High School Reunions--Have you attended?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jazztonight

High School Reunions--Have you attended?

Post by Jazztonight »

I just wrote about attending my 50th high school reunion as part of my Cross Country Amtrak trip,
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 8#p2142958
...and thought the subject of reunions might be an interesting topic on it's own.

Who's attended their HS reunions? Good experiences or bad, forgettable or not? Would you go again, or never again? Do you regret attending or not attending?

If you went to a reunion, did you reconnect with someone? Etc.

Here's what I posted about my reunion last night:
Jazztonight wrote: MY HIGH SCHOOL REUNION

I attended my 50th high school reunion last night. The number of attendees was appropriate for the size of the room, and I think that was the key to it's success. There were enough classmates present to mingle with, talk to, and re-acquaint with. When one got bored or antsy, one moved on. I had a good time.

There are always a few surprises at a HS reunion--I've been to 5 or so. There's only a couple of things you have in common with these people: you're all the same age, and you all shared a physical space for several years. Other than that, perhaps you had the same teachers or classes, maybe you "dated" this person or that, but depending on the size of your class, your experiences may have been quite different.

Some of my classmates were college-bound, and most, I suppose, graduated. Not all.

Some were Vietnam Nam bound; most returned.

There were, in my class, [OT racial references removed by admin LadyGeek], and so on. I grew up in a very white suburbia. This did not prepare me very well for the real world! (I now live in one of the most heterogeneous, racially diverse, cities in America.)

Many of my classmates, after graduation, moved to locations on Long Island 15 minutes from my home town, and still live there 50 years later. There were a fair number of marriages within the class, and there were at least 5 such couples present last night, still successfully married.

I enjoyed chatting with old friends (and enemies), and could not help myself from "judging" who looked good or great, and who looked not-so-good or even worse. There were many examples from each group. I have a feeling it's something that people do at reunions. I sat at a table with one woman I'd had a crush on in HS; she still looked very good to me, but would still be as inappropriate for me as ever! I did, however, tell her she looked beautiful. I doubt if she remembered me.

Then, of course, there was much talk about classmates who've died in the last 10 years, or even recently. One man died in the last few months and his widow, also a classmate, came to the reunion.

I connected with a few old friends, gave out some cards, and invited people to visit me on the West Coast. They won't, probably. Some people just like to stay close to home.

Most I talked to were fascinated with my cross-country journey on the train.

All along, I thought that my destination, my HS reunion, was going to be the high point of the trip. I'm not sure at this point if that's the case.

Also, the trip is not over. :happy
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
tomd37

Re: High School Reunions--Have you attended?

Post by tomd37 »

Moved away from my high school home (Eastchester, NY) and was not aware of any reunions held until the 50th, but was unable to attend that one. 60th is coming up next year but I don't think there is anything scheduled. Back then it was a relatively small class of about 120 and many have not been located or have passed away. Would consider making the trip if one was held and my health is a good as it is now. :sharebeer
Tom D.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Haven't attended any and really doubt I ever would. I did not stay in touch with anyone from my class after HS graduation. It would be like attending a party full of strangers which doesn't really appeal to me.
aquifer

Post by aquifer »

My hometown has an alumni banquet every year. Over the banquet weekend, some classes that have a five year increment will have their own party. Some people attend the banquet, some just attend their own class' party. There's usually someone who still lives in the local area from each class who coordinates the deal. I have gone to each of my five year reunions but I missed my 25th two years ago. My hometown is small, less than 700 people, and my class graduated 29 people. I will attend my 30 year reunion if I can. I'm not particularly sentimental, but sometimes it's ok to see old friends.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Attended my 25th. I had moved on, attained college degrees, good job, etc. Big class (over 500). I never liked high school. Always thought 25th might be fun. Wasn't. It seemed that the vast majority never left town and were in jobs I would have done while I still attended high school. Wouldn't attend another if I was paid to.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I attended my 25th in Michigan when I was living in Boston. When I went to check in, the people at the registration desk asked if I would "pay again" because they had lost all of the pre-registrations due to some unexplained shenanigans. I declined to pay twice since the check had been cashed. Never did receive the promised "year book" of the event.

