Subaru Blues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Browser

Subaru Blues

Post by Browser »

Been contemplating the purchase of a new vehicle and considering the Subarus. Just learned of an acquaintance who owns one that is 2 years old with 19K miles (sedan, not sure which model). Seems that while driving, the dash status lights all lit up and began flashing and the steering went fuzzy. She parked it and was unable to move the auto transmission, as the status lights remained lit up and flashing wildly. Car had to be towed. She had previously owned a Suby that had all kinds of problems also, but defied her spouse and common sense by buying another one; now she's in the do-do. Any similar tales of woe regarding the Suby? I'm wondering what sort of problem would cause these symptoms. It's now on my "Do Not Buy" list after hearing this narrative.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Toons

Re: Subaru Blues

Post by Toons »

Consider a Toyota or Honda :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

Subaru gained a following early with their 4wd models that were compact and modestly priced. I think they did a good job for what they were.

I still have a subaru legacy outback from the late 90s that is at a second home location. It gets very good highway mileage at about 29-30. It wasn't as good in the snow as you'd have expected because it was light.

And the overall quality was not up to the Toyota standard ( I've owned six different toyota models). Subaru seemed to have more of the issues with little things coming loose on the trim, weatherstripping, etc. I didn't have any issues with drivetrain, engine or transmission though, (but it only has about 35K miles on it).
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Have had close to a dozen Subarus in the (extended) family for the past 15+ years, next to no issues with them. They last forever. You can get a lemon with any brand.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

To add an opposing anecdote, I've driven a Subaru for nine years with precisely zero issues.

I have kept up with appropriate maintenance items, oil changes, etc...

Love the car.
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

We've driven the same Subaru Outback wagon for 13 years now (bought it new in 2001). After 85,000 miles, all the important elements are still going strong — engine, manual transmission, drive train.

We've had a few minor maintenance issues over the years — replacing a faulty oxygen sensor, a worn clutch plate and a windshield fluid pump (twice!). But, overall, it's been a very dependable vehicle that performs well in the snow and ice in our region. Our sense is that, after a couple of decades of building all-wheel drive vehicles, Subaru has the formula down pretty well. It's certainly not the highest quality, all-wheel drive car on the market — but it's a good value for what you get, in our experience.
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

Consumer Reports gives Subarus very high marks. My wife and I each bought new Subaru Foresters in 2004 and have never had a problem with either. Neither one has been back to the dealership since the respective purchase although we have always had routine maintenance (e.g., oil changes, tire rotations) done by a local independent mechanic. I say the less one has done to a new car, the better. Even the original windshield wipers are still in excellent shape. Your results of course could vary.

A tip on buying: once you test-drive the Subaru and decide what model and options you like, email all the Subaru dealers anywhere near you and invite them to bid on the car you want, listing the exact optional equipment you want. Then sit back in your den and wait for their "one best price." This simple process takes the hassle out of buying a new car and puts the buyer in the power-seat rather than playing the old games that sales staff (and their "managers") play.

Again, your results may vary. But there has to be a reason why Subaru is the fastest growing auto brand in America (with the exception of some newby electric car company).
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

The plural of anecdote is not data. The data from Consumer Reports and the like report that Subaru are reliable year after year after year. They also maintain value better than (nearly?) any brand, making them expensive compared to other comparable used cars.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I'm wondering what sort of problem would cause these symptoms.
I sounds like some sort of computer problem, it could be simple or complex but it should still be under warranty. I once had a different brand car with almost 50K miles totally die with a computer problem, but it was still covered under the emission warranty so I got it fixed for free.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Toons wrote:Consider a Toyota or Honda :happy

Browser, I wouldn't make any generalizations over an entire brand or even within a model. Look at Honda, which some here consider to be the gold-standard of reliability as noted by the comment I quoted above. Their first generation of SUV's (CRV, Pilot, Passport) were not that reliable, but improved with future developments. Moreover, most models undergo a major renovation every 4-6 years. Usually the quality improves towards the end of the cycle and it's riskier to buy a car in the beginning of the cycle. If you don't have a sub. to Consumer Reports, I suggest going for one or thumbing through it in your local library and heed their advice based on which model you are looking for.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

My wife has been driving an Impreza for 8 years and I drive a Legacy for 3. Zero issues except replacing my wifes battery which was due. Same with a friend who drives a forester and outback.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
gloomydog

Post by gloomydog »

What kind of weather will you be driving your car in?

