2014 Honda Civic EX-L vs 2014 Acura ILX(Base)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
prn27

2014 Honda Civic EX-L vs 2014 Acura ILX(Base)

Post by prn27 »

Hi everyone,
I am debating between the 2014 Honda Civic EX-L and 2014 Acura ILX(Base)?

Price for the Civic is: ~$23500
Price for the ILX is: ~$27800

I plan to pay cash for purchase. I can get all the bells and whistles I need with the Civic EX-L, so I am leaning towards that. But would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank You.
LAlearning

Re: 2014 Honda Civic EX-L vs 2014 Acura ILX(Base)

Post by LAlearning »

Would not get the ILX base.
Only would get for the 2.4L 6MT.

Go for the civic at that price/options difference.
I know nothing!
TRC

Post by TRC »

Acrua's are much nicer than Honda's IMO. I owned a TL for several years and recently traded for a Toyota 4runner. I'm debating going back to the TL since I miss it so much. The Honda Accord is no comparison to the Acura TL. I don't know much about the ILX, but the money difference isn't all that significant. Have you test drove both? Price aside, what do you like better?
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Mazda6 or Mazda3 would be my choice. Fun to drive and great MPG.
Or an Accord? I just can't see paying mid $20k's for something the size of a Civic (same goes with the 3, although I have a soft spot for hatchbacks).
freddie

Post by freddie »

TRC wrote:Acrua's are much nicer than Honda's IMO. I owned a TL for several years and recently traded for a Toyota 4runner. I'm debating going back to the TL since I miss it so much. The Honda Accord is no comparison to the Acura TL. I don't know much about the ILX, but the money difference isn't all that significant. Have you test drove both? Price aside, what do you like better?
For the same price pretty much everyone would take the ILX. The question is it worth 4k (+higher operating costs) more money or would you be happier spending that cash on a hobby?
huntertheory

Post by huntertheory »

As a rule of thumb Acura's are almost literally the same cars --down to the part level -- as Honda's but with nicer interiors and exteriors. A $4k difference isn't bad, but it's a judgment call for you regarding how much the other stuff matters to you.
Toons

Post by Toons »

IlX,,,,,4 grand difference,,,,you can't take it with you ,,Enjoy the fruits of your labor. :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

TRC wrote:Acrua's are much nicer than Honda's IMO. I owned a TL for several years and recently traded for a Toyota 4runner. I'm debating going back to the TL since I miss it so much. The Honda Accord is no comparison to the Acura TL. I don't know much about the ILX, but the money difference isn't all that significant. Have you test drove both? Price aside, what do you like better?
I did test drive both and honestly, the drive felt the same. From what I understand, the Acura ILX is the premium version of the Civic and the cars are quite similar in components. The TL is a lot more premium than the ILX which is the entry level Acura.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

huntertheory wrote:As a rule of thumb Acura's are almost literally the same cars --down to the part level -- as Honda's but with nicer interiors and exteriors. A $4k difference isn't bad, but it's a judgment call for you regarding how much the other stuff matters to you.

That's exactly what I have read as well. Basically, with the EX-L, I get all the premium interior features I want in the car without the Acura badge and pricing. So I guess I need to decide if the "premium" brand really matters to me. Thanks.
asnigro

Post by asnigro »

I found when comparing the Honda Pilot Touring edition vs the base Acura MDX that the base Acura's comprise a lot of the higher level Honda accessories/features.

Did you compare the differences in accessories/features between the two?

I decided on the Honda Pilot Touring, but more due to the size (pilot has 8 passenger seating) versus and lack of accessory.
ndesai

Post by ndesai »

I got the Acura TSX about 6 months ago. It's 3-4 years old, but Certified Pre-Owned for about $24,000.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

Since you are considering Acura, it sounds like you have not owned Lexus/Acura/Infiniti level cars but interested in these brands. If you want to own that type of brand at least once in your life, ILX will be a cheaper option. If you find out that it's not worth owning such brand, then you will not waste any more $$$ in the future. If you find out you like these brands, then you will continue to buy them.

I had a similar experience. When young, I drove perhaps the most expensive car among my friends. But I learned that it meant nothing.

