I called CS. The guy guided me to a "contact us" web form on their site and suggested I email about my problems that they typically would replace it or send a tech out. I thought it was BS. What company would do that after warranty was up? Well, I emailed them. I few days later I get a return code and instructions. A week later ABF came to the door, dropped off a new unit and picked up the old one. Didn't cost me a penny. So, coming up on 1st year with replacement unit with no issues.

This thing gets used twice a day Mon-Fri and one time a day on weekends.

You have to tighten every bolt good and keep on them becasue you will develop small squeeks.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

Anyone use the sole f63? It's $400 or so less than f80
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

stemikger wrote:
I'm not a fan of ellipticals. I know they are supposed to be easier on the joints but they hurt my knees. I would definitely go with a treadmill over an elliptical. If you do decide to go with the elliptical, see if you can workout on one for a month or so. I can't imagine me doing that long term, whereas the treadmill I'm on every day.
That's interesting, as I've used both at gyms and strongly prefer elliptical. That being said, some gym models feel great to me and some feel weird. Guess I'll go to Dick's and try out the Sole.
TRC

Post by TRC »

Sole Fitness.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

saladdin wrote:Anyone use the sole f63? It's $400 or so less than f80
That's the model I own and I love it. I purchased it at Sears for $999. I bought it two years ago on sale, and then I saw the F80 for the same price six months later at a different store. It didn't really matter to me because I really like my treadmill and it has everything I need. After that, I saw the same model I own price range between $1,200 to $699. Definitely go to a few different stores to see if you can get it at that price.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

I have a Smooth Fitness treadmill- they compete with Sole I believe. Very happy with it - it folds up, but we have ours facing the TV (wife and I put on game of thrones or a movie and alternate using treadmill every 30min).

What I liked was that the basic model had everything I needed, was built like a tank, had a hefty warranty, and was reviewed well by customers. You'll sometimes find them with a special of free shipping and/or $100 off - just have to keep an eye out.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Treadmills [vs. Ellipticals]

Post by LadyGeek »

I have a Smooth Fitness elliptical trainer, Model CE, purchased in 2003 (11 years old). At the time, the company was local to me (in NJ) and they delivered it to my house. I can't say anything about the recent models, but the construction and quality of what I bought was excellent.

I do my own maintenance.

(I retitled the thread to include ellipticals.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

I just looked at smoothfitness web site, looks like they have good warranty as well

Thanks Lady geek
rixer

Post by rixer »

You can also join Crunch Gym for $9.99 a month and use all of their equipment and they maintain it.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We spent a fair amount of time in a local "showroom" of gym equipment before deciding.

We ended up getting 1 treadmill and 1 elliptical.

We had to deal with a slightly low-ceiling in the lower level family/media/exercise room, so that was a definite consideration: How high from the floor was the *highest* foot platform in any type of usage setting? That ruled out a few, especially assuming that DH (the taller of the two of us) might sort of "bounce" slightly when in a full running type mode, or if slanted in uphill setting.
Also had to make sure that for him, the stride wouldn't be pushing at the ends of the platform, etc.
And we made sure the "comfort" factor was as good as possible: handle positioning, cushioning, etc.
DH makes use of many of the "features" such as inclines and programmed "challenges".

For the elliptical, we ended up with an especially adjustable stride so that it could fit a full range for both of our uses.
We also found that the "backward" motion was a nice (and challenging) change.
I have trouble with joints and the pounding of running, so adding the elliptical wasn't really optional.

We had to have special new wiring put in to support both, but fortunately, it was only about 20 feet from the electrical panel, pretty much a straight shot along an installed baseboard heater from a previous owner's renovations.

I won't bother with the model/brand, as this was about 10 years ago, so the models are probably quite out of date.
They were rather expensive, sturdy models, and they've held up without a problem, knock on wood.

[These are among the things that "flood insurance" assumes we'll simply sling over our backs and trot upstairs in case of flooding... just one more reason to put in that generator...]

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

We recently purchased a NordicTrack Commercial 1750 ($1500) and it's the bomb. You often get what you pay for in treadmills, so depending on your purpose, you may need to spend a lot. For one, we prefer the dynamic action of being on a treadmill vs an elliptical, and of course, you also burn more calories. But here's the deal on treadmills, you're paying a lot for the motor. My wife is 120 lbs, I'm almost 200 lbs. The more you weight you stronger motor you need. If you're going to run vs walk, then you need stronger motor. If you are going to do long runs then you need a stronger motor than you would for doing short runs. You can get this info online, but what it comes down to is that for our purpose (200 lb doing marathon runs), we needed at least a 3.5 CHP (continuous horsepower) motor. The treadmill we got has a 3.8 motor, so it'll work perfectly for us. There are of course all the other bells and whistles, but the motor, that's really what you're paying for. Lastly, we needed a dual voltage treadmill, and the one we got is dual voltage. If you weigh 130 lbs and only want to walk, then you'll have cheaper options.

One way to get an idea of how good a treadmill is, is to look at the warranty. A one or two year warranty is cause for concern. The NordicTrack has a lifetime frame & motor warranty, 5-year parts and electronics warranty, 2 years labor.

There are a lot of good treadmills out there though, so take your time finding one you like!
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

Have you considered an adaptive motion trainer? It's like an elliptical, stairstepper, and treadmill all in one.

Look at the Precor AMT100i. It's very, very sweet. I use one at the gym all the time. I have a 36" inseam and the stride is great.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Interesting read.

Strikes me as an awful lot of money for a one dimensional machine, but it seems they are popular.

How about a descent riding machine. Are they any less expensive?

I would guess that an elliptical would be more reliable than a treadmill, is that true?
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Have any of you known anyone who used one of these combination treadmills/desks - from the video it looks fairly easy to alternate between running and walking.

http://www.proform.com/fitness/en/ProFo ... -treadmill

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Topic Author
Fisherman

Post by Fisherman »

Surfer life, what is the advantage of dual voltage for treadmills you mentioned
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Fisherman wrote:Surfer life, what is the advantage of dual voltage for treadmills you mentioned
Presumably, this was referring to the AC voltage of 110-120 vs 220-240 . The benefit would be to be able to use the treadmill in different countries without a transformer.