I had not kept in touch with people and had not spent that much of my high school free time with people in school, so there were no dramatic moments. I did notice that many of the "personalities" had not changed that much. The class beauty queen was still working hard to be beautiful, and the catty girls whispered about seeing her in not so beautiful moments. The pushy people were still overbearing and rude. Plenty of people were gracious and easy to talk to even though we had not hung out in the same cliques.

My brother, who was 2 years ahead of me, will attend his 50th this month. Although I still have the unusual last name I had in HS, I am not on Facebook and don't expect to be hearing about my 50th. If I should get an invitation, however, I don't know that I would bother traveling all the way from the West Coast to attend.

Follow-up question for further comment: What kind of divide/differences (if any) do you see between classmates who have stuck close to home and those who have gone on to live in other parts of the country or world?
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

I moved away. Went to the 10th (It was "ok") and went to the 40th. The 40th was wonderful. Lots of fun seeing all these people I hadn't seen since I was 18.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I'm a long way away from where I went to high school but I went to two early (maybe the 5th and 15th) and didn't enjoy them much.

Then I went back to my 45th and had a lot of fun. I'm going back for our 50th next year.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

The reunions seem to be appeal to those that think HS was "the best years of my life" types.

I prefer college reunions and alumni gatherings, because those are the folks I still keep in touch with, and they're a fantastic way to network.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I never went to any of my reunions. I always planned to go to the 25th but let it pass too. I did go to my wifes 20th so she could show her trophy husband off.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

ClevrChico wrote:The reunions seem to be appeal to those that think HS was "the best years of my life" types...
Certainly there were a few people attending my reunion who felt that way.

But the vast majority were retired teachers, professionals (lots of lawyers), contractors, and civil service folks, all of whom were very gracious and got along with everyone else regardless of what they'd done, where they'd traveled, or what they had "achieved." In fact, the beauty queen was as sweet as ever after a career in cosmetology.

Everyone asked about kids and grandchildren. Certainly many people had divorced and remarried (or not). That's what life's all about, I suppose.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I skipped both my 10th and 20th because I simply have no interest; I didn't really like high school and no longer feel that I have much in common with the people I knew there, so I didn't feel much need to go (conversely, I'm heavily involved in my college alumni association and have been to a number of college reunions).

I'm good friends with someone I knew in high school (strangely, he and I traveled in different circles in high school and only became friends later), and he attended both and caught me up on people he had spoken to. That was interesting, but it wouldn't have made much difference to my life if he hadn't done so.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I went to my 40th high school reunion. It was OK. No better, no worse, just OK. I also made a point to do some other things on that trip and they were much more memorable than the reunion. I don't plan to go again although it could happen if it coincided with a trip for some other reason.

I have gone to the majority of my college reunions and always found them to be a lot of fun.

Speaking of Facebook, even though I have NO personal information on my Facebook page, a whole series of my high school cohorts including my old boyfriend have appeared in the "people you may know" space. It is annoying to know that even being intentionally anonymous is not helpful in staying anonymous. For those who are thinking it, no - none of those people are friends of my friends or even friends of my friends friends. I don't know how they do it.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I attended three different high schools and haven't attended one of their reunions. But I have attended several reunions of my 8th grade elementary school graduation class. I spent a lot of years with these folks and feel a lot closer to them than my high school acquaintances.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

I went to my 10th.

I wasn't invited to my 20th. Granted I had moved since the 10th, but it would have been fairly easy to figure out where I lived or get in contact with me if someone had wanted me to attend. Just search my name and I am the #1 search result on Google via Linkedin. On top of that my Mother still lived in the same house and had the same phone number as I did in HS.

I actually found out about it via a house appraiser who was appraising my house for a refinance and happened to live next door to a friend of mine from HS and he told me about the reunion. :confused

I looked on Facebook and saw who was in attendance, and I assume invited.

I won't be attending the 30th.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cheese_breath wrote:I attended three different high schools and haven't attended one of their reunions. But I have attended several reunions of my 8th grade elementary school graduation class. I spent a lot of years with these folks and feel a lot closer to them than my high school acquaintances.
If only my elementary school (through 6th grade only) had reunions!

I'd hop on the next flight to get there.

Those were the people I really got to know, and for many of us, we first met earlier, at about 3-4 years old, when a bunch of young families moved into a new apartment complex.
The families were pretty much upwardly mobile, so some moved away, but not too far, so we still kept in touch for a while.

High school was for just 3 years in a totally new city and state, and I hated it.
Had very little in common with most of them.
Having been admired for my academic skills earlier (and having been asked to tutor friends in math starting when I was quite young), I was suddenly ostracized for being "too smart".
I couldn't wait to graduate and leave.
Very, very few others went to college, and quite a few never even graduated from high school (or didn't at that time, anyway).
They weren't happy years for me.

The only person I kept in touch with was one year ahead of me, and we most recently saw each other several weeks ago.
She didn't go back for her reunions, either.

RM
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I go to all my HS reunions nowadays.
I think my first one was my 20th and I missed the 25th due to work.
But the 30th thru 45th were all fun.
My 50th comes up in a few years and I'll do that one also if I'm still twitching; it's only a 3000 mile round trip.
Unlike my college reunions which have an emphasis on a big class gift, the HS reunions are purely a social weekend event.
I had about 130 classmates, so I had some connection with most of them...
Attempted new signature...
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Never attended any of them. Quite frankly I would be suprised if half of my graduating class isn't in prison.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Paying $200+ per ticket for 3 hours of booze and hot buffet and driving in rush hour traffic on a Friday evening is not very Boglehead like.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

HS reunion? No way.

I did enjoy the flick: Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

I've been to several high school reunions and enjoyed them far more than I enjoyed high school. As a youngster, whenever people asked me, "How do you like school?" I replied, "Closed." I found college and grad school much more to my liking.

The first reunion of my HS class held was the 25th. It was great to everyone and get reacquainted with people I had not seen in a very long time. Our senior pictures were pasted on our nametags so we could recognize each other. I had no problems recognizing them and remember thinking that most of them looked better than they did in high school. The two people voted, "Most Popular" were deceased. The woman drowned in a bathtub and the guy was accidentally shot. Our most infamous classmate was unable to attend. He was serving time in a state prison after being convicted of murdering his wife and making it seem like an accidental drowning. A documentary of the case was later televised in an episode of, "American Justice." He was not one of the "bad boys" in high school, graduated from college and ran a successful business. Needless to say, we were all shocked. Fortunately, most of my former classmates seemed to be doing fine and some were quite successful.

The next 3 unions held were the 46th, 48th and 50th and I attended all three. This time I was grateful they put high school photos on the nametags. As I remarked to one of my friends at the 50th reunion, "It's getting harder to tell the players without a program." Some were still working while others were retired and enjoying life. Several had died, including one who became very wealthy. He went to work straight out of high school and became a very successful insurance agent. Another successful classmate who did not attend college was at the reunion. He did quite well as an entrepreneur. However, I noticed that most of the ones who went onto college and graduated seem to be better preserved that those who did not. That came as no surprise inasmuch as there is a positive correlation between education and longevity.

Overall, I'm glad I went to my reunions and enjoyed all of them. Thanks to the reunions, I keep in touch with several former classmates and see them whenever I go back to the old hometown.
Last edited by mlebuf on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
SGM

Post by SGM »

The first I attended was my 44 years out. It was fun. We became friends with someone I had known since kindergarten, but was never very friendly with. I never realized how funny she was. We have stayed at her house for a couple of football weekends and will be seeing them for her husband's retirement party shortly. It was an eye opener to see how people changed. If they have a 50th I will attend. I think of it as an opportunity to renew acquaintances and friendships. Most seemed to enjoy themselves.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My spouse went to her HS reunion many years ago. She found out that our neighbor a few doors down was from the same graduating class which is pretty funny because the HS was huge and halfway across the country. They didn't know each other in HS.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

As one who was the teacner's pet and got picked on most of the time I was in HS, I had no real interest in seeing those people again. I had one good friend from HS and we stayed in touch for a while before fading out of touch. Another friend in HS I nearly reconnected with a few years later because his fiance was a coworker for a few years before they moved from NY to Alaska for a while. I looked him up about 8 years ago and we got back in touch for a while (they moved to a Chicago suburb and I met him when he visited NY) but have faded in the last few years.

I got reunion invitations such as for my 20th and 25th in 2001 and 2006 but they were always at expensive places so the non-Boglehead idea of spending $85-$100 to see these other poeple, even to a "Revenge of the Nerds" thing held no interest. Perhaps if it were a less formal setting, perhaps a picnic in the state park or a low-cost gathering at the school I'd consider it.

Back in 2001 (before the 20th reunion), my first aforementioned HS friend was able to get a copy of a compilation of survey answers sent in voluntarily by several fellow graduates (not me or him). He sent a copy to me and I actually found that interesting, especially the ages of the children (16, 17, 18, even 19) many of my fellow graduates.

College reunions hold no interest to me, either. I recall looking through my college (NYU) yearbook and I knew maybe 10 people out of several hundred. The few college friends I had I fallen out of touch with over the years.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

I'm only 13 yrs out of high school, but no I have not attended any reunions. I currently live 3 hrs away from where I went to high school, and the logistics of getting my kids and dog taken care of are preventative of my wife and I attending the festivities. A not insignificant fraction of my classmates still live in and around the town, so I do know the events are well-attended. Maybe in 2 years...
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

mlebuf wrote: Our most infamous classmate was unable to attend. He was serving time in a state prison after being convicted of murdering his wife and making it seem like an accidental drowning. A documentary of the case was later televised in an episode of, "American Justice." He was not one of the "bad boys" in high school, graduated from college and ran a successful business. Needless to say, we were all shocked.
I had a similar occurrence. One of my HS friends was apparently murdered by her husband (another of our classmates) several years after graduation. I was not aware for many years because I just was not in touch with the HS people. Another TV episode...which I had seen and not realized it was them. Eerie.

We didn't go to high school together, did we?
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

I have not, but have thought of it more recently as I'm getting old. The graduating class had over 800 students. To this day I can page through my high school yearbook and I have no recollection of most of the students. Just too big. I've met classmates over the years and had no idea we were in the same class until we got to talking. Never met.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

I never have attended. Would have had 25th this year. I had about 400 classmates, and had a couple core friends I am still in sporadic contact with, with an email evey year or so. I had a lot of close friends in other grades, so I have always thought if there was some sort of combined deal, I would at least consider it. Sounds impossible, since there would be no way to split it and not tick someone off.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Amusingly, for Gen Xers, the reunion coordinators of my high school reunion this year are not very Facebook savvy. They didn't put the full name of the high school on the Facebook page, just the initials. Do you know how many high schools have the same initials across the country? Let me tell you, it's a lot. I found the information faster by searching the newspaper (which has a "reunions" section) than by searching Facebook.

I'm assuming the newspaper information is legit as it is at the same locally owned and operated restaurant as the 10 year reunion (which I did not attend as I was in grad school at the time and had a conference to present at on the same weekend). But since I can't find them on Facebook and the newspaper listing has no phone number or details (beyond the date and restaurant), it makes it rather difficult to find out enough information to decide if I will be attending.
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

I thought about attending my 5th just to....y'know....see certain girls that I was too shy to talk to while in high school. For one reason or other I didn't go and never went to any of the others either. This year would be my 45th if it were being held and I am not sure if it is or not. I was always invited every 5 years so I appreciate the effort of whomever was somehow following my relocations but it never was that big a deal to me.

I would fly anywhere in the world to see all of my college friends in one place but high school was more superficial for me. It has been decades since I ran into any of my high school friends although it saddens me to realize that the law of averages says that a certain percentage of my classmates have likely gone on to that great mandatory 8th period assembly in the sky.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

retiredjg wrote: I had a similar occurrence. One of my HS friends was apparently murdered by her husband (another of our classmates) several years after graduation. I was not aware for many years because I just was not in touch with the HS people. Another TV episode...which I had seen and not realized it was them. Eerie.

We didn't go to high school together, did we?
I doubt that we did. Here's a link to the documentary about my high school classmate:
http://shop.history.com/american-justic ... hp?p=67428
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

mlebuf wrote:I doubt that we did.
You are correct. On thinking about it, I bet a lot of reunions have a discussion along this line.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

My 10th was several years ago. Despite constant email and facebook hounding for a year, I did not attend, even though it was free. I didn't like those jerks and the way they treated me back then, I sure as heck don't like them now.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I'm shocked more people haven't attended or even have interest. I have a handful of very close friends that go back to middle school days. I have many more that I'm still friendly live. That after going to college and living in 4 other states since graduation 23 years ago.

You all must have hated high school or had no friends.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I liked high school just fine. Had friends. I just don't care to see any of them. No real reason why. Doesn't interest me. Should it?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Let me add that although I did not like high school and despised nearly all of my classmates, I did like many of my teachers and other staff members. In the first 20 years after I finished HS, I went back to visit the school from time to time to see the dwindling number of teachers and staff who were still working in the school. They were glad to see me and see how I was doing and I was glad to chat with them. I consider those impromptu visits my desired "reunions." A former classmate of mine (whom I did not despise) became a teacher at the school which I found pretty cool.

Then in 2002 the school tightened up on its security and would not let me enter without a prior appointment. But also by then the last of those I came to visit finally retired from the district so it was just as well.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

Cherokee8215 wrote:My 10th was several years ago. Despite constant email and facebook hounding for a year, I did not attend, even though it was free. I didn't like those jerks and the way they treated me back then, I sure as heck don't like them now.
Yep, humans can be cruel. Even Bogleheads. What if we were all required to go to HS right now?

Better outcomes? I'm not so sure. This would make an interesting movie maybe. It would possibly go like some of those adult parties I dislike so. :wink:
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

It was interesting to go back after more than 40 years. I went to high school in a really fine small town in the Midwest. Like most small towns, it has gone down hill over the last several decades. There was a noticeable difference in the fates of those who left (they've generally done quite well) and those who stayed (mostly not very well at all). That part was sad to see.

It was nice to catch up with those who left. Not so much with those that stayed.

The reunions are very well attended - close to half the class of 190. Several folks that didn't even graduate with us after moving away during their high school years came. They're in the "did well" group. If that group didn't come back I wouldn't either.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

I live close to several high school friends. I invite 10 of them out to lunch once in a while maybe 2 will show up. This is free other than the food you buy. I think people move on with there life and are not interested in the past. One guy I invited said I did not go to college like the rest of you guys. I did not care about that one bit and we never talk about college at our lunches but it was a big deal in his mind. He was a no show. Another guy a straight A student in high school has a big problem if one of us looks like they are passing him in the game of life. I guess he was used to being first all the time in school. Stuff like that. It looks like several people are not happy with where they are in life.
Last edited by rec7 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

My 50th high school reunion is this coming Saturday. It should be an interesting evening.
Best Wishes, | Joe
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Live out of town. Went to the 10th and 30th - enjoyed them both. Had the 40th this year but I passed. Basically lost interest. We will see in 10 years.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

My tenth was around a month ago. I did not attend. I thought about it, but none of the few people I keep in contact with from that era were going. I suppose that's not really an excuse, but I didn't see a ton of benefit. I was friendly with most of my class, but I had very few friends outside of school.

I did not attend the very informal 5th either, but I heard everyone pretty quickly got together with their clique.

I imagine several classmates see me around town, but do not bother to say hi.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

I've been to several, the last one the 50th.

I was surprised that I had more difficulty recognizing the men rather than the women. I expected the opposite since women have more latitude in changing their appearance (different hair colors, styles, costumes, etc.)

But it turned out the men had changed more; some fat, some bald, beards & mustaches, etc., plus we are all more or less the same height now. The big guys in high school are only a few inches taller and the little guys are only a few inches shorter. I didn't have to move my head up or down to talk to them as it was in the old days.

I also admit to (secretly) thinking, "Who are all these old geezers anyway?"
pjstack
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

I'm still very good friends with many classmates from high school -- we go back all the way to primary school, so technically, they are primary/middle/high school friends. I would also love to see the people I wasn't friends with back then, but unfortunately, the American practice of organizing reunions just doesn't exist where I'm from. We had an informal reunion 5-6 years after graduation and are trying to put another one together for our 20th. Our school isn't involved at all; there's no alumni organization or anything of the sort. That's fine by me, since I don't hold my high school in particularly high regard. University and especially grad school were far more interesting experiences, intellectually speaking, but the friends from my childhood/teenage years are more important to me than the friends I made afterwards.