I'm not saying buying those brands is bad. It's a personal preference. So try it out and find out what matters to you. If you can find it out without buying, then it will be better, though.
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

acegolfer wrote:Since you are considering Acura, it sounds like you have not owned Lexus/Acura/Infiniti level cars but interested in these brands. If you want to own that type of brand at least once in your life, ILX will be a cheaper option. If you find out that it's not worth owning such brand, then you will not waste any more $$$ in the future. If you find out you like these brands, then you will continue to buy them.

I had a similar experience. When young, I drove perhaps the most expensive car among my friends. But I learned that it meant nothing.

I'm not saying buying those brands is bad. It's a personal preference. So try it out and find out what matters to you. If you can find it out without buying, then it will be better, though.
Thank you for your feedback. I currently own a 2003 Infiniti G35, which I bough pre-owned in 2010 and love it. But for my next car, I have a list of features that I would like and the premium brand isn't really that important.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

ndesai wrote:I got the Acura TSX about 6 months ago. It's 3-4 years old, but Certified Pre-Owned for about $24,000.
Thanks, I was also considering the CPO route for a 2 year old ILX. I will try to find the options available.
marielake

Post by marielake »

Many years ago, I went from a Honda Accord down to a Toyotta Corolla to save some money. I hated the car-it felt too light and cheap. I sold a short time later and bought another Accord. I wonder if you wouldn't have the same experience after driving an Infiniti. I now drive an 8 year old Acura tsx that I bought used over another new Accord for the same price. I could have tossed a coin and made the decision; would have been happy with either. For my next car, I plan to go to the luxury scale, buying used.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Has there ever, in the history of mankind, been a more successful undertaking than the automobile marketing machine ???
Toons

Post by Toons »

Crimsontide wrote:Has there ever, in the history of mankind, been a more successful undertaking than the automobile marketing machine ???
+1Excellent question :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

prn27 wrote: Thank you for your feedback. I currently own a 2003 Infiniti G35, which I bough pre-owned in 2010 and love it. But for my next car, I have a list of features that I would like and the premium brand isn't really that important.
Sorry for my wrong assumption.

G35 is an excellent car. I'm surprised to hear you want to upgrade a 4 year old car.

For Civic vs ILX, as many stated, the 2 are virtually the same except for interior and exterior. I drive a used Civic-LX and couldn't be any happier. Less worries due to low maintenance cost, lower insurance premium, not worrying about getting nicked in a parking lot, etc. In short, freedom of mind, which is valuable to me.

I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Good luck!
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

acegolfer wrote:
prn27 wrote: Thank you for your feedback. I currently own a 2003 Infiniti G35, which I bough pre-owned in 2010 and love it. But for my next car, I have a list of features that I would like and the premium brand isn't really that important.
Sorry for my wrong assumption.

G35 is an excellent car. I'm surprised to hear you want to upgrade a 4 year old car.

For Civic vs ILX, as many stated, the 2 are virtually the same except for interior and exterior. I drive a used Civic-LX and couldn't be any happier. Less worries due to low maintenance cost, lower insurance premium, not worrying about getting nicked in a parking lot, etc. In short, freedom of mind, which is valuable to me.

I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Good luck!
Thanks. Its actually 11 years old now, so that's why I am thinking about selling it in the next few months and buying a new car while I can still get about $5-6K for it. The Civic definitely has a lot of advantages as you list as well as the fact that the EX-L variant has a lot of the bells and whistles.
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

Crimsontide wrote:Has there ever, in the history of mankind, been a more successful undertaking than the automobile marketing machine ???
Diamonds :)
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

prn27 wrote: Thanks. Its actually 11 years old now
Sorry again. Misread it. Apparently, I'm having a bad day today.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Get a slightly used Acura TSX instead.The TSX is a really great car. I've been driving one for 10 years. (And, btw, it's the Acura most comparable to an Accord, not the TL). If you want the smaller engine/better gas mileage of the ILX/Civic, I'd vote for the ILX. You'll get some of the price difference back if you ever decide to sell. Acuras have a very high resale value.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

Rupert wrote:Get a slightly used Acura TSX instead.The TSX is a really great car. I've been driving one for 10 years. (And, btw, it's the Acura most comparable to an Accord, not the TL). If you want the smaller engine/better gas mileage of the ILX/Civic, I'd vote for the ILX. You'll get some of the price difference back if you ever decide to sell. Acuras have a very high resale value.
I do want something smaller so ILX/Civic are just the right size. I will look in to pre-owned TSX as well to see if I can something recent in that price range.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

acegolfer wrote:
prn27 wrote: Thanks. Its actually 11 years old now
Sorry again. Misread it. Apparently, I'm having a bad day today.
LOL, no problem. Thanks for your feedback.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

HornedToad wrote:
Diamonds :)
+1 Hats off to DeBeers.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I started my life in Hondas and then upgraded to the Acura brand buying the Civic equivalent mainly because the safety features on the Acura version were better. VSA/TC were not offered on the Civic until recently but now that major safety features are pretty much the same, I would just go with the car you like the most and that you can easily afford. Hondas are great vehicles.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

6miths wrote:I started my life in Hondas and then upgraded to the Acura brand buying the Civic equivalent mainly because the safety features on the Acura version were better. VSA/TC were not offered on the Civic until recently but now that major safety features are pretty much the same, I would just go with the car you like the most and that you can easily afford. Hondas are great vehicles.
Thanks for your feedback.
chuppi

Post by chuppi »

Toons wrote:IlX,,,,,4 grand difference,,,,you can't take it with you ,,Enjoy the fruits of your labor. :sharebeer
I second that. I think buy and hold principle applies here as well. If you plan to keep it for 10 years, the difference is just 400$ a year. ILX may fetch a little bit more when you sell.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

If you want to wait until later in the year, you could check out the upcoming crossover Honda HR-V. It's based on the new Fit, but with greater size, and presumably it will have all the current features that might appeal to you, including the Magic Seat of the Fit with incredible internal storage. I was set to get the new Fit, but I didn't want to have buyer's remorse if the HR-V came out and I liked it better. Hopefully the price, MPG, features, and driveability will make it worth the wait. I love the storage and size of my Toyota Matrix, so something like that without SUV size sounds appealing to me.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

rj49 wrote:If you want to wait until later in the year, you could check out the upcoming crossover Honda HR-V. It's based on the new Fit, but with greater size, and presumably it will have all the current features that might appeal to you, including the Magic Seat of the Fit with incredible internal storage. I was set to get the new Fit, but I didn't want to have buyer's remorse if the HR-V came out and I liked it better. Hopefully the price, MPG, features, and driveability will make it worth the wait. I love the storage and size of my Toyota Matrix, so something like that without SUV size sounds appealing to me.
Did not know about the HR-V till now, looks interesting. I guess it might make sense to wait for the 2015 models of civic/ILX as well so I can compare.
BigTom

Post by BigTom »

Isn't all the bells and whistles included in the Acura also . I am guessing not much difference but a bit nicer interior in the Acura .

The are mechanically the exact same car . Is the Acura AWD ? That could be the only difference mechanically the Acura may have some extra fancy features . Idk I never seen the ILX . I know if it was a comparison from accord to TL I'd prefer the TL . Just cause it's so much nicer inside I know the TL is AWD and the accord isn't and the TL is standard 6 cyl could be good or bad depending how you value gas milage .
usnaron

Post by usnaron »

My brother just bought a new 2014 Accord LX and I cannot believe the features that come in the base model these days. It even has a rear camera displayed on a pretty large screen up front. It also comes with alloy wheels and not the hubcaps the LX used to come with. He got it for under 19k too. I think the biggest difference between a honda and an acura is the sound insulation. You can definitely hear the wind and road noise on the hwy.
communipaw

Post by communipaw »

Doesn't the ILX have a substantially longer warranty than the Civic?
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

The auto industry was not very successful. Note how many auto companies have gone out of business or gone through bankruptcy like GM and Chrysler. Most of the fortunes that have been made due to the invention of the automobile were in suburban real estate.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

BigTom wrote:Isn't all the bells and whistles included in the Acura also . I am guessing not much difference but a bit nicer interior in the Acura .

The are mechanically the exact same car . Is the Acura AWD ? That could be the only difference mechanically the Acura may have some extra fancy features . Idk I never seen the ILX . I know if it was a comparison from accord to TL I'd prefer the TL . Just cause it's so much nicer inside I know the TL is AWD and the accord isn't and the TL is standard 6 cyl could be good or bad depending how you value gas milage .
Yes, they are, but it comes at a cost. The interior of the Acura is slightly nicer than the Civic EX-L. No, the Acura is not AWD. Both have a similar engine and the Civic definitely has better mileage.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

usnaron wrote:My brother just bought a new 2014 Accord LX and I cannot believe the features that come in the base model these days. It even has a rear camera displayed on a pretty large screen up front. It also comes with alloy wheels and not the hubcaps the LX used to come with. He got it for under 19k too. I think the biggest difference between a honda and an acura is the sound insulation. You can definitely hear the wind and road noise on the hwy.
Yeah, it's nice that features like Bluetooth & rear-view camera are standard on the 2014 Civic/Accord. Absolutely agree, the Acura has much better sound insulation than the Civic. I should test drive them again keeping that in mind to see if I can quantify the difference in the road noise.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

communipaw wrote:Doesn't the ILX have a substantially longer warranty than the Civic?
Thanks a lot for pointing this out. I had not actually considered the difference, turns out the Acura does have a longer warranty compared to Honda:

Acura
Vehicle 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty
Powertrain 6-year/70,000-mile limited warranty
Outer body rust-through 5-year/unlimited-mile limited warranty
Acura Genuine Accessories 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty
Acura Total Luxury Care® (TLC®) with Roadside Assistance 4-year/50,000-mile
Seat Belts 15-year/150,000-mile limited warranty

Honda
3-Year/36,000-Mile New-Vehicle Limited Warranty.
5-Year/60,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty: Ordinary maintenance or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement, and certain items are excluded.
Accessory Limited Warranty: All Honda Genuine Accessories are covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles when installed at the time of new-vehicle purchase.
Replacement Parts Limited Warranty: Honda Genuine Parts are covered for 1 year. The warranty coverage for replacement parts purchased from and installed by a Honda dealer includes parts replacement and labor.
Remanufactured Parts Limited Warranty: Every Honda Genuine Remanufactured Part is backed nationwide for 3 years or 36,000 miles.
5-Year/Unlimited-Miles Corrosion Limited Warranty.

Question is, how do I quantify this to a dollar amount. How much is a longer(1 year, ~ 10K) warranty worth? Any thoughts?
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

I wouldnt put too much thought into the warranty issue.
While the extra year/10K miles is nice, remember that 99% of the parts are similar.

The engines are exactly the same. The transmission and drive train are exactly the same. No reason one should outlast the other.
I know nothing!
communipaw

Post by communipaw »

Question is, how do I quantify this to a dollar amount. How much is a longer(1 year, ~ 10K) warranty worth? Any thoughts?
To me, the extra year warranty and the original parts/accessories difference, added to the positive points others have mentioned about the ILX would make the price difference so small that I would not overthink it.
Imbros

Post by Imbros »

I test drove an ILX yesterday (I was just curious) and while it is a decent car, it is definitely under powered when equipped with 2.0 liter standard engine.
I would recommend checking out Mazda 3, which is about the same size, better balanced and may be a few thousand dollar less than ILX with the same equipment.
Mazda 6 and TSX would be great alternatives as well.
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

Imbros wrote:I test drove an ILX yesterday (I was just curious) and while it is a decent car, it is definitely under powered when equipped with 2.0 liter standard engine.
I would recommend checking out Mazda 3, which is about the same size, better balanced and may be a few thousand dollar less than ILX with the same equipment.
Yeah, it's not a real fun car to drive, but I am ok with that after having driven a 3.5L V6 for the past 4 years. I have considered the new Mazda3, but I am concerned about their reliability and re-sale value.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

Another thing I just realized is that I have to put premium gas in the Acura(reccomended).
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

A little bit of a different answer:

I am on my 2nd Lexus ES model, which I buy used.

The Lexus ES is essentially a Toyota Camry with VERY smooth handling and VERY comfortable interior.

The reason I went this route over the Acura (TL or TSX) was because of price;
these cars depreciate faster; New they run around 38k or so loaded; I get a 4-5 year old model for cheap- my first was a 2005 ES 330 I bought pre-owned certified in 2009 for 16k, my second is a 2007 ES 350 I bought from a Nissan (!) dealer last year when someone totaled my first one for 15k.

They are very reliable, comfortable, and easy on the eyes.
They're also unbelievably CHEAP 4-5 years out, but then depreciate a lot slower after the first few years (I was paid $13k by insurance for my totaled car, 4.5 years after I bought it for 16k.)

I think it's a nice boglehead vehicle.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

prn27 wrote:
Imbros wrote:I test drove an ILX yesterday (I was just curious) and while it is a decent car, it is definitely under powered when equipped with 2.0 liter standard engine.
Yeah, it's not a real fun car to drive, but I am ok with that after having driven a 3.5L V6 for the past 4 years. I have considered the new Mazda3, but I am concerned about their reliability and re-sale value.
FWIW, my extended family only drive Honda and Acura, but my 9 year old Mazda3 has been as reliable as all of theirs. What I might lose on resale I negated with a very good purchase price. I still love driving the car, and I'd only let it go for a newer model, which ain't happening anytime soon.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

boroc7 wrote:
prn27 wrote:
FWIW, my extended family only drive Honda and Acura, but my 9 year old Mazda3 has been as reliable as all of theirs. What I might lose on resale I negated with a very good purchase price. I still love driving the car, and I'd only let it go for a newer model, which ain't happening anytime soon.
Good to know! Their new Mazda3 is definitely an interesting option.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

prn27 wrote:
boroc7 wrote:
prn27 wrote:
Good to know! Their new Mazda3 is definitely an interesting option.
Two of the reasons I settled on the Mazda3 vs other cars was the fact that I could use regular gas, and when I checked insurance rates, it was cheaper than some of the other slightly sportier cars I was looking at. One of the things I didn't like about Hondas, at the time living in CA, was that the rates (at least for me) were looking a lot higher than Mazda, since they (or their air bags) are so very popular to steal. Another thing to look into with the cost between Honda & Acura is that while they use very similar parts, Acuras are generally more expensive to maintain being dubbed a luxury car, and the insurance rates are higher. There are a lot of better cars I'd enjoy driving, but the price of maintenance and insurance would kill the joy. So that few thousand dollar difference you're considering I think will be higher over the life of the car. Something to look into if you haven't already.
Topic Author
prn27

Post by prn27 »

Two of the reasons I settled on the Mazda3 vs other cars was the fact that I could use regular gas, and when I checked insurance rates, it was cheaper than some of the other slightly sportier cars I was looking at. One of the things I didn't like about Hondas, at the time living in CA, was that the rates (at least for me) were looking a lot higher than Mazda, since they (or their air bags) are so very popular to steal. Another thing to look into with the cost between Honda & Acura is that while they use very similar parts, Acuras are generally more expensive to maintain being dubbed a luxury car, and the insurance rates are higher. There are a lot of better cars I'd enjoy driving, but the price of maintenance and insurance would kill the joy. So that few thousand dollar difference you're considering I think will be higher over the life of the car. Something to look into if you haven't already.
I totally agree, the cost of ownership of the premium brands are more throughout the life of the car. I priced the Mazda3(2014 MAZDA3 i Grand Touring 4-Door) and it is about $1000 more than the Civic EX-L.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

prn27 wrote:
I totally agree, the cost of ownership of the premium brands are more throughout the life of the car. I priced the Mazda3(2014 MAZDA3 i Grand Touring 4-Door) and it is about $1000 more than the Civic EX-L.
I've found Mazda dealers more willing to give an inch, but I guess it just depends on your local market. One thing I read that I thought was pretty insane was that you can load up on the options and get the Mazda3 to be over $30k! Yikes...not sure what the thinking was there. Definitely worth a test drive at least, to see if you like the feel. The tight steering and control of the car was what got me. Let us know what you end up with.
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

The Civic and ILX are indeed very similar cars.
I noticed that the ILX didn't come with a spare tire (none at all) - at least, the model I tested didn't - and do not know if the Civic has one included. To some people, that's a real deal breaker, the presence or absence of any spare tire .... I know people who have bought a car (like a Kia Rio ...) not even realizing that it had NO spare (just a 'kit' consisting of a can of some kind of sealant....) Some people don't mind that.... but just thought I'd mention it so you can look into that.

If you're going to compare the ILX to the TSX, the TSX seemed (to me as a test driver) a much nicer vehicle. The TSX was much more fun to drive. I believe that the Acura ILX is a fairly new Acura model whereas you may get a wonderful price on the outgoing TSX (it is now being discontinued so you could probably get a great buy on one!). :happy

Hope you enjoy whatever it is you decide to get!
B.