I am in the NE, got an impreza as my 1st ever car 1.5 years ago and I've been very pleased with it - great winter car, great gas mileage, pretty comfortable. No complaints. Maintenance is probably important. Anyway there are different models, doesn't mean every subaru model is going to be equally good as the other!
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

Have 2011 Subaru, 40,000 miles, no problems, very satisfied.......Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches »

People with negative experiences are always going to piss and moan the loudest and will be sure to chime in. I have a 2011 Forester Limited I bought new that now has 56k miles on it. My vehicle has had ZERO issues with it beyond regularly scheduled maintenance. I'm thinking of just driving it into the ground after about 25 years and 350k miles. I love that car and feel like it is bullet-proof in terms of reliability. I believe that 90-some percent of Subarus made in the past 10 years are still on the road. They are generally considered very safe. Customer loyalty and satisfaction are among the highest in the industry. Resale value on them is excellent as well.

You can't go wrong with a Subaru.
hmw

Post by hmw »

We have a 2012 Subaru outback and have not had any problems at all. I guess one can get a lemon with any brand. I believe according to consumer report, the reliability of Subaru is comparable to that of Toyota and Honda.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

The only bad thing I've heard about Subarus is they have, or had, head gasket issues.

They may have resolved that problem by now, or not. Time will tell.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Sudden acceleration? Transmission failures? Some auto makers are better than others, but none of them is perfect.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

1. 2 yrs, 19K miles sounds like a warranty repair.
2, I find it interesting that CR gets mentioned without the suggestion to use their new car buying service.
3. Click and Clack always seemed to love Subaru.
Pale Blue Dot
denovo

Post by denovo »

4nursebee wrote: 2, I find it interesting that CR gets mentioned without the suggestion to use their new car buying service.
Car buying services like Costco's and CR's will never get you the best deal....
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

My relatives that own them are very happy with them. They have had two Outbacks and an Impreza. They said they plan to continue to buy them in the future.

K.I.S.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Consider the common factor to the two problem cars - the driver.

OP, is the acquaintance the type of person who is hard on a car - either by driving it hard, by failing to follow manufacturer's recommended maintenance, or even both?

Of course, it's possible that the person just rolled snake eyes at the car buying craps table twice in a row and got lemons, but you never know...
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Thing is, this Subaru owner apparently has rolled craps twice in a row with Subarus. The last one she owned was a bummer, but for some reason she thought that was a fluke and is getting stung again. Now, I'll bet her Subaru days are now over. Living vicariously through her experience, mine may be over before they started.
optimpessim

Post by optimpessim »

denovo wrote:

Moreover, most models undergo a major renovation every 4-6 years. Usually the quality improves towards the end of the cycle and it's riskier to buy a car in the beginning of the cycle. If you don't have a sub. to Consumer Reports, I suggest going for one or thumbing through it in your local library and heed their advice based on which model you are looking for.
I am preparing to buy a Legacy 2015. It has the features I want. A recent issue of Consumer Reports had positive comments about it but they had not yet tested it. I am trying to wait for those results but I need to get the car soon. It does scare me to be buying a car that has just been redesigned. If I choose a Toyota or Honda I'm afraid I will be forever dissatisfied. It is expected that this will be my last car purchase.

---Sally
leod

Post by leod »

The new Subaru's uses a different transmission from the older models, not sure how reliable are the new CVT's compared to the older ones. I read Nissan have issues with newer cars using the CVT transmission as well.

