What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Valuethinker

Re: What Movie Have You [Recently] Watched?

Post by Valuethinker »

[edited confused Untouchables with Intouchables]
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

may have missed it already in this thread but

"Guardians of the Galaxy"

of the 2 superhero movies I did watch this summer, (the other was X Men Days of Future Past, which had some excellent acting, some good special effects, but was otherwise forgettable) this one was distinguished by some great dialogue and acting and its sound track of 1980s music (apparently due to rights royalties, that is *really* expensive for a movie to do).

If you want a popcorn movie that looks good on a big screen (I am no fan of 3D though), has some quite good acting and lines (amidst all the usual explosions and stereotyped characters and wooden acting) then I can recommend it. Also you don't need to know much about the Marvel Universe of characters-- the characters stand on themselves. That was different from say X Men where you really needed to know something of the backstory.

'I am Grew'

More than anything the film reminded me of, oddly, Back to the Future (but it wasn't of that quality)-- really the nod to 1980s nostalgia.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Gort wrote:"This Gun for Hire" made in 1946. Was on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) last night. TCM is great to catch some of the classics.
+1 on TCM. Whenever I catch a hotel room with TCM, I am glued.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Ged wrote:
bpp wrote:
joe8d wrote:a Japanese animation " Grave of the Fireflys " .
Haven't seen it, but knowing what it's about, it must be fairly depressing?
It is. It is also one of the best animated films ever made. 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. If you are willing to let a film evoke these sorts of feelings I would highly recommend it.

Read some reviews first. There are some strong cultural notes that make it easy to misunderstand the director's message.
Yes and Studio Ghibli has sadly gone into receivership.

They made exquisite films ('My Neighbour Totoro' is probably our favourite (and a genuine children's film; we also liked 'The Cat Returns' and 'Porco Rosso').

'The Wind also Rises' is Miyazaki's last film. Strongly criticized because it appears to glorify the designer of the Zero fighter (Miyazaki has a thing for old airplanes, steam driven things etc.). Haven't yet seen it.

Grave of the Fireflies is apparently their toughest -- I have not nerved myself to see it yet.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Recently saw Begin Again - highly recommend.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Jack Reacher (for the 3rd time)
Boyhood
Lucy
Get On Up
Begin Again
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

American Hustle
... for me, one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It also has a great sound track.
bpp

Post by bpp »

Valuethinker wrote:
Ged wrote:
bpp wrote:
It is. It is also one of the best animated films ever made. 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. If you are willing to let a film evoke these sorts of feelings I would highly recommend it.

Read some reviews first. There are some strong cultural notes that make it easy to misunderstand the director's message.
Yes and Studio Ghibli has sadly gone into receivership.
I didn't realize that!
They made exquisite films ('My Neighbour Totoro' is probably our favourite (and a genuine children's film; we also liked 'The Cat Returns' and 'Porco Rosso').

'The Wind also Rises' is Miyazaki's last film. Strongly criticized because it appears to glorify the designer of the Zero fighter (Miyazaki has a thing for old airplanes, steam driven things etc.). Haven't yet seen it.

Grave of the Fireflies is apparently their toughest -- I have not nerved myself to see it yet.
"Tonari no Totoro" is absolutely wonderful. Could probably even watch it again without any little kids to watch it with any more. Just an extraordinarily warm film.

Have to admit that other Studio Ghibli films have all left me a bit cold. I can even appreciate some of the steampunkish geek nostalgia behind Kurenai Buta/Porco Rosso, but as a meaningful film... Well, perhaps I have to admit anime is not really my thing.

But, I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet. Will keep an eye out for it next time it comes on. Sounds worthwhile. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone who has weighed in on it.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

My favorite movies that I have seen in 2014 came out in 2013.
Prisoners
Short Term 12
Drinking Buddies
12 Years a Slave

The big blockbusters have generally been very good this summer: Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men: Days of Future Past, new Captain America, Godzilla, Edge of Tomorrow.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 »

We watched "Pain & Gain" by Michael Bay over the weekend. The movie is based on a true story and stars "The Rock" and Mark Wahlberg and is based in Miami, FL. We enjoyed the movie and would recommend it or watch it again.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Levett

Post by Levett »

Recently saw Calvary at the cinema--fine film but could be tough to watch--and The Attack on Netflix, another superb but difficult film to watch (it's better than the novel).