Maybe high school reunions are only enjoyed by those who are still in touch with high school friends, and/or by those who are nostalgic by nature (or who have become so with the passage of time).
Last edited by bcjb on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Paying $200+ per ticket for 3 hours of booze and hot buffet and driving in rush hour traffic on a Friday evening is not very Boglehead like.
Hmmm... Our reunion tickets were less than $90 each, included an excellent buffet and open bar (I don't drink alcohol, btw), and a DJ. The reunion was on Saturday night, thus no traffic.

Some Bogleheads enjoy meeting old friends for an evening that was both fun and memorable. I did!

I'm also looking forward to the upcoming Boglehead convention. Different strokes, I guess.
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

We moved to my high school town in the 9th grade, and I never really shook off the outsider tag (small to midsized town). I was good at athletics, so that gave me a free pass to run with the "in" crowd, and I even got to date the prettiest girl in school, but I never really felt like I fit in. I moved away after school and rarely kept in touch with anyone. I skipped our 10th reunion, and really didn't want to go to our 20th, but felt compelled. Maybe 33% of the class showed up, and the outsider tag seemed to remain, probably because I moved away. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to see everyone, though. For our 30th, about 25% of the class showed up. All the girls were fat, not that there's anything wrong with a little heft. Many of my old high school friends were not there. I won't be attending anymore reunions; I think I've done my duty.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

First one I went to was the 25th and I have been back every 5 years through 55th (last year). I went to school in Washington State and the closest I lived to there, while attending, was near Chicago. I am now in NC and enjoy the trips back to see "God's" country! :happy
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
rec7

Post by rec7 »

The thing you find out is many people do not change over time. I think that is one of the main lessons of reunions.
Last edited by rec7 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

The first reunion which I attended was my 35th (Lee High School, Jacksonville Florida class of 1951) I had lost touch with the class before that one. I received a letter from my mother and my sister with a newspaper ad and a photograph of large bill boards which were put up over and around the city up to south Georgia advertising it. "Attend Lee High School Class of 1951 35th reunion" They went all out to organize it with a banquet and orchestra at a resort in St. Augustine, Florida. 75% of the class of 360 attended, including me. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were experiences which I dare not tell.. I then attended the 45th, 50th, 55th and 60th. There won't be any more large functions with dance bands and banquets. We are getting fewer in numbers. At the 60th (90 attended) everyone was in bed well before midnight!!!! The band played for themselves!! The leaders (who are still around) now have only monthly luncheons with mostly locals attending; however, some from distances occasionally attend. They are advertised by email. I will be attending one in September (500 miles away.) I am calling it my 63rd class reunion. I will enjoy it, I know. That may be my last one. We will sing our old fight song ,though,
Cheer for the Blue and Gray
Waving Forever
Pride of old Robert E. Lee
May she droop never..
We sing a song for the boys that play
May we win the game today
On to the goal we will fight our way
for Robert E. Lee.

The school still exists. In 1987 the school almost completely burned down. There was a huge reunion of all alumni of the school from 1926 to 1987 within months of the fire. Thousands of alumni attended to support the rebuilding it. Alumni donations of over $1 million almost completely paid for the rebuilding. The school exists and looks today as it did in my youth.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Jazztonight wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Paying $200+ per ticket for 3 hours of booze and hot buffet and driving in rush hour traffic on a Friday evening is not very Boglehead like.
Hmmm... Our reunion tickets were less than $90 each, included an excellent buffet and open bar (I don't drink alcohol, btw), and a DJ. The reunion was on Saturday night, thus no traffic.
I would imagine the price really does depend on the venue. I noticed that there were several other reunions advertised for my high school in the same section of the local newspaper. They all started with the relatively inexpensive option of attending the homecoming football game in the fall and all had a formal dinner/gathering the next night. The venues for the dinner ranged from the relatively inexpensive (local restaurants) to the relatively expensive (local country clubs). The older reunions (50th, 65th, etc) seemed to have the more expensive venue choices.