If I am buying a new vehicle, i'd stay away from CVT transmissions for now until they have shown reliability in the long run.
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

optimpessim wrote: If I choose a Toyota or Honda I'm afraid I will be forever dissatisfied.
Care to explain? This comment seems out in left field. Honda and Toyota are viewed by most as the overall most reliable vehicles you can buy.

K.I.S.
nbseer

Post by nbseer »

2003 Forester now with 212,000 miles.. had to have head gaskets replaced twice (!) , and now, various things are wearing out (wheel bearings) which I guess is to be expected. Now retired, don't have to drive 50 miles r-t every day, hope to get to 300,000 miles!

If you own a Subaru, make sure to get the Chase Subaru Mastercard, 3% back on every purchase.. after you spend enough, they send you a $100 coupon good for any service or purchase at a Subaru dealer. This has saved me thousands of dollars over the years.
Jeff7

Post by Jeff7 »

arf30 wrote:Have had close to a dozen Subarus in the (extended) family for the past 15+ years, next to no issues with them. They last forever. You can get a lemon with any brand.
Similar here.

My mom had a '92 Legacy up until about a year ago.
Perhaps 10 years ago it sustained a deer impact at 45mph (rural PA, driving at night, and the deer came stumbling down a steep embankment by the road) and she got the car repaired. I think it finally succumbed to rust damage. Such is the cost of living in the Rust Belt of the US. Nothing short of polished 316 stainless will last long under constant salt exposure.
She's got a 2011 Impreza now.

I have a 2012 Impreza. That's been working fine too. CVT transmission.
Once the car's 10 years old, maybe I'll update this post. ;)
(My previous car was 15 years old when I got rid of it. It also spent its entire life in the Rust Belt, and never knew the luxuries of a garage.)
Levett

Post by Levett »

Hiker NC wrote:

"A tip on buying: once you test-drive the Subaru and decide what model and options you like, email all the Subaru dealers anywhere near you and invite them to bid on the car you want, listing the exact optional equipment you want. Then sit back in your den and wait for their "one best price." This simple process takes the hassle out of buying a new car and puts the buyer in the power-seat rather than playing the old games that sales staff (and their "managers") play."

Yes in thunder!

Done this twice (two different locations) and it has worked fantastically well.

Also entirely agree with mlipps comment: "The plural of anecdote is not data."

Lev
maroon

Post by maroon »

I could be wrong, but I thought the Chase Subaru Mastercard has been discontinued. Anyone know for sure?
sunil_gulati

Post by sunil_gulati »

I am looking to buy a new car as well and read that Subaru's in general are reliable but one thing that concerned me was reviews which said that they have lot of road noise and a harsh ride.

I am planning to use that as a commuter car so a comfortable ride and quite cabin are important to me.

Any feedback on these factors ?
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

I once bit into an apple and found a worm.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Browser wrote: It's now on my "Do Not Buy" list after hearing this narrative.
I would say that every single brand and every single model should be on your list, then. Any car can have a problem or breakdown.

FWIW, I have a 2011 Subaru Legacy and have had zero problems over 3.5 years and 39k miles.
Consider a Toyota or Honda :happy
Having also owned several Hondas and Toyotas, I consider Subaru to be similar in reliability. The high residual values in the used car market indicate that most used car buyers think the same way.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

sunil_gulati wrote:I am looking to buy a new car as well and read that Subaru's in general are reliable but one thing that concerned me was reviews which said that they have lot of road noise and a harsh ride.

I am planning to use that as a commuter car so a comfortable ride and quite cabin are important to me.

Test drive and decide for yourself. Quietness and ride characteristics (I won't use the term "harsh ride", as one person's "harsh" is another's "responsive") vary depending on generation, trim level, wheel diameter and tire model, so it's foolish to talk about a manufacturer's entire product line in such a manner.

FWIW, I'm satisfied with how quiet my Subaru is.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Keep It Simple wrote:
optimpessim wrote: If I choose a Toyota or Honda I'm afraid I will be forever dissatisfied.
Care to explain? This comment seems out in left field. Honda and Toyota are viewed by most as the overall most reliable vehicles you can buy.

K.I.S.
I'll let optimpessim explain for himself, but I've never really liked any Toyota well enough to buy it. My wife has owned several, but the lack of responsiveness and any level of "fun to drive" has kept me from buying a Toyota. I've always found Mazdas and Hondas (and now Subaru) to be better choices.
sunil_gulati

Post by sunil_gulati »

deanbrew wrote:
sunil_gulati wrote:I am looking to buy a new car as well and read that Subaru's in general are reliable but one thing that concerned me was reviews which said that they have lot of road noise and a harsh ride.

Test drive and decide for yourself. Quietness and ride characteristics (I won't use the term "harsh ride", as one person's "harsh" is another's "responsive") vary depending on generation, trim level, wheel diameter and tire model, so it's foolish to talk about a manufacturer's entire product line in such a manner.

FWIW, I'm satisfied with how quiet my Subaru is.

May I know what Subaru model that you own ?
LK2012

Post by LK2012 »

I'm driving a 1997 Subaru Outback with 214,000 miles. Looove it.

I've been through head gasket issues (around 140,000 miles) and replaced pretty much everything at least once, but I expect to do that with a car I've been driving 17+ years in New Jersey with all the salt and rust issues.

Plus no garage or even car port, so it's exposed to the elements 24/7.

When I'm ready for a new car, I'll be looking for a new Outback ...
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

sunil_gulati wrote: May I know what Subaru model that you own ?
2011 Subaru Legacy Limited with 4-cylinder engine and CVT transmission. Mine is a fifth generation Legacy (built from 2010-2014). Although some people complain about the CVT, I like it. It allows engine revs to drop way down during highway cruising, improving both fuel efficiency and comfort. I can't speak to CVT transmissions from other manufacturers, but the Subaru CVT seems to be quite reliable based on what I've read in car forums and the like.

The new 2015 Legacy is the first year of the sixth generation, so it's a new design. Magazine and internet reviews have been very positive.

In case some are not aware, since 1994 the Outback is the (raised) station wagon version of the Legacy, and the generations and model years are the same.
Landsman

Post by Landsman »

I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy with over 65,000 miles and have had no issues. My wife's 2008 Toyota Sienna has been recalled 5 or 6 times to date. That said, overall Toyota's and Honda's are good cars that will retain their value and will last a long time. But, they are not perfect and Toyota has had a lot of recalls in the last few years.

My advice is to read the consumer reviews (Edmunds.com) for each model you're considering and test drive them. A car buying decision shouldn't be based on one data point.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Reviews are one thing, but personal experience tends to weigh heavily even if it is a sample size of 1. Unfortunately, my personal experience so far is the two-strike outcome for this acquaintance with Subarus and I don't think reading a bunch of reviews will easily trump that in my mind. If I knew anyone who owned any brand with this kind of trouble that's hard to get past in your thinking. Would you buy a Lexus or Mercedes if your neighbor had owned two in a row that both went flooey, even if the reviews are great?
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Browser wrote:Reviews are one thing, but personal experience tends to weigh heavily even if it is a sample size of 1. Unfortunately, my personal experience so far is the two-strike outcome for this acquaintance with Subarus and I don't think reading a bunch of reviews will easily trump that in my mind. If I knew anyone who owned any brand with this kind of trouble that's hard to get past in your thinking. Would you buy a Lexus or Mercedes if your neighbor had owned two in a row that both went flooey, even if the reviews are great?
Yes, because there are always outliers in any statistical sample, but the average car will perform well...average. It's the same reason we're all indexers instead of gambling on active funds.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Browser wrote:Reviews are one thing, but personal experience tends to weigh heavily even if it is a sample size of 1. Unfortunately, my personal experience so far is the two-strike outcome for this acquaintance with Subarus and I don't think reading a bunch of reviews will easily trump that in my mind. If I knew anyone who owned any brand with this kind of trouble that's hard to get past in your thinking. Would you buy a Lexus or Mercedes if your neighbor had owned two in a row that both went flooey, even if the reviews are great?
I strongly suggest you do not buy a Subaru. If you do, you will be worrying and looking for problems instead of enjoying the car. If anything goes wrong, it will serve to confirm your preconceived bias.

But also realize that your bias is irrational. That doesn't make it any less important to you or your neighbor, but the anecdotes, impressions, reviews and surveys provided and referenced in this thread don't support the opinion that Subarus are prone to unreliability.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Can I ask the year make and model of the car that went bust
hornet96

Post by hornet96 »

Browser wrote:Reviews are one thing, but personal experience tends to weigh heavily even if it is a sample size of 1.
This is an example of representativeness bias in its purest form. You are able to easily observe/recall recent information obtained about Subarus from your friend, but completely discount all other data in relation to Subarus that doesn't support your bias. I also suspect that your friend does not truly follow the recommended maintenance schedule (could be wrong of course, but it is my suspicion). By recommended maintenance, I of course mean more than just oil changes.

My wife has a 2011 Subaru Outback with about 41,000 miles on it - no issues so far (knock on wood).
optimpessim

Post by optimpessim »

deanbrew wrote:
Keep It Simple wrote:

K.I.S.
I'll let optimpessim explain for himself, but I've never really liked any Toyota well enough to buy it. My wife has owned several, but the lack of responsiveness and any level of "fun to drive" has kept me from buying a Toyota. I've always found Mazdas and Hondas (and now Subaru) to be better choices.
In the past we have had Camrys and a Honda Odyssey. They were good cars. The thing is that I've got my heart set on the features of the Legacy 2015 including All-Wheel Drive and EyeSight, blind-spot detection, rear cross-traffic alert. Looking at an advertising brochure, I also think it looks cool! Probably wouldn't to a younger person!

So having my heart set on the Subaru is a set up for disappointment if I choose any other car. The comments in this thread are very helpful. I think I will go for my first choice. Probably only if I get a lemon will I be disappointed.
SamB

Post by SamB »

Browser wrote:Been contemplating the purchase of a new vehicle and considering the Subarus. Just learned of an acquaintance who owns one that is 2 years old with 19K miles (sedan, not sure which model). Seems that while driving, the dash status lights all lit up and began flashing and the steering went fuzzy. She parked it and was unable to move the auto transmission, as the status lights remained lit up and flashing wildly. Car had to be towed. She had previously owned a Suby that had all kinds of problems also, but defied her spouse and common sense by buying another one; now she's in the do-do. Any similar tales of woe regarding the Suby? I'm wondering what sort of problem would cause these symptoms. It's now on my "Do Not Buy" list after hearing this narrative.
I am the original owner of a 1995 Legacy L station wagon. It now has 151K miles on it. Great handling station wagon and I can fit my bikes inside of it. Beware of failing wheel bearings, and oil seals of any variety. The subaru engine is notorious for oil leaks. Those were my biggest maintenance expenses in 19 years.

Unless you have a need for AWD I don't recommend the Subaru. I could put my bikes in a Toyota pickup, which has a whole lot less complexity and much more reliability. It is also much easier to work on.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

SamB wrote:The subaru engine is notorious for oil leaks.
Your use of "is" should probably be changed to "was". There is a growing consensus that Subaru has figured out the oil leak/consumption problem starting with the 2010 engine redesign. Possibly too early to tell, but owners of newer vehicles aren't reporting that they have to add oil between oil changes. I haven't.
Unless you have a need for AWD I don't recommend the Subaru. I could put my bikes in a Toyota pickup, which has a whole lot less complexity and much more reliability. It is also much easier to work on.
Certainly the AWD adds some complexity and weight. The new Subarus still get pretty darn good fuel mileage, though, and I don't know that I agree with your use of "whole lot" and "much more" in the above sentence.

I think the one objective drawback of a Subaru relates to the tires. Due to the design of the AWD system, you're not supposed to change just one or two tires. All four have to have the same circumference, which can create added expense if you have a tire go bad on one corner. You would have to replace all four at once, or shave down the one new one to match the existing three. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with that issue yet.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

deanbrew wrote: Your use of "is" should probably be changed to "was". There is a growing consensus that Subaru has figured out the oil leak/consumption problem starting with the 2010 engine redesign. Possibly too early to tell, but owners of newer vehicles aren't reporting that they have to add oil between oil changes. I haven't.

Unfortunately, there seems to be an oil consumption issue affecting some of the newer vehicles, related to bad rings. There is a class action lawsuit (http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_subaru_f ... ption.html) and Subaru is replacing the piston rings on cars that fail an oil consumption test, which I believe is using more than a quart every 1200 miles (http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10 ... ston-rings)
Last edited by flyingbison on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
powermega

Post by powermega »

I've been driving a Subaru for 18 years now. The only issue I've ever had was a bad alternator that turned out to be on recall, so no cost to me, and that was 16 years ago. My '08 Outback has over 90k miles on it, and I still think of it as a "new" car. Outbacks are the very best performing cars on snow and ice that I've ever driven. Just great cars.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
jendoe

Post by jendoe »

I've got a little 2004 Impreza (cheap wagon, not the fancy WRX) that I've been driving for 10 years (86k miles). It's been great, very reliable... even when things have gone wrong, they've "gracefully degraded" (i.e. the car has not ever been undriveable).

So... pluses:
- super reliable
- seems to take damage well (been hit twice)

Big Things that have broken:
- Head gasket started to leak, known issue, had it replaced.
- Same time as the head gasket the engine started to sound a little different. There was something with the "boot" (?) that needed fixing, got it taken care of.

Small, recent things that needed fixing:
... Starting at Christmas (so @ 9.5 years): the radio no longer ejects CDs.
... Couple months ago, sensor (I believe it was the oxygen sensor, on the catylic converter?) made the check engine light come on. I had to replace that.
... Brake light (bulb) just went out a week ago, Pep Boys helped me swap it out for free (thank you, Pep Boys!)

I do have a little bit of rust here and there... mostly I've noticed tiny bits along the edge of the drivers door. I assume that I may have (inadvertently!) bumped the door into another car while opening it, scraping enough paint for rust? I also noticed a TINY dot where the paint is chipped, not sure when/how that happened.

Other annoying thing: For some reason the floormat doesn't stay stuck in place. It creeps forward, so I need to periodically reposition it. Not a huge deal, just annoying.

And, personally, my little Impreza is NOT the most comfortable or quietest car. When I replace it, I'd like to find something a little quieter and nicer. But, for what it was - a bottom-of-the line, inexpensive AWD car - it's been incredibly reliable and safe. And, I figure I can easily get a few more years out of it, and avoid spending money on a new car.

Oh, and I don't know alot about car mechanics and am not great at maintenance. I try... but unless something is obviously wrong, I tend to just take it in 1x/year for an oil change and to check out anything odd. So, I'm likely more in the "hard on the car" category ;-)

Hope that helps!
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

mlipps wrote:The plural of anecdote is not data. The data from Consumer Reports and the like report that Subaru are reliable year after year after year. They also maintain value better than (nearly?) any brand, making them expensive compared to other comparable used cars.
I assume you meant "inexpensive".
In any event, my experience with Consumer Reports and Subaru was a bit different, although that was almost 30(!) years ago.
Namely, I bought a 1986 Subaru turbo wagon after reading the excellent review in Consumer Reports. It was my first "fancy" (i.e., not base model) car. When I went to sell it a few years later (yes, I know I should have kept it longer), that model was no longer recommended as a used car due to reliability problems. :oops:
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.