Guess it's time to watch The Hundred-Foot Journey. :wink:

Lev
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Valuethinker wrote:'I am Grew'
Groot
HomerJ

Re: Ghostbusters

Post by HomerJ »

Valuethinker wrote:
madbrain wrote:30th anniversary, remastered in 4K. Just came back from it.

We were a grand total of 4 people (!) in a gigantic XD theater.

I was redeeming some Cinemark prepaid tickets bought at Costco.

The XD is supposed to be extra charge for their premium XD with leather seats, but the clerk didn't know much extra to charge when I redeemed them.

So we got in for no extra. Our printed tickets say "XD senior $7.50". I'm only 38, and not early-retired yet ;).
Oh wow!

'Let's show this b****h how we do things downtown'

'Lennie. This is your opportunity to save the lives of millions of .... registered voters'.

'He slimed me'.

Harold Ramis did a lot of research into extra sensory phenomena and put it into the movie. Although personally they fell out pretty badly I gather, the Ramis-Murray combination (Groundhog Day) was amazingly creative.

It's a pity about the second one. And therefore I am ambivalent that the 3rd was never made.
You can't quote Ghostbusters without mentioning "Total protonic reversal" (as a former nuclear engineer, I especially like that phrase)

Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Peter Venkman: What?
Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Venkman: Why?
Spengler: It would be bad.
Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

:) :)
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Last movie seen in a theater: Boyhood. I'll add to the existing glowing recommendations. Not a perfect movie (Linklater's "Before" triology is better, IMHO), but an astounding work that, in a just world, will at least get a Best-Director nomination. Worth seeing in the theaters, where you're forced to take it all in during a single, uninterrupted sitting.

Last movie streamed: Somm. Watched it just last night. A documentary following four people studying for and taking the insanely difficult "Master Sommelier" exam. A must-see if you're a wine enthusiast. Probably of only marginal interest if you're not.

Last movie rented on physical DVD: The Lego Movie. Funny, enjoyable, and very smart and clever. Recommended! It throws you a bit of a curveball near the end that I didn't think they could make work... but they did, and it was amazing. (And it didn't hurt that one of the "supporting characters" was a Lego set that I actually used to have back in the '80s. :D )
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

JupiterJones wrote:... and it was amazing.
I believe the word you are looking for is "Awsome!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
RobertAlanK

Re: Ghostbusters

Post by RobertAlanK »

Valuethinker wrote:
Harold Ramis did a lot of research into extra sensory phenomena and put it into the movie. Although personally they fell out pretty badly I gather, the Ramis-Murray combination (Groundhog Day) was amazingly creative.
I recall reading that Bill Murray visited Harold Ramis not long before Ramis died and that they reconciled. I don't think they had communicated with each other since shortly after Groundhog Day.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Boyhood
Last edited by market timer on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I watched First Position on Netflix last night. I wanted to see it when it first came out several years ago, but it opened and closed in one week at my local theater, and I never got the chance to see it.

The movie is an excellent documentary of an annual youth competition for contracts to elite ballet companies or scholarships to elite ballet schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Position
Gordon
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Recently saw and enjoyed "The Hundred Foot journey." "Chef" was pretty good too.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

I am a poor judge of movies - all my girlfriends can back me up on that. My utterly unsophisticated rules are 1. did I like the story being told and 2. do I still remember the synopsis after a month?

Watched "Eight below" last month and it fit the bill. It didn't have a strong plot and had only sub-par acting. But it made me cry my guts out. Go figure!
bstewartny

Post by bstewartny »

Chef - especially for foodies...
ginyah

Post by ginyah »

Loved Guardians of the Galaxy. Was surprised that when I took my grandson to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that I actually enjoyed that one also.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Valuethinker wrote: Yes and Studio Ghibli has sadly gone into receivership.
Ugh. I have been trying to block out that traumatic news.
Valuethinker wrote: They made exquisite films ('My Neighbour Totoro' is probably our favourite ...)
They were brilliant. That is the only description that's fair. As far as Totoro goes there are occasional comments out on the internet that the Fanning dub is not as good as the original, however I haven't been able to identify where to get such a version - yet.
Last edited by Ged on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
meaghansketch

Post by meaghansketch »

Lucy- Not great but better than I expected (I expected it would be dumb; it was dumb but fun)

12 Angry Men (Netflix) An interesting and quite good movie, and one that sent me to the internet to look up the history of women on juries in the US.
DesertOasis

Post by DesertOasis »

I would recommend the following small budget films I saw over the summer:

Begin Again
Land Ho
Chef
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Guardians of the Galaxy
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

For ALL Mankind: Special Edition, 1989. it's about the Apollo missions. Recommended.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

Throw Momma from the Train

An oldie but a goodie
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Last movie I saw was Spirited Away, also by Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli. I really enjoyed it.

