Which Lenovo or Asus desktop computer to buy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DSInvestor

Re: Which Lenovo or Asus desktop computer to buy?

Post by DSInvestor »

ajcp wrote: There are many differences between an HD and SSD (Defragging is bad, TRIM, superfetch is unnecessary, etc.). With a fresh install, Windows will detect that you're using an SSD and act differently based on that. If you just clone the drive, Windows will still act like you have an HD.
Thanks, I had to look up those things. I knew about defragging being unnecessary for SSD and even harmful given SSD's limited number of write cycles. I didn't know about TRIM and superfetch and that windows may or may not adjust these settings on boot up plug and play.

I did see something about partition alignment issues that can be avoided by a fresh install but this can be adjusted after a clone using a partition alignment utility if the sectors aren't aligned properly for optimal SSD operation.
http://www.ssdhdd.org/alignment/ssd-alignment.html

Here's a link to Tomshardware article about optimizing WIndows 7 for SSD. It mentions that some cloning tools like Acronis True Image Home 2011 will clone a drive to SSD and make sure that it is properly aligned. It also shows how to disable things like superfetch.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windows7 ... Drive.html

Thanks again for alerting me to these issues. I upgraded an old computer from XP to Win 7 doing a fresh install on to a new SSHD and I think it took me a day or more to install Win 7, download and install the numerous security patches, install apps and their patches and finally migrate data. No way I'd do that again if there is another option.
Wiki
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

After being so frustrated with Windows products in general anymore, and getting really familiar with Apple products, there is no way I am purchasing a Windows product ever again!

We now have more Apple products in the home, and the next laptop will be a MacBook Air or Pro and then Windows is totally out of the home!

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Dyloot

Post by Dyloot »

vnatale wrote:
Dyloot wrote:Take it from a tech who orders, configures, and deploys hundreds and hundreds of workstations in a business environment: get a Solid State Drive. Your comparison of 3rd and 4th generation Intel i7 processors is geek bliss, but if you're actually looking for real life performance you'll want a good mix of CPU/RAM/SSD. Go for the large, magnetic drive and you'll be bottle-necking that powerhouse CPU and power-user amount of RAM.

I

Question on the SSD. If I buy the computer I proposed and later want to add the SSD drive how do I get the operating system on the SSD drive? Particularly when one is not supplied the operating system CD with this particular computer?

If I'm perceiving the problem correctly are you really advising to buy a computer already with an SSD drive and, therefore, with the operating system already on it?
Yes, I am recommending buying the system with the SSD installed. It's the cleanest way to get where you're going. Unless, of course, you enjoy the alternative--making the upgrade work in the future.

Lenovo has options on their websites for desktops with SSDs. Make sure you don't pick a hybrid drive. I've personally worked with those and can confirm online benchmark reports that they really don't seem much faster than your magnetic drives.

If you do the upgrade later, here are some things to know ahead of time:

1) Does the desktop come with reinstall media? Many modern desktops store the recovery files on a partition on the original hard drive, which will be of no use to you in this scenario.

2) SSD are 2.5 inch form factor. The magnetic drives that come standard in desktop computers are 3.5. If you do the upgrade later, you'll need an adapter (see: http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Drive-Mo ... 3.5+to+2.5). Be prepared that not all adapters will fit all cases and hard drive caddies.

Ideally, you'd buy a desktop with an SSD, that also comes with the reinstall media. I know it's not always that simple, especially if you're buying a consumer grade product.
Dyloot

Post by Dyloot »

abuss368 wrote:After being so frustrated with Windows products in general anymore, and getting really familiar with Apple products, there is no way I am purchasing a Windows product ever again!

We now have more Apple products in the home, and the next laptop will be a MacBook Air or Pro and then Windows is totally out of the home!

Best.
Macs are great, if you want to spend the money they cost and they do what you want them to do. In a professional environment, they're often a headache. They reinvent hardware standards (especially power plugs), they force you into horribly expensive standard office equipment configurations (need a docking station--buy a thunderbolt monitor for $1000! need a second monitor--buy a second thunderbolt monitor for another $1000!), and many of the high end laptops can't be upgraded (need a bigger hard drive, buy a new laptop!).

I've deployed some pretty sweet Macbook Pros in the past year... at $3,500 to $4,000 a pop. =D
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

Dyloot wrote: 1) Does the desktop come with reinstall media? Many modern desktops store the recovery files on a partition on the original hard drive, which will be of no use to you in this scenario.
Anyone with a Windows 8 key can get the iso from here and put it on a dvd or flash drive. Windows 7 isos are also available.
Topic Author
vnatale

Post by vnatale »

I started this search back in February. I may finally be ready to make a decision and would like to hear from anyone regarding this decision.

Back in February, I was looking at buying a brand new name brand computer and was considering a Lenovo or Asus. However, every time I looked at the ones I was considering I was encountering two things. There would always be bi-polar reviews - those that praised the computers and those who gave negative information regarding them. And, there was always something missing from those computers that I really wanted.

Last night I did a search on used computers for sale in my local Craigslist which had an Intel I7 CPU in it. I did not see anything appealing.

I decided I really want what I want and no longer want to put up with any of the significant wait times I oftentimes do with this computer whether it because it has no USB 3.0 ports, it has a low end CPU, it only has 2.75 GB of usable RAM. On top of that it only supports one monitor and I want to have at least two, if not three.

That then leads me to either building one myself or having one built for me.

Regarding me building one for myself here is what I wrote to someone last night..

Briefly, here was my first computer build experience. I was at a computer show in Springfield [45 minutes from me] one Saturday. About 1/2 hour before the show ended, I impulsively decided I wanted to build my own computer! So, I bought all the parts. Got home. Finally got everything together at 11:30 PM and nothing happened! I looked up the company where I bought the parts from and discovered that they were going to be at another computer show on Sunday. Except it was in Southington, Connecticut - 1 1/2 hours away! So, I flew down there [in my car] and brought the computer in. I had one thing installed backwards. I paid them $35 to finish the installation and install Windows 98. And, then while I was there I bought even more parts from them to upgrade it. That was really the last time I built one! I've replaced and added a lot of components but that was the only one from scratch. I'd hate to spend $1,500 plus for parts and then end up with nothing working again!

While I was searching for computers for sale on Amazon which might possibly meet my needs I came across one with a five star rating. I then looked up reviews on the company...

http://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/home.asp

The reviews were here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CPU_Solutions

There are 158 reviews. I read all of them going back to 2005. I don't think these are planted / made up reviews. On a scale of 10.00, the reviews averaged 9.83. Quite impressive.

I've had several back and forths with them to get a final quote.

My dream computer from them will cost delivered to me $1,706. Quite a lot of money for what computers sell these days. But it gives me everything I need / want. It may actually be overkill for my needs but I'd rather have resources to spare than have to put up with the limited resources frugal me has put up for way too many years.

What is in this computer is:

Intel Core i7 i7-4790K.

This is an extremely fast CPU and Amazon's #1 Best Seller in Computer CPU Processors. It also gets a New Egg Customer Choice Award Winner. It also costs as much as what I'd bought three used computers for at a computer show!

Crucial 480 GB Solid State Drive

I keep all my data on external hard drives and only the operating system and installed software on an internal drive so this drive has more than enough space.

Gigabyte GTX650 Video Card

This card allows me to plug three monitors into it.

Two Asus Internal DVD-Writer Bulk

Having two will allow me to put an original (source) DVD / CD in one and the destination DVD / CD in the other without having the pause where you have to shuffle the DVD's / CD's

Windows 7 Professional

Everyone who seems to know anything about computers prefers Windows 7 over Windows 8

Asus motherboard

The main draw for this motherboard, besides it having the Asus name, is that it gives me 8 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is a highly desired item for me.

Thermaltake Mid-tower

Antec HCG750M Power Supply 750W

This should offer me plenty of power for what is currently going into the computer plus whatever else I may want to add to it in the future.

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB RAM

Two Inateck 4-port USB 3.0 Expansion Card

This will give me 8 more of my much sought after USB 3.0

Their price also includes:

Full System Assemble with 48 Hour Testing and Burn In
&
12 Month Parts & Labor Depot Warranty

If I built it myself then I have no guarantees it works once I put everything together plus, obviously , no warranties on the computers as a whole. I would have manufacturers' warranties on each component.

For each of the above components, I searched both Amazon and New Egg to note the reviews each component received and what the prices were at Amazon and New Egg.

All the components received between four and five stars (out of five) at both Amazon and New Egg.

If I were to buy all the components from Amazon, I could save $186. If I were to buy them all from New Egg, I could save $139. If I were to buy all the components from whoever sold them cheapest - Amazon or New Egg - I could save $213.

Finally, this coming weekend is a sales sale holiday in Massachusetts. New Egg does not charge sales tax on shipments to Massachusetts so no difference. Amazon stated that there would be no sales tax on what they sold directly but not necessarily so on sales from their sellers. If I assumed, though, that I could pay no sales tax on all I'd purchase from Amazon then I could save a total of $281.

Therefore, if I were to build it myself, I could save somewhere between $213 and $281. I'd have to order all the components separately. Wait for them to all arrive. Put them all together. Hope it boots up on the first try. Then spend a fair amount of time installing the operating system. And, then no warranties other than what the manufacturer offers.

I'm thinking it is well worth the price difference to finally get a computer professionally assembled and then shortly after finally have my dream computer!

There are a few more things I want to investigate about the computer but I'm about 95 on a scale of 100 on placing the order!

Vinny