Unlimited cell plans dropping in price?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Unlimited cell plans dropping in price?

Post by Barefootgirl »

For the area I live in, it appears I need to look to the nationwide carriers in order to obtain good service.

I just saw a Sprint ad for $50/mo for unlimited talk and text, this is about half of what I am paying now to T Mobile.

Anyone happy with Sprint? Thank you, BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Browser

Re: Unlimited cell plans dropping in price?

Post by Browser »

How much data? On Sprint's website I saw pricing of $55/month for unlimited talk/text and 1GB with 2-year contract. I can do better than that for the same plan with several MVNOs such as PagePlus (verizon) for $40, H2O Wireless (AT&T) for $40. Why would I need a contract with sucky Sprint?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Barefootgirl wrote:For the area I live in, it appears I need to look to the nationwide carriers in order to obtain good service.

I just saw a Sprint ad for $50/mo for unlimited talk and text, this is about half of what I am paying now to T Mobile.

Contract?
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Barefootgirl wrote:For the area I live in, it appears I need to look to the nationwide carriers in order to obtain good service.
Not an ad for Page Plus (I don't now nor ever have used them), but they use Verizon's 3g network. If they add 4g service (seems to be inevitable) they will have exactly the same network as Verizon.

I suspect there are other such firms that you don't consider "nationwide carriers".
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Verizon also just starting offering a cheaper ($60/month) unlimited talk/text plus 2GB plan for single lines. Just switched my wife over yesterday and saving $30/month for basically the same service (minus tethering). We were previously paying $90 a month.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/con ... plans.html
Browser

Post by Browser »

If 1200 minutes talk and 5000 texts is enough, you can also get Consumer Cellular with 1GB data for $50/month. They are on AT&T's postpaid 4G-LTE network with partner roaming, which is the same coverage you'd get with AT&T. Much better option than Sprint, IMO.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

It is very likely Sprint is about to kickoff a price war for unlimited, T-mobile is also changing the market so there will be some changes in the future. Verizon isn't likely to change much because their network is massive and their performance is superior almost everywhere, people that use Verizon tend know they are paying more and are happy to do so for the quality of the network.

It depends on how good T-mobile is in your area. Sprint tends to have better overall coverage but their LTE can be spotty still (it is improving). T-mobile is a *very* hit or miss carrier, even in areas where they have good coverage it's not uncommon to hit dead zones. I've used Sprint, T-mobile and AT&T in my area, Sprint and AT&T were about equal, T-mobile's cost less but you didn't get as good of coverage.

Do you actually need unlimited? If not take a look at Ting, it runs on the Sprint network. I pay about $45 a month for two smart phones. If you used 500-1000 minutes, 1000-2000 texts and 1-100 MB of data a month your bill would be $36 a month with Ting. The super nice thing about Ting is your bill automatically reflects your usage, use a lot in a month and your bill will be higher, use almost nothing and you'll have a $6 to $20 bill.

They have a handy calculator that determines what you bill would be based on usage at: https://ting.com/rates
Last edited by Quickfoot on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Matter of fact, I just checked AT&T's no-contract pricing. $50/month for unlimited talk/text plus 1GB data. That matches Consumer Celluar's pricing for 1200 Min talk/ 5000 texts with 1GB. If 300MB is enough, it's $45/month with AT&T and $40 with Consumer Cellular. The advantage to going with Consumer Cellular is that you can change your voice/data plan at will during the month to more closely match your useage and perhaps save a few pennies by tweaking. Also, if you use less talk minutes or data you can get monthly cost down as low as under $20 (200 minutes/ 20Mb). On balance, I'm staying with CC because of that feature, but if I thought I regularly needed more talk/text than the 1200 minutes I'd probably decide to go with AT&T no-contract since it gives you unlimited.
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

Maybe all you need to do is change T Mobile plans; they also offer a $50/mo unlimited talk and text, 2Gig data plan, but it doesn't include a free phone.
I'll make a leap of inference and infer that if you're using T Mobile, you've already got a phone. :D
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Browser wrote:Matter of fact, I just checked AT&T's no-contract pricing. $50/month for unlimited talk/text plus 1GB data. That matches Consumer Celluar's pricing for 1200 Min talk/ 5000 texts with 1GB. If 300MB is enough, it's $45/month with AT&T and $40 with Consumer Cellular. The advantage to going with Consumer Cellular is that you can change your voice/data plan at will during the month to more closely match your useage and perhaps save a few pennies by tweaking. Also, if you use less talk minutes or data you can get monthly cost down as low as under $20 (200 minutes/ 20Mb). On balance, I'm staying with CC because of that feature, but if I thought I regularly needed more talk/text than the 1200 minutes I'd probably decide to go with AT&T no-contract since it gives you unlimited.
I'm on CC as well and am happy with it. I had to enable data roaming to use their partner cell towers in some states during my July roadtrip. And I upped my data plan to 2.5 GB for that month as well, now back to 1 GB in home territory...
Attempted new signature...
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

I pay $50 for verizon for unlimited talk, text and 1gig data. Plus I get a big subsidy on my phone

I don't get why so many people are anti contract. It's not like I'm not going to use a cell phone within the next 2 years so I'll gladly take $450 off of next iphone when it comes out
Toons

Post by Toons »

Straight Talk -45.00 "unlimited" :happy

"*30 day Unlimited Plans include 3GB of high speed data per 30 day cycle. After 3GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is added."
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

DG just switched to Cricket Wireless out here and has been happy.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

HueyLD wrote:
Toons wrote:Straight Talk -45.00 "unlimited" :happy

"*30 day Unlimited Plans include 3GB of high speed data per 30 day cycle. After 3GB, your data speed will be reduced for the remainder of the 30 day cycle. High speed data is restored once a new 30 day service plan is added."
How much web surfing time does 3GB provide? I don't do a lot of high data usage activity online.
Glad you asked,I just texted to Straight Talk for my data usage with them .Since Aug 1 I have used a little over a gigabyte,to give you a rough idea I stream Amazon music to my phone at least an hour or 2 every day,along with sending receiving photos,texting the usual stuff. Given I have 10 more days I am guessing I would feel comfortable streaming music at minimum 20 more hours,before capped at lower speed.Texting,checking email,a little browsing won't even come close to consuming a gigabyte a month. :happy
rpike

Post by rpike »

sunnyday wrote:I pay $50 for verizon for unlimited talk, text and 1gig data. Plus I get a big subsidy on my phone

I don't get why so many people are anti contract. It's not like I'm not going to use a cell phone within the next 2 years so I'll gladly take $450 off of next iphone when it comes out
Many people on this forum denigrate whole life because it mixes insurance and investing making it harder to determine if you are getting a good deal. IMO contract phone plans do the same thing with mixing the monthly service with the financing of the device.

They are great for the provider in that they produce a steady stream of revenue, under-users pay even for what they don't use, over-users pay extra, and bundling in the device subsidy gets subscribers used to overpaying for the service so they don't expect a discount if they continue using their existing device once the subsidy is paid off.

On the other hand, I know someone on a family plan who likes having the latest iPhone and his daughter likes a basic flip phone. He has it worked out so that he has eligibility for 1 new subsidized phone every year. She keeps her flip phone and he uses the subsidy to get the latest iPhone for himself and supposedly sells his 1-year old iPhone for more than his copay.

I, on the other hand, pass my 2-year old corporate phone down to my family members who have the PagePlus standard plan where they pay only for what they actually use and find they can manage to survive with limiting their data usage to WiFi only. If one of their phones needs to be replaced before my next 2 year hand-me-down, they take hand-me-downs or buy used Android phones for under $50 from others renewing their contracts and upgrading to a new phone.

To each his own!

Another Rick
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

HueyLD wrote:

How much web surfing time does 3GB provide? I don't do a lot of high data usage activity online.
3 GB per month is a lot if you have WiFi at home and at other places you frequent.
But if you're on the road a lot and using cell data in a car (while someone else is driving) you could hit the limit if you don't pay attention.
I think most providers have a way to check how much data has been used in the current cycle...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Toons wrote:
HueyLD wrote:

Glad you asked,I just texted to Straight Talk for my data usage with them .Since Aug 1 I have used a little over a gigabyte,to give you a rough idea I stream Amazon music to my phone at least an hour or 2 every day,along with sending receiving photos,texting the usual stuff. Given I have 10 more days I am guessing I would feel comfortable streaming music at minimum 20 more hours,before capped at lower speed.Texting,checking email,a little browsing won't even come close to consuming a gigabyte a month. :happy
OK, but how much of this activity is on WiFi? Are you saying it's all using cellular data?
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

Web browsing doesn't use much but video watching does.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

sunnyday wrote:I don't get why so many people are anti contract.
In just two years the cost for the same plan is now 50% less.
Last edited by dumbbunny on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
Toons

Post by Toons »

The Wizard wrote:
HueyLD wrote:

3 GB per month is a lot if you have WiFi at home and at other places you frequent.
But if you're on the road a lot and using cell data in a car (while someone else is driving) you could hit the limit if you don't pay attention.
I think most providers have a way to check how much data has been used in the current cycle...
Yes I stream music in car using cell data with Straight talk .Rather pleased as to how little data music uses with 3g.I won't use up the data I am paying for unless I stream music using cell data so that is what I do.
I just text the word "usage" to straight talk number to get data used. :happy
Browser

Post by Browser »

What's wrong with a contract? Well for one thing you're locked into your rate watching while the rates are dropping on no-contract plans. I'm a free-range user - show me a lower rate and I'll drop my current plan in a heartbeat and move on.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

rpike wrote:
sunnyday wrote:I pay $50 for verizon for unlimited talk, text and 1gig data. Plus I get a big subsidy on my phone

Many people on this forum denigrate whole life because it mixes insurance and investing making it harder to determine if you are getting a good deal. IMO contract phone plans do the same thing with mixing the monthly service with the financing of the device.
You can just add up the monthly bill + phone cost over a 2 year span and compare. It's not difficult to compare services at all.
rpike wrote: I, on the other hand, pass my 2-year old corporate phone down to my family members who have the PagePlus standard plan where they pay only for what they actually use and find they can manage to survive with limiting their data usage to WiFi only. If one of their phones needs to be replaced before my next 2 year hand-me-down, they take hand-me-downs or buy used Android phones for under $50 from others renewing their contracts and upgrading to a new phone.

To each his own!

Another Rick
I think for light users and if you're ok with with wifi only data and older phones that makes sense. For me, spending an extra few bucks a months is completely worth it since I use it quite a bit. It actually probably saves me time and money having data, for example driving and shopping. As you mentioned, to each his own!
Peterjens wrote:
I was paying about $100/month two years ago too for two phones on Verizon's family plan.
kazper

Post by kazper »

My wife uses boost. You have to pay the upfront cost of the phone (depends on how fancy you want, around 150 or 200 unless you want fancy). Her unlimited plan started out around 60 and went down by 5 for each 6 months of Ontime pay up to 15. It is now about 45.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

There are 2 options here. Either you are way smarter than a lot of people or those people have added the expenses of phone+non-contract plan and have found non-contract plan is cheaper. Which do you think it is?
Browser

Post by Browser »

saladdin wrote:

There are 2 options here. Either you are way smarter than a lot of people or those people have added the expenses of phone+non-contract plan and have found non-contract plan is cheaper. Which do you think it is?
You're going to pay for the phone either way - either as a lump sum or monthly payments added to your wireless charges. People who think they're getting a free or discounted phone via contract are just kidding themselves; what they're getting is a phone purchased with installment payments. I've found that the same phone can be cheaper if you buy an unlocked phone yourself up-front; for example, the Moto-X I have was much cheaper to buy from Google than it would have been as part of a contract with one of the wireless carriers.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

I use AT&T ONLY because it's through my company.

If I had to use my own phone, I'd use a cheap plan.
I have both my mother-in-law and my mom on Straight talk (I give them my old iPhones after they're off contract, pop in a new battery and a sim card, and they're set) they pay 6 months at a time at about $38 per month, unlimited talk, text, and data.

I don't understand why people stay on expensive plans that lock you in.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I paid a discounted price for an iPhone 4s with Virgin Mobile when the iPhone 5 was just coming out. I bought the phone from Target for roughly $400 (including tax). I was happy to pay the phone cost upfront because my cell bill for the last couple of years has been $30/month. The break even point was just the first few months so a contract would have been far more expensive.

Virgin uses the Sprint network but there is no roaming available. If you live in a large metro area, coverage is usually adequate. I was not interested in paying a higher rate for better coverage based on my location and needs but spotty coverage in remote areas is something to be aware of with Virgin.

Here is plan info: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-pho ... /overview/

There is a $5/month discounted price on their plans if you buy an iPhone and set up autopay. If you keep the phone for a while, those $5 bills add up. By the way, my phone still works great after almost 2 years of use so I have no plans to upgrade the phone for a while.
Last edited by Ron Ronnerson on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

cutterinnj wrote:I use AT&T ONLY because it's through my company.

I have both my mother-in-law and my mom on Straight talk (I give them my old iPhones after they're off contract, pop in a new battery and a sim card, and they're set) they pay 6 months at a time at about $38 per month, unlimited talk, text, and data.

6 months 255/6=42.50?
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

Toons wrote:

6 months 255/6=42.50?
6 month cards- they go on sale from time to time. Cheaper than month to month
Toons

Post by Toons »

cutterinnj wrote:
Toons wrote:

6 months 255/6=42.50?
6 month cards- they go on sale from time to time. Cheaper than month to month
Thanks for the "sale" info,I have been a StraighTalk user for years,I will keep an eye open for the sale :happy
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

Peterjens wrote:
The contract doesn't lock in the price. I am on contract with Verizon until 08/2015, but just recently changed from $90/month to their single line plan w/ 2GB for $60/month.

Did not affect the length of the contract and the services/price you choose are NOT locked in for 2 years.

If anybody in the forum has Verizon I highly suggest they look at the prices on plans. Prices came down a lot recently because of pressure from T Mobile/Sprint/etc
sdrone

Post by sdrone »

If all you want is talk and text, Tmobile has 2 plans you can get online with a new SIM (so you'll need to transfer your number to the SIM).

1 . Unlimited data (though face it, there are limits) and text plus 100m talk = $30
2. Unlimited talk/text plus some small amount of data = $30.

There is no contract with these plans.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

saladdin wrote:

Or I could be in a different situation as a lot of the people who have responded because I choose to buy a new iphone every two years. When you factor that in being on contract for me comes out ahead. If you can prove otherwise please do. It would greatly appreciated because I'm always looking to save money.
Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 »

sunnyday wrote:
saladdin wrote:

Or I could be in a different situation as a lot of the people who have responded because I choose to buy a new iphone every two years. When you factor that in being on contract for me comes out ahead. If you can prove otherwise please do. It would greatly appreciated because I'm always looking to save money.
With AT&T, the cost between contract and no contract plans is $15/month. A new iPhone in contract is $200 and without is $650. The $15/month savings comes $90 short of the contract price over 2 years. On top of that, you can always resell the newer phone to recoup some of the costs. It definitely makes since to stay in contract if you are always upgrading your phone.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Browser wrote:What's wrong with a contract? Well for one thing you're locked into your rate watching while the rates are dropping on no-contract plans. I'm a free-range user - show me a lower rate and I'll drop my current plan in a heartbeat and move on.
I'm a free ranger too especially with cable and ISP companies. But I'm willing to lock in if the savings are significant enough.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Slightly OT, but not very:

I have an ancient "vacuum-tube-based" voice plan with Sprint for 550 "day" minutes and unlimited night or cell-to-cell minutes/per month for $59.95 (I think) for the first phone and $10 for each one after that (I have two at the moment). But that's not my problem: my problem is that I have no good choices for data where I live out in "Green Acres". We also have an equally ancient unlimited 3G data plan, and it really is unlimited as far as I can tell, but the speed is highly variable and not very good much of the time. It peaks out at 2 mbps, which would be fine if it were reliable, but often it drops to an unusably slow speed.

So I sprung for a 60 GB/month 4G plan through a Sprint reseller for $89.95/month. That is MUCH better, averaging about 8 mbps and rarely under 6 mbps. I don't know why Sprint doesn't sell this plan directly, and hope they don't get rid of it entirely, but for the moment that solves my telecom problem.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Didn't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned. Clark Howard addressed 2014 cellphone plans in his current column. Scroll article for recent breaking cellphone deals.
http://m.clarkhoward.com/mobile/#4

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Atgard

Post by Atgard »

+1 to take a look at the cheaper MVNOs out there -- they use the same "Big 4" networks, usually at a fraction of the cost.

Of course, if you want to use a ton of minutes and 37 TB of data and have the shiniest new phone every year, you will pay for it.

If you don't really need an unlimited plan and like to live below your means, you can save a lot of money, ditch your contract, and get the same coverage. Unlimited plans are like paying extra for a buffet… 3x a day, every day. You may not want or need to eat that much.

I recently got a hand-me-down smartphone and switched from Net10 to Ting. It uses the Sprint network, and roams to T-Mobile, I think.

Ting's customer service is incredible. You call them up, and -- get this -- a human being picks up the phone after a few rings. No recordings. My bill has been under $15 per month so far.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

I pay $45 (base) = $48.30 (including all taxes & fees)--for no-contract Verizon Wireless with unlimited calls and text and 1GB/month. (It's 500MB base, plus 500MB because I sign up for auto-bill.) My Moto G cost $100 and is great: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/con ... epaid.html
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Marylander1 wrote:
I pay $45 (base) = $48.30 (including all taxes & fees)--for no-contract Verizon Wireless with unlimited calls and text and 1GB/month. (It's 500MB base, plus 500MB because I sign up for auto-bill.) My Moto G cost $100 and is great: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/con ... epaid.html
Seems like a solid deal. I'm thinking about Moto phone to upgrade my mom's phone.

So if I were to go no contract my monthly bill would drop from $56/mo to $48/mo. I would save almost $200 after 24 months but my phone would cost me about $450 more. So it's cheaper for me to be on contract.