I want to go see the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo (although tickets unless you go for touts online are hard to come by) so am trying to familiarize myself with all the stuff they've done. Maybe Castle in the Sky next, or one of the ones listed upthread.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Christmas in July (1940) - Dick Powell. If you want to laugh and watch an old movie at the same time, this is the movie to watch.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
sailfish2

Post by sailfish2 »

I like documentaries a lot. I watched Life Itself about Roger Ebert - touching and inspiring.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Magic in the Moonlight

Excellent setting, superb acting and music, and
the twist at the end is a delight. Stars Colin Firth
and Emma Stone.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We watched "Goodbye World" on Netflix. About a virus the takes down the energy grid for years. Not a bad movie but one that really makes you think in today's electronic device dependent world.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We are watching "Carlos" on Netflix. A true story of the terrorist during the 1970's and the OPEC meetings. Interesting.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

Ged wrote:
Valuethinker wrote: Yes and Studio Ghibli has sadly gone into receivership.
Ugh. I have been trying to block out that traumatic news.
I hadn't heard about this, and after looking up new articles, I don't think they are actually closing, just taking a break in production.(A common event with Japanese animation studios, apparently) I think the bigger issue is Miyazaki's retirement. Most people don't expect nearly as much from the studio now that he is gone. I've seen most of his movies(I haven't seen The Wind Rises yet, but I've heard good things about it), and I am definitely a fan of his work. Some of the other Studio Ghibli films, not so much.
Feb29

Post by Feb29 »

"In a World" is an intelligent and entertaining look at the voice-over business in contemporary Los Angeles.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

bpp wrote:
Depressing doesn't begin to describe it.
Milo

Post by Milo »

For those who like action movies and have Netflix:

1. "The Numbers Station" starring John Cusack
2. "Grosse Pointe Blank" starring John Cusack
3. "Homefront" starring Jason Statham
4. "Safe" starring Jason Statham
5. "Jack Reacher" starring Tom Cruise , watched it 2 or 3 times, don't know why, good movie, don't like him, almost didn't watch it.
6. "The Last Stand" starring Awwwwnold
7. "Parker" starring Jason Statham and Jennifer Lopez, a retelling of the Mel Gibson movie
8. "Erased" starring Aaron Eckhart
9. "Shooter" starring Mark Wahlberg

That's enough I guess. :happy I've given all these 4 or 5 stars on Netflix. Netflix' suggestions algorithm is great. I'd never have heard of some of these movies otherwise.
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

Just watched "Django Unchained" - it was ok.

I will next be watching "3:10 to Yuma" which I hear is very good.

Honorable mentions...if you haven't seen these yet, you must:

"Kingpin" - comedy
"Dumb and Dumber" - comedy
"Anchorman" - comedy
"Lincoln Lawyer" - suspense
"The Ring" - horror

Enjoy!

K.I.S.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Lon wrote:Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
Hi Lon,

I wanted to see that movie. Was it good?
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

Forgot to ask...has anyone seen "No Country For Old Men"? Is it any good?

Thanks,

K.I.S.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Keep It Simple wrote:Forgot to ask...has anyone seen "No Country For Old Men"? Is it any good?
Yes, and yes.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
chaz

Post by chaz »

Bustoff wrote:American Hustle
... for me, one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It also has a great sound track.
I liked it very much.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Post by chaz »

Keep It Simple wrote:Forgot to ask...has anyone seen "No Country For Old Men"? Is it any good?

Thanks,

K.I.S.
Excellent.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Post by chaz »

[quote="Keep It Simple"]Forgot to ask...has anyone seen "No Country For Old Men"? Is it any good?

Thanks,

K.I.
Last edited by chaz on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I liked "The Wolf of Wall Street".
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

No Country For Old Men is an excellent movie. Watch it.

I just watched (because it just came out on cable) "Saving Mr. Banks". The story of how Walt Disney convinced the writer of Mary Poppins to let him film the movie. She was determined it would never be put on film, and he was just as determined to do it. Normally not my kind of money, but for some reason I watched it. Absolutely superb. Tom Hanks does a decent job as WD, and Emma Thompson is Oscar worthy as P.L. Travers (the author). Well written, excellent acting. Give it 8.5/10 stars.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson